Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

218 485166 May 9, 2014
EF10-22

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 10 - 22mm; 1:3.5-4.5
Diagonal Angle of View: 107 30' - 63 30'
Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system, with focusing cam
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.24m / 0.79 ft.
Zoom System: Ring USM
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.3" x 3.5", 13.6 oz. / 83.5 x 89.8mm, 385g

nirajphoto

Registered: Jul 15, 2010
Location: India
Review Date: Jul 15, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Ultra wide range, fast focusing, build quality, weight
Cons:
pricy, not weather sealed

I own one since this february. I havent used it very much though but it sure is a great lens for landscapes. The sharpness even at corners is better than I expected. Centers are tack sharp. Focusses fast(USM) but hunts a bit in low light(expected for a f3.5 aperture). Its quite light so handy to carry around. Its a lil pricy but I guess thats expected for a UWA like this one. I havent used any filters on it. I am selling off mine just as I am getting a 17-55 f2.8. Else this is a superb lens.

Some pics:
www.blog.nirajkedar.com

Jul 15, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nirajphoto to your Buddy List
ic2foto

Registered: Jun 19, 2010
Review Date: Jun 19, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $620.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: I owned one of these for a couple of years and found it to be a competent lens of professional quality. I had originally purchased a Sigma 12-24 prior to the availability of the Canon 10-22 and while my copy of the 12-24 was a sharper in the center, it was horrible at the edges (even though I was using it on a crop sensor Canon and the lens is designed for a full frame camera). Returning the 12-24 to Sigma only resulted in additional frustration and the lens was quickly sold. The Sigma lens problems resulted in my beginning to do "brick wall" testing for the first time in 30+ years of serious work and have been a revelation. I now test every lens that I'm considering for purchase. Back to the Canon 10-22: On an absolute scale it is probably a 6 or 7 (compared to my Zeiss lenses). On a relative scale (compared to viable alternatives that I have experience with) I would give it a 10. In summary it's likely the best WA zoom for your crop sensor Canon and I recommend it to my students without hesitation. Cheers
Cons:

Jun 19, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ic2foto to your Buddy List
mmajsw

Registered: Aug 9, 2009
Review Date: Jun 13, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $720.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Some distortion when photographing items at a close distance but not noticeable for far off once. Allows me to take wide angle pictures in one shot where before I had to take panoramic ones and merger them together. Useful when waves/beach photos are involved.
Cons:
Costly for a non L lens but worth it to me. Will vignette when multiple filters are used at the 10-12mm end.

Got mine about 1 month ago for use on a 30D and 50D. It was sale at B&H during a Canon rebate program. Mainly chose it for the wide angle to use in lightning and landscape photography. Images are relatively sharp across the FOV - not as good as the 24mm L but very close. Variations are more noticeable in closeup shots and high contrast situations. When/if I shift to a full frame camera, I will be modifying this lens to fit.
One nice item was that it can use the same filters as the 24-70 and 70-200 F2.8 if you already have those in your kit.
It opened up a whole new aspect of landscape photography to me.

Jun 13, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mmajsw to your Buddy List
rideklein

Registered: Apr 2, 2010
Review Date: Jun 8, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great IQ, USM, Accurate AF.
Cons:
Poor design on rear (camera side) of lens.

For super wide angle on APS-C bodies, there really is no better option. No "L" is available in this low a FL range. Therefore, given its great IQ and no other Canon alternatives, it gets an Overall Rating of 10.

Leaving a filter on the front of this lens makes a lot of sense. It essentially weather- and dust-seals the objective lens, which moves back and forth during zooming.

Now onto the rear of the lens body... I don't know the name of the of the glass nearest the camera body, so whatever's it's called -- it also moves fore and aft during zooming (like the objective lens). But when this glass moves, it creates a big gap at the back of the lens (inside the lens). Now, this area would never be exposed unless you're changing or cleaning the lens, but it's there no less. Easy entry for dust and/or those sometimes stray filaments from your favorite cloth lens wipe. You could drop a pebble down in there, it's such a large gap. So, being ignorant to the in's and out's of lens design, and the limitations therein, I give it only an 8 on Build Quality. Outside, the lens feels solid and well-balanced. Just don't store it without the rear cap on.

All this said, I am happy with the lens, and would buy again. I've found it great to use for landscape photography. I also use it with people scenes, yielding a sometimes wild and fun perspective.

Jun 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rideklein to your Buddy List
dustnet

Registered: Jul 30, 2008
Review Date: Jun 8, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Nice build quality, autofocus, range, 77mm diameter
Cons:
Purple fringing, distortion

Hi everybody,

I've been using this lens for a period of 3 years, mainly on a 40D and I loved it (and also rarely hated it, more on that later). I'm now using a 5D II + 17-40L.

