Nikon TC-20E II 2x AF-S

7.5
tc-20E

2X Teleconverter designed for use with AF-S and AF-I Nikkor lenses*
Increases focal length by 100% - 2X
Reduces lens aperture by two f-stops
7 elements in 6 group lens construction assures highest picture quality
Full aperture metering with compatible cameras
Autofocusing possible** when used with D1, D1X, D1H, F5, F100, N80 and N65 AF SLR Cameras
Nikon Integrated Coating reduces flare and ghosting
* Recommended with the following AF-S Nikkor lenses: AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8D ED-IF, AF-S 300mm f/2.8D ED-IF (II), AF-S 300mm f/4D ED-IF, AF-S 400mm f/2.8D ED-IF (II), AF-S 500mm f/4D ED-IF (II) and AF-S 600mm f/4D ED-IF (II)
** Autofocus not possible with AF-S 500mm f/4D ED-IF (II) and AF-S 600mm f/4D ED-IF (II)

spentomuch

Registered: Oct 3, 2007
Review Date: Nov 4, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $289.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: cheap, a lot better IQ than I was hoping for
Cons:
for the price none

I got my from trenchmonkey and can tell you it is sharp on a 70-200VR wide open
On my d300/90 it gives me 600mm on my 70-200,it gets me in the game for cheap and lets me see what to aspect ( in this range ) with I move on up to a 200-400 or 400mm
It does focus slower on the D90, a litter faster on the D300 in not so good light, & I see no slowdown on my D700
Hope this helped
two thumbs up.

Nov 4, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add spentomuch to your Buddy List
trenchmonkey

Registered: Oct 21, 2004
Review Date: Mar 4, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Well built, very positive connection...read: no play. Cheap way to double FL with fast glass.
Cons:
One size doesn't fit all, plays well with some...not so with others in your stable. Ya gotta do yer homework. Great things can happen with the right combos.

Thang, you got a BAD copy. I've had several of all three...1.4/1.7/2.0
and there IS some
sample variation. I suggest too, some of the lower ratings may be due to operator error. I'm not gonna tell y'all it's a 10 BUT with proper lens selection and
good long lens technique, stopped down excellent results can be obtained
on the cheap.
I've gotten insanely sharp images with the 70-200 f2.8 VR, granted the keeper rate was
less than 25% on moving targets handheld, but it's a zoom. It's great on the 200 f2 VR
wide open, even up a notch at f5.6 AF hardly affected. Plays pretty well with the 300 f2.8 VR
too at f8 but not
as crisp as the 1.7 and I can live with that. I'm givin' it a solid 9 and have the shots
to back it up. The alternative is layin' out 8-10 grand and humpin' a 5 or 600 around.
I can handhold the 200/300 with this all day long. Works for me. Smile

Mar 4, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add trenchmonkey to your Buddy List
colincarter46

Registered: Jan 13, 2003
Review Date: Oct 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: image quality on the 500mm, price, build quality
Cons:
needs a really good quality lens

i bought this converter to work with my new Nikon 500mm VR lens and the results are fantastic with both my D300 and D3 bodies.

autofocus performance and accuracy are great with both bodies even though Nikon say that this tele wont autofocus.

Image quality was the big surprise after all the negative threads i have read. The 500Vr is a superb lens with very few equals and this converter works superbly with this lens.

Highly recommended.

Oct 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add colincarter46 to your Buddy List
Thang

Registered: Jan 25, 2004
Review Date: Apr 9, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $275.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: nothing
Cons:
not as sharp as Canon's equivalent

IQ is horrible comparing to Canon's equivalent. I used this TC with the 300 2.8 AFS and D2X. I then compared it against Canon 2X TC + 300 2.8L + 1D2. The difference is night and day. Nikon needs to completely overhaul and redesign this TC!

Save the money and get the 17E TC instead!

Apr 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Thang to your Buddy List
waterflyboy22

Registered: Jul 10, 2006
Review Date: Apr 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Nikon product. Good tool when used correctly.
Cons:
Not as sharp as the 1.4 (and the 1.7) but then again it can't be.

Many see the TC-17EII as the ideal compromise in tele-converters. I tend to agree, but for that additional reach, it is hard to beat the 2 when used correctly...

Apr 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add waterflyboy22 to your Buddy List
ustein

Registered: Dec 30, 2001
Review Date: Jun 6, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: good 2x tele converter
Cons:
not as sharp as the 1.4x (but that is probably physics)

This is a good 2x converter but not as good as a TC14-E. On the other side this is a photo from the D1 using an 80-200 AF-S lens and the TC20-E

One of our signature photos of 2000

Uwe

Jun 6, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Visit Homepage Add ustein to your Buddy List

Nikon TC-20E II 2x AF-S