Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

380 819572 Sep 24, 2013
ef70_200_4_1_

High-performance, L-series telephoto zoom lens combining light weight and compactness with an f/4 maximum aperture. Inner focusing and the ring USM enable quick and quiet autofocusing. Also, a circular polarizing filter can be attached and used without difficulty because the front lens element does not rotate during focusing. The tripod collar (sold separately) is the same one used with the EF 300mm f/4L USM.

EOS20

Registered: Mar 6, 2005
Review Date: Mar 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Smaller than F2.8 Versions, Sharp, Built to last.
Cons:
No Tripod collar.

What can I say, This has to be the best value Canon L Zoom!

Its nice and sharp, and contrasty, Built to take a beating, and is alot cheaper and smaller than the F2.8 Versions.

A excelent lens to own!

Mar 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add EOS20 to your Buddy List
makis

Registered: Mar 22, 2005
Location: Greece
Review Date: Mar 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: not very heavy, very low chromatic aberration, nearly constant (and very good) image quality from F4 to F11
Cons:
back-focuses in many cases (usually within the F4 DOF though, with 20D, all other lenses are correct), white (and eye-catching)

Mar 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add makis to your Buddy List
Thang

Registered: Jan 25, 2004
Review Date: Mar 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $425.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: light weight, sharp, L quality, Built, price
Cons:

Over the past 2 years, I have own at least 4 different copies of this lens. I just picked up my last copy this week from a local seller. Every time I used this lens, I am just amazed at the sharpness, clarity and the contrast of the images produded by the lens. This is a perfect lens to take along on a long hike or on travel. My travel combo consists of:

Canon 10-22 or Tamron 17-35 Di XR
Tamron 28-75 Di XR
Canon 70-200 F4L

I also used this lens along with the 28-75 Di extensively for studio work. It's a killer combo.

Mar 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Thang to your Buddy List
camerafan123

Registered: Feb 8, 2005
Review Date: Mar 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $575.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightweight. Image sharpeness and colors are superb. Inexpensive for the quality.
Cons:

This lens produces pictures with amazing detail and color rendition (I use it on a 10D). It still impresses my after 2 years of owning it!

Although it is quite long (especially with the hood attached), I like how incredibly lightweight and 'usable' it is. I'm not sure how to exactly describe it, but it always has a comfortable feel to it.

When I need a lens in this zoom range and aperature, this is my 'go-to' lens without question.

Mar 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add camerafan123 to your Buddy List
saaketham

Registered: May 17, 2004
Review Date: Mar 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $580.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, sharp, nice bokeh, very reasonably priced L lens
Cons:
Too long for a 70mm because the size remains unchanged even at 200mm, more prone to have focus problems on DSLRs than other lenses I've owned.

This lens is on my D60 all the time now. It's light enough and most importantly, sharp when it focuses right or when you get the focus and exposure right. It works well with the 1.4x Extender and this makes for a light and powerful 100-280mm f/5.6 L lens with not much drop in quality. Here are some samples:

<a href=http://www.pbase.com/saaketham/image/40041694>Friend</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href=http://www.pbase.com/saaketham/image/40508808/original>Car</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href=http://www.pbase.com/saaketham/image/40508822/original>Car</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href=http://www.pbase.com/saaketham/image/40461091/original>Bike</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<a <a href=http://www.pbase.com/saaketham/image/40461108/original>Bike</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

With and Without the 1.4x Extender
Image 1
<a href=http://www.pbase.com/saaketham/image/40631170/large>Without Extender</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href=http://www.pbase.com/saaketham/image/40631167/large>With Extender</a>

Image 2
<a href=http://www.pbase.com/saaketham/image/40631172/large>Without Extender</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href=http://www.pbase.com/saaketham/image/40631169/large<With Extender</a>

Mar 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add saaketham to your Buddy List
jbregar

Registered: Mar 17, 2004
Review Date: Mar 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros:
Cons:

Mar 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jbregar to your Buddy List
ArcftSpotter

Registered: Jan 7, 2005
Review Date: Mar 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $579.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp, Contrast and Color, Fast Focusing, Weight
Cons:
None, besides not having a tripod collar.

