200 206973 Dec 4, 2009

- Compatible with all EF/EF-S Lenses and Many EOS System Accessories

FCWquest

Registered: May 12, 2005
Review Date: Oct 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Amazing megapixels for the price (8.2), quite fast burst speed of 5.5 fps, lightning fast autofocus when used with L lenses, very sharp, array of features, and VERY good battery life.
Cons:
Burst speed could be faster like the 1D, only 9 autofocus points (compared to the 1D), custom white balance doesn't work great, and a noisy shutter.

The 20D is an excellent prosumer camera, with 8.2 megapixels, you can print as large as you wish (within reason). The bust speed, while not incredible, is considerably faster than the 300D and 350D at 5.5 fps compared to 2.5 (huge difference in sports). There are nine autofocus points in a diamond formation, which is MUCH better than the 7 AF points on the 300D. The 20D's shutter response time is much better than the 300D's and it's autofocus time is much faster. And the battery life is really good on this camera, and even better if you buy the grip.

However, the shutter is very noisy, and white balance can fluctuate at times. And if you compare this to the 1D, there are far less AF points and the burst speed isn't quite as much.

Bottom-Line: A very good camera for the money, and it provides a good quality, high megapixel image while keeping the burst speed relatively high.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add FCWquest to your Buddy List
Emre

Registered: Sep 9, 2005
Location: Turkey
Review Date: Oct 24, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: kelvin white balance
Cons:
price

Thats a great camera but I still prefer to buy digital rebel XT
Everybody may claim that this one is better.Yeah I also think that this one is better but Digital REbel has an extremely high potential for $836-camera
Why 20d is better than digital rebel ?
1-) fast shutter speed (for eos20d max 1/8000 for digital rebel max 1/4000 )
2-) kelvin white balance
and the actual question !!!
am I as dull as to pay $836 two times for only these two features
I've been using digital rebel for 3 mounths so far Im so happy
only problem is 18-55 mm lens.But Im about to buy new lenses.
After the digital photography everybody started to be a photographer .
Digital cameras , cameras on the mobile phones and so on.
but I still beleave in digital will never be able to catch the quality of film cameras.
Guys save your money ! money doesnt grow on the tree
lastly I want to give a information without a comment
I live in turkey and want to buy canon a 85 mm lens and a 70-200mm lens
in u.s. 85 lens is about $1.500 in turkey it's $3000
in u.s. 70-200 mm lens is about $1.100 in turkey it's $4000
lots of thanks to canon for this affordable prices for Europe and Turkey

Oct 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Emre to your Buddy List
JohnGalla

Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Review Date: Oct 24, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Functions & build quality for the price. Good picture quaity.
Cons:
Reliability & Canon Service.

When I first got my first 20d the camera was excellent. Then it developed a fault. Very disappointing as I did not use the camera that much. It got sent back to Canon, 8 weeks later still not received. Canon said it could take another 4-6 weeks. The company in the UK where I purchased it from exchanged it for a new one when they did not have to.

Had the new one several months now and it has developed another fault (very high noise on large Raw & Japeg files). It is now going back to Canon.

I am not a pro user so do not use it much. If I was a pro I would not trust this camera.

On the bright side when it is working it is an excellent buy with very good image quality.

Oct 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JohnGalla to your Buddy List
beerboy

Registered: Sep 14, 2005
Review Date: Oct 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice build, instant shutter response, 5 fps, excellent battery life, good menu system, 9 point auto focus.
Cons:
not cheap

My previous camera was a Nikon D70, so my review should be read with that in mind.

I like this camera a lot. I have just been to China for 10 days and I hadn't used it much before going, but this camera was easy to use. The menus are quick and easy to navigate and the main settings easy to change.

I took about 1000 pics and it never let me down. Sure there are some crap pics, but that's my fault.

The battery life is incredible when using jpg. If you shoot raw, you'll need to keep an eye on the power, or get a spare battery, if you are out all day shooting. I shot some raw + jpg at one stage and that sucked a bit of battery power.

Shutter response is instantaneous and i love the noise. The shutter noise hasn't bothered me, but if you going to be taking pictures of Tiger Woods, you better check the noise before buying.

View finder is pretty good for this class. Heaps better than D70, but still doesn't compare to viewfinder on even a N80/eos 30 type film camera, of a FF digital. If you manually focus a lot, you'll need to check whether the viewfinder is big enough for you.

The build quality is very good. Perhaps not quite as good as D70, but still good enough for most amateurs.

