Tamron 180mm f/3.5 Di LD IF Macro Autofocus SP AF

23 112222 Jan 5, 2016
19043180mm_1_

This lens employs an IF (Internal Focusing) system that maintains the overall length of the lens during focusing. Uses two LD (Low Dispersion) glass elements that effectively compensate for chromatic aberration. Provides high-contrast, outstanding image quality and a soft out-of-focus background effect. Incorporates an AF/MF one touch switchover mechanism built into the focus ring(for Canon & Nikon only). Super performance series provides high performance through outstanding design specifications. Features the new FEC (Filter Effect Control) function that enhances operational ease of Polarizing Filter use. The new Filter Effect Control is designed to rotate the filter to the desired position while the hood is attached. This is accomplished by turning the FEC ring that in turn rotates the portion of the filter mount where the filter is mounted.

Page:  1 · 2

Antje

Registered: Aug 18, 2002
Review Date: Jul 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, relatively light, good working distance (it's a 180mm after all), good colours and contrast, filter control, good focus ring (I like the clutch mechanism), accurate AF, easy to MF
Cons:
Hood is huge! Lens doesn't feel very solid.

I don't think it's fair to compare this lenses AF with other telephoto lenses - after all, it focuses all the way from infinity to 1:1, and that takes some time! Smile Agreed, it focuses slowly, but it does so relatively quiet (no USM or HSM here, sadly) and when it stops, it usually is in focus even on my 10D. It's best focused manually though. The giant focus ring helps a lot, focusing is smooth and accurate even with the dim viewfinder of the 10D.
The build quality isn't very high, but then, this is not an L lens, is it. It's made of plastic - but it doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart any minute. I don't expect it to stand as much abuse as my 300/4 L USM. The tripod ring indeed is solid on my copy. Be prepared though that it does require steady support. A good tripod and head is mandatory here whereas its smaller brother, the 90/2.8, is far less demanding. That said, the lens is quite light - it's easy to lug around and to handhold when using flash. That's the good thing about the plastic casing and I do like it, my bag is too heavy already...
The image quality is superb, nothing less. The colour, contrast and sharpness are top notch, the detail is fantastic - what more can one want?
It comes with a nifty bag with a rather unique shape. The bag is usable though, well padded and easy to use. Another great thing is the filter control ring which allows you to control a polarizer with hood attached. Great, you would not be able to turn the polarizer with that huge hood otherwise.

Overall, this lens is recommendable, a very good macro lens with excellent working distance, sharpness and overall image quality.

Jul 27, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Antje to your Buddy List
Blitz

Registered: Apr 30, 2004
Review Date: Jun 19, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Very high optical quailty when used in Macro and stopped down. Under these condition better than anything else
Cons:
So, it is a Macro lens. Be aware of DOF at 180. It is sixteen time smaller than with a 45mm.

I have tested it against a Canon 2,8/200mm L II lens and a Sigma 2,8/50mm. In non-macro-situation, especially wide open, the Canon is better. In MAcro-Situaions the Tamron is better than the Sigma when it is in focus. The DOF is simply to small for me. But when it is in focus, it gives you a micro-resolution which simply let you look again and agin to the picture. Picture ask for your attentation as there is too much to discover, while the SIgma is as well nice, but has not this level of differentiation. So, I will go and buy the Tamron 90mm Di now with the hope, that it has this snap-scharakter as well.

Jun 19, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Blitz to your Buddy List
Tom Gattorna

Registered: May 27, 2003
Review Date: Jun 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $680.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extermely sharp, even wide open. Love this lens for macro, landscape, and portrait work. Light weight for this focal length so very easy to keep this lens on the camera a lot of the time. 7-year warranty is also great.
Cons:
Slower AF but not needed for macro and has not discouraged me from using it for landscape or portrait shots either.

I am really impressed with the quality of this lens. I considered the Sigma and Canon 180's but have been extremely pleased with this choice. My tripod collar is rigid and strong so I must have gotten a good copy (I know others have felt it is too flimsy). I would highly recommend this lens.

Jun 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Tom Gattorna to your Buddy List
bmagnuson

Registered: May 24, 2004
Review Date: May 24, 2004 Recommend? no | Price paid: $680.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: None
Cons:
This lens has compatibility problems with my Canon 10D. My Canon lenes work fine, but this lens gives me Err 99 most of the time. Tamron has been very unhelpful. Sent it in for service and they said nothing was wrong with it.

May 24, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bmagnuson to your Buddy List
gmcfly

Registered: May 9, 2003
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Apr 26, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $690.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness and contrast. 1:1 macro and more with acessories. Bokeh. Very smooth manual focus ring.
Cons:
Not good (but useable) AF.

-Amazing lens for macro and portraits. Not good for sports.
-Sharp wide open!
-Very good build quality (my references: canon 35/2 and 85/1.8).
-Very good working distance at 1:1 macro.
-I can do 2.5:1 and 5.5:1 magnifications with reversed 85/1.8 and 35/2.
-Perfect size and weight with my digital rebel.
-Not tried on the tripod yet, so I cant talk about tripod mount.

UPDATE: yes, the tripod mount is not perfect.

Apr 26, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gmcfly to your Buddy List
sdai

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Review Date: Mar 11, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $684.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Pretty sharp this lens, even wide open, very contrasty too ... color balance is neutral. I also agree that the AF/MF is very easy to use.
Cons:
Very slow and loud auto focusing ... bugs may all be scared away. LOL Build quality not as good as the Canon 180/3.5 ... not even the Sigma 180. Flimsy tripod collar. Sort of cheap and plastic feeling in general.

I'm very satisfied with the picture quality for what I paid for ... however, all the glowing reviews on the Internet may give everyone just an illusion that if this were the very best lens out there - there's great improvement can be done with it in terms of build quality, it is very light even mounted on a 1D/1Ds, with 1:1 mag. ratio at 180mm ... I suggest everyone use a tripod at any time, but then Tamron really have to make the tripod collar more rigid.

I'll be very happy to recommend this lens to people.

Mar 11, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sdai to your Buddy List
OwlsEyes

Registered: Feb 22, 2003
Review Date: Dec 20, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack Sharp! This lens is as sharp as the well regarded Tamron 90 f2.8. The AF/MF clutch is simple to use, and requires the user to only change this position when going from AF to MF. Aperture is relatively fast for a long macro.
Cons:
Tripod mount is less rigid than it should be. Autofocus is slow, but who uses AF when doing macro work anyway?

This lens is wonderfully sharp and produces a nice neutral color balance. The optics are as good as any prime that I have used, and I never hesitate to use the lens when I need the best performance I can get.

While I prefer the AFS system of my Nikkors, the AF/MF clutch on the lens barrel is very easy to use. I can move between auto and manual focus without changing any settings on the body.

In my opinion, the lens is as sharp as my 105 micro-nikkor. If you are looking for a bargain in the long tele-macro range, you can not go wrong with the Tamron 180.

Dec 20, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add OwlsEyes to your Buddy List

Tamron 180mm f/3.5 Di LD IF Macro Autofocus SP AF