Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 AT-X 287 AF PRO SV

27 103802 Jul 27, 2012
7.7
atx287prosv

The Next generation of AT-X is the AT-X PRO SV series. The fist introduction is the AT-X 287 AF PRO SV, an exceptional 28-70 f/2.8 auto focus lens. With its emphasis on value, its cornerstone is itís heritage of Tokina HLD optical glass. Advancements in fabrication technology and the greater use of composite materials have created a lens that is lighter in weight yet more substantial value. The constant f/2.8 aperture makes focusing and shooting in low light situations much easier than other standard lens with smaller apertures. An internal focusing system couple to a Focus Clutch Mechanism yields quick and quiet auto focus as well as smoothly damped manual focus action.

Page:  1 · 2  next
bnorman

Registered: Jul 5, 2012
Review Date: Jul 27, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp stopped down 1-2 stops, fast focus(not L fast but not slow), f2.8, weight
Cons:
A little soft at 2.8, but it is better than not getting the shot at all.

A very sharp lens stopped down 1 in the entire 24-70 range. Still produces good quality images at f2.8 but at 3.3-3.5 they look sharper.

Not an L lens but if you are looking for an affordable alternative look at this lens. I also like the tamron 28-75 f2.8 but the build quality of this lens feels more professional.

Jul 27, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bnorman to your Buddy List
---XR---

Registered: Oct 30, 2008
Review Date: Mar 18, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $215.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, aperture
Cons:

This lens is good but not great, in terms of price i got more than i paid for, but in no way does it stand up to my Nikkor version, AF is slower, IQ not up to par with it, but it was 1/5 the price so it'll stay as a backup for myself, for someone who wants a mid range zoom for ethier FF or crop but doesn't want to pay $1000-1700 for the top of the line, but still wants the aperture, this'll do the trick.

Mar 18, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ---XR--- to your Buddy List
labradford

Registered: May 16, 2009
Location: Turkey
Review Date: Oct 9, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Contrast, sharpness, build quality, price performance rating
Cons:
a little bir heavy and noisy during autofocus

I use this lens with my d90. It confuses sometimes in AF but output jpegs are superb, contrasty and sharp. For this price you get and f2.8 lens and you should accept it with gratitude.

Oct 9, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add labradford to your Buddy List
danbachmann

Registered: Nov 14, 2004
Review Date: Mar 16, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent color and sharpness
Cons:
Heavier than a prime - but then again, it isn't a prime! Also, no silent focus (ie: USM, SDM, etc)

I was really after a Tokina wide angle which disappointed me - see my other review) and this lens was included in the bundle.

I was very impressed with this one though. Of all the zooms I have owned (Sigma EX series, Tamron SP series, Tokina and Pentax FA series). This lens performed almost like a prime. In fact, it was the only third party zoom lens considered worth keeping based on image quality.

Unforunately I no longer use this lens because fungus started growing in it after a flood at home. I'd considering repurchasing this one.

Mar 16, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add danbachmann to your Buddy List
Rod Pforr

Registered: May 12, 2007
Review Date: May 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: One of the sharpest zooms i own
Cons:
nil

This lens is an excellent unit.
I have owned the new 77 mm and older 72 mm versions in Sony/minolta and Nikon mount and cannot find anything not to my liking.
I test a retest. At 2.8 it is sharp and at f4 even better.
On the Sony Alpha 100 with body anti shake it is outs tanding.
I have recommend it to many of my students and the only part negative comment comes from Canon mount users is that is a litte slower to focus that the Canon. It is not a light-weight unit ...Just buy it!
I have also owned the 28-80 mm 2.8 Tokina. It is a little longer and can focus closer but in my opinion not as quite as shrarp.

May 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rod Pforr to your Buddy List
GritEater

Registered: Jan 17, 2006
Review Date: Jan 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: First of this lens is a Tank..build quality is excellent...IMO this lens is Highly underated(as all Tokinas are)..from F3 and it is is a Tack Sharp.on my Nikon it is a good as some high dollar Nikkors
Cons:
Wish you could focus at a little closer distance

Jan 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GritEater to your Buddy List
mckenzy

Registered: Mar 19, 2006
Review Date: Dec 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Constant Wide Aperture
Cons:
Alot

First off. I have its predecessor. If the mods find it inappropriate, please remove this review. Mine is actually a different manufacturer, one it would seem, that made much better glass. Size and build-wise, it is about the same... which brings me to say...

... that my wrist hurts. I thought it wouldn't be much of an issue, but the truth is, it is heavy. I ended up adapting to a different grip method. So beware.

I am still confused with the clutch mechanism and have decided to leave it on AF and skip trying to manually focus this paper weight. Think about this: if you have to manually focus a heavy lens (without tripod naturally), that would mean you have to hold up the camera body AND the lens with your right hand. I suupose you could work around it but i think you get my point.

Most importantly: Image quality. Normal. So far i have tried wide open through till f16... Indoors under extreme low light as well as outdoors. It is acceptable. Nothing more.

I find that in this case, the f2.8 helps in AF for low light. The technique i have adjusted-to for indoor shots is this: f2.8, ISO1600 (350d), focus on the brightest spot to get a reading, compensate and fire.

