Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM

222 500494 May 8, 2015
ef_35_14_1_

L-series professional f/1.4 wide-angle lens with an aspherical lens element to correct aberrations. The floating system enables high picture quality to be obtained over the entire focusing range. Autofocusing is quick and quiet with rear focusing and ring USM. Full-time manual focusing is also possible.

Diagonal Angle of View: 63į
Focus Adjustment: Rear focusing system with USM
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.3m / 1 ft.
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.1" x 3.4", 20.5 oz. / 79.0 x 86.0mm, 580g

davidmarsh

Registered: Oct 26, 2004
Review Date: Mar 3, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great feel, quality, clarity
Cons:
the price, as usual with canon

Whilst this is an amazing lens i recently carried out a simple test by taking the same set of images with the EF 35MM F1.4 L, the 16-35 F2.8 L and the 24-70 F2.8 L. Both the 35mm and the 16-35 gave almost identical quality all around the frame area at every F stop i used. Indeed, it was the 24-70 that fell down in only a few areas. Obviously I set the zoom on both lenses to 35 to match the fixed prime 35mm. I had convinced myself that i needed prime lenses for my HDr work but now not so sure!! See...http://www.hdrimaging.co.uk Most of these taken with the 16-35 F2.8 L lens.

Mar 3, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add davidmarsh to your Buddy List
Kevin Sherman

Registered: Nov 11, 2006
Review Date: Jan 19, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It's a 35L. Beautiful backgrounds, four times the light from the already fast f2.8L lenses I have. Fantastic focal length on a FF 5DM2.
Cons:
Costs a bunch.

Lovely lovely lens. I rented it a few times, borrowed from a friend a few times and finally broke down and bought my very own. There's a great price for this lens new right now with the rebates.

This lens will get you the images no other lens can.

Jan 19, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kevin Sherman to your Buddy List
mediluz

Registered: Jan 13, 2006
Review Date: Dec 23, 2011 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Well built and balanced; sharp at 5.6-8; excellent color rendering; very good control of distortion
Cons:
Very soft on the borders up to 5.6; expensive

The lens is well built and easy to handle, perfectly matching in balance the camera body for my hand size.
Focusing is silent , sometimes inaccurate ( as not infrequently happens with any lens with my 5 Mk II).
Yes it shoots 1.4, but images are really sharp in the center only starting at f.4 in the center and 5.6 on the borders, where resolution is really floppy fully open and up to 2.8. Vignetting is acceptable.
Colour is excellent; distortion and CA very good.
Since a 1.4 lens is supposed to be used at full aperture, the 35 f1.4, albeit a good one, was under expectations and IMHO is not worth its price.

Dec 23, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mediluz to your Buddy List
boris342

Registered: Oct 28, 2004
Review Date: Dec 20, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: light weight, sharp, great bokeh, colour, contrast
Cons:

This lens is canon's best lens. I have the 200 F1.8, the 50 1.0, the 85 1.2, and I still go to this lens the most.

It's colour and contrast is amazing, it's sharpness at 1.4 is fantastic, and it renders it's out of focus area's beautifully.

This lens wide open and the 85 f1.2, make a dream wedding set up.

I consider this on par with a few of my leica lenses which are 5-6 times more expensive.

Kudos to canon for this lens.

www.lekkerphoto.com

Dec 20, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add boris342 to your Buddy List
tororo

Registered: May 26, 2010
Review Date: Nov 5, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Center sharpness at 1.4, build quality, flare resistance, AF accuracy, USM
Cons:
No weather shield, nervous bokeh at wide aperture (but this is normal for any wide-angle lens with aspherical lens elements)

This lens produces amazing center sharpness even at 1.4. The bokeh is far from ideal, but acceptable, which is the tendency with any wide-angle lens with aspherical lens elements. EF 35/2 is totally unacceptable due to very nervous bokeh.
If you don't need AF, go for Samyang 35/1.4 or Zeiss 35/1.4. The center sharpness and bokeh quality are on par with 35/1.4L but the corner sharpness at wider apertures is better than 35/1.4L. Nikon 35/1.4 AIS produces unacceptably nervous bokeh.

Samples at wide open:

Samples showing nervous bokeh at wide open:

Low light samples at wide open:

Nov 5, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tororo to your Buddy List
maxben21

Registered: Oct 23, 2011
Location: Mexico
Review Date: Oct 23, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, excellent colour rendition with 5D mark II, bokeh. good at f2 , very good at f2.8, absolutely great at f5.6-8
Cons:
weight, lens shade too big, price.

to me, just the best ultrafast 35mm besides the Leica-M 35mm f1.4 Aspherical (no Asph. second version).

paired with the 85mm f1.2 it is an astounding combo with a FF camera.