I had a 75-300 III USM on my 300D and I felt like it was time to upgrade. The 70-200 f/4L blew me away by its quality and fast focusing. About every shot is now sharp and can be used to post/print. Definetly recommend this lens.

Mar 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ArcftSpotter to your Buddy List
ugisio

Registered: Mar 7, 2003
Location: Latvia
Review Date: Mar 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, quality, weight
Cons:
No IS, but that`s normal in that price range

Before I had EF 75-300. Nightmare !!!
Now enjoying almost every shot with L quality !!!!

Mar 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ugisio to your Buddy List
lenyoso

Registered: Dec 8, 2004
Review Date: Mar 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $580.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: light, easy to use, sharp, and definitely fast enough
Cons:
No tripod mount ring

Everyone has already said everything there is to say. It kicks the bootey. I don't take many people or performance pics (none) and I used this lens at a 8th grade theater show with the 10D. I used 1600 and 3200. I had a great time shooting and the pics were more than acceptable. I impressed myself. Yes if I had the 2.8 and IS then I would have a greater success rate. Man for the price you cannot beat this lens.

Mar 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lenyoso to your Buddy List
DanSmedra

Registered: Nov 21, 2004
Review Date: Feb 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $570.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Nice complement to the Canon 20D. Lighter weight. Very sharp. A bit less contrast than the EF 28-70Lmm. Great price for an L quality lens.
Cons:
White color--which tends to make a statement a black lens might not. However, I've read the white keeps the lens from overheating--a problem with other manufacturer's telephoto lens.

I'm very pleased. I have large hands and the barrel length now gives great support and balance when used with the Canon 20D--much more comfortable than the EF 28-70Lmm.

My first copy from OneCall was defective. The zoom would only adjust out to 188mm. I sent it back, and the replacement works perfect. Images are near perfect right from the camera.

I did bite the bullet and switch to a RRS L camera bracket and clamp. The secret in great images in maintaining an adequate shutter speed when hand held, or using a tripod and assessories. Using the combination of a good tripod, remote switch, and mirror lockup, my landscapes shots are greatly improved--if not phenomenal. I now have to learn and deploy all the image processing tricks to further narrow the gap with Fred M's stunning pictures.

Feb 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add DanSmedra to your Buddy List
Kepola

Registered: Dec 2, 2004
Review Date: Feb 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Awesome lens, very sharp! Used it with the EF 1.4x extender and I am impressed with the outcome when taking baseball photos!
Cons:
I could use a bigger aperture; had to buy the tripod collar ring.

Highly recommend if you don't need a bigger aperture; works awesome in broad daylight! Beautiful colors, hardly needed post-processing. No distortion with EF 1.4x extender.

Feb 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kepola to your Buddy List
paulstean

Registered: Jan 7, 2005
Review Date: Feb 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $860.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good value, sharp, zoom, white, quality
Cons:
67mm Filters

I have this lens and a 50mm 1.8. I use these together for portraits. Not being able to afford several L primes for ultimate sharpness at 600-1000 pounds each, this lens is the perfect alternative. It's lightweight (compared to the 2.8), and I don't need any faster as most of my work is done using strobes.

It focuses well, even below normal ambient tungsten room light levels, and feels great to use, with all the switches and rotators having a high quality feel.

Bottom line is that everyone who sees the images at 100% zoom on the computer always says how amazed they are that a lens can capture so much detail.

If you're looking for your first decent lens, and this focal length suits your intended use, and you've got 400 pounds, buy this lens. It holds it's price very well, so if you outgrow it, you can always sell it for minimal loss.

Feb 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add paulstean to your Buddy List
Antti29

Registered: Jan 27, 2005
Review Date: Feb 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $780.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, picture quality, fast and silent autofocus.
Cons:
None that I can think of.

