Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 AT-X 287 AF PRO SV

27 105056 Jul 27, 2012
7.7
atx287prosv

The Next generation of AT-X is the AT-X PRO SV series. The fist introduction is the AT-X 287 AF PRO SV, an exceptional 28-70 f/2.8 auto focus lens. With its emphasis on value, its cornerstone is itís heritage of Tokina HLD optical glass. Advancements in fabrication technology and the greater use of composite materials have created a lens that is lighter in weight yet more substantial value. The constant f/2.8 aperture makes focusing and shooting in low light situations much easier than other standard lens with smaller apertures. An internal focusing system couple to a Focus Clutch Mechanism yields quick and quiet auto focus as well as smoothly damped manual focus action.

Page:  1 · 2
studio56

Registered: Nov 13, 2005
Review Date: Dec 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $139.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: very well build lens, a pro lens.
Cons:
nothing..

well, i have the tokina atx pro 28-70mm f2.6-f2.8 AF version 4. for only 139$ on ebay, used but in excel condi. i test it alot, and so far it gives me nothing but satisfaction, 1st and for most its build is really pro, very sturdy and rugged..nice flat black finish for none glares i guess. zoom ring is smooth but tight..big front element of 77mm , comes with a matching pedal hood, metal mount..its looks awesome on my fuji s2 pro. with its f2.6-2.8 i can shoot indoor w/o prob. well, w/f2.8 its not at its best on sharpness, but i expect that..its just good enough..with higher f stops , its produces amazing images. colors are very true, good contrast, sharpness is par.. it also comes with a nice leather case too..it may be heavy for some, but not for me, i got used to older heavy lenses. heavy means solid build, i use it mostly for everyday shooting..or weddings.
i also have its bigger brother in arm. the atx pro 80-200mm f2.8 AF. no difference than its 28-70mm, they are family for real, both are best buy for its range. for that reasons, i have sold most and all my nikon lenses to replaced with atx pros. cuz most new nikon lenses are made in thailand and cheapo plastic lenses. i preferred all metal build. highly recommended.

Dec 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add studio56 to your Buddy List
jkarolat

Registered: Nov 18, 2005
Review Date: Nov 18, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 3

Pros: well build
Cons:
heavy, picture quality

After reading a few good reviews for this lens I decided to buy it to replace my Nikon Nikon 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G AF that came with my D70. After a nice day in the woods I came home to view the pictures on my screen and was disappointed. Not a single picture was focused. The switch from autofocus to manual focus on the lens didn't work at all and the autofocus was always a little bit off. So I tested the lens at a setting of 50mm f4.5 on a tripod and compared it to the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D and AF Nikon Nikon 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G AF at the same setting. The pictures from the Tokina lens were all not focused and the other lenses gave me clear and sharp pictures. Luckily I bought it from B&H, so returning the lens was just a phone call and a trip to the postoffice (and about $20 total for shipping). So obviously the quality is not always good and you have to be lucky to get a good lens. No more gambling for me, I'm done with Tokina, I will try the Sigma instead.

Nov 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jkarolat to your Buddy List
Brian Wadie

Registered: Jan 3, 2004
Review Date: Oct 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Robust and well made I find the handling suits me very well. I've had it about a year now and intially suffered from err99 failure on my 300D. A quick return to the supplier and it came back with a new flex-board + recalibration. Since then its been rock-solid reliable. The more I use it the better the results I get. Interior shots in our local priory revealed masses of detail and colour and I am using it more and more for landscape work where the resolution for things like tree-scapes is excellent. I'm so impressed with the results I'm just about to pick up a Tokina 17mm AX pro to complement it.
Cons:
Flare can be a problem but its something I happily live with given the price vs quality balance

Oct 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Brian Wadie to your Buddy List
dafrica

Registered: Mar 4, 2005
Review Date: Sep 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $240.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent build, very sharp from f/4, reasonably good wide open, great price!
Cons:
Misses focus in low light, color saturation could be better, min. focusing distance, seems to have compatibility issues with my 420EX flash

I've owned this lens for six months now. I didn't like this lens much at first, but it has really grown on me.

I recently decided to test this lens against my 17-40L and 70-200 f/4 L at the overlapping focal lengths of 28mm, 35mm & 70mm. I was very suprised at how well this lens stacked up against my L lenses. Very close in sharpness at 70mm @ f/4 to the 70-200 L and a tad bit sharper than my 17-40 L at 28mm and 35mm @f/4, but the L's produce better saturation/color. (maybe my 17-40 has some issues, I dunno)

Anyway, at $240, it's a great value. It's built like a tank. A little soft wide open, but still usable and very sharp at f/4 and up! I just wish it had a closer minimum focusing distance (it's about 2ft.)

Sep 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dafrica to your Buddy List
rockcanyon

Registered: Jun 28, 2005
Review Date: Aug 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $220.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Sharpness improves when stopped-down a bit. (this is true of most zooms) The f2.8 is faster than typical consumer quality hyperzooms. Built like a tank. Comes with lens hood - most Canons don't. A tremendous amount of lens for $220.
Cons:
Has some flare without the hood. It's pretty heavy. Uses large 77mm filters which can be fairly expensive.

I've had this lens for a month now - have taken 500 shots. No error99s, no problems at all. The 28-70 range is better suited to a full-frame digital or a film camera though. On a 1.6 factor digital the 28mm is not really wide enough to be a good walkaround lens. I love the quality 'feel' of this lens. The optics are decent. There are better lenses, but I don't think you can get more lens for the money.

Aug 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rockcanyon to your Buddy List
hoagie

Registered: Mar 18, 2004
Review Date: Aug 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $249.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, ruggedness, sharpness
Cons:
somewhat slow focus

Very good value in a lens.

This lens is very sharp from f/4 and up, and reasonably sharp even wide open. With this lens I shoot at whatever aperature I want for the desired effect without having to worry about whether the sharpness will be there, which makes it very versatile....a good walk-around lens.

I dropped mine off the hood of a pickup down onto the edge of the concrete curbing which left some pretty good marks and scratches on it. Picked it up and cleaned it off and it worked perfectly and has every since. Can't say enough about a product that is this well made because there aren't many of them out there. It looks and feels quality. All this at a great price!

Aug 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hoagie to your Buddy List
hieuu

Registered: Apr 16, 2005
Review Date: Jun 27, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: sharp, price, build (external)
Cons:
2 copies, both had aperture problems, 1 completely froze at f8

This lens produced some very nice shots when it worked.

Right out of the box it gave me an err 99 on a 20d, I powered down and reinstalled it, that seemed to do the trick for a little while, but err 99 kept coming back. Did everything i could, new battery, powered down. reinstalled lens cleaned contacts. reset firmware. upgraded firmware.

Finally called tokina they told me they were not aware of the problem but sounded like stuck diaphram, they recommended me shipping it to them for service. Yeah right, a brand new lens, service, no thanks.

Finally sent it back after 1 week of frustration, back for a new copy this one lasted a whole 4 hours and completely froze aperture it was stuck around f8 and i could see the blades were cock-eyed. I though maybe just this model. NO luck with th 28-80 either.

AF had troubles indoors low light, seeking.

Again I did get some very sharp shots, with it's slow AF
and the MF was very smooth.

Aside from that i was impressed by the external build.

Jun 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hieuu to your Buddy List
paparazzinick

Registered: Jan 8, 2005
Review Date: May 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: good build, nice wide open at f2.8, inexpensive
Cons:
slow focusing, not as sharp as a Canon L lens but for the price you can not beat it.

First I would like to say, I do not know what other people are saying that the front element rotates because mine does not rotate. I have the Canon version, so maybe there is difference.

But anyways. I got this lens becuse I needed soemthing at f2.8 and needed it at a cheap price. I figured I would get it and use it for a few events I was doing, then give it to my brother and buy myself a Canon L when I got the money. Well, this lens is just wesome. very sharp, very clear and colorful pictures.

The zoom ring is very stiff, but I figure after some heavy use it will losin up a bit.

This is not one of my favorite zoom lenses and would recommend this lens to anyone who is on a budget.

May 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add paparazzinick to your Buddy List
GungaDin

Registered: Feb 24, 2005
Review Date: Apr 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Build quality, fast and quiet AF, usable at f/2,8 (fully open)
Cons:
heavy and large, large filter dia (77 mm), front element rotating (focusing)

After a disappointing interlude with the Tokina AT-X 24-200/3,5-5,6 I was more than happy to have some of my faith in TOKINA restored after having tested the TOKINA AT-X 28-70/2,8 SV lens personally.
This Tok is a good performer that shows decent sharpness already wide open, and improves a lot when stopped down to 3,5-5,6, where center and edge shaprness become very good. Even though it is not on par with the wide-open sharpness of the Sigma 18-50/2,8 EX DC or that of it's direct opponent, the TAMRON 28-75/2,8 XR Di, it has it's advantages, since it doen't show the latter's overly harsh contrast and red-ish color cast, and thus renders more detail in highlights and shades, and also shows IMHO more neutral colours - more Sigma-like if I may say so. Stopped down beyond 5,6, it's amazingly sharp!
The build quality of this lens is excellent, it's AF is fast and quiet - closer to USM than any other 3rd-party lens I know - perhaps a result of the Tok's "AF/MF clutch" mechanism, which completely disengages the outer manual focus ring when pushed into the forward "AF" position. The handling of this lens with the 20D + BG-E2 combo is fine for me, even though it is a bit heavy and bulky.
To me, this Tokina makes an ideal "walkaround lens" for daylight use, and it's price/performance ratio makes it a real bargain, too!

Apr 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GungaDin to your Buddy List
Areta

Registered: Feb 19, 2005
Location: Poland
Review Date: Feb 19, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Looks robust,
Cons:
picture quality at 2.8 to 4.5

I have to confess I intended to buy 28-70 ATX PRO II but got confuss by Tokina peculiar branding. I teste it against Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II and found it unacceptable below 4.5. At 5.6 sharpness was on par at the center of the picuter, but still visibly disappointing at the edges. What is more color reproduction was quite different i.e. I needed different white balance setting for tokina and Canon 10d automatic white balance produced dissapointing colors.

Feb 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Areta to your Buddy List
kerbyron

Registered: Jan 17, 2003
Review Date: Feb 17, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: $327.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Very well made for the price. Decent sharpness wide open. Minimal CA.
Cons:
A bit on the weighty side. Mounted on my 10D with a battery pack I get a bit of a workout shooting a wedding. I have sent it to Tokina service 2 times because I get constant 'error 99,' no communication with camera messages. Still does this despite the TWO service calls. It's not the camera as all my other lenses work fine. So I getting rid of this as it's just not reliable in the pinch.

I shoot around 20 weddings per year and bought this lens specifically for that application. Despite having a good value ratio, and being pretty sharp wide open, it's just not usable for anything where there are no second chances. Tokina service is fast, but they still haven't fixed the problem. So out it goes.

Feb 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kerbyron to your Buddy List

Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 AT-X 287 AF PRO SV