Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

218 483350 May 9, 2014
EF10-22

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 10 - 22mm; 1:3.5-4.5
Diagonal Angle of View: 107 30' - 63 30'
Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system, with focusing cam
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.24m / 0.79 ft.
Zoom System: Ring USM
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3" x 3.5", 13.6 oz. / 83.5 x 89.8mm, 385g

genefixer

Registered: Jan 22, 2007
Review Date: Feb 27, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: See my previous review
Cons:

just started working with this lens but I think this picture speaks well for it: http://www.pbase.com/generepair/ef_1022mm_f3545

Feb 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add genefixer to your Buddy List

Review Date: Feb 25, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $675.00

Pros: excellent lens, sharp and top quality make
Cons:
would like to see an L version

This lens is a thing of sheer beauty. If I was stuck on a deserted island and had to spend an entire year with only one lens, the 10-22 would be it.

There is nothing really in this class that competes so kudos for Canon for making such a great landscape lens for all us HDR landscape nuts.

See some of my images taken with it

The only thing I can think of improving is possibly releasing an L version of this lens and I would happily upgrade for the peace of mind of tight seals and more robust body.

Otherwise if you want a wide angle, forget the 17-55mm, 17-85mm , 17-40mm etc etc, this lens blows all those ones away.

Happy shooting when you do get one Smile

Feb 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Krystof Meder to your Buddy List

Review Date: Feb 25, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $675.00

Pros: Great build, sharp, versatile and not a great deal of distortion
Cons:
Focus and zoom rings could be sealed, L lens anyone ?

See some of my images taken with it

Happy shooting when you do get one Smile

Review Date: Feb 25, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $672.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: - great perspective and not a great deal of distortion at long end on 1.6 - sharp images - crisp and fast autofocus - ergonomic design, sits very well on my camera
Cons:
- the seals could be a bit better (L version anyone ?)

I'm in love with my 10-22. This is the by far my most favourite lens, often staying on the camera longer then envisaged. I'm extremely happy with the sharpens and the quality of the images this has produced and would never hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking at a versatile ultra wide angle application lens. Sure it's not as versatile as the 17-55mm but this is a purpose built wide angle lens, not a wide to tele and the extra 7mm really does make a difference in the style of the images you can take with it. Also while reading some comments in here I notice a few complaints about build quality and I would have to say that this has to be one of the best non L lenses in terms of build that I came across. Sure if an L version came out, with tighter seals on focus and zoom rings I would be willing to pay the difference. However as this is not an L lens I still think that the construction and the build are second to none and represents great value for money.

Following are a few images that I shoot with this lens.

Rubber Soul

Registered: Dec 11, 2006
Review Date: Feb 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $675.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Brings out the creativity in the photographer; Lens is corner-to-corner sharp at most, but not all, focal lengths; Small and lightweight; low levels of distortion;
Cons:
Very average build quality; Asymmetric softness at 17mm in my copy; More expensive than an "L" lens that serves the same function on pro cameras;

I will start with the Bad:

The build quality is very average. Better than the cheapest Canon lenses, but certainly not up to par with "L" lenses. It's not even as good as most Tamron and Sigma lenses over $400. The plastic feels cheap and creaky too. I worry about dust slipping inside this thing whenever I twist the zoom ring.

The glass of the front element portrudes dangerously outward when the lens is fully extended. In fact, a visual check wouldn't ease my mind that the curved front element doesn't portrude beyond the plastic outer rim. I've never even dared setting this lens down face-down without a cap. The front element is practically begging to be scratched. This is one lens that would DEFINITELY need a protective filter.

The zoom construction is also iffy. The lens is fully extended at 10mm, retracts fully at 17mm, and extends out again towards 22mm. Probably not a coincidence, but my lens has asymmetric softness around 17mm when the lens is fully retracted. The left side becomes quite a bit softer than the right side, and the softness never goes away regardless of the aperture I use. The left side with 17mm @ f8 is much softer than at any other focal length wide open.

Needless to say, that asymmetrical shoftness @ 17mm was my BIGGEST disappointment with the lens. No doubt this is a case of copy variation, and it may not affect other copies of this lens. It shoud be pointed out that this asymmetry quickly disappears when I zoom wider or longer than 17mm.

The price is also a huge drawback. After buying the lens, the very ugly lens hood, and the lens pouch, this consumer EF-S lens ends up costing a lot more than a EF 17-40L (which includes all those things, plus metal body and weather & dust sealing). That "L" lens serves the EXACT SAME purpose on a professional dSLR, as the 10-22mm lens on consumer dSLRs. How can the consumer lens be more expensive than a professional lens, when both serve the same function? Canon should be ashamed with their pricing system.

The learning curve on an ultra wide angle lens is also fairly steep. It's easy for your photos to look very distorted and amateurish if you don't use proper technique.

The Good:

People who are worried that a 10-22mm lens isn't that much wider than a 17-XXmm zoom should reconsider. A scene shot at 10mm shows 70% more detail than a 17mm lens. It's strange that so many people are worried about the numerical proximity of 10mm to 17mm. With film SLRs, nobody ever said that the 16-35mm lens is too similar to a 28-135mm lens. And yet, those two lenses are numerically identical to the 10-22mm and 17-85mm lenses on a 1.6x crop EOS dSLR.

The EF-S 10-22mm is one of the few wide angle solutions to a EOS dSLR with a cropped sensor. Its best feature is, without a doubt, its very useful focal length. It brings out the creativity in you. I truly enjoy the ability to play visual tricks in a photo by creating the illusion of larger distances between objects. An ultra wide-angle lens can make an otherwise boring scene into something -far- more interesting.

Everybody uses the lens for landscapes and architecture photography. But it's also very useful for creative half-body portraitures that show your subject within the context of the locale. It's the opposite of the standard portraiture technique of isolating the subject with background blur.

Surprisingly, I found the lens to have good corner-to-corner sharpness wide open at most focal lengths. I did not expect this out of an ultra-wide angle lens, so it's definitely a bonus. This is true even at the widest focal length (10mm) @ f3.5. Peak sharpness occurs between f5.6 and f8.

Barrel distortion is fairly low, which is very impressive for an ultra-wide angle lens. Chromatic abberation is present, especially at the widest angles... but manageable.

All in all, I recommend this lens. A perfect lens would be rated a '10'. I take off 2 points for the ridiculous price, the very average build quality, and the asymmetric softenss at 17mm. Overall, it's 8 out of 10.

Feb 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rubber Soul to your Buddy List
genefixer

Registered: Jan 22, 2007
Review Date: Feb 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $660.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Lightweight, excellent for Rebel, 30D etc with 1.6X crop factor. Sharp and vibrant colors. An excellent choice for those wide shots
Cons:
a bit whimpy feeling compared to the L series zooms that I purchased recently.

I have only shot a couple pictures of any consequence with this lens but it is definitely a keeper all the way.

Feb 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add genefixer to your Buddy List
mredden

Registered: Aug 8, 2005
Review Date: Feb 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Specifically designed for Canon 1.6 crop cameras Great IQ Allows me to take W--I--D--E shots
Cons:
Had to buy the lens hood

This lens is specifically designed for Canon 1.6 crop cameras. This is very evident on my Rebel XT.
Lets you explore the wide side of photography. Particularly useful for big city shots and big country landscapes.
I've owned it since may 2006 and have no regrets.

Feb 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mredden to your Buddy List
Per Zangenberg

Registered: Jan 17, 2007
Review Date: Jan 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, colors, contrast, sharp, USM, 10mm
Cons:
EF-S, expensive compared to the competition, soft corners full open (but that goes for all SWA), better build could be expected for the price

I love shooting landscapes at 10mm. The effect is awesome and this lens has great contrast and colors. At first I thought I had a bad copy because I took some shots at 10mm f3.5 and found the corners very soft. I later learned that this is something that you get with all 10mm lenses.

Jan 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Per Zangenberg to your Buddy List
mordonio

Registered: Nov 25, 2005
Review Date: Jan 25, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $670.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp ... lighweight ... makes photography fun again ... yahoo!!!
Cons:
Hello!!! where's the hood???

Comparable to my 17-40/f4 (i luv this lens if only i have the money for a FF camera this lens would be enough for me) ... but since i've gone digital i knew i would miss the wide angle aspect of photography but not today people thanks to your rave reviews i'm finally having fun again ... must have for crop cameras ... u just can't lose on this baby.

Jan 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mordonio to your Buddy List
Blythe Dresser

Registered: Dec 16, 2006
Review Date: Jan 25, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Body build is solid, good weight, glass elements are of the highest quality, the bokeh and final results are mind-blowing, very sharp!
Cons:

Some people will complain about the price of this lens, but you get what you pay for and it is worth EVERY cent! This is an L-grade piece of glass without the official title. It shoots beautifully and the colors are vibrant. This is a great lens to play around with for unexpected results and effects.

The body build is fantastic and it is very solid. It feels a bit heavy, but nothing unreasonable.

Jan 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Blythe Dresser to your Buddy List
Ralph Wagner

Registered: Feb 10, 2002
Review Date: Dec 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Nice colors, fast AF, minimal distortions for the focal range and plenty sharp.
Cons:
A little overpriced, but the lens does deliver.

