Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II

DIGIC II
E-TTL II flash system
Wide ISO speed range
Weather resistant magnesium body
Dual performance memory card slots
LCD with 230k pixels
<a target=_blank href=http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=10598>More info...</a>

Stono

Registered: Dec 4, 2005
Review Date: Dec 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $8,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quality all over, hardly any noise even at ISO 800, huge 16.7 MB making highly detailed photos possible. Clearly better than my Canon D20 (and my former and present Nikons, Sonys, etc.).
Cons:
Menu system not as smart as Canon D20, but you'll learn it. Weight! Combined with Canon's 70-200 L or other "solid" lenses it turns into a real huge and heavy monster.

The price of this huge monster is high, but then you get a camera of an unbelievable quality. It is solid as a rock and the photos are brilliant (hardly any noise at ISO 400-800 at all). I have sold thousands of photos on stock, but with this camera the photos seldom need any work at all in Photoshop. The photos are simply brilliant.

I have "been digital" from the very beginning, years ago, and have had and have a whole series of digital cameras (Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc.), but this one is far better then anything I have ever tried.

Dust has not been a real problem for me as I am very careful when changing lenses (shut it down before changing lens). I have had the Mark II for about 8 months and when dust turns up it is often easily blow away, it not I wipe it (carefully) with a sensor brush. Used it in deserts, north of the polar circle, and in rain forests, it has always been very reliable.

Even taking the price into consideration I am highly pleased with this camera. The camera is heavy, really heavy, but I guess you can't make such a high quality and robust camera without the kilos.

Be prepared, though, this camera attracts a lot of (unwanted) attention, both from the public and other photographers.

Dec 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Stono to your Buddy List
sandisk

Registered: Jul 16, 2005
Review Date: Sep 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: incredible image quality -> no need for much post-processing, bright VF, solid
Cons:
eats up memory, expensive

Use it to experience the power of it

Sep 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sandisk to your Buddy List
cjac

Registered: Dec 12, 2004
Review Date: Sep 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quality of pix and 'pro' feel/possibilities - second to none I've tested so far. Build quality. Viewfinder. Weatherproof. High ISO handling. Versatility
Cons:
Useless software (but I guess all 1Ds2 shooters own CS2 anyway); ergonomics could easily be improved (menus); price; slight shutter delay with remote control (problem with all DSLR's); weight.

A (heavy) dream - great workhorse, build like a tank, delivering superior quality pics, reliable, ... I haven't got the issue of vertical line distortion - I guess that could come from the lens, as this sensor reaches the limit of some lenses, even L series. Just awesome !

Sep 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cjac to your Buddy List
Keith Flood

Registered: Nov 25, 2003
Review Date: Aug 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $7,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality is breathtaking, build quality is outstanding, battery life is great.
Cons:
Had to have my shutter replaced in 6 months, price but it is worth it.

I've had my 1DsII since 12/04 and has lived up to my expectations for this incredible camera. I did have the shutter assembly act up which Canon took care of without question. I did much research to see if this was a common problem and it appears not. It is hard to describe the differnce when you put on the 17-40L on this body and look through the viewfinder and then try it on a 1DII body. But there is a huge differnce in angle of view and brightness in the viewfinder. This is a wonderful camera and will surely be one remembered after it is long been replaced.

Aug 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Keith Flood to your Buddy List
emandavi

Registered: Feb 15, 2005
Review Date: Aug 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $8,900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I love the camera. It feels and weighs like a pro camera should... and the photos are exceptional. I shoot weddings, and often raise the ISO to 1600, and even higher, with results that people love. I bought it on the first week of January this year, and have already gotten over 20,000 shots from it.
Cons:
The software that comes with it - especially if you have to process raw files. AAAAAARGGGGGGhhhhhhhh! Canon people, are you listening?????

I've used non-canon lenses with it, and even when the reviews have said the lenses weren't "sharp enough", I am fine with that. I photograph people, and I don't want it to be tack-sharp anyway. In fact, I tend to "soften" all the photos afterwards, still.

My biggest complaint is the camera grip must be ordered separately. I just used the one that came with my Kodak Digital camera. You need it if you're going to be carrying this behemoth all day (for weddings and stuff).