Dec 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mckenzy to your Buddy List
marty01_uk

Registered: Aug 15, 2006
Review Date: Aug 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: A fast cheap contrasty sharp lens.Built like a tank
Cons:
Built like a tank and nearly as heavy

I bought this lens second hand reading good reviews.It was to back up my canon 28 70 f2.8 l lens and has done so brilliantly..
The picture quality is fantastic allthough not quite as sharp as the canon wide open.
If you are of a slight build the weight might be a bit much but if you every find the need to beat someone to death with a blunt instrument then this lens would do the job....and probably work afterwards..
Tokina arn't realy highly thought of but with quality like this i don't know why.....i'll be trying more of their range.

Aug 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add marty01_uk to your Buddy List
Chefkeith

Registered: Jan 20, 2005
Review Date: Aug 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $160.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Excellent Build Quality, Sharp from 3.5 on down, Lightning quick in outdoor light.
Cons:
Awkward manual clutch system.

For the $160.00 I paid for this lens I am amazed at the rugged metal construction and general all around performance I have been able to get from it. It is soft at 2.8 (almost "Soft Focus" like) which if I get creative may not be a such a bad thing. I will seriously consider other Tokina products in the future.
Keith

Aug 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Chefkeith to your Buddy List
jweaver

Registered: Oct 28, 2003
Review Date: Jul 31, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $195.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: super fast AF on a 10D, excellent image quality.
Cons:
Heavy, slow to work on Drebel

This lens shows that Tokina should be a major player in third party lens choice. I prefer the Tokina to other lens because I feel I get better quality for half the price of a Sigma or a Tamron. It is a might heavy, but feels rugged and worth it.

Jul 31, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jweaver to your Buddy List
DLNB

Registered: Apr 13, 2006
Review Date: Jul 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $185.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, build quality, constant f2.8, price.
Cons:
AF is not the best.

I just got this lens. On my first outing I was a little disapointed. My photos seemed a little noisy and soft. On my second outing I got the sharpest photos I have ever taken. I think it was just a matter of getting used to the new lens. I am now VERY happy with this lens. I won't be replacing it unless it breaks.

Jul 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add DLNB to your Buddy List
daliangr

Registered: Feb 16, 2006
Location: Greece
Review Date: Feb 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: very-very sharp from f4 (35-70)mm,excellent macro,hot color,built quality,very good price
Cons:
2 copies, one had aperture af problems,heavy,slow focus in low light,28mm average optically guality

Feb 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add daliangr to your Buddy List
aekn

Registered: May 30, 2005
Review Date: Feb 11, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 3

Pros: construction value
Cons:
autofocus performance (or lack thereof)

This is my second copy. I found the construction quality to be great, and included hood and pouch were a bonus. The AF quality is UNACCEPTABLE. At best, it hunts. At worst, it will not focus (on my D1H or D200). This is my second and final copy, to be returned to Tokina. Bummer!

Feb 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add aekn to your Buddy List
crosstrainer

Registered: Jan 7, 2006
Review Date: Feb 11, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:
Feb 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add crosstrainer to your Buddy List
crosstrainer

Registered: Jan 7, 2006
Review Date: Feb 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp, fast, lovely colors and bokeh
Cons:
heavy, horrendous minimum focusing distance, clunky dual-clutch AF/MF ring, did i mention that it's heavy?

I've had these lenses for over two months and I have mixed feelings about it.

My main beef is that IT'S JUST TOO HEAVY TO BE A FUN LENS!

But that aside, this gem of a lens shines. It's my first "fast" lens and I actually bought it with the hope that I'll be able to take badminton action shots, but alas it disappointed me. Not the lenses' fault actually. The indoor court I usually play in was just too dark, and needed something like a f/1.8 @ ISO1600.

It's not good for macro shots as the minimum focusing distance is pretty long, about 2.5 feet and I regret not being able to use this lens for my favorite food shots.

These niggles aside, this lens is very good.

The build quality is bar-none! You can probably bop someone on the head with this and kill him, and the lens won't feel a thing. Optics are also very good at f/4 and higher. Taking portrait shots at f/11 gives amazing sharpness, and I think that sharpness is this lens' finest point.

I got it for $200, used, but in excellent condition, and i can honestly say that it's worth every dollar paid.

Some sample shots below:

oh yeah, have I mentioned that this lens is heavy? ^_^

Feb 9, 2006
mrladewig

Registered: Dec 20, 2005
Review Date: Dec 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $219.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great value and sharp images
Cons:
variable build quality

I am using this lens with a Rebel XT. The first lens took some great pictures. Very very sharp. Then like some others here, the aperature diaphram stuck and I received Err99 errors on the camera body. I was not able to correct this problem by resetting the camera, removeing the lens etc.

I returned the first lens to the vendor and received a new copy. This seems to be working well so far.

I like the feel of this lens, though it is very heavy. It seems able to capture some very sharp images. This is a nice range on a APS-C camera, and is complimented by something on the wider angle range such as a 10-22 or 17-40. The manual focus clutch system is nice, but finding the gate where you can move back and forth is somewhat ackward. On the first lens, both the focus and zoom rings were tight. On the second, the focus ring feels much lighter, but the zoom ring is still very tight.

This is a nice value in a zoom lens with this range and speed. The included lens hood and lens bag are nice to have. The lens weighs about 1.5 pounds, and it feels heavy.

Dec 20, 2005