Canon EOS 1D Mark II

98 139867 Nov 22, 2013
1D2

The EOS-1D Mark II establishes new benchmarks for quick response, flexible control, imaging excellence and RAW image management for professional digital photographers.
- New, 8.2 megapixel CMOS sensor
- High-speed shooting at 8.5 fps.
- Improved autofocus
- New, Digic II processor
- New, Digital Photo Professional (DPP) program for high-speed RAW processing
- E-TTL II Flash Exposure
- More efficient power consumption for better battery life
<a href=http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dm2/html/specifications.html target=_blank>[More...]</a>

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7  next

digitallight

Registered: Jun 24, 2009
Review Date: Jun 24, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $255.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, Start Up Time, Ease of Use
Cons:
Placement of on-off control. Eyecup easy to lose.

I got the camera about 2 weeks ago. I could not pass it up for the price I paid. The camera was from a newspaper. Sure it was worn but was recently serviced and works like a champion.

After having a 1ds version 1 and then the 1ds version 2 the weight was never an issue.

The camera has served my needs as I usually use Nikon lenses with it. With the Nikon lenses all focusing is manual. This reminds me of the days with the Nikon F2 where life was manual.

Jun 24, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add digitallight to your Buddy List
stephenmak

Registered: Feb 16, 2003
Review Date: Jun 2, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Awesome speed, handling, image quality -- a veritable sports car of a camera
Cons:
Weighs a ton

I have been looking for a replacement for a 5D for the past few months. The 5D Mk I for me was a good camera, but not a great one. The full frame was very demanding on lenses (I have some Ls), particularly in edge sharpness, and the image quality, frankly, wasn't quite to my liking. I happened to love the image quality coming out of my 10D. In looking at a number of used 5Ds, I found that the 1D Mk II is often selling for less than a 5D. Probably because the 1D can be intimidating, and weighs a ton.

However, the reward for the workout is a camera with outstanding responsiveness. The 45 point autofocus makes the 5D (and the 10D) positively sluggish. The 8.5 frame rate simply smokes anything. The battery life is amazing. The 1.3x crop takes the edge softness out of the lenses, but still gives a 17-40l a decent wide angle. The sensor output, compared to the 5D is excellently rendered. Colours are perfect, sharpness excellent.

This isn't the camera for everyone. It's heavy, it's demanding, it's not easy to use, but once you've got it mastered, it doesn't lack in anyways against Canon's current crop of video/high megapixel offerings.

IMHO, the high megapixel offerings really don't give a tremendous advantage in terms of being able to print effectively, but they do significantly change the character of the image. The 1D Mk II has a film like characteristic.

I'd highly recommend this as an excellent alternative to a 5D or a new 50D.

Jun 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add stephenmak to your Buddy List
SilkyStrings

Registered: Aug 1, 2006
Review Date: Mar 30, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Handling, AF, Build, Twin Card Slots, IQ
Cons:
(Maybe if I'm being unrealistically picky) Screen Size

Up to acquiring this I had a 5D (mkI) and 40D with a variety of L glass, prime & zoom. I worked out that I could sell the 40D & grip and an EFS and have enough money for one of these. Found a mint (totally as new) example with 1900 actuations and bought it. I can't begin to tell you what a joy it is to use. Lightning quick AF (truly in a different league), superb handling and surprising IQ. I have my own personal theory that although technology marches on the larger pixels employed in this camera (8.2 um) go a long way to providing the IQ along with the APS-H sensor. For me this is in a different league to the 40D. I took the plunge recently and used it alongside my 5D for a professional portrait session and was very pleasantly surprised at the outcome. On a calibrated 22" monitor the files from both cameras are startlingly close, plus, the 1D's handling in the studio is superior. I now feel I have the perfect set up in the 5D mkI and 1D mkII. If you are in the same position I was in, I can thoroughly recommend bypassing Canon's current mega pixel/video strategy and going for one of these beauties, particularly at the prices they can be bought for at the moment. Forgive me quoting one of the most used phrases on these forums but once you have tried a 1D there is no going back. If I get up in the middle of the night and can't sleep I check on it and just handle it for a few minutes (maybe it will wear off in time, but as a confirmed camera 'nut' perhaps it won't). Sad, I know, but unfortunately true!

Mar 30, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add SilkyStrings to your Buddy List
joezasada

Registered: Feb 24, 2005
Review Date: Jan 16, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: High build quality, excellent AF, excellent battery life, good images
Cons:
makes other camera feel inferior after you've gotten used to this one

With a lot of these showing up on the used markets, you would be better to get one of these for the same price (or less) than the cost of a 50D...

The RAW files it produces work well in modern RAW conversion software - so noise isn't an issue at all anymore...

8.2 MP may not be a lot nowadays but it's enough to do very large enlargements - and this camera will still outperform a lot of newer bodies with more megapixels for off-tripod work...

A real workhorse!

Jan 16, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add joezasada to your Buddy List
masculine

Registered: May 4, 2006
Review Date: Dec 29, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great AF. AI Servo fun to play with. Weather sealed body. Able to pair spot metering to AF points. 8.5 fps
Cons:
2" LCD. Heavy

I've always lusting over a 1D body.... something about it I just cannot explain. Canon, listen to me, don't change any curve on the body please. (I hate looking at S**y A9**)

Coming from 40D, some might say, it is a step down. 3" LCD to 2". Digic 3 to Digic 2... not to mention other features... sensor cleaning and bla..bla... but I won't turn back. The AF is unbelievable. My keeper rate is sky high now. I live in a wet tropical country. Last month, managed to do jungle trekking after overnight rain... I had a 17-40L mounted... got it a bit wet and of course some mud.... no worries... weather sealed. Guess can't feel that way with 40D and 17-55 IS... even though IQ is similar to 30D and 40D, the built and robustness are huge advantage. I shoot a lot of thing. Indoor, outdoor, sports, architecture, you name it... this thing will be with me for years to come. Now, if only I can get it to pair with 1Dsmk2. I already change all my lenses to weathersealed zoom L (17-40, 24-70, 70-200).

Cons: It is heavy... I've shot sport event with primarily 70-200 2.8L. My muscle under my armpit sore for a day or two... but hey, it was worth it... >90% keeper of over 800 shots. Every now and then, I borrow my friends 30D with 50mm 1.4 mounted and miss the portablity... but once I look back at my 1D with 24-70, there is nothing like it... for the LCD, I'm still familiarizing myself with it... I envy my friends 50D screen but they envy my 1d body...

Dec 29, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add masculine to your Buddy List
airbphoto

Registered: Mar 11, 2008
Review Date: Nov 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,025.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Built like a tank... Amazing AF speed in both AI Servo & One Shot settings... and FPS bursts...
Cons:
2" LCD... Camera info not shown all the time on the rear LCD (like my Canon XTi)... No "dust" sensor cleaning...

Coming from a Canon XTi, I had to get use to the functionalities of this body (I still am)... It's a little quorky to get use too, but I'm sure in time I'll adjust nicely and configure the functions "on-the-fly" as I do with my XTi... Build is absolutely pro-level... No denying that this body continued the 1D legacy... AF is unquestionably quick and fast... I appreciate it more when I'm tracking my subject in AI Servo mode; absolutely fantastic... Going from 9 (XTi) to 45 (1DmkII) focusing points is a breath of fresh air... I love that flexibility... And going from a 3fps to 8.5fps is mind boggling to the ears... I can almost get 3x the frames, with the same amount of time, versus my XTi... WOW!!!

For me, the two true drawback is the 2" LCD and the lack of camera information continuously show on the rear LCD screen... I guess I'm so use to seeing the camera information always showing on my XTi... But I can counterbalance that with the other positives on this pro-level body... I'm appreciating my 1DmkII everyday and will continue to do so for as long as I have it in my inventory!!!

Nov 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add airbphoto to your Buddy List
Zander Alberts

Registered: Dec 24, 2007
Review Date: Nov 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $980.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: AF, FPS, VF, ergonomics, vertical grip, build, battery life, colors, AWB, high ISO
Cons:
Strongish AA filter, large batteries

Even after using the 1D Classic, all I can say is WOW! This is another wonderful offering from the 1 series line that I know I can depend on. I am a newspaper shooter and need the reliability of this product - and it offers all I need. The AF is always spot on, the AWB is so much better than the 1D, 8.5 fps to get the shot. The ergonomics are wonderful - help balance out heavy lenses. The built in grip is so much nicer that the BG-E2 I had with my 40D. The zoomable image playback is nice after the 1D as well. Colors are great straight out of the camera. Battery life is excellent, way better than the 1D. High ISO noise is fairly comparable to the 40D, with the 40D having the edge.

My only gripes are that the NP-E3s are large and heavy to carry around, and that the files are not nearly as sharp out of cam as the 1D's. A little USM fixes that though.

All in all, an amazing camera, especially at the prices they have been going for recently.

Nov 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Zander Alberts to your Buddy List
mendis

Registered: Oct 30, 2005
Review Date: Oct 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, AF tracking and focus, spot metering on focus point, price is low now, build quality, dynamic range
Cons:
two button operation, LCD small.

When I first used a 1dmk2 with a Canon 300f2.8L IS last year to shoot birds in flight, I was very badly poisoned by the pure speed and accuracy of this combination! What a machine!

Now, after using the 1dmk2 for a week with my 100-400L, I am a happy man. Wonderful handling, accuracy in focus and details. Even when I used a 1.4x TC with the 100-400L, I was able to get nice shots of my birds. Smile

Highly recommended for birding! Needless to say.

Oct 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mendis to your Buddy List
Rusty1

Registered: Oct 5, 2004
Review Date: May 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid build and weather sealed, long shutter life, fast and accurate auto focus, bright 100% view finder, 8 fps, nice image quality and low noise, good battery life, decent wide with 17-40 lens
Cons:
A little big and heavy, although balances large lens well, interface can be awkward, silly firewire and poor CF to SD card switching

Bought as a "refurb by Canon" recently. This camera has fast and more importantly accurate auto focus with good tracking at up to 8 fps if needed. APS-H sensor gives very good 8mp image quality and allows the 17-40L to still be reasonably wide. Nice high ISO performance.

My worries as to 17mm being wide enough for what I shoot have been put to rest. Don't think I could settle for the small dark view finder and AF of my 20D again.

May 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rusty1 to your Buddy List
cleng

Registered: Mar 25, 2007
Review Date: Apr 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: built like indestructible, 8.5 fps, 45 f/points
Cons:
controls, images lacks red, loud shutter sound

just had this camera for two weeks and i'm still in the learning process in this camera. got this baby for $1800 with 7300 shutter count (what else can you ask for Smile ) i shot a golf tournament and boy you can feel the 8.5 fps work. you can't seem to miss a shot with this. af is astonishing but i observed that my 30d focusses better in low light compared to the mark2. shutter seems to be louder compared to the 30d.the controls is different but with a little of your time and reading the manual a bit, you'll get comfortable with the mk2. besides those little complaints that i have, i'm very happy i got this beast and i know we'll be working together for a long long time

Apr 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cleng to your Buddy List
speedblade2

Registered: Jan 10, 2006
Review Date: Apr 11, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,340.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build, Shooting response, and sure footed AF
Cons:
need 2 hands for almost all operations. quite a pain to review images with a 70-200 attached.

Came from a 20D, and MkIII certainly is attractive. But $$$ don't grow on trees here .....

So, taking into consideration the price/performance ratio, i got a used set with 18k actuations.

So far so good.

Apr 11, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add speedblade2 to your Buddy List
dalephill2

Registered: Aug 26, 2003
Review Date: Jun 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Wow factor, amazing. battery life incredible, focus is quick accurate, Many features, 10* view,brighter lcd screen,love it all
Cons:
As I have only hand canons, and 10D, 20D, 1D original now MKII I do not see where there are any negs..

Cannot say enough good things about this cam, bought it used with 11,000 clicks, its just beautiful, looks and feels as if I took it right out of box. comming from the 1D original I must say its leaps ahead, I like the original out of cam pics, but the MKII's jpegs if you bump the to 3-4 there fine, and the raws are huge compared to the original, i'll have to get some 4 gb cards, Oh yeah the sd card input is great. you can get 4gb 150* speed for like 89 dollars as of this time. I have not ventured into the firewire settings of the parameters, perhaps later. for now the colors and skin tones from raw and jepeg are excelent. Oh did I mention battery life.??????? the original was power hungry rarly got 250 shots from bat. have not had a chance to run the battery down yet, but others have said there getting upwards of 700-1000. so this is welcomed..the lcd seems to be more res, and the 10* view is great 1D had none. It is liter as well than the original, not by much but can feel.menu layout is alittle different, but is needed as more features, buttons as well on the back. the battery compartment button is deeper for those that wear gloves. I could go on and on with the features, to many, all I have to say is I will never need another cam.

Jun 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dalephill2 to your Buddy List
Rumpolebailey

Registered: Sep 17, 2005
Review Date: Jun 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build Quality. Image Quality. AF Speed. Battery life, DPP Software
Cons:
Menu. Not enough pixels

Having used this for just over a year after using 300D and 20D, this is really something quite different. The balance is good and not to mention the seemingly indestructible body build quality. AF is excellent although choosing an AF point on the shoot is not as easy as it sounds.

Battery life is so good that it makes my backup battery redundant except for peace of mind.

I only shoot RAW but often with low-res jpeg for tethered shooting. Like the DPP software that comes with the camera. Obviously much less powerful than CS2 but a good way to fine tune RAW files.

1.3 crop is a good compromise as even some of the L-lenses may not perform so well at the corners when using a full-frame sensor.

I suppose I could use a few extra pixels for even larger prints. That said, I have no problem whatsoever in producing prints at 16 x 20in.

Jun 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rumpolebailey to your Buddy List
udoo

Registered: Dec 16, 2003
Review Date: May 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fast AF, shutter speed, bright viewfinder, superb build, good AWB, smooth skin tones(better than 10D), very little blown highlights and dark shadows, Good file size, Very Long lasting battery life.
Cons:
More dust accumalation than my 10D

It has been 3 weeks since I made the switch from 10D to 1D Mark II. Though not long enough to review a product after use. But in this digital day and age, 3 weeks is good enough.

I used to love my 10D and the images I used to get from it. But I would say the Mark II is a class in its own. I am not talking about the body, the AF, the shutter speed, they are all great and I was expecting that. What I did not expect, was the smoother skin tones, better WB and the histogram is dead on. I do not see as much blown highlights and shadows like the 10D. I can better control the color accuracy. The viewfinder is much brighter and covers 100%. Believe me that is very important as I get what I frame. I do not like things in my picture which I did not see in my viewfinder. That was one of my complaints on the 10D. The UI on the camera is better than my 10D and I like the two button system, as I do not accidentally change settings.

I was apprehensive with the size and weight but I got adjusted to it very well. Considering that my 10D was been used without a battery grip and looked like a toy in front of the Mark II. My only grip is the collection of dust. It collects more dust than my old 10D. I have to clean it much more frequently.

If anyone has been waiting to buy this one, the only thing I can say, "The Mark II is a class in its own"

May 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add udoo to your Buddy List
allanbaden

Registered: Apr 5, 2006
Review Date: Apr 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, speed and speed, Amazing AF and build. Just Top quality!
Cons:
None that i can think off

Just amazing kamera. It produced som fantastic files with a lot of detail.

Apr 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add allanbaden to your Buddy List
troutmask

Registered: Sep 22, 2004
Review Date: Jan 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, build quality, A/F, image quality
Cons:
Having to change from CF to SD card manally (nit picing)

What a great machine!
A few months ago Canon launched the "new" MkII N. Some dealers redced their prices on the "old" model and I was "in like Flynn".
the well used 10D was sold to a new home and i got the camera I had been after for the previous 18 mths.
It is great. No more worrying when it rains, no more worries when it dings against a rock face when out climbing. This is built like the proverbiable brick shithouse.
I have used this climbing montains, at bike races and in the studio. It works as well teathered to a lap top taking macro pictures of flowers as it did last weekend in a snow storm snapping the British Cyclo Cross championships.
The battery has only failed after two days and 600 pictures (forgot to charge up that night). Coupled with a L lens its auto focus can keep up with the fastest action and the quality of the RAW files can't be beaten. This is one great camera.
Other than the moan above (which I think may have been sorted with the new N, the only thing I would wish for is a few extra pixels (but not at the expense of image quality).
I had to get a Sigma 12-24mm lens for wide angles so for a pure portrait, landscape photographer then this might not be the best, but for every body else this is the machine to get. I was horrified at the price, but have saved the difference between this and a EOS 1 film camera in film and processing costs alone, not even considering the costs of my time spent scanning.
This is the camera that spells the end of 35mm film for me.

Jan 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add troutmask to your Buddy List

Canon EOS 1D Mark II