Sigma 17-35 mm f2.8-4.0 EX DG HSM

24 133600 Oct 10, 2010
6.4
sigma1735

The new version of this popular lens now utilizes a new type of Hyper Sonic Motor which provides full-time manual focus from the focusing ring.

The lens covers a super-wide angle of view 104 and has a large-aperture. It has a minimum focusing distance of 27mm at all focal lengths, and maximum magnification ratio of 1:4.5. The models which are equipped with HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) system are ensured a quiet, high-speed AF as well as offering Full Time Manual Focusing. Special Low Dispersion (SLD) and two aspherical glass elements provide excellent compensation for distortion as well as for various aberrations. The design concept of this lens is especially suitable for the characteristics of Digital SLR Cameras. The high performance inner focus system is particularly suitable for using circular polarizing filters and a petal-type hood as the front of the lens does not rotate.

Page:  1 · 2  next

spenjam

Registered: Jan 3, 2009
Review Date: Oct 10, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $248.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I like this lens, contrasty, color and focus spot on and sharp, sharp,sharp at all apertures. In fact, sharper and better tham my 17-40L GASP...
Cons:
Size, a little chunky and limited range, but supurb quality photos, not sure why this is not ranked higher unless I lucked out and got an exceptional copy... Best $240 I ever spent... Make sure you look at the DG version as there are 2 versions of this lens.

Just get it! (DG version)

Oct 10, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add spenjam to your Buddy List
Gary_O

Registered: Mar 28, 2009
Review Date: Aug 29, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $349.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Lenses is bright and produces good contrast sharp but for the far corner on full frame. As
Cons:
Color is shifted a little from what a Nikon lenses produces, Greens seems more pronounced.

I just wanted say after reading the reviews from the past people, they are old reviews and mostly Canon camera mounts, I have used this lenses on my past D100 up thru my D700 and the only reason I selling it now is that I broke down and bought a 14-24 and want to buy the 24-70. The newer Canons focus much better now you should this a try if you get a chance it can be a good bargain in disguise for like was for me.

Aug 29, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gary_O to your Buddy List
AmbientMike

Registered: Feb 3, 2010
Review Date: Jul 15, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

One more thing, I use this lens wide open. When I tested at 24mm the corners weren't that hot at the wider apertures, but the center was fine.

Jul 15, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AmbientMike to your Buddy List
AmbientMike

Registered: Feb 3, 2010
Review Date: Jul 15, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $225.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality, solid build, relatively fast, great zoom range
Cons:
Af doesn't work at wider than 28mm unless you're close, lots of flare,

This is a really good lens! I wonder if the bad reviews are from people depending on AF at the wider settings. Af isn't dependable wider than 28.

This lens, to my eye, on aps-c beat my 24/2.8 Zuiko at f/8! There is a dead spot on the right hand side, but I attribute that more to my rough handling of the lens. Haven't tested, but Seems comparable to my 21/3.5 Zuiko at that focal length, also.

Very solidly built lens.

The negatives are lots of flare, which usually can be fixed by holding your hand up and blocking the sun, and like most lenses, soft in corner on FF.

This is one of my most used lenses.

Jul 15, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AmbientMike to your Buddy List
trucks762

Registered: Feb 8, 2010
Review Date: Feb 12, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 3

Pros:
Cons:

This lens does not work below 5.6, I've taken loads of pictures with this thing, and it's rubbish wide open, but over 5.6, it's not bad. Focus is slow, the selling point is the f2.8, but anything shot wide open is soft, and not just the edges, the whole image.

My advice, buy Canon 17-40, it's worth the extra money.

Feb 12, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add trucks762 to your Buddy List
hlmbks

Registered: Mar 24, 2006
Review Date: Apr 15, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: Affordable compared to other 2.8 lenses.
Cons:
Mechanical quality.

I bought my Sigma 17-35 from some company through Amazon. One week after purchasing the lens my AF quit functioning. Sigma would not fix my lense for free because the warranty card I received was not filled out by the dealer! I tried every thing I could to get them to repair it, I even shipped it to them with my Amazon recite, the blank warranty card and a hand written note explaining my situation and problem with the lens. They just shipped it back without touching the lens. After a few months of shooting only with MF my AF decided to work again! But after several more months had gone by the AF began sticking when focusing at the minimal focal range. Soon after that the lens began making a loud "click" sound when zooming in and out right around 25mm and now the lens won't stop down past f/5.6! Due to the poor customer service I experienced and the quality of the lens I received I am sad to say that I will likely never buy a Sigma product again.

Tim

Apr 15, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hlmbks to your Buddy List
woffle

Registered: Jan 25, 2006
Review Date: Mar 2, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast, quiet and wide, built like a tank
Cons:
For the money, not much

Can be picked up for bargain prices, well built, wide enough on cropped DLSR's and fast enough to be used without a flash indoors. Maybe I lucked out but my copy is tack sharp and I love it.

I'd compare it favorably with the 17-40L - especially at well under half the price.

Mar 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add woffle to your Buddy List
Joseph N. Hall

Registered: Dec 31, 2007
Review Date: Sep 2, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: (Very) inexpensive alternative to Canon 16-35/2.8L. Fairly light. Solid build and good appearance.
Cons:
Image quality varies by copy. Usual iffy Sigma focuser.

I'm on my second one of these (same model). My first was purchased c. 2005. Image quality was so-so (although acceptable for many purposes, even full frame), but the main problem was that the lens never focused properly. At all! It focused at more or less random distances regardless of the subject or distance to the subject.

The focuser froze in 2006 and I returned the lens to Sigma; it was returned in working order after a free repair. But the original focusing problem continued. Having other lenses in this focal length, I eventually, for the most part, stopped using it.

Last year I sent it to Sigma, complaining specifically about the focusing problem. I received a brand new lens (new in box with accessories). This one focuses perfectly, and the full frame image quality is good to excellent depending on focal length and aperture. I'm perfectly satisfied with it at the moment and really don't think I would get a lot more out of the (HEAVY) 16-35/2.8L.

Pixel peepers will want the L glass but I'm pretty picky myself, and I'm content with this guy for now.

Sep 2, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Joseph N. Hall to your Buddy List
Tobers

Registered: Jan 23, 2007
Review Date: Apr 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Decent fast full-frame wide angle at a fraction of the price of the Canon 16-35. Softness at f/2.8 sorted with focus micro-adjustment. Build quality nice & solid.
Cons:
Resolution is a bit lacking in the corners at 17mm but nothing to be overly fussed about for this price

I needed to replace my Sigma 10-20 now I have a 1D. The 10-20 vignettes badly especially with some Lee filters on the front. I was after a Canon 16-35 but they are very expensive. This Sigma seemed to fit the bill, with a fast f/2.8 and decently wide 17mm (I'd still like wider though...).

Having read the reviews here the first thing I did when I got it home was a focus test. Indeed it is soft at f/2.8 but nice & sharp at f/8. Being blessed with a 1D mark III, I used the focus micro-adjustment facility and set it to +18 to get a very nice sharp image at f/2.8 at 17mm, with no detremental effects at other apertures & zoom lengths. Result.

So I now have a nice fast wide lens for free funded by the cost of the 10-20 sale. I can use this happily whilst I save up for a 16-35.

Apr 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tobers to your Buddy List
grovner

Registered: May 21, 2002
Review Date: Jan 14, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Nice Case, looks good, achieves "focus" quickly
Cons:
No significant image quality, VERY soft images

I bought this lens based on a friend's recommendation and the reviews on Amazon. Didn't see these reviews till after I ordered it. Worked with the lens on my new 40D in many different light situations: early AM, mid day, and evening outdoors. Almost hourly indoors, including the "tripod Dollar Bill test. All I can say is I found the IQ to be marginal. WAY worse than one would expect from a lens from Sigma's EX series.
I would not recommend this lens to anyone.

Jan 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add grovner to your Buddy List
Aaron Hogsed

Registered: May 31, 2007
Review Date: Jun 12, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: comes with a good soft case
Cons:
soft soft soft.

I have used several copies and seen results from others and this lens helped me convert to the "L" series.

The images were soft at almost every f stop and color was poor. Bad distortion problems. Most images were barely usable.

I would not reccomend this to anyone but the most casual shooter who has no concerns with image quality.

Jun 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Aaron Hogsed to your Buddy List
ltj123

Registered: Mar 16, 2006
Review Date: Oct 31, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $419.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Just a 'very good' lense for my purposes.
Cons:
Bit heavy

Hey this lense has worked very good for the last weding I shot, some outside landscapes, and lastly for bit of portrait work. I have not seen problems others report, focus vg in low light, built in flash works well (no ghosting), crisp images, colors look to be very actual. I am happy with it, using more then Canon lenses I presently have (which work well also).... But I have only had for couple months or about 600 shots....

Oct 31, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ltj123 to your Buddy List
radiodenver

Registered: Apr 4, 2006
Review Date: Apr 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Good general purpose wide-angle zoom. Better than average sharpness. Built like a tank.
Cons:
A little on the heavy side. 77mm filters get expensive. Doesn't work well with pop-up flash (lens shading)

I've been using this lens for over a year. It does a pretty good job in most situations. My biggest complaint is it feels like a boat anchor. Second biggest complaint is that it isn't a good lens for indoor shooting unless you're using a speedlight. It will shadow your images using the pop-up flash. I've got some good results with this lens making landscape shots though. When I head to the mountains, it is always in my bag and will always get used.

Apr 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add radiodenver to your Buddy List
stelin

Registered: Dec 22, 2005
Review Date: Dec 22, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 3

Pros: Optically it is reasonable -- no more.
Cons:
Reliability -- total lack of.

Mine has been used for a total of maybe 200 shots, and is on it's 3rd HSM motor. Bearing in mind my 12-24 had it's HSM die after 1 week of ownership, I have some doubts about them.

Dec 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add stelin to your Buddy List
Mr.Koko

Registered: Apr 25, 2005
Review Date: Apr 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, quite fast, no CA, no vignetting
Cons:
AF weak in pure light conditions - night shots blurry

Lens seems to be a good sample. I use it with my 350D and it acts excellents. It's a bit hot lens - I mean color temperature.

Apr 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mr.Koko to your Buddy List
captainpixel

Registered: Apr 5, 2005
Review Date: Apr 20, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: $400.00

Pros: None really
Cons:
focus problems with Canon EOS Cameras

Ok I've had the lens back from Sigma. I did ask for my money back but as their warranty says - they don't warrant that the lens is fit for purpose so if you want a $400 paperweight get this lens!
It came back with an invoice saying that they had replaced the optics - well it's certainly different to what it was but it's actually worse. I won't bore you with images but it still has serious focus problems.

Any company that doesn't warrant it's goods as fit for purpose, in my view, should be given a very wide berth. Save up a bit longer and get a Canon lens - in fact even the 90 18-55 kit lens with the 20D is better than this one

Apr 20, 2005