Gitzo G1128 Mk2 Mountaineer Sport Carbon Fiber

6 38766 Nov 15, 2005
G1128G_1_

Maximum Height 55.1" (140 cm)
Max. Ht. W/O Column Ext 43.7" (111 cm)
Minimum Height 11.4" (29 cm)
Folded Length 17.3" (44 cm)
Load Capacity 9.90 lb (4.5 kg)
Leg Sections 4
Leg Lock Type Twist
Independent Leg Spread Yes
Center Column Sections 1
Center Column Type Geared
Center Brace No
Spiked Feet No
Head Mount Thread Size 1/4"-20 & 3/8"-16 (reversible stud)
Weight 3 lb (1.370 kg)

mauriceramirez

Registered: Jul 16, 2004
Review Date: Nov 15, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: folded size fits into 22" standard carry-on (with head)!
Cons:
fairly unstable considering the price (!)

With a 1-series camera, 70-200IS, and an Acratech head, I found this tripod to be almost not usable. I've learned an expensive lesson! The Acratech head is not strong enough to hold this weight steadily for long exposures. The camera+lens will yaw and pitch. And the overall weight will cause the legs to vibrate somewhat with any slight breeze. Most of my beach shots at night, with 10 min+ exposures, are soft.

However, with smaller lenses such as my 16-35 or 35L, the weight seems not to be converted into shake with breezes.

The reason that I went to this was mainly for travel size, and it packs straight into a carry-on rolling luggage with the head. Next time I'll just get the 1228, a BH-44, and pack it diagonally with the head removed. For the same price it's a far more stable setup. And if you're gonna bring a tripod at all you might as well do it right.

Nov 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mauriceramirez to your Buddy List
byobyo

Registered: Oct 20, 2004
Review Date: Jan 31, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, compact, and rigid.
Cons:
Slow to open, expensive

The photo above is of the G1128G which is shorter and heavier than tha G1128 due to its central column.

I have the G1128 with an Acratech head and use it primarily outdoors. I chose this combination because it was the lightest one and still very solid (I considered buying the RRS BH-55 Pro head, but it is significantly heavier than the Acratech).

For me, the G1128 is perfect - stable and safe. If you are very tall (or have a short ball head), it may be too short for you.

It takes time to open the G1128 and it is definitely not cheap. Still, I couldn't find a better one. If you a tripod for hiking, probably this is the best you can find.

Jan 31, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add byobyo to your Buddy List
coffeeshakes

Registered: Mar 12, 2003
Review Date: Dec 28, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $375.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, well built, 4 sections make it more compact. Doesn't catch on pack.
Cons:
Slow to open, expensive, less sturdy than a comparible sized 3 section would be.

Excellent tripod. Purchased for primarily backpacking, but is wonderfully solid for the weight. Much more sturdy than my old Gitzo 120 (3 section same size aluminum).

If light weight and compactness are your priorities this is the tripod to buy IMHO. I checked out the 01 carbon pods, and they were just too flimsy, the cost didn't make sense to me. The 1200 series are really nice and much more sturdy, along with being quite a bit larger so wouldn't work for me. If I didn't carry it so damn much I would have gotten the 1200.

Dec 28, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add coffeeshakes to your Buddy List
Jerry Hofmann

Registered: May 11, 2004
Review Date: Jun 19, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $575.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Really light for it's capacity, second to nobody in quality, and extremely rugged.
Cons:

I bought the 1228LVL version of this tripod and am extremely impressed.

It's incredible quality is easily seen, and you do get what you pay for in this area. I'll probably use this tripod for a very long time. It's light, compact, yet sturdy enough for a 4 lb lens in a hearbeat. Including the BH-1 Arca on it, it comes in at just over 5lbs, and I find this is light enough to hike with and still be stable enough for heavier lenses on my 35mm system. I'd opt for the LVL however, as the added ease of levelinig the tripod on uneven, (or even ground if you want to shorten the legs a bit) is really fast and easy to do with the LVL column. My pictures got immediately sharper with this tripod, which I suspect will last me the rest of my life. It's that good.

I'd recommend it to anyone who intends to hike with their camera gear, for travel or everyday use. I'm 5"9, and find that it's a perfect eye level with my viewfinder leaving the column collapsed all the way down, and simply extending the legs to the maximum with the B-1. If you are taller you might want the 1227, but the backpack fits this unit just right...(will even fit in a carry-on with the ball head removed), and it is rock solid, even with the skinny bottom leg sections.

My homework was extensive before I settled on this model, and I couldn't be happier. Pricey, probably, but you'll only buy a tripod once with this lifetime guranteed product.

Jun 19, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jerry Hofmann to your Buddy List
hammyoni

Registered: May 4, 2004
Review Date: Jun 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $420.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extreme lightweight, folds very compact.
Cons:
Twist locking love it or hate it, expensive.

Great tripod, extremely lightweight. I could not find any other lightweight tripod that could fold as compact as this...within reason of course. The build quality is excellent, aside from the plastic head mount plate. Using this with a Markins ball head which makes the ultimate combo in my opinion.

Holds a MKII with 70-200 2.8IS +1.4x TC no problem.

Considered the bogen carbon one series, but they are not much lighter than my 10 year old 3001 aluinum tripod yet cost 4 times as much, if not more. They do not fold as compact as the gitzo as well.

Ive gotten used to the gitzo twist legs...but I still prefer the bogen quick snaps...even if they snag and make for a bulkier folded tripod.

Jun 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hammyoni to your Buddy List
bobbytan

Registered: Feb 2, 2004
Review Date: Feb 14, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, compact, and rigid.
Cons:
None!

I have been using the G1128 (not the geared version) for about 2 years now, and love it dearly. I had a G1228 and Arca Swiss B1 before this, and that was good too, but it was overkill for my needs. The G1128 is significantly smaller and lighter - which is terrific for backpacking and travelling. I am using it with the Acratech Ultimate ballhead, and the combo weighs under 4lbs. I don't have anything longer than a Canon 70-200/4.0 with 1.4x extender on my 10D, but I am pretty sure you won't have any problems with the 70-200/2.8. I don't know about bigger/heavier rigs.

The only downside to this tripod (apart from price, but all Gitzo's are expensive!) is maybe the height. Being only 5' 9" this is not a problem for me - I need to bend down just a little. If I am too lazy to do that, I would not hesitate to extend the center column. This is okay, but you MUST hang your loaded camera on the center hook to give it more mass and stability.

I said that the height (without the center column extended) is perfect for me because I prefer the camera to be below my eye level - so I can see the topside of my camera. Also, I use a bubble spirit level which sits on my hot shoe, and I cannot check it if I cannot look down on my camera. So I really have no complains at all about the height.

The G1128 is the perfect tripod for me. I don't want anything taller or shorter, and I certainly don't want anything bigger and heavier. I would highly recommend it if you like to travel light and still have a very useable/stable tripod.

Feb 14, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bobbytan to your Buddy List

Gitzo G1128 Mk2 Mountaineer Sport Carbon Fiber