Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 Tripod Legs

47 95903 Apr 24, 2010
product_83

Maximum Height 73.0" (185.4 cm)
Maximum HT. w/o Column Extended 57.0" (144.8 cm)
Minimum Height 8.3" (21.1 cm)
Folded Length 29.5" (74.9 cm)
Load Capacity 11.00 lb (4.99 kg)
Leg Sections 3

Page:  1 · 2 · 3

fStopJojo

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Review Date: Jan 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $140.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid build, sturdy, excellent landscape and portraiture use, aesthetically pleasing (silver/aluminum polish), low-angle ability
Cons:
Some would say it's a bit heavy, leg locks take time to ease up

Basically in agreement with most of the other reviewers. It's simply a fantastic performance-to-cost value. If I were to consider another tripod for weight reasons, I'd look into the www.Feisol.com carbon fiber ones, but I'm quite pleased with this 3-legged beast.

Jan 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fStopJojo to your Buddy List
Jeff Reece

Registered: Aug 24, 2004
Review Date: Nov 26, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $147.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: strong, sturdy, clamps are fast and easy and the new ones that come with the legs wont pinch. You cant beat the quality to price ratio. center column can be vertical or horizontal and can be place in ultra low position or macro photography with the (PRO model) This thing will last me for the next 20 years.
Cons:
It's is a little heavy but for the price and sturdiness it just cant be beat. Also after being in the Army lugging the 3021BPRO on my back is not that bad. (trust me)

-3021BPRO-
This thing is a solid piece of steel compared to my last tripod.
I love this thing, it's as solid as they come.
You can independently set 4 different angles for the legs.
You can make it any height you want from just about flat to 73 inches. high not including the tripod head and camera.
Now it is a little heavy at 5.29 pounds but thats only a pound or maybe two compared to the carbon versions 3 times more expensive plus it's sturdier.
This thing will stand there like a rock when the wind blows you all over the place especially if you attach your camera bag or pack to it.
I have the Bogen Manfrotto 488RC2 Ball head. Very good combo very sturdy. Holds my Canon DSLR and 70-200F4 with out me having to worry about slippage or my camera and lens crashing to the ground.
Unless you really, really need an ultra light carbon fiber tripod and can pay 3 times as much you may want to take a serious look at the 3021Pro. It's just hard to go wrong with this thing.
I highly recommend the tripod.

Nov 26, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jeff Reece to your Buddy List
jbd1

Registered: Feb 27, 2004
Review Date: Nov 22, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid, sturdy, easy to operate, gets down very low or can shoot straight down (3021Pro).
Cons:
Heavy, long, not a compact tripod.

Great sturdy tripod for all but the largest and longest lenses. Paired with a 488RC2 for me, I don't think I could find a better arrangement for <$200.

A bit heavy and long for hiking/traveling though.

Nov 22, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jbd1 to your Buddy List
RDKirk

Registered: Apr 10, 2004
Review Date: Nov 16, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $35.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Solid Inexpensive Solid Repairable Sturdy Solid Inexpensive Repairable
Cons:
Heavy

It's a great, inexpensive tripod that does what a tripod is supposed to do--and does it forever. This is a one-time purchase, folks. Once you own a 3021, you can buy another tripod if you WANT to, but you can't ever claim that you NEED to.

It's heavy...hikers may gripe. But it's still going to do what tripods are supposed to do.

Nov 16, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RDKirk to your Buddy List
eeprete

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Review Date: Nov 1, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $146.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid build quality, excellent tripod. Great for studio work.
Cons:
Weight, length, not suitable for hiking or climbing.

While some may say the extra 2 pounds this may add to a CF tripod is not much, it's still 2 more pounds. If you are after a tripod to ease your hiking, or mountain climbing, this is not the one for you. However, if you only moderatly use a tripod, and will use it mainly for studio and location work, then this is a great set of legs.

I had bought one at the recommendation of a few people, and it was a great set for while I had it. However after going on several hikes over the course of the summer, I knew this tripod was not designed with hiking in mind. So, I've sold it and am now in search of a set of CF legs, that are more compact and a little lighter.

Nov 1, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add eeprete to your Buddy List
mjmetts

Registered: Dec 3, 2003
Review Date: Oct 4, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $135.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Affordable, solid, fast to set up, versatile.
Cons:
Weight, if it bothers you that much.

It does a great job being a tripod. Some say that weight is an issue but like someone else said. It's only a couple pounds which really don't bother me to much. Great price.

Oct 4, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mjmetts to your Buddy List
Wavepix

Registered: Apr 5, 2004
Review Date: May 8, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $135.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: durable easy to use, very versatile,
Cons:
weight

I like the recent improvement of being able to position the center post horizontally so I can do macro work. The positions you can shoot from are now almost limitless. It is a great tripod for the price.

May 8, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Wavepix to your Buddy List
krms

Registered: Feb 9, 2004
Review Date: Feb 21, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $167.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very solid and well built.
Cons:
As others have said, it would be even better if it was lighter, but at this price point and product quality it is one great tripod.

Using it with the 488RC2 ballhead - Fantastic setup and extremely sturdy. May get tiredsome if carried around for too long. Should get some leg protectors/padding though as those legs sure do get ice cold when carried around in chilly weather (heavy and cold = no fun)

Feb 21, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add krms to your Buddy List
Jim C.

