Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM

222 502272 May 8, 2015
ef_35_14_1_

L-series professional f/1.4 wide-angle lens with an aspherical lens element to correct aberrations. The floating system enables high picture quality to be obtained over the entire focusing range. Autofocusing is quick and quiet with rear focusing and ring USM. Full-time manual focusing is also possible.

Diagonal Angle of View: 63°
Focus Adjustment: Rear focusing system with USM
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.3m / 1 ft.
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.1" x 3.4", 20.5 oz. / 79.0 x 86.0mm, 580g

erikburd

Registered: Feb 3, 2010
Review Date: Mar 24, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent for low light, VERY sharp (even at f/1.4), built like a tank, fast AF, great focal length for crop bodies
Cons:
Price, lens hood is bit tight (design issue?), no weather seal (minor issue I can easily live with, but nice to have of course)

My lens code is UZ0106, for what's it worth.

I bought this lens as for low light and as a walk-around lens on my 450D. I now have Canon's "Holy Trinity".

This lens is incredibly sharp, even at f/1.4. It's built like a tank and feels very solid. The manual focus is excellent, and the AF is always spot on. I really like it's relatively small size, which makes it less conspicuous.

The bokeh is incredibly smooth, and the colors are excellent.

Two gripes:
1) The price tag ($1400) is a bit steep, but I guess you get what you pay for...
2) The lens hood is very tight, and I'm unable to reverse it for storage. I noticed this on a rental as well. Perhaps something with the design? I'm afraid to twist any further, as I don't want to break the lens hood.

Mar 24, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add erikburd to your Buddy List
ChrisPiX

Registered: Mar 3, 2011
Review Date: Mar 3, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp on my 5DII and great bokeh if used right.
Cons:
Focused horribly with my 7D.

I bought this lens used a year ago, and used it the first couple of months with my 7D, and later with 5DII.

First I was very dissapointed, since my 35L couldn't focus properly on my 7D. It back focused on long distances and front focussed on short, so I couldn't even Micro adjust it properly. And trust me, it was way off! I send it to Canon service who returned it saying it was ok within specs. They suggested that they had a look of my 7D, but I refused since all my other lenses worked great.

A few months later I replaced my 7D with a 5DII, and suddenly my 35L/5DII combo focused perfectly!
I never found out what the problem was with my 7D, but it almost made me loose faith in the 35L, minus 1 for that.

Now I am so happy with it, I often use it at f1.4 and it delivers beautiful photos with great bokeh.

Mar 3, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ChrisPiX to your Buddy List
martinpperry

Registered: Feb 21, 2011
Review Date: Feb 27, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Bokeh, colour and contrast all spot on.. Great images straight out of the camera.
Cons:
Quite expensive but I guess you get what you pay for.

I love this lens and, although I have only used it for a few weeks, I can see this being on my 5DII a lot of the time. It's fast, the creamy bokeh is magical and images look great without the need for hardly any PP. I find that any 'tweaking' I do doesn't actually improve images straight out of the camera. A classic lens.

Feb 27, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add martinpperry to your Buddy List
Elja

Registered: Feb 21, 2011
Review Date: Feb 21, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, solid build, smooth bokeh
Cons:
Pricy

I bought this lens about three months ago and I absolutly love it! It produces very sharp images with a smooth bokeh.

I personally prefer this 35mm f/1.4 to the Canon 50mm f/1.4. This lens enables you to use more of the surroundings in a portret in a more natural way.

Great on full-frame!
I love it in combination with my Canon 5D mark II.

Feb 21, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Elja to your Buddy List
retrofocus

Registered: Apr 19, 2007
Review Date: Feb 12, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast lens, well built, sharp, excellent bokeh, fast AF
Cons:
none so far

Bought this lens as a used copy produced in 2006. The lens is very sharp even at f1.4 with a shallow DoF. The bokeh is superb and just blows you away. The 72 mm filter size diameter and the large front lens provides you with a lot of light. This leads to a very good and edge-on AF on my full frame 5DII camera wide open at f1.4. Excellent bokeh wide open, too.

The built style is good even the body itself is made of plastic. The lens is not too heavy in my opinion and not too large either.

I will use it for some portrait stuff and to create special DoF effects, also to take photos under low light conditions without flash.

Feb 12, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add retrofocus to your Buddy List
eMilk

Registered: Jun 15, 2010
Location: Iceland
Review Date: Jan 5, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,370.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent colors, insanely beautiful bokeh, fast accurate focus, a pleasure to use.
Cons:
Heavy, pricey.

I had this lens last summer, and I loved it. I have been going through alot of lenses recently, and this one I miss the most. The bokeh is to die for, and the color rendition is beautiful.

Not much to say, except, if you want a prime, that gives you f/1.4, has L-build quality, and is sharp and makes lovely photos. Then go for it. (If you have the money of course.)

Jan 5, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add eMilk to your Buddy List
beeber00

Registered: Jul 21, 2008
Review Date: Dec 30, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, f 1.4, sharpness, colors, bla bla..
Cons:
Redundant reviews.

I know what you're thinking - hey Beeber, how come you always leave 10's? Well ladies, I cant help the fact that everything I get is good. After all, I DID buy much of my gear after I read what other people on Fred Miranda thought of those items.

After getting this lens, its done nothing but echo what everyone on this website is saying. Yea, the price tag may turn some people off (unless youre an old man with lots of money.. wait. Thats this website!), but if you want to find a deal, subscribe to the BUY AND SELL BOARD and find one on there! Not only are you helping out your fellow photographer, but youre helping keep Fred Miranda from getting a REAL job.

If you got the money, buy this lens. Everything you take will look better than it does in real life. If you use this lens on a full-frame camera, keep in mind that it does have noticeable vignetting when used at f 1.4 (thats when there are black corners). Its subtle and NOT a reason not to buy this. Mine focused fast and accurately.