The EF 70-200mm f/4.0L is my first L lens, and certainly not the last. The picture quality it delivers is excellent throughout the aperture range (mind the smallest ones as I haven't really found much use for them).

The build quality is excellent as well. Internal zooming and focusing are both things that make the lens less prone to collecting dust inside. Speaking of focusing, the ring USM motor is both very quick and very silent. The optional focus limiter is a good idea and makes focusing even faster if you know you'll be shooting distant targets.

The weight of this lens is certainly not bothersome. Paired with my 300D it's quite easy to handhold for longer periods of time. The professional look it has has made some people mistake me for a professional photographer and I'm often asked which paper I'm shooting for.

If you look at the price tag, you might get mixed feelings. It is a bit pricey compared to the cheapest telephoto zooms. But on the other hand, there are even more expensive ones available, and I'm a living proof of a poor student who could afford a professional lens.

A sidenote to some of the other reviewers who complain about the f/4 being too slow: The f/2.8 version is out there, so why buy a f/4 if you find that a negative aspect?

Feb 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Antti29 to your Buddy List
Hrow

Registered: Oct 18, 2004
Review Date: Feb 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $579.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: VERY sharp, reasonably light, very well made
Cons:
Wish it weren't white and about an inch shorter so I didn't have to buy a new case.

This is simply a great lens and its virtues are clearly indicated in many of the other reviews. That said, I am going to focus my comments for those who might be considering the 70-300 DO instead of this lens. In a word... don't.

There is absolutely no comparisome between the two with the 70-200 winning by a mile. Yes, it is that much better. I bought and returned a 75-300 DO because it simply wasn't sharp and both the colors and the contrast were flat. I really wanted to like the lens but it just didn't cut it.
After that experience, I was a bit gun shy because I didn't really see how a lens that costs half as much could be better and boy am I sorry I waited. The 70-200 is razor sharp and produces brilliant colors. When I got the first images on the screen I just smiled.

For potential DO purchasers... save yourself $600 bucks and put up with the slightly larger lens. I know the lure of small size and IS is attractive but it is not worth the severe loss of image quality. If you use some of the balance for a 1.4X tele you will be near the 300mm of the 70-300 DO with plenty left to get a decent tripod. If you do, you will be smiling too. This lens is that good.

Feb 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Hrow to your Buddy List
Tom-Tom

Registered: Dec 26, 2004
Review Date: Jan 31, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, fast and quiet focus, image quality, size, weight, price for a L lens.
Cons:
None for the lens itself. But the tripod collar should be in the box in this price range.

I use this lens on my 300D/Digital Rebel.
It delivers wondeful pictures. They're very very sharp.
The build quality is awesome. You could use it to replace a hammer.

Working with it is a pleasure, the zooming and focusing rings are excellent, manual focusing with it is a real pleasure.
If fits perfectly in my Mini Trekker. The weight isn't a problem at all.

At about 800 Euros, it isn't cheap, but you got what you've paid for, and it's woth its price.

Yes, I got the L fever !

Thomas.

Jan 31, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Tom-Tom to your Buddy List
pauljm

Registered: Jan 3, 2005
Review Date: Jan 23, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 3

Pros: all the other reviews on this forum....
Cons:
Totally unacceptable backfocus ? issues with quality control

I bought this lens last week after reading this forum of reviews. This is my 6th Canon lens, and I have been using the EOS forum now for 16 years. This is the only time that I have been disappointed by a Canon lens. I kept the lens for only 24 hours and returned it to the store.

The lens was clearly faulty. There was significant backfocus, and even when focused manually it was very soft at F 4 or 5.6. I could not get rid of it fast enough.

The reviews on this site are almost universally favourable, but at other sites there are numerous references to this problem (see below).

I am sure that a perfect copy of the lens represents excellent value, and there seem to be many satisfied customers.

Jan 23, 2005