When used with usm lens, autofocus is fast and silent.

overall a very good camera and a joy to use. For me its been a worthy upgrade from the D70 (an excellent camera in its own right).

Oct 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add beerboy to your Buddy List
titoleta

Registered: Oct 18, 2005
Location: Luxembourg
Review Date: Oct 18, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: A very good product for the price
Cons:
small black spot appear when you take a picture of a blue sky

However, I have found a bug, If you take a picture of a blue sky and you include for example, the sun in the picture(put the sun on the right side), there a some small black spot on the left of the picture.

Oct 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add titoleta to your Buddy List
Robert P

Registered: Sep 5, 2005
Review Date: Oct 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality, high ISO actually usable, controls, mirror lockup, build quality
Cons:
Shutter is loud, much louder then my 300D. The CF card door is flimsy,

Awesome camera for the money. 8 mp is really an asset when you need to crop. Much much better then my 300D in terms of image and build quality. Controls are great I love having the two wheels. The shutter is obnoxiously loud and I get many looks when I'm shooting a concert. Its my only real criticism.

Oct 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Robert P to your Buddy List
csavery

Registered: Mar 1, 2005
Review Date: Oct 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $979.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: excellent images, robust feel, speed
Cons:
creaky cf door

This has been a significant upgrade from my 300D. I'm loving it and very happy with the move up. It's much easier to work the controls compared to the 300D. I really like the wheel thing.

The only complaints I have and these are mentioned just to be thorugh as I don't feel like they affect functionality:

CF door is shoddy, I guess everyone knows this now but I think we should be driving it home to Canon because aparently the 5D is still the same. I don't think they get it that when you pay over $1000 for a camera the door shouldn't creak and move under your palm. It just feels shoddy and the rest of the build is so good.

People complain about mirror noise but they have to remember that they're getitng 5 fps and you have to move that mirror quickly to get that. I think Canon should have a slow mode that's quiet for single shot use. That would have made perfect sense and quieted all the people who find the noise unacceptable. For me, I don't mind it much at all. I love the sound of it firing - it makes me feel just so "pro".

Unless you're going to spend a lot more money I'd highly recommend this camera. I'll keep it a few years and then keep on moving up the food chain.

Oct 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add csavery to your Buddy List
ptnik

Registered: Oct 4, 2005
Review Date: Oct 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: small, light, top notch images
Cons:
flimsy CF card door cover

best value for your buck...images so close to the 1D mkII its almost impossible to distinguish between the two.

Oct 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ptnik to your Buddy List
swat_pup007

Registered: May 31, 2004
Review Date: Sep 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, layout controls, ease of use, menu controls, overall quality
Cons:
no spot metering, loud mirror, blocky optional battery grip

I bought this new when they first came out, and seems Canon had lots of problems with them then. My first one had lint behind the LCD screen, my second the firmware update locked the camera up, my third works like a charm, but the battery grip had to be sent back for warranty work.

I absolutely love this camera, and am a die hard Canon fan. I have owned many different cameras, including the small point and shoots, both digital and film. This is my first digital SLR, but I have rented and borrowed the 10D, and the Mark II.

Overall this camera is very easy to use, and the controls are well laid out. It has a ton of features, some which you will probably never use. It has several custom functions that lets you setup the camera the way you would like it to run.

I wish it had spot metering, and the optional battery grip is just plain ugly. It doesn't seem like it intergrates with the flow or design of the camera very well, and seems like you stuck a large brick below the camera. The mirrior is louder than the 10D, but unless you are in a very quiet room taking pictures of something, it won't both you. But it does make a noticable loud clunk with the mirrior cycles.

Canon has replaced all of my problems free of charge, and I think they have worked out most of the kinks now since it was first introduced. I wish it had more megapixels, but alas, 8.2 will just hafta do unless you want to shell out major $$.

Sep 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add swat_pup007 to your Buddy List
ksimpson

Registered: Sep 25, 2005
Review Date: Sep 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good build quality. Excellent battery life. Very versatile with penty of features. Suitable for anyone from beginner to pro.
Cons:
Flimsy CF cover. Small LCD screen. Built in flash could be better. Shutter is noisy.

Very pleased with this camera. Would highly recomment.

