76 306528 Sep 3, 2014
ef_28-70_28s_1_

EF 28-70mm f/2.8L USMHigh-performance standard zoom lens whose maximum f/2.8 aperture can be used at all focal lengths. It includes the normal 50mm focal length and a minimum focusing distance of 1.6 ft. (50cm). The large aspherical element helps obtain a high image quality comparable to single and focal length lenses.

Soulphoto2014

Registered: Sep 3, 2014
Review Date: Sep 3, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: $720.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp wide open + price
Cons:
28mm is a big difference with 24mm, zoomrange is really short

I rate this lens in the following order :

1. Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC
2. Canon 28-70 2.8L
3. Canon 24-70 2.8L II
4. Canon 24-70 2.8L I

I bought it secondhand from a professor (12y old), in perfect condition. Had great memory's about this lens (the highscore here is correct).

Some time ago I planned to re-buy it on Ebay (saw that a French seller sold it for 500), but I realised that there is a BIG difference between 24mm-28mm IF you are a zoom guy.

Just go for the Tamron, the only f2.8 with VC and almost as sharp as the ultra expensive 24-70L II (which even doesn't have IS).

Good buy and good optics, but the 24mm & VC of the Tamron neck this one.

Sep 3, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Soulphoto2014 to your Buddy List
StarNut

Registered: Aug 30, 2004
Review Date: Dec 28, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build; optics
Cons:
Bulk

I've had this fine lens for about 8 years, and it always pleases me when I use it. Because of its bulk, it isn't a comfortable "walking-around lens," but I have the 24-105 f/4L for that. This gets used mainly for landscapes, and does an excellent job. I have no doubt that the new 24-70 f/2.8L II is better in every way, but it costs several times as much. I think that (assuming you get a good one; be picky, since Canon does not support it any more) this is an excellent option for those whose budget doesn't allow the new 24-70, but want this range of zoom.

Dec 28, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add StarNut to your Buddy List
rjoudrey

Registered: Nov 23, 2013
Review Date: Nov 23, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $719.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very good price. Very sharp!
Cons:
A bit heavy.

Just picked one up for 719, Looks brand new. I am very happy with the lens so far. Very sharp, good contrast & color. Focuses as fast as any other L lens I have.

Nov 23, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rjoudrey to your Buddy List
fteter

Registered: Jan 24, 2008
Review Date: Jan 25, 2013 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Sharpness. Versatility. Rich colors.
Cons:
It's a bit heavy.

So, yes, I wrote a review on this lens back in 2008. Wanted to throw in a little update.

I've been shooting with this lens on a Canon 5Dc body for some time now and am loving the results. Been muttering about getting a new crop body for some time, so my beloved wife gave me a new T4i for Christmas. Thought seriously about purchasing a walkaround lens for the Rebel, then came up with the idea of trying the 28-70 on the T4i for still shots. Darned if it's not magic on the crop body as well.

So, 4 years later, my recommendation remains the same. If you can find one, buy it. You'll be amazed.

Jan 25, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fteter to your Buddy List
Nozzleforward

Registered: Jun 15, 2011
Review Date: Jun 2, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, solid, very clean shots, super fast focus, it's an L, works well as a defensive weapon.
Cons:
Price, weight (Obviously, it's an L)

There isn't much to reviewing this lens. It's one of the nicest I've ever shot. If you can afford the $800-$1100 for one, buy it. As with all the L-series lenses, you get fantastic performance and images. Solid build and high quality optics means more weight and cost, while the fast aperature and (very) useful zoom range mean it can cover a majority of your gear needs (meaning you can buy less stuff, saving you money). If you only want one lens for day to day use, buy one of these, you will not regret it.

Jun 2, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nozzleforward to your Buddy List
Robert Layne

Registered: May 30, 2005
Review Date: Mar 22, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, even at 2.8
Cons:

This was my first L. lens. Bought it here on the FM used in 2010. This lens is amazing. Very sharp wide open.
The seller had the lens sent to cannon repair to replace the focus motor. Note, this was a early model over 12 plus years old. total cost, 113.00 including shipping.Cannon only charged for the labor, LOL. so I got a rebuilt L for 670.00 bucks.
I shoot weddings and this lens has produced excellent images.