If you have the money, get it! If you don't, the 35 f 2.0 is also very good (thought not AS good).

Dec 30, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add beeber00 to your Buddy List
agnesleung

Registered: Dec 12, 2010
Review Date: Dec 12, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: built, size & weight, sharpness, color, contrast, 1.4 aperture, bokeh.
Cons:
no weather seal, body finishing not as great as newer L-lens, a bit pricey.

This is a VERY SHARP lens, even at 1.4. I love it's range, when used with a full frame.

I also have a canon 50mm f1.4, which is also one of my favorite lens, I have to admit that the 50mm is no way comparable to 35L's sharpness until it stopped down to f2.8.

The color and saturation is also awesome! I don't have to do any PS work for over 90% of the photos taken with this lens!

My sample album taken with this lens:

Two 100% crop comparisons:

vs

and;

vs

Dec 12, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add agnesleung to your Buddy List
NDP_2010

Registered: Jun 7, 2010
Review Date: Dec 12, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp wide open, very sharp stopped down. Fast focus, wide aperture. Overall IQ is very pleasing
Cons:
CA's can be extreme wide open and in harsh conditions. Build could be a little better

I have found the lens to produce very sharp images at f/1.4 and get slightly sharper f/2.8-f/4. These images are razor sharp. The colours / contrast increases a little stopping down.

The focus is fast and smoothe, and generally accurate, however, it does play up a bit with inconsistant focus on my 1D3.
The overall construction is quite good, however I think it is not as solid as other L primes. This is not a big problem as it is not designed to be bashed around.

The hood is nice and effective.

CA's wide open are quite significant, especially with backlit subjects. Not sure if any wide , fast lens out there is free from this though.

Overall excellent lens, and a very nice focal length I have found on 1.6x 1.3x and FF bodies.

Dec 12, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add NDP_2010 to your Buddy List
craniof

Registered: Oct 2, 2010
Review Date: Oct 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:
Oct 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add craniof to your Buddy List
Todd Klassy

Registered: Sep 27, 2010
Review Date: Sep 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor sharp, beautiful bokeh, and amazing color rendition. And like virtually all Canon L-lenses, this lens is very well built.
Cons:

The Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM is often considered one of Holy Trinity of Canon's prime lenses (which also includes the 135mm f/2L and 85mm f/1.2L), and rightly so. Aside from not having IS, which is not a significant absence for this sort of lens, it is an amazing piece of hardware and worth every penny.

Also, this is the only lens in my collection I have dropped it on hard pavement more than once. Each time I cringed, worrying about the results. However, like a Timex watch, this lens has taken a beating, but keeps on ticking.

I have owned this lens now for many years and it's hard to find fault with this lens. The photographs it captures makes it an easy choice for any photographer. It still performs very well on cameras with large sensors, too (i.e. the Canon 5D Mark II).

Here are some examples of photographs I have taken with this fine lens:

Sep 28, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Todd Klassy to your Buddy List
trigrad

Registered: Jan 26, 2010
Review Date: Sep 13, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Almost everything
Cons:
CA in some scenes

If not for the longitudinal CA, this would be just about perfect.

The build doesn't bother me - decent focus ring feel, and good fit and finish. Don't think I'd want it any heavier, so I'm ok with good plastics (and this is made with good plastics for sure).

Focus is very quick and accurate even in very low light (with a moderate amount of MA). Contrast and color are excellent.

The CA isn't a deal breaker for me. The other attributes make up for that, although I'd jump at a II that kept the current positives with a reduction in CA.

Sep 13, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add trigrad to your Buddy List
placek

Registered: Jul 26, 2010
Location: Poland
Review Date: Aug 15, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp,Sharp,Sharp,Sharp,Sharp! Even at f 1.4.
Cons:
Plastic!

I shoot mainly weddings and when a friend of mine convinced me to check this lens out. I was confused…. fast moving subjects and no zooming possibility hmmm… sounded like a mission impossible. I shoot two weddings since then. After the first one I was confused even more. How is it possible to take 95%!!!!! of razor sharp images at F 1.4-2.0. Well the second wedding confirmed it… The combination on a wide angle lens and a wide aperture gives a stunning result. This thing is SHARP at f/1.4. Hopefully it helps. I am sorry for my English. Not my native language. Greeting form Poland!

P.S.

One other thing do NOT be misled. The DOF is shallow with the close up objects… if you shoot a FF and try to catch for example a couple dancing… the DOF is much easier to catch. You will be able to use Al servo in all the focus points with 90 % accuracy. The AF is fast and thanks to the wide angle the DOF is not as shallow as you would think. The bokeh.....OMG!!!!

Aug 15, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add placek to your Buddy List
hatch1921

Registered: May 12, 2005
Review Date: Jul 16, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,260.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp! Great color and contrast. Hits at F/1.4 and does it well. Love the bokeh!!!
Cons:

Made use of the Bing cash back and Mr.Rebates.com... picked the lens up for $1260.

Bokeh is fantastic on this lens! I sold the Canon 24-70 to fund this lens...very pleased I did.

Well worth the money IMO.
Hatch

Full res samples here.

Jul 16, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hatch1921 to your Buddy List
felipin

Registered: Dec 1, 2005
Review Date: Jun 16, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, color, contrast.
Cons:

If you are a photographer, you MUST learn to shoot with a 35mm lens. And if you are a Canon photographer, you MUST choose this gem.

Jun 16, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add felipin to your Buddy List
leftheaded

Registered: May 2, 2007
Review Date: Jun 7, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp fun lowlight indoor street
Cons:

this is my main walk around lens with a full frame sensor (5d mark 2). me and my family simply love the results this combo delivers. so fun

Jun 7, 2010