Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

217 477907 Mar 4, 2014
EF10-22

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 10 - 22mm; 1:3.5-4.5
Diagonal Angle of View: 107 30' - 63 30'
Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system, with focusing cam
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.24m / 0.79 ft.
Zoom System: Ring USM
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3" x 3.5", 13.6 oz. / 83.5 x 89.8mm, 385g

AurelSK

Registered: Aug 17, 2008
Location: Slovakia
Review Date: Feb 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Best wide zoom lens for the Canon crop bodies, surprisingly little barrel distortion, well maintained cromatic abberation and vigneting, great colors and good sharpnes, amazing angle of view, lightweight, not extending when zooming
Cons:
nothing

When looking for a wide zoom for your crop EOS-body, do not look anywhere else (Sigma 10-20, Tokina 11-16 or 10-17...). Get this jewel.

This is a L-optics packed into an amateur chasis. Even though build quality is OK, at least for me.
Picture quality is excelent for an extreme wide zoom, focusing is fast, lens is compact size and realy lightweight. To me this one is a little miracle. For a lens this wide I would expect stronger distortion, CA, falloff and uneven sharpnes. But this is not the case. What a difference from EF-S 17-85!

Feb 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AurelSK to your Buddy List
gregoryfo

Registered: Aug 5, 2005
Review Date: Jan 31, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good wide lens for the canon croppers, fast, takes good pics
Cons:
plastic questionable build quality for the price

I do not shoot wide often, but when I do this is the lens. Produces good quality photos. If it did not I would have sold it long ago since it does not get used often.

Jan 31, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gregoryfo to your Buddy List
oajlu

Registered: Nov 19, 2008
Review Date: Jan 28, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: USM, low CA, and low flare and ghosting effects.
Cons:
not fixed aperture, no IS (yes i do need IS for indoor shots), distortion

Jan 28, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add oajlu to your Buddy List
anij

Registered: Oct 9, 2005
Review Date: Jan 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Good wide angle performance, contrast
Cons:
Plastic construction

I used this for a while with my 350D and I must say that it is a very good lens. One has to be careful to not abuse the wide angle capabilities of this lens.
This is one of the best EF-S wide angles available for the Canon crop cameras.

Jan 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add anij to your Buddy List
akleo78

Registered: Nov 21, 2008
Review Date: Jan 7, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp,Quality on par with L series
Cons:

I wanted to sell this lens about a week ago since I do not use wide angle lens very often, but I changed my mind after I used this lens in a recent trip to Las Vegas. I took some night shots on a tripod and I changed my mind about selling lens after seeing the results. I am not a pro photographer, but I really like what this lens can produc.

You can see the pictures on my filckr site:

Jan 7, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add akleo78 to your Buddy List
disegno-s

Registered: Jun 15, 2008
Review Date: Jan 6, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Awesome UWA, little distortion
Cons:
no IS, but then again on such a range it isn't really needed either, f/2.8 fixed would be nice.

I have used this lens for several car events, especially the crowded ones. This lens is ideal to get up close and personal to take your shot, the risk of anybody walking into the frame is a lot less because you are standing closer to the car.

There is visible distortion up to about 12mm to 14mm, but remember this is an ultra wide angle lens, what do you expect ?

I've used it with a B+W Circular Polarizing filter and really loved the results, color and sharpness are spot on, as is AF by the way.

Only downside could be IS, but I use a tripod for long exposure interior shots anyway, it could be an f/2.8 lens all the way, but that would make it even more expensive than it already is.

Johan
www.CarPhotoTutorials.com
Automotive photography made easy

Jan 6, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add disegno-s to your Buddy List
btbill

Registered: Oct 28, 2008
Review Date: Oct 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: I use Canon 450D with these lens and i am very pleased with the image quality especially in low light conditions You can check my photo album with photos from greek islands at : http://community.webshots.com/user/btbill Most of them are taken with my Sony DSC-H2 but the last ones are with Olympus E-520 (14-42 lens) and Canon 450D (10-22 lens).

Oct 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add btbill to your Buddy List
Jeroen Kransen

Registered: Oct 2, 2007
Review Date: Sep 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Great range
Cons:
Flare, price

10mm or 12mm is a big difference, and I'm glad this one goes to 10mm. It's amazing to see what you get in your frame, sometimes it seems to frame even things behind you! ;-) Optically I guess it's ok for a zoom, although I'm spoiled by my 50mm f/1.4. I'm disappointed by the amount of flare. Look at the top right of <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkransen/2578211847/">this picture</a> what the twigs and the gnome look like against an overcast (but sort of bright) sky. But overall I'm glad to have it in my bag, and it brings great variation to a photo shoot to add some really wide-angle shots.

Sep 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jeroen Kransen to your Buddy List
BillBrowning

Registered: Oct 25, 2003
Review Date: Sep 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $710.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, excellent colors, quick focus, feels well built.
Cons:

I've only shot a few test images so far and they have been great. I have been waiting for a wide angle lens from Canon since I bought my first 60D. I have been making do with a Sigma 15 mm FF fish eye. I do not mind the 1/2 to 1 stop speed loss because I know a F2.8 would have been $1200+. As for the hood there is no free lunch and the lens would have been more expensive with the hood. It does not come with a uv filter either but I have one on every lens except the Sigma 15mm because it will not fit the curved front element.
if you are looking for a fine wide angle zoom for your 1.6 camera this will do the job. Just buy the hood when you buy the lens. Hoods on zoom lenses are of limited use as they only cover the wide end of the zoom. I do like the protection they give the front of the lens.