Mar 22, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Robert Layne to your Buddy List
tomaselli

Registered: Sep 10, 2005
Review Date: Mar 12, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp optics, build quality
Cons:

My first ever L lens bought in April 2000, have bought many more since and this always comes out the bag for what it produces Smile

Mar 12, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tomaselli to your Buddy List
mahonet

Registered: Nov 30, 2008
Review Date: Sep 23, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: very good colours, contrast and saturation. Minimal vignetting and distortion also at 28mm. Good bokeh and sharp.
Cons:
Not in production any more. In wide angle area the sharpness in borders not as good as with Canon L primes (vs 24mm f1.4 II), but matches well with all non L primes. No reason to complain!

Simply the best Canon L zoom. I have used 24-70L, 24-105L, but this is the best. I am happy I could still find a little used copy of this pearl among the zooms.

Sep 23, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mahonet to your Buddy List
canon3133

Registered: Apr 15, 2008
Review Date: Mar 22, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great walk around lens, very sharp, good zoom range on full body
Cons:
discontinued

Got this lens to replace my 40D/17-55 f2/8 IS combo after upgrading to full frame.

Mar 22, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add canon3133 to your Buddy List
fusionphoto

Registered: Apr 16, 2005
Review Date: Sep 29, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $980.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, reliability,quick focusing, color, bokeh all superior
Cons:
weight

I use this lens mainly on my 1Ds where its range is good. It sharp wide open but does improve if stopped down a touch. Color and bokeh are great and its a super general lens just a shame they don't build it anymore. I would certainlt recommend it for a FF camera where 28mm is truely WA..

Sep 29, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fusionphoto to your Buddy List
melchiorsen

Registered: Sep 12, 2010
Review Date: Sep 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great zoom range on a full-frame body. Nice colors and contrast. Fast lens. Low noise AF
Cons:
AF a bit slow compared to e.g. 135mm f/2.0. Old lens

On my 5D it has a great zoom range. The lens produces nice colors and a great contrast. The AF is not as accurate and fast as I'd like it to be. It takes a bit of time for the lens to really get objects in focus so I need to take some extra shots just to be sure I end up with the right focus. Otherwise the lens is highly recommended if you can find it cheap second hand.

Sep 28, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add melchiorsen to your Buddy List
dbehrens

Registered: Jan 12, 2002
Review Date: Aug 16, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: A pro lens. Fast and sharp! ...from corner to corner. No CA or flare.
Cons:

I've had two of these lens and both are very sharp - even wide open. Its every bit as sharp as my Canon 50mm f/2.5 compact macro (and with the same macro capability).

Although only 28mm wide this coupled with a wide zoom (for me a 15-30 Sigma) and a long zoom (for me a 100-400) makes an awesome 2 or 3 lens arsenal.

Aug 16, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dbehrens to your Buddy List
LPrimeFreak

Registered: Jul 29, 2010
Review Date: Jul 29, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The best standard zoomlens for fullframe, primesharp pictures at all mm's, f2.8, solid build, cheap 2nd hand
Cons:
Old (probably difficult to find replacement parts if needed) so take care ;)

I just bought the 5D MK II and I had not much choice for a great standardzoom, on my 40D it was easy, the 17-55 2.8 IS.

I tested the 24-105 F4L IS, but too much vignetting in the corners and only f4. Then I thought about the 24-70 f2.8 but this one isn't so perfect either (some copy' not sharp, expensive and heavy).

I didn't even know the 28-70 f2.8L existed untill I saw a second hand advertisement from a university teacher for only 600. First I doubted cause this lens was 12 years old (but as new, not so much used).

When I checked the review and saw the highscore on this site, I knew this would be the one.