.... and the software that comes with it just isn't up to speed with todays software.

Aug 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add emandavi to your Buddy List
Richard Smith

Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Review Date: Jul 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $9,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Handling, Film like Picture Quality.
Cons:

I have had about 6 months use of this camera.
First one was returned for poor focussing, second one had the same problem but I got it recalibrated instead (Bad Quality Control Canon).

But after the initial teething problems it is everything it was supposed to be.

As a long time 1 body user the handling is wonderfully familiar to me.

I can see me sticking with this for a number of years. Canon will have to come up with something pretty special to get me to upgrade.

Now I can shoot tetherd with C1 I have everything I need.

Jul 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Richard Smith to your Buddy List
Simondo9

Registered: May 2, 2005
Review Date: May 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic solid build. Easy to use if you are new to digital and with a huge amount of fine image control as you learn what this camera's computer can do. Hasselblads are not up for sale yet but I have used them only three times in four months. Justified the huge outlay on the need to not upgrade as the image quality has arrived.
Cons:
I dont like the need to hold the review button in when scanning through pictures, preferred my 10D where you just need to turn the dial. Serious line distortion. A standard 50mm lens is incapable of flat copy work and it is a struggles even with the 24-70 2.8l. Quite a problem as a large amount of my work involves copying flat artwork and but hoping to fix it with the new Photoshop CS2 which I have read will have adjustments for len distortion but beware if you need straight lines at the edge of frame!

Canon Ds1 mark 2 Four months on

May 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Simondo9 to your Buddy List
SANTI

Registered: Mar 31, 2005
Review Date: Mar 31, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Being the first time using a the new Eos IDS mark II and using it in different weather conditions I must say this is a really good camera. But read the review. part!. Camera handling is very good. The quality of images is superb.
Cons:
Sealing of the rear panel is not very good. After 5 days of work I got some dust already inside the panel. The price is also very high but compensates with the quality of images.

I donīt know if any of you try to do any job where vertical lines are important? Recently I was shooting some vertical lines in the facade of a buliding and I find out that: at the corners of the frame, lines were not vertical at all. They curved towards the centre of the image even with a 70-200 2.8 L -IS lens!. With a wide angle lens is very noticeable. You see this effect through the the camera and at the final print.
Does any of you have this same problem? I tested 2 bodies and have the same problem. At the store where I bought the camera told me that this a problem they have been experiencing with other cameras and different sensors, and is a problem of the lenses, not the camera (Eos 1 DS Mark II)..Perhaps.. but what will happen to anyone doing architecture photography.. work with photoshop to get rid of the problem!
How can Canon with this 7,000 Euros camera permit this terrible effect?? I donīt believe it.
Is it there any software that will get around this problem?
Thanks

Mar 31, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SANTI to your Buddy List
Damstra

Registered: Nov 23, 2004
Review Date: Mar 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image Quality, build, handling,
Cons:
It would be nice to shoot smaller RAW file's.

I love every aspect of this camera. The image's it produces are magnificent. Raw files are wonderful to handle with the Adobe plug-in, it gives you great control. I do have some problems cleaning the enormous sensor, but this could be inexperience on my part. This is absolutely the best camera I ever owned.

Mar 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Damstra to your Buddy List
DavidWEGS

Registered: Apr 15, 2004
Review Date: Mar 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $7,995.95 | Rating: 9

Pros: Iso is fine up to and including 800. The write speed/buffer size. The review times are quick. FF sensor (duh)
Cons:
No bluetooth. The file size is huge (processing currently on a G5 2gigHtz with 4 gigs of RAM) and tends to frustrate if you are a little impatient. Best to batch and leave for a while.

Mar 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DavidWEGS to your Buddy List
John57

Registered: Jun 13, 2003
Review Date: Mar 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,769.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality, build, handling, buffer & write speed.
Cons:
Cost, doesn't seem as 'snappy' as a 1D Mk II. Our first 1Ds Mk II was defective with a marked sensor (not dust). To be fair CPS were very good and it was replaced in 2 weeks - which was how long it took for Canon UK to get stock!