Pros:
+ Great range. Even though I would have prefer a 10-35mm or something like that. That kind of focal can provide the unique look you're looking after and in the same time can provide a classic FF 35mm.
+ Autofocus is great (USM). People are sometime saying that it doesn't matter to have good AF on a wide angle lens, they're wrong, try to photograph a person running in front of you, you'll understand.
+ 77mm diameter, a classic at Canon, compatible with 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400...etc..
+ Build quality. You clearly understand that it is part of the best EF-S lenses.

Cons:
- Purple Fringing. I sometime spent a lot of time post processing my pictures to get rid of this hideous purple fringing.
- Distortion on the edge at 10mm is huge but it's clearly understandable, even though I would have liked it to see it better.

Other things:
- I would strongly recommend to use thin B+W filters to avoid vignetting.
- If I still needed a wide angle lens for an APS-C camera, I will clearly buy this one.
- Get a lens hood, this lens is sensitive to flare + it can protect your front lens. With wide angle lens, any scratch on the front lens can affect image quality!

I strongly encourage you to check my gallery and blog to see real world examples (especially landscape and architecture work) :

Thanks !
Emmanuel.

Jun 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dustnet to your Buddy List
Pierre_B

Registered: May 21, 2010
Review Date: May 21, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: image quality, distortion control, product quality
Cons:
price

As far as wide angle zooms for the crop cameras, I have never been happier with my choice to go with the 10-22.

This is probably closest to an L lens without actually being an L lens. The zoom ring is smooth and the image quality is stellar.

I do alot of urban shooting and cityscapes with this lens and it produces great results. I have even done some themed portrait shots requiring some distortion with the wide angle.

I recently purchased a 7D and I was debating going 7D or 5D2 and I stuck with the 7D as I would not be able to use my 10-22 on the 5D2 and it would take me a long while to get the 16-35.

Great lens.

Here are some sample images to show the amazing image quality

Night shot @ 20mm

Cityscape @ 13mm

May 21, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Pierre_B to your Buddy List
Phil UKNet

Registered: Oct 20, 2007
Review Date: Mar 27, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, good image quality, light weight, offers unique composition capabilities
Cons:
For crop body cameras only, vignetting can be a problem, AF/MF switch easy to knock accidentally, focus and zoom ring positions reversed compared to other Canon lenses

For Canon crop body cameras there is only one Canon ultrawide lens available. This is it.

If you are used to lenses of a more conventional focal length, you are in for quite a surprise when you first look through the viewfinder with this lens mounted.

The composition opportunities are nothing like standard lenses, but at the same time composition can be difficult because there is just so much in the frame.

In some situations, only this lens will do. In other situations, other lenses can be used but the perspective using this lens can give a completely different kind of photo. For that reason, it can be quite addictive.

On a crop body camera it gives a minimum focal length of 16mm. The Canon 550EX flash (using the built-in diffuser) is only supposed to cover 17mm but this combination seems to work OK.

In bright conditions vignetting can be a noticeable problem but this is easily fixed in post-processing.

For some more thoughts and sample images see:

Mar 27, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Phil UKNet to your Buddy List
AnderlSp

Registered: Jan 12, 2010
Review Date: Jan 30, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: light weight, sharp, great IQ
Cons:
not really found one.

I used this lens with my EOS20D. This lens opened a new world for the crop camera. Now it was possible to make real good landscape pictures. The lens is very light weight so it's almost a pleasure to carry it. The autofocus is fine. The IQ is great if you consider the 10mm! I loved it. No I change to the 5DMkII and with my 24-105L I do now miss the 10mm (corresponding 16mm).

Samples you'll find at my web site:

-> go to Fotographie and you will see the blog

Kind Regards
Andreas

Jan 30, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AnderlSp to your Buddy List
dirkb

Registered: Jul 9, 2008
Review Date: Jan 29, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: little distortion, great IQ, very good build. nice UWA for a crop camera. L optical quality, for less $$.
Cons:
none i can think of.

I had one before and sold it. i've regretted that ever since. Saw it on craigslist and jumped at the chance.

i've got a 17-35 2.8, that works well on my 5d. this is an equivalent for the T1i and 50d. great lens. Smile

Jan 29, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dirkb to your Buddy List
shiftdelete

Registered: Oct 31, 2005
Review Date: Oct 16, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: GREAT Ultrawide Range! Sharp, crisp images. USM, good build.
Cons:
Not "L", but it doesn't matter.

Just got this lens, and I have to say, it's amazing! It opens up a new world to crop-sensor bodies.

At 10mm, you can achieve mind-numbing ultrawide landscapes, as well as those super-close cartoon-like portraits.

