Canon EOS Rebel (300D)

300D-2

* Canon Digital SLR designed ground-up to be digital

* 6.3-megapixel CMOS sensor, 3,072 x 2,048 pixel images

* ISO of 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600

* Photo-centric design touch Shutter button in Play mode and camera returns to Record mode.

* Compatible with all Canon EOS system lenses and accessories, focal length multiplier of 1.6, plus the new EF-S digital-only lens.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5

DaveLon

Registered: Dec 1, 2003
Review Date: Mar 31, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,395.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great price when I bought it in the fall. Also lighter than the 10D and I don't use it where a more solid and heavier body would matter. Uses Canon glass as well as others. Excellent battery life.
Cons:
No flash exposure adjustment so external flash needed. Miss spot meter mode especially in manual.

Love the feel of this camera and it lets me feel comfortable when taking shots such as candids at parties. I managed 250 RAW shots in under an hour at a birthday party using external flash and never had to wait for the camera. CD of shots proved very popular.

I don't mind the look and feel but some might find it looks cheap. I find the controls well placed for me and the view finder gives a reasonably bright image even inside.

Excellent with the 1.6 factor for bird shots.

Will be my backup when the 10 D Mark ll (or whatever) comes out.

Mar 31, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DaveLon to your Buddy List
Daniel Buck

Registered: Jan 12, 2004
Review Date: Mar 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Value and image quality
Cons:
lack of metering control, and under exposed shots when the flash is used as the main light source

I did not get the "kit" lens with the body, as it felt very flimsy to me. I won't hit on the positive aspects of this camera, it's really a great camera! very capable of great shots (with a decent lens).

I find the lack of metering choices a bit of a let down (I was fully aware of this before I purchased), and any shots where the flash is used as the main light source tend to come out under exposed. (was not aware of this before I purchased). I'm now looking at either a Metz 54, or Canon 550 flash to deal with this, and also to get nice "bounced flash" results.

The CF card door seems a bit flimsy, and the 3 second "boot up" time before you can take/view pictures can seem a bit long at times, especially when compared with the "instant turn on" of some other DSLR's.

Very nice camera, just a few things I would change, but even with those minor misses, I still view the 300d as a very capable camera! I recommend it, especialy for someone trying to break into the world of DSLR's. Any lenses you purchase will work on other higher end Canon bodies :-)

Mar 27, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Daniel Buck to your Buddy List
Escaport

Registered: Mar 3, 2004
Review Date: Mar 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $999.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Image Quality, Price, Battery Life, Weight.
Cons:
Lack of rear control wheel, no AF mode selection, small image buffer.

So, the Rebel is not perfect. Does anyone really expect it to be?

All in all this is a great digital SLR. I wouldn't recomend it for sports, but in a pinch you could probably get a good shot or two. For most other types of photography it excells. The only real limiting factor is the 4 frame buffer. You can live with all of the quirks. I just wish that I could get 6-7 frames in a row. The lack of the rear control wheel isn't a deal breaker for most photos, but it definatly slows you down.

Mar 27, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Escaport to your Buddy List

Canon EOS Rebel (300D)