Sep 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ksimpson to your Buddy List
Max_Pain

Registered: Apr 24, 2005
Review Date: Sep 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: great noise performance, awesome image quality, decent price, great construction quality
Cons:
shutter is loud, but this is my first dSLR so that might be a problem spawned across all of them...is it?

this is my first dSLR camera and i'm just ecstatic about it. everything about it seems to perfectly laid out and so strongly built that it makes me wonder how people can settle for anything less! i havent had enough time to judge the camera entirely but based on my ~2 hour photoshoot from today this camera's a winner. i took a shot indoors with the built in flash of my sister sleeping at ISO3200 that had less grain than my previous P&S at ISO200...
like i said above, the only thing that has bothered me is the shutter seems a little bit loud, but then again it might just be my ears not used to dSLR shutters :-)
my advice is to BUY IT if you're thinking about it :-)

Sep 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Max_Pain to your Buddy List
wasc007

Registered: Sep 18, 2005
Review Date: Sep 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,349.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: very fast focus, bright viewfinder, solid body, good trigger (sorry, I am a target shooter as well), very fast USB 2.0 and CF access.
Cons:
built-in flash sucks and prone to failure. on-off switch is poorly positioned. Very loud mirror (try using it in a concert and everyone gives you dirty looks).

Of course I bought this camera because I can't afford the 1DS MKII. My major complain is the built-in flash. On the 2nd day after I got my brand new 20D, the flash got stuck and Err 05 came up and the camera went dead. I had to send it back get an RMA and wait one week for a replacement. I am happy to say the replacement has been flawless so far but come-on, QA seems to be Canon's weak point on all their stuff lately including high-end L lens.

Autofocus is fast but I do see a fair number of misses after blowing up the picture. I have both the 24-70L and the 70-200L both are F2.8 so supposely all 9-points are active. But I have learned to use only the center cross sensor for optimal in focus shots.

Mirror is extremely loud. If you take a picture in a quite setting, everyone will know you took a picture.

Body is so much better than the XT, no regret so far and will be selling the 20D in a year or so to upgrade to the 1DS or maybe the 5D? Did I say I hate the built-in flash already?

Sep 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wasc007 to your Buddy List
Wren

Registered: Oct 28, 2004
Review Date: Sep 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, well built magnesium alloy camera. This camera is awesome! Works perfectly with my EF 24-70 f/2.8L lens!
Cons:
It's more wishful thinking....would love to have it as a 1.3 crop sensor.

Sep 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Wren to your Buddy List
parolajd

Registered: Sep 11, 2005
Review Date: Sep 11, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 1

Pros: Light weight, good ergonomics, ability to use all Canon EF and EFS lenses. Battery charge lasts a very long time.
Cons:
Poor workmanship, noisey mirror, lots of vibration, locks up every 300-400 pictures (sitting on my desk with the mirror locked in the up position right now!) underexposes nearly all shots by 1/3 stop. Auto focus not accurate. As soon as I get it back from the service center I am going to sell it and all the lenses, my first and last Canon camera.

I need dependable equipment and this camera is not! I read many reviews on this site and many other sites before buying the 20D. None of them really get into how poorly this camera is built. Then after I bought the 20D I went to Dubai and meet with several other photographers who are having the same problems I have with the 20D. In fact two of them had switched to Canon digital cameras from Nikon and are selling all the Canon junk for a big loss and buying Nikon equipment again! Looks like that is what I will have to do!
Too bad Contax failed at building a DSLR!

Sep 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add parolajd to your Buddy List
Tolmika

Registered: Sep 11, 2005
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Sep 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Speed, "picture" quality, massive body, good switch from analog SLR
Cons:
loud of mirror, little LCD, battery grip rear door material, not 100% on viewfinder

I had a Nikon N90s anaolg slr before, and waiting for a long time a similar dslr. Nikon d70 is a disappointment (speed, body material, no battery grip etc.), and I'm change CANON technology, and it was a good decision! USM is fantastic! Of course, 20d is not perfect, BUT I can live that compromises.

Sep 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Tolmika to your Buddy List
JimGriggs

Registered: Sep 10, 2005
Review Date: Sep 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: A step up from the 10D in some aspects, speed, noise at high ASA's, capture modes.
Cons:
noisy mirror slap, lots of vibration from the mirror

This is my standard camera for everyday use. Have made 16X20's off it easily. Shooting in RAW+JPEG mode has helped a lot in getting things through my workflow. I have the vertical grip for it as well. I use CF12 a lot with the cable release because of the mirror slap issue.

Sep 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JimGriggs to your Buddy List

200 206973 Dec 4, 2009