Oct 23, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add maxben21 to your Buddy List
EyeBrock

Registered: Dec 3, 2005
Review Date: Oct 13, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, even at 1.4. Great colour and contrast. For me its a perfect focal length for a 'walk round' lens on a FF camera. Good build quality, fast AF. Great bokeh for a wider lens. Gives a 50L like look to shots.
Cons:
No weather sealing.

I sold my 24L II to get this lens and itís been my most used lens since I bought it in April 2010. Up until then my favourite lens was the 50L. I find the 35ís focal length more useful to me.

I really like the bokeh compared to the 24L, although not quite as buttery/creamy as the 50L the 35L is sharper at 1.4 than the 50L.

I love the shallow DOF and the 3D look to the larger aperture shots. Itís like a wider, sharper 50L to me. I find it a great match up for travel with the 24-105. It really is as good as everybody says.

Oct 13, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EyeBrock to your Buddy List
dves

Registered: Jan 19, 2009
Review Date: Sep 30, 2011 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,700.00

Pros: lens has been fixed by canon perfect now
Cons:
poor quality control

I am a lot happier with the lens since Canon have serviced it. Luckily the Rugby World cup is running in NZ & specialist equipment & technicians are in the country who were able to recalibrate lens to perfection.

My Rating would be a 10 now

Sep 30, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dves to your Buddy List
stylestudio

Registered: May 17, 2006
Location: Romania
Review Date: Sep 28, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp from 1.4, razor sharp from 2.8, beautiful bokeh, image quality, Excellent for low light, great colors and contrast, well built
Cons:
no weather sealing, first copy was with front focus, price

Although the first copy had problems, front focus, this lens is excellent. Sharp from f/1.4 and very sharp at f/2.8. The contrast and the colours are great, AF is built quality is great but has no weather sealing what is strange for a L lens.
Over all great lens,

Sep 28, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add stylestudio to your Buddy List
Photograff

Registered: Feb 11, 2009
Location: Russia
Review Date: Sep 13, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Luminosity, plastic figure, beautiful bokeh, fast AF, get interesting pictures with a small grip in such a wide angle, reminiscent of movie picture
Cons:
1 - blurred from 1.4 to 2.0. floor of not my copy, and all, look at the tests the-digital-picture.com. The fact that instances differ from each other - is a myth -) Working diaphragm starts from 2.0 - 2.8. 3) frequent failures AF from 1.4 to 2.0. (10-15% of spreads) 4) severe HA in the open, because they actually soap hole 1.4-1.8

Hello from Russia, Lipetsk -)
Use on a FF Canon 5d mk2. Myths about the "best lens from Canon" is a bit exaggerated. Luminosity and drawing its main advantages, sharpen up to 2 to 4 with a minus for Elka. First, the lens did not like, take a photo in full size 1.4 feet abruptly - no head - (, disappointing feature of the lens, a small grip in such a wide angle, but the picture is very tasty because of its luminosity and took + 1.4. But the more shoot - the more I like it -), true say or you'll be crazy about him or does not work out at all.

See photo от Canon 5d mk2 http://www.bfoto.ru/news/canon-ef-35-f1-4l-usm.html

Sep 13, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Photograff to your Buddy List
Cinepixtor Media

Registered: Nov 2, 2006
Review Date: Sep 13, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, Weight, Accurate Autofocus
Cons:
Absolutely none!

This is my absolute go to lens for stills and video! I shoot majority of my shots wide open when shooting both stills and video. It's as heavy and bulky as my other L lenses but it has delivered some of my best images... especially portraits. 35mm is way on the short side but most of my recent work was done with this lens. It stays attached to my 5D Mark II - although I love my 85mm 1.2L - I'll take this lens over the 85 any day!

Sep 13, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Cinepixtor Media to your Buddy List
FindingNature

Registered: Sep 4, 2011
Review Date: Sep 4, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Unique image look, image quality
Cons:
Old build quality, a bit heavy

This lens gives a unique look, it is the best possible lens for environmental portraiture or aesthetic photojournalistic imagery.

The lens is a bit heavy and its construction in metal makes it look like it could use a lifting from Canon.

Even at f/1.4, the image quality is great, the zone in sharpness is sharp even at 100% crop, we don't need to close it down to get good result.

Having a fixed focal is something to be used to but, like every constraint in the world, it is encouraging creativity.

If you want to see real situation samples, check :
And join us on Facebook!

Emmanuel.

Sep 4, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FindingNature to your Buddy List
dves

Registered: Jan 19, 2009
Review Date: Aug 29, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: As wide as I am prepared to go on full frame when shooting interior portraits & groups outside. 2.8 is sharp 5.6 is really sharp
Cons:
1.4 is unusable, 1.6 is unusable, 1.8 is unusable, 2.0 is just usable

I had been wanting this lens for a while & finally bought it. I was initially pretty disappointed as I own an 85LII which is sharp from f2.0 in most situations & with careful control is sharp at 1.2. The 35L I have is blurry at 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 & starts being usable at f2.0 by 2.8 is is pro sharp. F5.6 is where I try to shoot it & it is very sharp there. Colour is saturated so much so I have to desaturate for skin tone -20 vibrance in lightroom when shooting mixed lighting event work. It is a lens I am learning to like & find I use it a lot. I would like a lens as good as my 85L but it is not to be. The competition in auto focus lenses out there are not better. I shot some landscape & have yet to really check those out. At 5.6 this lens is very good & the colour is pretty darn magic so thats where I will have to use it.