Prime-sharp pictures on all mm's with nice soft f2.8 bokeh, a truly amazing lens that I would immediately buy again!

I have no problem with 4mm less wide-angle, it also doesn't have vignetting from 28mm, don't miss the IS either, that's more interesting for long telephoto lenses +200mm.

Forget that 24-105 & 24-70, think about the quality on all mm's instead of a bit less range and check the secondhand photography markets!!!

Jul 29, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LPrimeFreak to your Buddy List
dkmiles1

Registered: Nov 19, 2009
Review Date: Jul 24, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid Construction, Great rendering of color, Images come to life when paired with my 5Dc
Cons:
Its a risky investment because at a minimum they're 8 years old. Canon's gotta be getting low on parts inventory so repair could be a costly venture

I agonized over this one for awhile. Do I plunk down the $1350 or so for the 24-70 or do I take a chance on a used 28-70mm, which according to several reviews is just as good if not better than the 24-70 (see photozone.de - both samples tested better than the three 24-70s he's tested over there) and save $400 - $500?

I saw a mint one on eBay and took a chance. It's been blissful! I've used it in the gym for basketball games under crummy lighting and it just shines. I've used it for portraits and my subjects just LOVE the results. I've used it for group shots and panoramic photos (with photoshop CS5) - in nearly every application the results have been just stellar.

Build quality is excellent - though not weather sealed - the zoom works backwards, the wide end had the glass extended and the zoom has the lens contracted... If you have the big lens hood on no one will notice, just an oddity...

If you're willing to take a chance, you can save yourself some money and grab a good one of these on eBay or here on FM. You won't be disappointed, I'm glad I did!

Jul 24, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dkmiles1 to your Buddy List
James pf Chow

Registered: Jan 19, 2007
Review Date: Apr 30, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, 2.8L, AF speed, silent USM, top notch IQ, bokeh, 28/35/50 & 70 mm in one, colour saturation/contrast, and build quality
Cons:
Discontinued model (what ashamed!) and not water-sealed

Looking for this walk-around gems for a while to fill in the gap between my 17-40mm f4 and 200mm f/2.8LII as I do not want to spend so much to pay for the 24-70mm f/2.8. I always wanted a f2.8 for this focal range rather than f4 after getting obsessed with the IQ of my beloved 200mm f/2.8LII. Found this excellent copy recently but the price still held up quite well. I partner this lens with 5D.

Initially I was not overly excited with the first impression of the IQ. After getting used to the characteristics of this lens by getting the parameters right for each shot, the IQ just pops up. The sharpness, colour saturation & contrast, and bokeh of the IQ are just fantastic. In addition, I am really impressed with the unbelievable speed of AF and the quietness of the USM, it is just so wonderful to use.

Apart from that, the build quality of this lens is excellent especially considering this is a used copy with the zoom mechanism and the exterior of the lens barrel are still in top notch conditions, even though there are some noticeable used marks on the hood and a couple of marks on the thread of the lens for the hood.

I am not really bordered with the weight of the lens. In fact, I love the balance of this lens with the battery grip attached to the 5D; the balance with the grip of the whole unit is just marvelous.

Overall, this is a fantastic and highly recommended lens, and it is definitely a keeper to me.

My recommendation is, if you come across any good copy, grab one immediately as Canon do not make this model anymore. I believe that its IQ is as good as, if not better than, that of 24-70mm f/2.8, and note that it cost so much less.

Apr 30, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add James pf Chow to your Buddy List
photoelle

Registered: May 1, 2005
Review Date: Sep 20, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, sharp, sharp! Great colour & contrast, excellent build quality.
Cons:
A bit heavy, but so is most f2.8 glass.

I bought this used lens here on FM. I shoot primarily indoor, poorly lit horse shows. This lens makes every shot super consistent, and scary sharp. I can set it and forget it.

Its a perfect compliment to my 1DM3 for low light and action.

Highly recommended, I rate it a 10.

Sep 20, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add photoelle to your Buddy List

76 306528 Sep 3, 2014