A good feat for Canon to present a lens in this focal range where the distortions are well controlled. Nice colors w/o overdoing it. I like the weight and AF also.

Dec 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ralph Wagner to your Buddy List
Nimnar

Registered: Nov 5, 2005
Review Date: Dec 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $620.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: nice and sharp at f/8, fast auto-focus, fun to use!, super wide
Cons:
a bit soft wide open, but not a big deal.

I'm happy with this purchase. I reach for this lens for all kinds of situations where I want a 16-35mm equivalent zoom. It's great outdoors doing nature photos.

Dec 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nimnar to your Buddy List
mlade10

Registered: Oct 7, 2005
Location: Serbia & Montenegro
Review Date: Nov 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Canon greatly managed to sort out and highly minimise all possible wide-angle 'nasties' in this great optic.
Cons:
Slightly over-priced, only EF-S.

As mentioned, great lens ... bringing in wide angle area to 'cropped sensors'.

Competitors: Tokina 12-24 = much softer full range, and Sigma 10-20 = barrel distortion, soft 15mm, quality issue right third of image... ), in my opinion class bellow.

Highly recommended.

Nov 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mlade10 to your Buddy List
JRaNL

Registered: Nov 15, 2006
Review Date: Nov 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: useful series of angles, good build, best image quality, logical price
Cons:
lens hood ugly, for some its EF-S label

What a lovely lens is this! Better built than average, very useful series of angles for everyday photography, supported by clear, colourful sharp results and a realistic price. I've missed the ultra wide angle since my CZ Distagon 18mm becomes an "ordinary" 29mm on a 1.6 crop DSLR. That the lens is a EF-S is not much of an importance to me, it works just fine. And when someday I'll decide to get a FF DSLR, the 17-40L will serve the same purpose as this EF-S 10-22 on a 1.6 crop DSLR. But as usual, images say more than words, so I have posted some photos taken with this ultra wide here:

As there's no image quality issues for me, a remark is addressed to its butt-ugly EW-83E lens hood which shares the same purpose for the 17-40L and the 16-35L. This hood is very wide, absolutely out-of-proportion in relation to the lens' nice balanced build, a stand-in-the-way in many bags and on top of it relatively expensive as well. So I decided not to use any hood at all until I bump into the right alternative, nicely formed one, not too big but still functional hood someday (EW-83II?). I use a screw-in UV filter instead to protect the vulnarable lens' front element/coating. Luckily this EF-S 10-22 isn't too sensitive to flare, although I've seen a lighter aperture blade-ish spot in the centre of an image one time. It could also be caused by the use of the protection filter.

All in all, it's an excellent all purpose lens. Highly recommended, provided one can handle its very wide angle which can be confusing to photography newbies.

Nov 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JRaNL to your Buddy List
Ghost

Registered: Feb 22, 2005
Posts: 2042
Review Date: Nov 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $674.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Ultra wide for a 1.6 Cropped Cam. Well built. FTM, Ring-USM, non-rotating front element, L-quality glass used
Cons:
No hood?! Price, EF-S only.

I bought this lens because my work required an ultra wide angle. Was contemplating the lower priced Sigma 10-20. However it had serious barrel distortion which is important for what I shoot. Also this Canon is resistant to flare! Colour reproduction is top notch. Low CA vs. competition.
The ultra wide angle this lens offers is fantastic! I'm still bowled over at how wide 10mm is! It opens up a new way of taking dynamic pictures with impact. I guess by ponying up for this EFS lens, I have drawn the line that I will be sticking with a cropped cam for a while. Which is fine. No reason to go FF with this suckah!

Nov 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ghost to your Buddy List
Mark Green

Registered: Oct 23, 2006
Location: Bahamas
Review Date: Nov 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super wide angle and sharpness
Cons:
None considering what you will use the lens for.

I was given this lens as a gift for my 40th birthday. I'm still relatively new to photography but love what I do produce (as do my friends etc.). I was helping a friend out doing some property shots and was amazed at how wide this thing is. I was constantly having to tell him to get out of the shot. Point is, if you want to take a photo in a confined space, it's magic! If you want a house to look impressive and imposing, this is your lens. Outdoors with a polarising filter on, the shots are picture postcard. I've also used it for photographing a few events where you are obligated to be very close to the action (due to not wanting to be part of the onlooking crowd) and the lens again, was ideal - just have to be wary that at the lower length, you get distorted images of people. As soon as you zoom in, it disappears. Very enjoyable lens and again, for those landscape and building shots (interior and exterior), it is brilliant.

Nov 9, 2006