Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM

68 332813 Feb 23, 2013
ef28-300_35-56lisu

A handy, compact zoom lens for versatile and easy subject selection while travelling, etc. The highest optical performance in its class, plus the convenience of focusing as close as 2.3 feet over the entire zooming range. A powerful ring-type USM drive provides silent, high-speed autofocusing, plus the wide zooming range provides an easy, enjoyable picture-taking experience.

wfr2

Registered: May 14, 2003
Review Date: Jul 27, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: massive focal length range, good sharpness and focusing accuracy once calibrated, great lens to have on the seat next to you
Cons:
too heavy to use as a walk around lens, variable f stop, only 5.6 at 300mm, IS a little disappointing

I bought this lens to replace a 100-400 which was not as sharp as I would have liked. I wanted a zoom to put on a second camera while photographing from a safari car with my 500mm and this will work great. Having the lower focal lengths will be a huge benefit over my 100-400 or 70-200f4. Once I calibrated it to my 50D, I was very pleased with focus accuracy throughout its range. I also have tested it on my 1Ds3 and was very happy. The only downside is the IS which does not seem as effective on this lens as on my other lenses--good but not great. It is too heavy to be used as a walk around lens, I will keep the 70-200 for that. I don't like the push/pull either but there is no alternative. This is something of a specialty lens. If you really need this range, the weight and cost are worth it.

Jul 27, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wfr2 to your Buddy List
dirkb

Registered: Jul 9, 2008
Review Date: Jul 27, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

edit: last post i somehow mistook this being compatable with the 1.4 extender. that was my old 100-400. lack of caffeine...yeah, that was it. Smile

Jul 27, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dirkb to your Buddy List
dirkb

Registered: Jul 9, 2008
Review Date: Jul 21, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, great IQ, versatile
Cons:
a bit heavy (but knew that going in)

works great, i really like the "one lens for most stuff" factor. a bit heavy, but i'm over that. works well w/ 1.4 II extender, also if i need more reach.

Jul 21, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dirkb to your Buddy List
wkosten

Registered: Aug 27, 2003
Review Date: May 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: All zoomdistances in one lens without hasseling with lens changes and dust, sharp
Cons:
Weight, on my 5D with grip I thing it's around 3kg.

We're into photographing vessels up and around the river Scheldt and used an 24-105F4L and an 70-200F4L (sometimes with the 1.4 MK2 extender) but got tired of changing lenses and the dust in my 5D (which really attracts dust) and ran into a second-hand version of this lens.

Took my changes and replaced the 70-200 with this one and never took it off. It's sharp (atleast as sharp as my 70-200) all the way. Distortion on the edges is in my opinion not as bad as with the 24-105L although I never go below F8.

If you buy it new it's a pricy thing but imho worth every penny!

The pumpzoom instead of the twist zoom is something you hate or love. I wasn't to happy with it but it's a mather of getting used to it.

May 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wkosten to your Buddy List
RudydG

Registered: Oct 7, 2003
Review Date: May 11, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Super on 5D, even better on 5DmkII Range range range.... The pro one lens solution.
Cons:
Stille the same as i previously stated, price and weight

This is still (and again) my favorite piece of glass, it surely is better than my 100-400L, (sharpness, stabilisation also better, and focusspeed) and i feel it can rival the 24-105L. So all these people saying that 24-105 + 100-400 is a better combo, be carefull what you say without trying.
My believe is, that if more people had acces to this lens, more people would appreciate it.
What i don't understand is the low figures it gets at the photozone on 5dmkII fulframe test. I was affraid reading this test, but my findings are totaly different.
I would rate it 10 now

May 11, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RudydG to your Buddy List
horrgakx

Registered: Mar 8, 2009
Review Date: Apr 14, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: A great all-round lens, sturdy. Great push/pull zoom.
Cons:
Weight, push/pull moves air through even a 1DmkIII.

Well I've had this lens for over 5 years now and I've shot a LOT of photos. I love the push/pull zoom, more-so than the ring type found on other lenses. Its just so quick, easy and intuitive to use.

I've shot a lot of motorsport with it and I have found sometimes that the 300mm is a little too long, especially on a 1.6 crop body (I have a 1.3 crop body too and it can sometimes be a little too long). However, the wider ability is a bonus too because it means less lens-swapping.

The weight of it can be an issue, but I'm a big fella but carrying a 1DmkI, this lens, a 580EX-II flash and separate battery pack around all day ... well the combined weight (of which the lens is most!) can mean your right arm being 2" longer than the other at the end of a day.