Aug 29, 2011
DerrickWong

Registered: Jul 31, 2011
Review Date: Jul 31, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

I personally use a 550D and I've been shooting for half a year. The kit lens was not the best (since I love to shoot in low-light situations) so I upgraded to a 28mm f/1.8 USM. I have been using that lens for about 3 months now as my main lens (95% of the time).

Went on vacation for a week and my friend lent me his 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM and I was debating what my first L glass should be.

After thinking about it for a full month, I decided to get the 35mm instead of the 24-70 because of these reasons:

- I have always loved prime lenses, makes me move about to compose my photos

- 24-70mm is heavy, although it is versatile (focal-length-wise), I bring my camera EVERYWHERE. Even though I workout and everything, it is very stressful for the wrist

- the 24-70mm is a very obvious lens - I personally like street photography, although my 550D is no Leica, the 35mm, is much more discreet than the gigantic 24-70mm with its lens hood

After using the 35mm for a day or two and shooting about 200 photos. I have to say... I LOVE IT. Not being cocky or anything but money is not a huge factor for me, however I NEVER believed that L lens would make such a huge impact since the prices are ridiculous. The 28mm f/1.8 USM I used was sharp, I had an amazing copy and from what I've seen on other reviews, people were not as lucky - but the 35mm is SO much better.

I never cared for sharpness because I don't spend my time looking at each pixel but what I get from it is a little better than the 24-70mm, don't take it the wrong way, that is a GREAT thing.

Prime lenses were always good for creating bokeh but with this lens... it gives more of a pop. I know it sounds weird but the subjects REALLY stand out from the background. My girlfriend personally loves the rougher bokeh given by the 28mm but I love the smooth creamy bokeh that the 35mm gets from it.

In conclusion, Price = terrible. I NEVER thought I would blow my money on this but it was WORTH IT. Build quality = not as tough as the 24-70mm but I take very good care of my baby so itís good enough for me. Satisfaction: couldnít be any happier. Focusing = I only use the middle AF point to compose my shots, it is always dead on.

Until I change to full frame, I will not be buy any lenses anytime soon, I honestly donít see a point on having so many lenses. I will sell my 28mm very soon and give back the 24-70mm to my friend, I wonít be needing them anymore. Like I said before, I don't like wasting my money but this lens is definetly worth it. Good luck!

Jul 31, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DerrickWong to your Buddy List
wanderinglens

Registered: Nov 9, 2010
Review Date: Jul 3, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: It'sight and small. Can be as versatille as a standard zoom, but in a different way. Also different is the fact that it sucks light like a black hole. There's always enought light with this, on a 5DII
Cons:
Nothing I can think of by now.

I had a very sharp copy of the 24-70L since the days I shot with an APSC-sensor camera. Although I loved that amazing lens, I ended up selling it a few days after I bought the 35L.

Before I got the 35L, I always thought that I prefered to shoot with longer lenses, and after I went fullframe, I was only using the 24-70L when the environment absolutely had to register in the picture.

And if I liked a shot taken at a those wider angles, it was because of the colors, or because of the cool scenery, or the composition. But that "magic" I got with the longer lenses, it was never there.

Until I bought the 35L. It has the amazing capacity to give the magical, 3D-like shallow DOF, without the compression of the longer lenses. It was like a new world to me. I loved that look! I also found that I could easily shorten the distance-to-subject in order to get similar framing up to 70mm-ish. Sure, the perspective and compression is not the same, but the shallow depth of field and the beautiful bokeh makes isolation about the same. I never thought that I coud do headshots at 35mm, but turns out they look awesome.

Regarding sharpness and colors, I dont see a big improvement from my 24-70L, but that's actually a very good thing! The most incredible thing is how sharp it remains at f/1.4 (very sharp)! Also, it has much less purple fringing than my 85f/1.8.

I don't care that the barrel is made of plastic. It is good and solid kind of plastic. It feels great. Focusing ring is damp and has lots of travel. It is small and light.

You'll love it.

Jul 3, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wanderinglens to your Buddy List
msavage

Registered: Jun 12, 2011
Review Date: Jun 12, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, nice contrast, very nice focal length and fast. Pretty sharp wide open
Cons:

Very nice lens that can be used quite universally for landscape, portrait, street photography, photo journalism. If I were to have only one and only one lens, I'd have this one stick permanently on my camera. Sure, it does not have the build of a Zeiss, but it has quick autofocus. This is my go-anuywhere lens.

Jun 12, 2011