66 324344 Feb 21, 2013
8.3

With the large maximum aperture, excellent background blur is possible even with a fast shutter speed. The aspherical lens element makes the lens compact and corrects spherical aberrations. The image is sharp even at the edges. Lead-free glass is used.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5
sirhaas

Registered: Mar 9, 2002
Review Date: Apr 3, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fairly sharp, handles OK, fast aperture.
Cons:
Sometimes "soft" at the edges.

When I used this lens on my EOS film camera, I always thought it was just a little soft in the corners. Now that I use it on a D30 I donít find it quite so soft, I guess that must be because of the 1.6x crop factor. Sharpness and contrast is comparable to my 50mm f1.4 as well as the overall build and handling. Makes an excellent normal lens on my D30.

I also owned the Canon 28mm f2.8 some years back. I find the biggest difference between the two is that the f1.8 handles a lot better with the USM focus. The faster f1.8 aperture also comes in handy for me in some situations, although I usually shoot at around f4-f8.

Apr 3, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sirhaas to your Buddy List
Jack Flesher

Registered: Oct 23, 2002
Review Date: Apr 1, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $225.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Fast f-stop
Cons:
Build quality and so-so optical performanc wide open.

For what it is, it's a fine lens. Performance improves when stopped down to around f5.6, but below that it suffers in the corners -- but then again, I'm picky...

Apr 1, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add Jack Flesher to your Buddy List

66 324344 Feb 21, 2013