Sep 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add BillBrowning to your Buddy List
mscottlogan

Registered: Feb 7, 2008
Review Date: Aug 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $640.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I have had this lens for a couple of months, I bought it for my Alaskan vacation, after reading that this was close to L quality I could not wait to get it and it has been fantastic in both low-light and in daylight, some fisheye can be seen at 10 but not anymore than you would expect.
Cons:
It will not work on a FF camera

Aug 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mscottlogan to your Buddy List
klosz007

Registered: Aug 5, 2008
Location: Poland
Review Date: Aug 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: High image quality (drops a bit at 10mm). Good build quality. (pseudo) internal zooming.
Cons:
Too pricey !

This lens gave me super wide capabilty missing in 17-85 and 17-55.

Image quality is high but at wide end (10mm) IQ drops a bit, especially sharpness and visible CA at image corners (maybe a fult of my copy ? - still CA is easily correctable in post processing). Low distortions for this class of lens (ultra wide).
High build quality. Fast and silent ring USM with full time manual focusing.

Lens does not change its lenght when zooming (internal zoom/focus) but it is some kind of a trick as front lens is in fact moving to and fro but lens movement is "covered" by a tube to which filter element can be mounted (so it is rather pseudo internal zoom)

No IS but who wants IS in ultra-wide zoom ?

Cons ? Definetly price. If it is so high why at least no front hood in the set ?

Highly recommended !

Aug 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add klosz007 to your Buddy List
af120835

Registered: Apr 21, 2008
Review Date: Jul 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good AF in low light, light weight, very sharp even wide open, low distortion (if desired!), good build quality, internally focused, barrel doesn't extend when zooming, fast AF
Cons:
Price! But then again it is a nice piece of kit....

One of my favorite lenses.

For a fish eye lens there is exceptionally low distortion if used correctly, and then on the other hand if distortion is what you want, it's there.

Build quality is good, there isn't any slop (yet.....).

It's sharp, even if wide open, although at 10mm the edges do go a bit soft.

Very useful for landscape photography, museums (and such environments), and if there is a creative side in you that likes the unusual aspects of photography, this is a lens for you.

Shame about the price though. I do think it is overpriced, but at the same time I can see this lens getting a lot of use and giving me a lot of payback.

In general I'd give it a thumbs up and recommend it to anyone.

Jul 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add af120835 to your Buddy List
wrwhite76

Registered: May 29, 2008
Review Date: Jul 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

Jul 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wrwhite76 to your Buddy List
sillypants

Registered: May 31, 2008
Location: Austria
Review Date: Jun 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: --UWA is back for 1.6 bodies (which will be around for at least another 5-6 years most likely, so you will be able to play with this lens for another 8 years) --Decent build quality, with the exception of the focus ring --Sharp, like the 16-35L
Cons:
--Loose focus ring (sloppy, Canon). --Max aperture is 3.5, and is not constant throughout zoom range. --For the price, I would have expected one or more of the following: a) a constant 2.8 aperture (or at least a possible 2.8 on the wide end), b.1) no loose parts on the entire lens (a la the focus ring), b.2) better build quality than third party competitors (e.g., Tokina 11-16 [b]2.8[/b]) c) a lens hood included. d) longer warranty

Negs:
Canon needed to cripple this lens a little bit so as to not make it so attractive to possible full framers who might find a 40D+10-22 more palatable than shelling out for a 5D and 16-35L. As a result, the 700EUR price tag doesn't include a hood, or a build quality matching the less expensive 17-40L, or even a build quality matching the 350EUR 60mm EF-S (read: no play in any components).

It does, however, have a rather limiting 3.5 maximum aperture - making it nearly useless for ISO 200, or even 400, indoors. Bring a tripod, because this lens' sweet spot is around F6.3.

Thanks, Canon.

Positives:
That said, it is a rather sharp lens, and if you are into landscape/architectural photography, then most of the problems I mentioned above are moot. Because of the pseudo-internal focus mechanism, I suspect this lens will be pretty free of dust over the years (mine is still fairly new, so I'm speculating here).

This is not as versatile a lens as one might initially think (due in no small way to the meager max aperture), but as I said, if you are into landscapes and architecture, then this will be all you need until the death of 1.6 in another 0.75-decades or so.

Afterward:
Now that the Tokina 11-16 2.8 has been getting great reviews, I would imagine that Canon will find it hard to justify the high price tag this lens carries, and will have to make concessions to lure the 1.6-crop UWA fans back to the 10-22.

Cheers.

Jun 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sillypants to your Buddy List
rentedmule

Registered: Jun 13, 2008
Review Date: Jun 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fun, surprising IQ
Cons:
Not quite L lens build quality

My knock around bag contains my 40D, a 24-105 f/4 IS, a 100 /2.8 macro, and this one. The 24-105 for street stuff, the macro for flowers and little critters, and the 10-22 for interesting landscapes and for a different perspective. I find I am using this lens more and more as even a hack like me can turn everyday items into interesting images. I get a larger percentage of "this one is good" from my friends out of this lens than the rest. I may have got a good copy because the IQ is very, very, good. A tad soft at the edges at 10mm but I am very happy with mine.

For those of us looking to eventually upgrade to a full frame, I plan on keeping my 40D as a second body so the lens will always have a place in my gear. This is a fun lens to use.

Jun 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rentedmule to your Buddy List
Joe Hunt

Registered: May 21, 2004
Review Date: Jun 6, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $599.99 | Rating: 1

Pros: None
Cons:
Plenty

Must have gotten a bad copy of this lens as I found that my copy was soft in the center sharp on the sides and had CA in the corners that was pretty bad. For the price that I paid you would expect a lens that would respond to fstop adjustments to get some sharpness going. I ran a series of tests on a tripod and just could not get anything going.

Compared to my 17-40 L this this lens was a dog.

Jun 6, 2008