Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G AF-S DX

78 236280 Jan 10, 2014
DX-17-55_L

Professional DX Zoom Nikkor lens combines high ratio 3.2 focal length with SWM and f/2.8 aperture. With optics designed for Nikon DX Format digital SLR cameras, the D1 series, D100 or D2H, the new lens delivers a picture angle equivalent to a 25-82mm 135 format zoom lens. A high quality and flexible 'standard' zoom for D-SLR photography.

key features

1. Professional class Zoom Nikkor lens for Digital
2. 135 picture angle equivalent of a 25.5-82.5mm zoom
3. Three ED glass elements minimise chromatic aberration with higher resolution and superior contrast
4. Nikon exclusive SWM (Silent Wave Motor) for whisper quiet and fast Autofocus.

AF-S DX 17-55mm f/2.8G Main Specifications:

Weight [g] 755

hotline

Registered: Apr 25, 2008
Review Date: Jun 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, rock solid, AF very fast
Cons:
not really sharp at f 2.8 ; expensive

Good built, very sharp if you are at f 6,8 ; built as a tank; the AF is so fast ! the VR is NOT necessary ~ Highly recommended with D300 !

Jun 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hotline to your Buddy List
kipkeston

Registered: Feb 26, 2008
Review Date: May 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, contrast, color, focusing, build, probably forgetting something here...
Cons:
distortion, size, flare

A certain upgrade from the tamron 17-50. An improvement in every way except size. Sits on the D300.

May 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kipkeston to your Buddy List
Etienne Otero

Registered: Jan 10, 2008
Review Date: Apr 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,189.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: All previously mentioned... and a smile in my face after viewing the results.
Cons:
NONE WHAT SO EVER...

I don't know what to say that has not been said before... If you are doing professional work with a D300 (or crop sensor body) this lens is a must and worth every cent. It is on my camera 90% + of the time (the rest goes to the 70-200 VR). I give it a 10.

Apr 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Etienne Otero to your Buddy List
light and dark

Registered: Nov 18, 2007
Review Date: Mar 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, build quality, range, f/2.8
Cons:

Perfect glass. The D300 was the reason to switch from Canon - I couldn't be happier with this lense. It stays on my camera all the time. For me, size and weight together with a D300 makes it a wonderful walk-around lense. I don't miss a longer range (12 MP leave some room for cropping) nor VR (f/2.8 together with the high ISO performance of the D300 works perfectly in available light, 1/15 sec is no problem to hand-hold - at least for me - given the perfect balance of the lense with the body).
If you want the best standard zoom with very good low-light performance and build quality that will outlive your camera (and probably yourself) and money is not the limiting factor: Go for it by any means.
If you don't have the need for wheather sealing or f/2.8 and if you are on a tighter budget, give the new 16-85 a look.

Highly recommended.

Mar 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add light and dark to your Buddy List
Brian Burrough

Registered: Feb 27, 2007
Review Date: Feb 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp even wide open, quick and accurate focus on my D300.
Cons:
Rather large, but you cant have your cake and eat it.

I have had the 17-55 before, but I sold it, I then got a Tamron 17-50 I had a good copy, very sharp pretty good in the corners too. But then I compared it with what I had previously shot, with my sold 17-55, biggest difference was the contrast of the 17-55, This made up my mind to get another used one. Well I did very well and got good one on ebay.
I will keep the Tamron for when I want to travel light. the only down side of the 17-55 is it's zize, other than that it's a great lens.

Feb 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Brian Burrough to your Buddy List
Dan Bellyk

Registered: Dec 24, 2007
Review Date: Jan 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Built like a tank and TAC sharp, a great lens. If it's not sharp it's likely a bad copy or you camera needs calibration.
Cons:
Cost is steep but you get what you pay for.

I just came from all Canon Pro gear and so far I am very impressed. User error is a possibility with f/2.8 having such a small DOF. I am very happy with the purchase of this lens.

Dan Bellyk

Jan 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dan Bellyk to your Buddy List
Matt Stevens

Registered: Oct 15, 2007
Review Date: Dec 25, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack sharp!
Cons:
None that I've encountered... other than people notice it when I'm doing candids.

I got this lens to go with my D300 and highly recommend this lens as the stay-on-camera lens for the D300.

Dec 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Matt Stevens to your Buddy List
D LEGAKIS

Registered: Nov 11, 2007
Review Date: Nov 12, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 4

Pros: Built quality, that's it.
Cons:
Never focuses on wide no matter what. Always underexposes on wide also. Dissapointing product.

A wide angle zoom, f2.8 lens that gives out of focus and under-exposed results on wide cannot be called an f2.8 wide lens, can it? Again and again and again and again, it will never focus on wide, that's it. The underexposure issue is so annoying too. No need for a glimpse of bright sky to be in the shot, it just under exposes by 1 f-stop. Very dissapointing product. I also use the Nikon 17-70 which costs a fraction of the price and it works properly. I can live with a bit of Vignetting but not with focusing-exposure issues. Pre-focusing is a no-go area too. You zoom in, focus, switch to manual, zoom out and the image is out!

Nov 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add D LEGAKIS to your Buddy List
Carl Feather

Registered: Oct 26, 2007
Review Date: Oct 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp even wide open, great practical range, superior build, fast focusing.
Cons:
Flares when shooting into sun, to the point it's worthless in that situation.

I've had this lens for more than two years and use it extensively for my wedding and event work, as well as my everyday work for a newspaper. It's on my D200 about 90 percent of the time. It replaced my 28-70, which I'm keeping for the FX body I hope to acquire.

This lens is a workhorse. It is pro quality all the way. The only negative is shooting into the sun, which I like to do on wedding shots.

I love this lens so much that I sold it with an extra D200 body thinking I could be happy with the 28-70. After two days of that I called the buyer and asked if I could have my old lens back. He sold it to me because he already had what he needed. It was like getting an old friend back and I won't be parting with it until my last DX camera breathes its last. I consider it a lifetime purchase and worth every penny, even though it cost me $1,020 to get it back!

One note -- when I first got this lens, the performance was so-so. One corner was quite soft. I sent it Nikon and they made it sing.

This lens is destined to be a legend.

Oct 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Carl Feather to your Buddy List
psquared

Registered: Apr 29, 2003
Review Date: Sep 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build; IQ; Fast AF; Weather-sealed; Balance with D2 pro bodies
Cons:
Size/Weight; DX-only

Cameras used: D2x, D2Hs

This lens is my goto close quarters event lens. The AF speed, the IQ wide open is very good, stopped to f/4 - 5.6 is excellent, focal length coverage make it perfect for event photography in close quarters with a 1.5x crop DSLR. For indoors, just throw in the SU-800, 2x SB-800 or SB-600s and you can pretty much cover any event.

Weather-sealing is a huge plus as well; For outdoor events, I really just carry this lens + the 70-200 to cover 90% of the shots.

The versatility of the lens makes it a mainstay in my bag for event photography, but it has not made my shortlist of favorite lenses. I suppose I'm more favorable to primes around 85 to 135 (35mm equivalent) and less to wides & zooms.

Sep 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add psquared to your Buddy List
billgriffin

Registered: Nov 1, 2004
Review Date: Jul 8, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: I dropped this lens and had to borrow a 17-35 AFS from NPS for about one month during the repair period. Man did I miss the extra focal length. This lens is so sharp I don't even need to add additional sharpening in editing software. This is my primary zoom lens on the camera.
Cons:
It's a bit large and heavy.

Jul 8, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add billgriffin to your Buddy List
dave chilvers

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Jun 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything really
Cons:

The lens arrived today, I shot 100 images just around my house and i`m pleased to say that the images have that real life feel.
Is there any CA or edge softness! don`t know and to be quite honest I`m not to worried because the IQ looks beautiful and at this early stage i think it might just have the edge on the 12-24 (which isn`t surprising when you consider the ultra wide design of the 12-24)Lens size is no problem as it balances just nice with the D200. The close focus is great for flower photography and the 2.8 is a nice bonus for out of focus(bokeh)which is very nice and gentle. AF is super fast and silent. Now it`s on the camera I would say it will do just nicely for a lot of my work. Build quality is very good and I`m glad I didn`t go for the 28-70 and would have lost that wide end. You get the feeling that if you held the lens by the barrel whilst having the D200 attached you could actually bang nails in with them:-)If i had paid for a top pro prime that turns out images like this lens then I would be happy for sure.I like the touch with the lens hood release latch and the hood seems just about right in my view.
It`s not a cheap lens when you compare with others from Nikon that can be had for 1/3rd the price or from independant makers but my initial findings are that you get what you pay for with this lens, not only in the superb build quality but the enjoyment you get from using something nice(and at my age fun is as important as results)I don`t suppose I`ll wear it out in whats left of my shooting days but I`ll do my best:-)

Jun 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dave chilvers to your Buddy List
AsianHues

Registered: Sep 21, 2004
Review Date: Jun 2, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: As sharp as most primes in the range, amazing color and contrast, constant f/2.8 aperture, 9-element rounded aperture blade suite produces excellent Bokeh, fast and quiet AF, little or no vignetting, no CA (3 ED elements and aspherical elements), solid metal construction and professional finish and feel.
Cons:
No concerns that show up on prints smaller than 14 x 20. Very slight barrel distortion at 17mm and slight pincushion distortion around 55mm, flares with strong back lighting, if Nikon ever goes to a larger sensor size this lens will be virtually useless.

I bought this lens this past month 'used' for roughly half the price new. As I know the seller personally, my risk is limited. I have been lusting after this lens since it first came out. This lens is expensive but, you more than get what you pay for!

I traded back my 18-200VR plastic 'toy' lens with absolutely no regrets whatsoever.

This is one beautiful machine! I am using it on my D200 (c/w battery grip pack) and it sits naturally balanced. It is extremely sharp wide open and throughout the whole aperture range. There is near imperceptible barrel distortion at the wide end and slight pincushion distortion towards 55mm. None of this will show up on prints equal to or smaller than 14 x 20 inches. And, that covers 98% of all my print needs. For more accurate architectural photography, I'll use a PC lens.

Color and contrast are more vivid than with any other lens I have owned. They're awesome! How do they do it??

The 9-element rounded aperture blade assembly produces excellent natural Bokeh. Again, the best I've ever been able to produce with any lens.

For available or limited light, this lens is ideal. When you look at the 'front end' of this lens mounted, you just 'see' the front element grabbing all the available illumination.

This lens has a solid, professional metal build and finish. It does have a bit of weight but that heft only serves as a reminder that you're using a professional instrument here. It instills a sense of confidence!

The lens front does move in and out (about an inch) during zooming, but so what? Is this a big issue? I don't think so. With the excellent locking hood in place, you don't even notice the movement.

This is a 'G' lens with a zoom ring where one would expect an aperture ring. This will take a bit of getting used to. On the plus side, it does have linear (logarithmic) zooming which the 18-200VR didn't. This is really helpful and will be a delight to get used to.

Overall, I have great expectations for this lens and I do not expect to be disappointed. I haven't been this excited since I was 9 years old and got my first Lionel '027' electric train set!

Jun 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AsianHues to your Buddy List
dj dunzie

Registered: Aug 14, 2006
Review Date: May 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness; Image quality equally impressive from 17mm to 55mm; Vivid, punchy results; fantastic build quality; Incredibly useful focal range on DX.
Cons:
Yeah, it's pricey... but the results are rewarding.

I can't figure out the weakness in this lens. I mean, all lenses have something. Either softer wide open, CA, light falloff, softer at one end than the other... something. This lens seems to be just about perfect. It's sharp... very sharp... almost to the point of a prime lens sharpness, and right from 17mm to 55mm. It's also very sharp wide open, which is the surprising thing to me. Images are punchy and bright and vivid and sharp. Bokkeh is amazing. Really, I can't fault the lens for the results at all.

I do have a couple minor "notes" though... the lens zoom is both very stiff and the way it zooms does take some getting used to. Bigger fingers may have to get used to the positioning of the zoom ring as well, since it's tucked tight to the body. Also, let's face it, it ain't cheap.

But if you want the lens in this range that will leave you NO excuses for image results, this is the one. There is no point in keeping your f2.8 shorter primes any more in my opinion... this one is that good. It's my number one short-range go-to lens now hands down. And after spending time with it I can honestly say I'm impressed every time I use it.

May 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dj dunzie to your Buddy List
ricky balboa

Registered: May 26, 2007
Review Date: May 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: SHARPNESS! Colour, AF speed & accuracy.
Cons:
Price, but you do get what you pay for and if it doesn't suit you then you can still probably sell it for 85% of what you paid for it.

Cracking lens, sharp at f2.8, VERY sharp at f4 onwards, focusing on D200 is rapid and very accurate, built very well. Traded up from a Sigma, the Nikon is 4x the price but the colour and contrast rendition alone make it worth the extra cash, also, in my opinion seems to give slightly more accurate exposures and focus better on the non-cross sensors of a D200 a little better. Expensive but excellent.

May 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ricky balboa to your Buddy List
vhsema

Registered: Mar 20, 2006
Review Date: Apr 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,199.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, excellent build quality, pleasing bokeh and colors
Cons:
Heavy, slight distortion on wide end

I really wanted to purchase the Tamrom 17-50 f/2.8 instead, but when I went to a local store and tried it and the Nikon out at maximum aperture, it was no contest. Using my wife as a test subject, her eyes just popped with the Nikon.

That's not to say that the Tamron was bad, because it wasn't. Instead, it was just that the Nikon was that good. If I didn't need the lens for professional work, then I would have bought the Tamrom.

Evaluate your needs, and make your purchase based on that.

Apr 1, 2007