At 22mm, you have a great 1:1 (35mm) view. Truly a great range that compliments nearly any other all-purpose zoom lens. (think 17-40, 17-55, 28-135, etc).

My copy appears very sharp, and spot on USM focusing. I'm still testing everything, but it appears to be great.

Build quality is solid. Not quite "L", but this won't break on you. Price is fair, if a little high, but for what you are getting, it's definitely worth every penny.

This lens is probably going to stay on my camera most of the time, as I really enjoy wide angle shooting. Between that and my 60mm Macro, and 70-200 f4L, I'm very happy.

Oct 16, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add shiftdelete to your Buddy List
vongole

Registered: Apr 1, 2008
Review Date: Sep 20, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Ultra-wide. Sharp. Not too heavy
Cons:
The price maybe. Sun cap is not included and is expensive.

For an ultrawide this is a very sharp lens, look at this photos and amaze yourself. The first one is a large file.

I really like this one. I use it at 10mm 95% of the time.

Sep 20, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vongole to your Buddy List
boboche

Registered: Sep 19, 2009
Review Date: Sep 19, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent lens for EF-S (20D 30D 50D 7D) cameras, amazing IQ and speed for the price.
Cons:
If we could only have that quality and pricing on an EF mount!!

Like most people, I started a long time ago with cheap lenses, cheap zoom and got tired of having a x Megapixel camera that actually sharply resolves less than half of that.

I decided I was ready to trade off some versatility in order to gain a wider angle. I bought the 10-22 and never regretted it. That lens is amazing, excellent quality, it feels solid, especially for a EF-S lens (i.e. the typical 18-55s look like a cheap plastic junk compared to that lens), it will distort at 10mm but not terribly, if it annoys, you can undistort it easily with all the available software out there.

When I go on a trip, I always bring it and use it as my main lens. the only drawback is it's a little heavy for long walks (but nothing compared to my 100-400L), it's worth it!

I love this lens so much, I will need to make a move from my 20D to either the 7D or 5DmkII, and the only reason I am hesitating is not only for the price difference from the 7D to the 5D, but having to give away that lens and pay a different to get a 17-40mm which I didn't see much difference (and losing equivalent 1mm (1.6x crop)). The other 16mm (equivalent) is just too expensive once you tried the 10-22.

Sep 19, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add boboche to your Buddy List
buddyRoland

Registered: Oct 30, 2008
Review Date: Sep 16, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $727.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Gives the APS-C shooters true ultra wide capability. Captures true colors and lacks excessive distortion.
Cons:
Pricey but you get what you pay for.

I had purchased my other lenses as if preparing for my eventual purchase of a full-framer. This EF-S lens helps me put off going full frame for a while. The images I captured were sharp, especially in the 17 - 22mm range.

Sep 16, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add buddyRoland to your Buddy List
platypus

Registered: Oct 29, 2005
Review Date: Aug 23, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Fairly light, nice finish, smooth controls, USM fast focus, sharp at all settings if used with care.
Cons:
Some colour fringing, not always sharp into the corners (but good for UWA zoom)

Got this one off ebay recently after using Sigma's equivalent for the last three years.
Immediately noticed it had a different quality to the Sigma - may be better contrast and colour, and the Sigma is no slouch.
This Canon is best at about f5.6/8. Diffraction seems to set in at smaller apertures.

I appreciate the (albeit slightly) wider aperture and range. Distortion is noticeably better controlled than the Sigma and vignetting is not such an issue. As you would expect from
any UWA zoom, sharpness doesn't really go all the way into the corners, but it's at a pretty decent level.

Lens is nicely finished but it's debatable whether build quality is any better than Sigma's - some may feel it is worse.
Focus accuracy is fairly reliable. I think these wide angle zooms can miss precise focus sometimes at the wider end due to big DOF. When focus is spot on it's surprisingly sharp wide-open. Sometimes wonder if my 40D might need focus checked, but maybe expecting 100% focus accuracy is unrealistic.

Aug 23, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add platypus to your Buddy List
digifilm

Registered: Jun 21, 2009
Review Date: Jun 21, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, Low distortion for a 10mm lens. "L" Glass, Fits everything in the frame. Great build quality.
Cons:
Would love to have it sharp wide open but of course.

These are just a few photos but there is a link to my video of time-lapse photography all shot with the 10-22mm lens on my 40D.

Jun 21, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add digifilm to your Buddy List
danbachmann

Registered: Nov 14, 2004
Review Date: Apr 5, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $625.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: close focusing, sharp
Cons:
costs a bit much

Once I got used to this lens, I started really liking it. At 22mm, I think it is sharper (or at least focuses better) than the Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 prime lens.

I'd also consider the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8.

Apr 5, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add danbachmann to your Buddy List

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM