Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM

218 491736 Sep 3, 2014
ef_35_14_1_

L-series professional f/1.4 wide-angle lens with an aspherical lens element to correct aberrations. The floating system enables high picture quality to be obtained over the entire focusing range. Autofocusing is quick and quiet with rear focusing and ring USM. Full-time manual focusing is also possible.

Diagonal Angle of View: 63°
Focus Adjustment: Rear focusing system with USM
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.3m / 1 ft.
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.1" x 3.4", 20.5 oz. / 79.0 x 86.0mm, 580g

Jiggytrav

Registered: Sep 1, 2004
Review Date: Sep 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,120.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast focusing Pleasing bokeh Great color, contrast, and sharpness Excellent build quality
Cons:
Some chromatic abberation wide open (F1.4 - F2) Expensive

This has to be one of Canon's best primes, and you certainly pay for it. But for most, it will be worth every penny because it is top-notch in every quality. 35mm is a decent "all-purpose" focal length and this lens will allow you to shoot in low light or reduce depth of field for some beautiful out-of-focal backgrounds. I use the lens mostly on my young kids. Highly recommended!

Sep 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jiggytrav to your Buddy List
Mark Powell

Registered: Dec 20, 2004
Review Date: Aug 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,120.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Nice build and feel. A joy to use.
Cons:

Before I posted a review of this lens, I wanted to use it for a couple of months. I have nothing negative to say about it.

I have taken some very nice family portraits on the beach, used it for snapshots around the house, and photographed 2 big parties with it. This lens is so far above and beyond my sigma 24-70 that I rarely use the sigma. The pictures with this lens need very little post processing and look almost 3D.

It's not always on my camera due to the telephotography I do of my daughter's sporting events...but it's always in my backpack.

Both of the parties were outside and late at night. I used this lens at 1.4 + 580EX flash + LS II and was very pleased with the results.

This lens has a special place in my heart.

If you get it, you won't be sorry.

Aug 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mark Powell to your Buddy List
SkankPile

Registered: May 24, 2005
Review Date: Aug 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I like it..I really like it. Sharp, L color.
Cons:
none..mine does have a plastic housing near the mount as it seems its not all metal, but it does not really matter.

I’ve only had the lens for a couple of days, but as soon as I viewed the images I was floored. I was used to my 24-70L & 70-200IS/L, but this lens completely blows them away. The images pop off the paper.. its quite amazing. I was considering adding the 16-36L to my collection, but after reading the reviews I tilted towards the 35L, and now I think it will rarely leave my camera. If I need longer than 35 I will jump to my 50prime and then my 70-200IS

F2.0 on my 35L is better than my 24-70L at 2.8 no question, but by f5 I now understand the “WOW” factor. The only other lens I have that comes close is a 50mm 1.4 (maybe the 70-200 IS stopped down), but I can’t open the 50 up like I can the 35L and expect the same sharpness. The 35L and 50/1.4 are now my favorite lenses.

Aug 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SkankPile to your Buddy List
maxima21

Registered: Jul 25, 2005
Review Date: Jul 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great Color, Contrast, Bokeh especially with Skin Tone and Potraits
Cons:
EXPENSIVE FOR A PRIME.

Have used it in low light conditions, especially at night as a walk around lens for landscape and candids shots. Great for Potraits and ready like the colors & contrast it produce.

Great Prime Lens. A collector items in years to come!

Jul 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add maxima21 to your Buddy List
iosion

Registered: Dec 2, 2004
Review Date: Jul 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,270.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Color, sharpness, bokeh, accuracy... this is the best lens Canon makes.
Cons:
Hunts in low contrast.

My... good... GOD. What else can I say. This lens is IT. Color, sharpness, bokeh - I dont think Canon makes and sells a lens currently that is better.

The sharpness and color are simply out of this world stunning. I never have to do ANY color adjustment or sharpening in photoshop when I use this lens. Even my 70-200 2.8L IS USM needs a little help now and again.

If its technical detailed work Im doing, I pull out this lens. Ive taken to doing wide angle panoramas with this lens and stitching them because its that much better than ANY wide angle lens for sale today.

Flowers? Its like this lens was made for them. The bokeh and color is just not to be believed. THE VERY BEST.

Dont delay. Get this one. Youll never let it go.

Jul 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add iosion to your Buddy List
khaos

Registered: Feb 16, 2005
Review Date: May 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazingly sharp. Well built. Great at close range as well as landscape.
Cons:

This lens was everything I hoped for from what I've seen from photos taken with it and what I've heard from other photographers.

It's one of my favorite lenses. It's fantastic indoors for low light and awesome outdoors for longer range landscape and floral closeups.

The clarity and bokeh stun me all the time with shots from this lens. It is one I'll never get tired of and sell to try something else. A keeper.

May 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add khaos to your Buddy List
3ABX03

Registered: Dec 26, 2004
Review Date: Apr 4, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

Sorry but link on the privies revue dos not work. Hope this will:

Apr 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 3ABX03 to your Buddy List
3ABX03

Registered: Dec 26, 2004
Review Date: Apr 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything about this lens is positive
Apr 2, 2005
Nimra

Registered: Jan 4, 2004
Review Date: Mar 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 35 mm at it's best
Cons:
none, cause You get what You pay for (..$)

This thing is magic if You know what You are doing. For artwork forget the comparisons 35 1.4 vs. 24-70L or 16-35L.

Good sharp @ it's bright side between f1.4 and f1.8, perfect color, fast and exact focusing.

Great on 1DMKII, next to the 85 1.2 and 135 2.0 a must have for outstandig shots.

Mar 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nimra to your Buddy List
joe mama

Registered: Oct 3, 2003
Review Date: Jan 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Color, contrast, sharpness, speed
Cons:
Price, size (not that it's too big, but too big for a 35mm, f /1.4 or not!)

This is it, man, this is it. At 35mm, that is. It used to be my favorite lens, but the 135 / 2L has usurped it (for now). But they're two totally different FLs, so they don't compare. I think I like the 135 / 2L better 'cause I can get a more shallow DOF with all the other prime perks -- speed, color, contrast, and sharpness, but it's more of an outdoor lens or indoor headshot lens. Otherwise, it's the 35 / 1.4L.

It's sharp even at f / 1.4. I don't mean it's sharp *for* f / 1.4, I mean it is sharp *at* f / 1.4. That's when you nail the focus, though. Hard to hit it at such a wide aperture.

There is PF (purple fringing) wide open, of course, and it's what, 8 million times bigger and more expensive than the f /2 version? But it's the bomb (don't say that to someone in an airport, though!).

Some might say that when you pay $1100 for a lens, you have to like it. Can't answer to that, but I could sell it today for nearly that, so it ain't the case with me. I did trade it (gasp!) for an 85 / 1.2L since I couldn't afford the 85 / 1.2L at the time, but was going to re-buy it at my first chance (as it turned out, we swapped back lenses, anyway).

What does it have over the 35 / 2? An extra *useable* stop and USM. Hell, have you had to listen to that whiny bitch motor on the 35 / 2?! It's worth it just not to hear that again! : )

Honestly, I don't know how the IQ (image quality) compares between the two from f / 2 and up, so maybe the 35 / 2 is the way to go for a lot of people.

But I'm a perfectionist (pay no nevermind to the pics I take!), and the 35 / 1.4L *is* perfection. Should you get it? Yes. Definitely. Is it worth it? Pfft. Would you be reading this if you thought it wasn't? : ) But, is it the best bang-for-the-buck? Hell no. Get a Canon G3 for that. This is the best lens at 35mm -- period.

Jan 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add joe mama to your Buddy List
mauriceramirez

Registered: Jul 16, 2004
Review Date: Jan 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, faster-than-most AF speed, as solidly built and as sharp as any Nikon lens.
Cons:
Price.

I wasn't expecting much, considering it's rather common focal length. But it has given me a totally new way of seeing, and was even a catalyst for me to start selling off my L zooms in favor of only L primes. It is one of the few Canon lenses that I would say are better in every aspect over it's Nikon equivalents.

Bokeh, color, speed, flare, build, size, weight, all work in sync to give me photos that I don't have to PS at all. It's VERY expensive for what it is (basically a isolator/available light lens), but it has paid for itself many, many times over for me in terms of how much post processing time it has saved me. I give 9 out of 10 selects that were shot with this lens to clients completely unadjusted. No other lens gives me as many as-shot keepers as this one.

It's that well-rounded, and I don't praise lenses much. In fact I'd say that 95% of Canon's lenses are typically very overrated IMHO.

This lens is best appreciated by available light, subject isolation type of styles.

If you like flash indoors, or prefer the unnaturally-wide film photojournalistic look, or *love* correcting images in PS, don't waste your money. It is an overpriced lens considering both what it actually does ISO-wise (and that Canon's highest iso's are usually quite useable) and that a good quality f2 version is very inexpensive.

-m

Jan 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mauriceramirez to your Buddy List
maljo

Registered: Mar 1, 2003
Review Date: Jan 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, well made, a joy to use
Cons:
None (you get what you pay for)

One of Canon's really great lenses.
Very sharp, contrasty. Bright image in view finder. Nice size and weight.
Stunning images. Has a depth of field scale.
This and the 135 f2 are my favorite lenses.

Jan 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add maljo to your Buddy List
Ken Tanaka

Registered: Aug 3, 2004
Review Date: Dec 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,080.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Relatively lightweight, yet solidly built (typical of the L's), very fast, very sharp, excellent contrast.
Cons:
None to speak of.

Basically I'd reiterate many of the previous reviewers' remarks. Contrary to a previous comment, however, I find this lens to be very sharp, even when wide-open. If you're looking for an excellent general-purpose prime lens that can handle most existing light situations with ease look no further. This lens may immediately become your favorite.

Dec 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ken Tanaka to your Buddy List
bka20d

Registered: Sep 17, 2004
Review Date: Dec 1, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: build quality, optics, angle of view on 1.6x camera
Cons:

this is one amazing lens. great available light performance....and a wonderful lens on a 20d. auto focus is fast and quiet and image quality is stellar.

Dec 1, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bka20d to your Buddy List
Tiziano

Registered: Oct 8, 2004
Review Date: Nov 10, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,080.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It's FAST. Sharpness, color balance e contrast. Bokeh.
Cons:
Vignetting at f1.4 It cannot zoom :)

I sold my 24-70 2.8 after I got this. It's an other world from 1.4 to 5.6.
Color balance it's impressive, more neutral, the zoom has a yellow cast in comparision.
Super fast focusing.
Perfect lens for indoor available light family pictures.

Nov 10, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tiziano to your Buddy List
traveler

Registered: Jan 8, 2002
Review Date: Nov 5, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightning fast autofocus Bright Viewfinder Superb build Top low light performance
Cons:
Not crisp wide open

You can tell you have a "L" on your DSLR body with this guy at work. Nice weight and balance. I find the image wide open, while not absolutely crisp is workable in post processing. Considering the nice high shutter speeds you end up with in low available light situations it's a real Godsend. It's actually a great lens for capturing walk around street photography and events with people milling around. I can see this as a great lens for a indoor party as well when a flash might be obnoxious. In the end it's worth it's rather high price tag. It more than competes with any mid tele zoom and once stopped down will exceed their overall performance.

Nov 5, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add traveler to your Buddy List

Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM