Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di Zoom AF

175 339789 Jun 16, 2010
8.6
28-75mm

The most compact and lightest in the history of fast zoom lenses. Thanks to the revolutionary downsizing "XR" technology employed by Tamron in the development of high-power zoom lenses such as the 28-200mm and 28-300mm, the dramatic compactness that makes this lens the world's smallest and lightest is achieved. Its compactness makes it look and feel like an ordinary standard zoom lens, yet the versatility that a fast constant maximum aperture offers will definitely reshape your photographic horizons.

Page:  10 · 11

d4vid

Registered: Oct 20, 2004
Review Date: Oct 20, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $360.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp, cheap, lightweight, lens cap can be removed while the lens hood is mounted, excellent color and contrast reproduction
Cons:

I was reluctant intially to buy non-Canon lens, but after reading all positive reviews about this lens, I took the plunge, and I glad I did. This lens is razor sharp.. I mean really sharp, even at 2.8. Color reproduction is excellent, better than Canon, Tamron color is more natural. Pictures also have more contrast and saturation to it. The lens is also useful in low-light condition due to its constant aperture (f2.8).

I wish I've bought this lens when I first had my 10D. I've bought 50mm 1.8, 28-80 F2.8-4L, 17-40 4L, 70-200 4L before buying this Tamron lens. I could've saved $$$ by buying this lens in the first place. I've sold my 17-40 4L and 28-80 F2.8-4L. And I seldom use my 50mm 1.8 nowdays..

Tamron 28-75 F2.8 is mounted on my 10D about 90% of the time!!

Oct 20, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add d4vid to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Oct 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $480.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Cheap, light, small, quality optics.
Cons:
construction could be better

Ive only had this lens for a week now...but Ive already shot over 1000 images in varying light conditions. What can I say, I traded my Canon 28-80 F2.8-4L in for this lens and I am overjoyed that I did.
Nothing against canon, the lens was sharp and great contrast...and very well built....but TOO HEAVY. This lens is just as sharp and Sharper in some areas and its constant 2.8 gives me more flexibility. I have also owned a 28-70 f2.8L for some time and this lens is "almost" its equal in optical resolution. Highly recomended....for the money spent. The way i figure it, if it lasts me 2 years as aworking pro, and then i replace it, Im still ahead....because in 2 years I replace it with a new (potentially) better version and not much money has been spent or lost.

Oct 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List
bquinn

Registered: Sep 23, 2004
Review Date: Sep 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $360.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: This lens for the price is very pleasing. A good friend of mine that is a well respected professional told me about this lens after he used it next to his 24-70L and was finding it difficult to pic out the differences. If you can put your ego to the side and not worry about shooting something other than a Canon L series, you'll be happy.
Cons:
For the price, NONE.

It's hard to say something bad about this lens considering the price. If you compared to the 24-70 L lens you might find the auto focus to be a tad bit slower, but either way the lens still focuses faster than I can so I'm happy with it. I see alot of people putting it down but I truely think they can't come to grip with a 350-400$ lens being so very close to their 1,100$ lens. Put the ego aside and start shooting, you'll be surprised!

Sep 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bquinn to your Buddy List
phili1

Registered: Dec 12, 2003
Review Date: Sep 28, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $399.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, Easy to use, Fast,Good manual focus ring, best lens cap, close focus to with in 7 IN.
Cons:
So far I can't find any

I had received my Canon 20D and had problems with my current lenses and bad focusing. I thought it was the Camera because the Salesman at B & H told me so. I went to my local Camera store and he introduced me to the Tamron. I took a couple of pictures inside and outside and each one was better then the other. The print from a flyer in a store window from accross the street when magnified and was sharp.Any way when I got it home I did a test to see if it really was good.

The attched shots was to show how parameters worked on the Camera, you can see the nut residue on the container. Kind of hard to beat that sharpness. I am sold on Tamron.

When you get to the photo click next to see other parameters
Parameter 1 - 2 and set 1

Another shot with it's close focus ability. The two lines are water marks from breezebrowser.

Sep 28, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add phili1 to your Buddy List
eeprete

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Review Date: Sep 21, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $280.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: F2.8. Excellent range. Nice bokeh, incredible value for the price, lightweight, great walkaround lens
Cons:
Not super fast AF, colors aren't as vivid as an L, build quality

I owned this lens for about two months. I got an excellent deal on it on ebay. I gambled and got a sharp copy. Be careful as Tamron's warranty is not transferable and if you need your adjusted, it will cost.

All in all, I found the lens a pleasure to work with. Great pairing for my 17-40L. The build quality is average and since it's not metal, it's fairly light. Zoom creep is not a big deal with the zoom lock switch that is on it. the auto-focus isn't the fastest, but I don't know too many people shooting sports with this focal range.

I recently sold this lens on the B&S of this forum for the same price I paid, as I am moving up to L glass. However, part of me is regretting the sale as this truly is an astounding value for the price.

Sep 21, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add eeprete to your Buddy List
Locster

Registered: Mar 13, 2004
Review Date: Sep 2, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, small, light weight, respectable build quality, price to value ratio
Cons:
No full time manual focusing, focusing ring turns, slower to focus than a USM lens, flimsy hood

Find yourself a good copy of this jewel and you'll never regret it. I could've afforded the 24-70L but I chose this instead because of it's impressive performance for the price. It's just a tad bit to slow when I'm shooting at events but I've learned to work around that by pre-focusing.

Sep 2, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Locster to your Buddy List
DMSsix

Registered: Jul 1, 2004
Review Date: Sep 2, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $280.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Image quality: Images come out of camera sharp, smooth and clean. Bokeh is pleasing. Price: If you can find a second hand one on eBay like I did (and have it be in perfect condition) you're even further ahead of the more than fair market price. For $280, I was beyond pleased. Versatility: Having never used a decent mid range zoom I was not totally sure what to expect. This lens is pretty darn good for portraits, serves as a nice macro lens at 75mm, and also has performed well in different 'sports' type shots. I haven't really tried a landscape yet, but I'm anxious to. Build: No, its not metal...but it does feel solid. Your neck will thank you. The lens cap, now that I think about it, is very cool. The inner and outer grips are useful. Zoom lock is useful because it does creep without it.
Cons:
AF: It does seem to hunt a little, but its not that bad MF: I wish the ring rotated freely when in AF. I have accidentally turned it while in AF when going for the zoom and, well, thats just not a good thing to do. This is probably my biggest beef. Yeah, it does feel a little awkward when zoomed all the way out but again, its not that bad.

Buying and using this lens has definitely convinced me to investigate the other lenses in the Di series for my future needs as alternatives to L glass which I can't afford.

Sep 2, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DMSsix to your Buddy List
NorWester

Registered: Apr 18, 2004
Review Date: Aug 31, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $410.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great price, great image quality.
Cons:
I don't like the extending barrel.

This is, very simply, a great lens and an unbelievable bargain, even at the 'camera counter' price I paid. Nothing Canon makes touches this lens in terms of image quality vs. price. My next lens? The Tamron 17-35.

Aug 31, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add NorWester to your Buddy List
StevenPA

Registered: Jan 4, 2004
Location: Korea, South
Review Date: Aug 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, weight, cost, constant f/2.8, zoom lock. Also, nice wide manual focus ring, pleasing bokeh, sturdy feel.
Cons:
Focus ring turns during focus. Focus can be a bit noisy and slow. 28mm isn't wide enough on a 1.6x crop body; wish it was 24mm.

With all the good press this lens gets, anyone who is looking for a walkaround lens would do very well to cosider the Tamron 28-75. I'll be bold here and say that it is the best lens at its focal length and price point.

The lens is light and compact, and matches with my 300D very nicely. I find that I get good balance from the two even when the zoom is fully extended, which helps minimize camera shake to a certain degree.

The different parts of the lens feel very sturdy. The zoom ring is tight and not gritty. The focus ring is nice and wide with a similar tight but non-gritty feel. The barrel, when extended, doesn't wobble. Lastly, the rubber around the zoom and focus rings has a tough yet supple feel to it. Oh and kudos to Tamron for one of the greatest lens caps out there and the free hood!

About the only gripe I've developed concerning the physical characteristics of this lens is with the zoom range. 28mm just isn't wide enough on a 1.6x crop factor body and I find myself bumping up against the wide end of the lens too much for my liking. Even an extra 4mm at the wide end would be fantastic!

On my copy, the lens wide open at 28mm is good (acceptable, useable, up to my standards for wide open performance) and sharp, sharp, sharp at the 75mm end. I never hesitate to use the lens wide open from 35mm to 75mm if I want a shallow DOF or if low-light requires f/2.8. Stopped down to about f/5.6, the contrast and clarity of fine lines (like hair) gets even better. As others have noted, the images tend to be a bit warm from this lens, but that doesn't bother me very much at all. I shoot mostly in RAW and can adjust the WB if need be, which isn't that often.

About the only cons I can think of for the performance of this lens (and they aren't that big) concern achieving focus. The motor tends to be a bit noisy, but still it's much quieter than the rackety Canon 50mm f/1.8. Also, focus can be a bit slow. Minor compalints? Yeah, I think so. I've never missed a shot entirely because of focus issues like these.

On a personal note, overall I'm more than satisfied with the Tamron and seem to recommend it to friends and whomever is looking for something in this focal length. I was leary of buying 3rd party at first but have been won over by this lens. No feelings of buyer's remorse here at all.

Aug 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add StevenPA to your Buddy List
Lunatique

Registered: Jul 10, 2003

Pros: Light weight, Great image quality, simple to use, zoom lock, really nice front lens cap (why don't other manufacturers use the same design?).
Cons:
Nothing a thing. Well, if I had to nitpick, I'd say the lens cap for the backend is difficult to put on/take off, and is quite loose. (complete opposite of the front lens cap)

I love this lens. Before getting it, I had thought it'd be one of those lenses where I use it because it's got a "bread n' butter" focal range--but I ended really loving the image quality of it as well as its practicality. It's very light and the AF is fast. I use it on an 1D Mark II.

The lens does extend when zoomed, but it doesn't bother me at all. The zoom lock is a nice touch. The lens cap is really well designed--it's got a little press-clamp type thingie in the front of the cap--so you can take it off and put it on very easily even with the hood on. I don't know why other manufacturers don't do the same, espcially for lenses with really long hoods. The lens cap for the back however, is kinda stupid. It's loose, and hard to put on/take off. (you have to actually look at the marking to fit it on--if you just try to randomly screw it on, you'd have to do it over and over until the shapes match.)

I've played with the EF 24-70 L before in a store, and it's got nothing on this lens, and costs much much much more. (I guess if you absolutely must have the L lens's weather sealing, then maybe that would be the only difference.)

Aug 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lunatique to your Buddy List
phidong

Registered: Feb 19, 2004
Review Date: Aug 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $322.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: cost, wide open performance, sharpness
Cons:
flimsy hood

This is a great lens. For the price, it is an excellent performer. I chose it over the 24-70 because you can get > 3 < of these for the price of a 24-70mm f/2.8L!! The performance is on par with the L which is nice. I haven't had too much gripe with the focusing, which is faster than my 50mm f/1.8. Great lens. I use it about 75% of the time and have no intentions of replacing it with anything anytime soon.

edit: I realized the focusing ring moving during focusing bugs me as well. Its a small price to pay.

Aug 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add phidong to your Buddy List
Pixelated

Registered: Mar 17, 2004
Review Date: Jul 28, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $339.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, construction, sharpness, f2.8
Cons:

I"ve had this lens for a couple of months now and am very pleased with it. The build feels solid and the optics are tack sharp at f4.0 and above and very good at 2.8. Autofocus seems responsive and accurate on my 10D. I was considering the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L but the price and weight, and frequently reported problems with the hood, made me decide to go w/ the Tamron instead. I definitely made the right choice. I highly recommend it.

Jul 28, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Pixelated to your Buddy List
Arhi Esansaari

Registered: Dec 13, 2003
Review Date: Feb 18, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Price, sharpness, f/2.8, very good competitor for Canon in the qualitiy.
Cons:
Zoom lock, noisy AF motor, no full time manual focus, barrel extends, hood not large enough

Have had this lens for 3 months now, taken quite a few shots. AF is noisy, cannot take candid shots near distance, also the barrel extends quite a bit.

Hood isn't large enough for 1.6 crop cameras, and as marketed for digital, they could have added a secondary hood (they don't cost that much to manufacture). Noticed some flaring when took pictures of sunrise. Zoom lock is always forgotten in position "on" when shooting.

Overexposes a bit on my 10D, f/2.8 is a must have for indoor pictures w/o flash, tough after this, you want even faster lens. IMO indoor pictures needs at least f/1.8 and the only way to go for this are the primes.

Feb 18, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Arhi Esansaari to your Buddy List
simki

Registered: Jul 9, 2003
Review Date: Feb 2, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Light, compact, f2.8, overall image quality, cheap
Cons:
Extending barrel, average built, zoom ring turns the opposite way.....

Want a Canon 24-70L BUT dont like the price, the size or the weight? This is a great alternative. Not as good, but not that far off...... (Check the Lens Test Guide at http://www.photozone.de/bindex2.html ). Image quality is quite amazing for a lens of this price.

I really enjoy it. Only wish it was 24-75 and that the barrel would not extend.

Feb 2, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add simki to your Buddy List
clintsmith

Registered: Aug 10, 2003
Review Date: Dec 23, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $329.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Light, fast, affordable
Cons:
67mm filter, not as sharp as I would like at 2.8...but then again how many lenses are?

I really like this little lens. I use it on a 10D and have been very happy with the results. Especially when over 50mm.

Great walk-around lens, and workable portrait lens on the 10D. Nice boken at 75mm, tack sharp from f/4-f11 @ 75mm

slight vignetting at 28mm, overall performance is outstanding for the price of this little lens.

the build is no L series but it is not toyish either. Don't like the 67mm filter diameter. mainly because most of my glass is 72mm and I had to buy all new filters...

Dec 23, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add clintsmith to your Buddy List

Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di Zoom AF