Registered: Jan 2, 2002
Review Date: Feb 8, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding build quality.
Cons:
a pound lighter would be nice

I use this along with the 3265 grip head on my Canon 1D and it has worked out very nice. it's been very stable, even with a 70x200 IS lens.
I highly recommend it.

Feb 8, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jim C. to your Buddy List
eyelikeart

Registered: May 3, 2003
Review Date: Jan 6, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $185.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very versatile in positioning, and stable as anything I've ever used. This thing is sturdy as can be, even when lowered inches above the ground.
Cons:
Slightly heavier than I'd prefer.

I also have the 3021BPRO, combined with a 3265 grip head, and I'm extremely happy with it. It's super sturdy, which leaves me feeling very confident when shooting on inclines & really smooth surfaces. It is a little heavy to lug around for hours while out, but it's not enough to make me want something else.

Jan 6, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add eyelikeart to your Buddy List
kuyawil

Registered: Dec 9, 2003
Review Date: Dec 23, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $175.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solidly built, well-designed lever locks for legs, easy adjustment for the leg angles, quick to setup...
Cons:
Can be heavy for the long hikes, but for it's durability, I wouldn't trade it for anything else...

I bought this tripod only because my 11 year old Velbon broke. I know it was low-end tripod but that was all I could afford back then. Anyway, in shopping for a new rig, I originally had looked at the 3001 model but I still wanted something a little more. That's when I saw the 3021. After getting my hands on this tripod, I knew this was what I wanted. The height was just right and although it may seem heavy for some, it felt perfect for me. I also got the spiked feet and the 3030 head to go with it - a wonderful combination for a basic setup!

If you're looking for something durable that can handle a good amount of weight, then this is the tripod for you. You won't regret it!

Dec 23, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kuyawil to your Buddy List
mordachifu

Registered: Nov 4, 2003
Review Date: Nov 12, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $259.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Finely crafted, commercial grade tripod with the best of features. Precision made, versitile.
Cons:
It's a little heavy, and I'd limit myself to short hikes. I'm thinking I need to get a second, ball head for toting the thing to the woods.

I have the black, wilderness model of these legs, and they are one of the best purchases I've ever made. It's a stable, solid foundation for my heavier, digital/battery pack camera. Mine also has the foam wrappers which are great on those frosty mornings when you're trying to set up for sunrise...not as cold on the hands. I do a lot of uneven ground stuff, and the separate leg releases really help level. This has got to be one of the best, portable tripods around. At the local pro store, everyone walks around the lazy susan display and grabs the 3021 and says "This is the one I want!"

Nov 12, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mordachifu to your Buddy List
stevenD

Registered: Jan 29, 2003
Review Date: Nov 3, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $140.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very sturdy, versatile, easy to use Flip levers, light enough, awesome value
Cons:
it's not carbon fibre

NOTE: There are actually two reviews going on this same Leg, so the following is a copy of what I posted on the other one.

FACT: I actually bought the Black - Pro version (3021BPRO) which has the sideways mountable center support, this allows you to shoot very, very low.

WIEGHT: Yeah at 5.3lbs (without head) it is less than 2 lbs heavier than the Carbon Fiber equivalent (Model 441 @ 3.5lbs), so if you need to save an extra 2lbs, your wallet will be $250 lighter.

Anyone out there unable to carry an extra 2lbs? I mean, if I am already carrying my 10D with the BG-ED and a few "L" types lenses (70-200 IS, 24-70 and 17-35) is 2 more pounds going to change anything?

TIP: I matched this (Tripod) with a Kirk BH-3 head and it makes for a awesome combination. The Kirk Heads come with a Hex-Wrench to tighten the QR plate to your Camera (or Lens), on the Tripod is a plastic clip that holds the Lever lock tightening tool, there is an extra space on the clip that you can insert the Hex Wrench into, thus carrying both right on your Tripod.

PET PEAVE: Why does "everybody" insist on calling this a "BOGEN"? Bogen is the Distributor, the manufacturer is Manfroto, It would be just as correct to call a Gitzo Tripod a "Bogen" as they also Distribute Gitzo or even Metz (lights)

Nov 3, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add stevenD to your Buddy List
LI Imaging

Registered: Apr 13, 2003
Review Date: Oct 28, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $109.95 | Rating: 8

Pros: After nearly 15 years of use, my first Bogen 3021 with 3047 head is still operating beautifully. It has a tremendous height range. It's sturdy, and it's not too heavy for short hikes. The individual leg spread adjustments is a key feature, as is the reversing and split center column.
Cons:
A bit heavy for long hikes (the Bogen 3001 might be better for that) and the available strap is not well balanced. I recommend using a bag or the tripod holster in some photo backpacks. The finsih can chip and scratch if not careful, and the feet do wear over time.

Oct 28, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LI Imaging to your Buddy List
anderson

Registered: Dec 18, 2002
Review Date: Aug 9, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $147.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price is right. Very sturdy. Excellent quality. Quick snap-lock leg extension
Cons:
Not too light

I love this tripod. I've the "B" or black model. It is very sturdy and is handsome in appearance. I, particuarly, like the leg locks. The allow the 'pod to be quickly set up and taken down. I've not had an occassion to have to tighten them and I've been using it for over a year quite a bit. Not as light as the carbon fiber 'pods, it is very heavy duty and the price is right!!

Aug 9, 2003