67 330606 Jul 21, 2014
8.3

With the large maximum aperture, excellent background blur is possible even with a fast shutter speed. The aspherical lens element makes the lens compact and corrects spherical aberrations. The image is sharp even at the edges. Lead-free glass is used.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5
Unregistered
Review Date: Jul 11, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $240.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Good handling, nice size on a 10D, fast, relatively inexpensive.
Cons:
Slightly soft wide open, edges worse than center. Much more expensive than 2.8

Nice fast good handling lens to act as a normal for the 1.6 crowd. This lens definitely gets pretty soft on the edges wide open, so it might not be a good choice for full frame. As a pair with the 50mm 1.4 you have two fast lenses that share the same filter size and handle exactly the same. The edge softenss does not bother me too much, as usually if I am shooting at 1.8 I am not concerned about ultimate sharpness in the corners.

I have used the 2.8 and this lens performs just about exactly the same from 2.8 on. The 2.8 also focuses just as fast as this, albiet a little more buzzy.

Jul 11, 2003
Edit/Delete Message
sirhaas

Registered: Mar 9, 2002
Review Date: Apr 3, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fairly sharp, handles OK, fast aperture.
Cons:
Sometimes "soft" at the edges.

When I used this lens on my EOS film camera, I always thought it was just a little soft in the corners. Now that I use it on a D30 I donít find it quite so soft, I guess that must be because of the 1.6x crop factor. Sharpness and contrast is comparable to my 50mm f1.4 as well as the overall build and handling. Makes an excellent normal lens on my D30.

I also owned the Canon 28mm f2.8 some years back. I find the biggest difference between the two is that the f1.8 handles a lot better with the USM focus. The faster f1.8 aperture also comes in handy for me in some situations, although I usually shoot at around f4-f8.

Apr 3, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sirhaas to your Buddy List
Jack Flesher

Registered: Oct 23, 2002
Review Date: Apr 1, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $225.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Fast f-stop
Cons:
Build quality and so-so optical performanc wide open.

For what it is, it's a fine lens. Performance improves when stopped down to around f5.6, but below that it suffers in the corners -- but then again, I'm picky...

Apr 1, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add Jack Flesher to your Buddy List

67 330606 Jul 21, 2014