It does exactly what I expected it to do - the image quality is stunning. It is just like the 1D Mk II which I love but with a bigger sensor.... perhaps not quite as snappy in use as the 1D Mk II but it is aimed at a slightly different group of photographers.

Everything is spot on - if you are prepared to spend the money you won't be disappointed.

Mar 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add John57 to your Buddy List
CeeCee

Registered: Dec 6, 2004
Review Date: Feb 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality is superiour....second to none (DSLR)
Cons:
None - zip - Nada. I donīt even weep over the price I paid - worth every Euro.

This is the best investment iīve made buying equipment - ever !

Used to be Nikon F3HP - but that was a while ago :-)

This camera delivers beyond your wildest dreams. Had the Canon 1D mark 2, but sold it after 2 months - It was surely a nice camera, but it did not do the trick for me, coming from a 6mp Canon. So i sold it for this new top-of-the-line camera.

I know that this will be the first camera iīve owned, that does not need replacement within a couple of years due to lack of performance or resolution.

This will be enough even in 10 years time to deliver professionel prints to customers.

Beware of which lenses you attach to this monster - itīll eat bad lenses for sure. Primes are at their best with the new 1Ds2

Applause - Canon - Very well done

CeeCee

Feb 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CeeCee to your Buddy List
DDPYLS

Registered: May 2, 2004
Review Date: Feb 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic glass like images, very usable high ISO's, very fast write time to sandisk extreme III cards, hard to fill buffer even shooting raw, much improved ETTLII. Very reasonable price considering quality, reliability and what it replaced in film and processing.
Cons:
None! I say none but I know the next generation will be even better. What could they do to improve near perfection?

In over fourty years as a commercial shooter I never thought the day would come that film would be replaced and the quality of digital would exceed 120 chrome. What's next? It's hard to imagine anything better but I'm certain canon will improve on near perfection.

Switching from nikon a couple of years ago was the second best business cecision that I have made. The best decision was going digital six years ago.

Hats off to Canon!

Feb 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DDPYLS to your Buddy List
gregkoz

Registered: Sep 21, 2003
Review Date: Feb 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $7,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Have a 1D / 1DS. Shot with both for a few years. The MK2 ups the ante. I suppose that I'll never have to upgrade again ??????? who am I kidding ...there will be a better camera next year but this is the first time that I may choose to stay with what I have. I can easily achieve medium format film quality so I'll keep my Mk2 and my 8x10 Deardorff. I think that covers the bases.
Cons:
Weight

Feb 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gregkoz to your Buddy List
white

Registered: Sep 18, 2003
Review Date: Jan 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality exceeds my Hasselblad with film and blows away 35mm film. Impressive 24x36" prints on an Epson 7600 with very smooth tones. The ergonomics feel good.
Cons:
Some banding in the even toned shadow areas at times.

This is my first digital camera so my experience to compare to other digital units is limited. I scan 35mm and 6x6 pos/neg film on a Coolscan 9000 and make my comparisons to the output I can get on an Epson 7600 wide format printer. I did not believe statements that 35mm based digital could rival medium format until I did my own comparisons. The only thing I do not like is the banding I can see in some images, and can see in some of Canon's own sample images for download. It can show in some shadow areas of even Raw files, (wether converted in Capture One, Photoshop Raw, or Canon's own utility), even if I do not push the shadows much. As this is my first digital experience I do not know if other models/brands have this as well. The color is more realistic but not Velvia like right out of the can.

Jan 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add white to your Buddy List
Kostia

Registered: Nov 4, 2003
Review Date: Jan 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, the best I have ever seen on a digital camera... No noise at all at 400 iso (I didn't test enough higher ISO to tell more) Faster than the 1 DS
Cons:
Expensive (especially in France !!!). Everybody knows that the camera it heavy, but it takes place easily in your hand...

I didn't calibrate the colors into the camera. I will do it soon, but they look excellent.
I have set sharpen filter 1 in the main menu, and after processing in PS CS I use unsharp mask 300% / 0.3 / 0 as recommanded for all the EOS D series. It's awesome.

Jan 21, 2005