Yes I'd recommend it, however I'm finding the f3.5-f5.6 aperture to be a little restrictive, especially indoors. Luckily with the modern bodies you can go quite high in ISO and still get a usable result but with my old Canon D60 anything around ISO-800 was VERY grainy, and if I'd had a 70-200 f2.8 on there instead... well I would have had some better results.

In outdoor conditions this lens is superb. I would not hesitate recommending it. But do go to the gym for some bicep curls before you buy Smile

I normally shoot with a wider 16-35 L II USM lens but I recently did a full day with this 28-300 and I'd forgotten what a JOY it is to use. Quick to focus & zoom, feels great, looks the part, superb.

PS - price of 1200 is GBP as I got it from overseas.

Apr 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add horrgakx to your Buddy List
joelypolly

Registered: Mar 29, 2009
Review Date: Apr 7, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Great image quality and very versatile
Cons:
Heavy and does suck in dust on non sealed bodies

This is a update to the original review
Images from the lens and a more detailed review can be found at

Apr 7, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add joelypolly to your Buddy List
joelypolly

Registered: Mar 29, 2009
Review Date: Mar 31, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, nice range, build quality, excellent IS
Cons:
Bit heavy to hand hold at 300mm

Definitely a good lens for the price. Sharp and the zoom range makes it the perfect lens to use for travel.... not so good if you can't carry a heavy lens.

To all those that are complaining about it being a dust pump check to see where the air is being sucked in from your camera. On my 30D it sucks air through the battery compartment so you might want to try and keep that area clean or try and seal it against dust. Those that have a sealed camera shouldn't have any issues.

The pull/push design is much easier to use than two ring style on the normal zooms.

Mar 31, 2009
chadspix

Registered: Mar 31, 2009
Review Date: Mar 31, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,900.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Build and image quality
Cons:
Sucks dust into the body. Heavy, not tack sharp at large aperatures.

I use this lens at music festivals during the day. 1 body with a 16-35 and one body with the 28-300 for walking around during day light. At night I swap this for the 70-200 2.8 and 28-70 2.8.

I shot a music festival on a beach and sucked in more sand than you could imagine over the course of 3 days.

The quality I can get without having to change lenses and lighten the load on my back when walking for miles for several days on end is beneficial. I think the 70-200 is still always going to be the defacto standard for the best zoom lens, but this is a close second. I actually like the pump focus/zoom. I find it easier to compose and focus thana standard 2 barrel twist.

I would definitely recommend this lens if you are going to be shooting during the day and want to minimize the # of lenses that you are going to carry. I am looking forward to using this with the new range of ISO that my 5D MKII's can achieve.

Mar 31, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add chadspix to your Buddy List
Flake_1

Registered: Mar 22, 2009
Review Date: Mar 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, zoom range, fast, quiet, 77mm standard
Cons:
minor niggles, price, weight

Ok it's heavy and it costs a fortune, but what an amazing lens! There's nothing in any other manufacturers line up to match this, it even does close focus!

The ultrasonic focus is quick & quiet, and on the 5D MkII it's a really nice range (a bit long on crop frame), it's the lens I put on when I'm not sure just what I'll need or when it's just too dirty outside to change lenses. My copy is nice and sharp, the only real issue being a slight trembling as the IS settles down. I quite like the push pull zoom as it's really quick to frame and a 'dial in' zoom would either be too slow or impossibly fast with this kind of zoom range.

Contrary to the beliefs of some, it's not a 'do it all' package, the f/5.6 speed isn't fast enough for everything, although if you're careful it will work with a teleconverter, and close up lenses do give some additional 'macro' potential.

The Canon 77mm filter thread means that you can standardise expensive filters.

I find it's better to use this lens with a monopod than trying to hand hold it.

Mar 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Flake_1 to your Buddy List
serendipity69

Registered: Feb 26, 2009
Review Date: Feb 26, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Please could someone email me on a.nicanovich@hotmail.co.uk to let me know whether or not I could use this 28-300mm L IS USM on a 40D? if not then it seem a waste of time. Your thoughts are very much appreciated thankyou.
Cons:

Please could someone email me on a.nicanovich@hotmail.co.uk and let me know if the 40D is good enough for the 28-300mm L IS USM and if those 2 can go together then its worth getting. Thank you for your help and support. Alex

Feb 26, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add serendipity69 to your Buddy List
leowestby

Registered: Jan 13, 2009
Review Date: Jan 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic range, makes band photography a breeze. VERY sharp with my 5D MKII. Great contrast and colour. IS works very well. Great lens with the video mode of the MKII
Cons:
None for me, sold all my other lenses, including a 70-200mm 2.8 and various primes. This lens does all I require.

Great lens with the 5D MKII. Its slowish speed is no problem with the high ISO performance of the MKII for the photography I do. Love the colour and contrast, and am happy to put up with the weight and cost for the incredible image quality. I have NO issues with sharpness, even compared to my 70-200mm 2.8. Which I have now sold as it was gathering dust. This lens stays on the camera full time.

Jan 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add leowestby to your Buddy List
Gordito73

Registered: Nov 12, 2008
Location: Slovakia
Review Date: Nov 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: This lens has great range, no doubt about it
Cons:
Heavy, not as sharp as expected

The positive thing is that the range of this lense is superb. Except for when shooting in cities or situations when my 10-22mm is better, it covers all situations. I used to own Canon EF 100-400mm L and it was heavy, but this lense surpases that. I was ready for a heavy one but it really needs a strong biceps. I am a bit disappointed in sharpness as sometimes the images end up having "white haze" in the blurry areas with shallow DOF. This happens maily on the extremes of the zoom close to 28mm and from 200-300mm in low light conditions. As for price, I think it is steap but holds through times as any L series. After using my 100-400mm L for over a year I still sold it with USD200 profit. I use the lens as all around one but also for shooting kitesurfing. Overall rating 8 because of the sharpness issue; Build quality 9 - because of the push/pull zoom (like the speed of it, do not like the smoothness of movement and lot of air flow it generates inside the camera); Price rating 8 (it is rather expensive, but hold the price over time).

Nov 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Gordito73 to your Buddy List
robert Shuttle

Registered: May 4, 2007
Review Date: Sep 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, IS, Build Quality, Range
Cons:
Weight and Price

I'd been looking for a lens with good range and IQ for a few months so that I could dump a few of my lesser used, lower quality lenses.

I find that because I shoot 'on the move' hand held and have no space nor indeed the inclination to use a tri or monopod, carrying multiple lenses is a pain in the backside.
So last month, after reading various reviews of the 28-300,I took the plunge.
In the four days between paying for the lens and recieving it I came across another review on the web which slammed the lens IQ in particular and everything else about the lens in general saying 'in the main this is a compromise lens' and not a very good one at that.

I was a worried man.
I shouldn't have been, this lens is superb!
I retained an EF24-70L and an EF70-200L f/4.0 IS and I find that this lens, surprisingly, compares very favourably to the IQ of both

Sep 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add robert Shuttle to your Buddy List
mxquattro

Registered: Apr 8, 2006
Review Date: Aug 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Versatility, sharpness, build quality
Cons:
weight

I have been using this lens long enough now to make a decent review. I thought the push-pull zoom would be awkward but have grown to love it. I can frame and focus (when in manual focus) MUCH quicker than a 2 ring lens. This is not a light lens, but it is not unreasonably heavy either, I can easily carry this all day at the race track. At the limits, of aperature and zoom, its just as sharp as its typical sweet spot on an 1Dm2.

It has become my staple lens at the track and for a lot of landscape too. Its still not quite as sharp as my 70-200 but it would take a keen eye to notice the difference.

Highly recommended.

Aug 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mxquattro to your Buddy List
Geofn

Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Review Date: Jul 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,849.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality. Zoom Range.
Cons:
Push-Pull Zoom Action. Size & Weight.

This is my first refurb lens (purchased from Adorama) and I'm quite happy with it. The lens arrived in pristine condition with all original accessories except the box. Looking at the lens I can't tell it isn't new. My copy is razor sharp and required no micro focus adjustments. I'm guessing that some Canon tech hand cleaned, tested and possibly calibrated it as part of the refurb process.

This will be a great travel lens when I want to go "light" with only a single lens (if you can call this lens on a 1Ds3 "light"!!). It's every bit as sharp as my 24L and 35L primes on the wide end, but slightly soft when compared to my 300/4L or my 70-200/2.8L IS on the long end. Still way better than any of the third party zooms of this range.

I am a little concerned about the "dust pump" effect of the push-pull zoom, but I'm trusting that this won't be a serious issue.

In the two weeks that I've had this lens, it has replaced the 24-70L as the lens that "lives" on my 1Ds3. Well done, Canon!

Jul 17, 2008