Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

380 817346 Sep 24, 2013
ef70_200_4_1_

High-performance, L-series telephoto zoom lens combining light weight and compactness with an f/4 maximum aperture. Inner focusing and the ring USM enable quick and quiet autofocusing. Also, a circular polarizing filter can be attached and used without difficulty because the front lens element does not rotate during focusing. The tripod collar (sold separately) is the same one used with the EF 300mm f/4L USM.

Ribeiro

Registered: Nov 18, 2005
Location: Portugal
Review Date: Nov 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great "L" quality optics and built... Light weight... good zoom rage on a "non full-frame" Dig.SLR.
Cons:
Color... not Black :o(

What can I say that hasnīt allready been said?... well not mutch!!
I was devided between this lens and the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM and am realy gglad I went with this one!!!
Ok so the 70-300 has IS and a longer zoom range... big deal! IS is allways nice to have but the extra 100mm don't bother me at all with the image quality I get out of the L lens I can crop down without loss of quality and compensate this diference easely!
The 70-300 built quality is nower near the L lens, same as the optic quality (despite some creatics one the net saying that their same or that the 70-300 is better... it is all BS, at least with the ones I tested!).
As for the f/2.8 models (Sigma and Canon) image quality are the same but if your not shooting in low light conditions go for the f/4... it is mutch lighter to walk arround with and less expensive!
I truly recomend this lens to any Pro or advanced amateur!

Nov 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ribeiro to your Buddy List
hallbert

Registered: Dec 11, 2002
Review Date: Nov 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: BEST L LENS FOR THE PRICE!!!! This lens rivals the 2.8 and is much lighter. Great carry around lens.
Cons:

I bougth this lens for my wife to use and I find myself using it more than she does. It is very sharp and fast. It is much lighter than the 2.8 version and seems every bit as sharp. I highly recommend this to anyone entering the "L" market.

Nov 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hallbert to your Buddy List
incdigital

Registered: Aug 2, 2005
Review Date: Nov 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $545.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: What a value! Sharpness is excellent even wide open, Nice weight compared to the heavier 2.8 and IS versions, USM is quick, silky smooth zoom and focus.
Cons:

Definatly the best L value in the lineup. I use the non-IS 2.8L version also ...but only if i need the extra stop to get the job done. Overall this lens can't be beat for the price.

Nov 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add incdigital to your Buddy List
bvassmer

Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Review Date: Nov 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $474.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast focus, smaller size, sharp!!!, great L for the GREAT price.
Cons:
none really...

Nov 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bvassmer to your Buddy List
MashuriBC

Registered: Sep 15, 2005
Review Date: Nov 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, sharp, sharp! Great contrast and bokeh, fast USM focus, relatively small size yet still built like a tank.
Cons:
No IS, F4

Worked beautifully out of the box on my 20D. As said before, this is an absolute bargain L lens that delivers in every aspect. If this had IS it would be perfect!

Nov 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MashuriBC to your Buddy List
Vole

Registered: May 22, 2005
Review Date: Nov 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: A brilliant Lens which worked flawlessly on my EOS 300d.
Cons:
Back-focused on FOUR different 20d's.

This Lens is everything everyone is saying about it. Unfortunately, in my experience, this Lens just doesn't perform reliably enough on a 20d. This forced me to upgrade to the f/2.8L version which works perfect with the 20d.

So, I would highly recommend this Lens unless you're using a 20d, where I would be inclined to give the Lens a damn good testing before committing to a purchase.

I'm giving this Lens an '8' but it was a definite 'perfect 10' when used on my 300d.

Brilliant value when it doesn't back-focus.

Nov 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Vole to your Buddy List
jiveorama

Registered: Sep 12, 2005
Review Date: Nov 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $575.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: super sharp, light weight, great value...
Cons:
it's white...

I just got it a couple of weeks ago, but this lens is just awesome. f/4 is slow and have already encountered some
limitations, but not enough to reconsider going for the Sigma 2.8 (weight) or the Canon 2.8 (price and weight) just yet.

Nov 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jiveorama to your Buddy List
frankie138

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Review Date: Nov 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: "L" Quality, sharp, lightweight, solid build
Cons:
You'll be using it at F/4 most of the time, perhaps the 2.8 better?

I sold this so i can buy a 2.8L IS. I found myself using F/4 most of the time and still coming short. If you don't need the extra stop this lens is perfect. It is light, very sharp has "L" build quality and has that nice white colour wich I personally love. It's the best you can get for this money. One problem with this lens is you'll never go back to non "L" lenses.

Nov 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add frankie138 to your Buddy List
tt81156

Registered: Feb 15, 2005
Review Date: Nov 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $580.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great value - the bargain lens in the L series range, superb lens, always very pleased with the results.
Cons:
For the price - NONE, if you want f/2.8 then pay twice as much

This is a great lens, it was the first Canon L lens I purchased and I have absolutely no regrets. This lens focuses well in low light, has good bokeh, is great for portraits and always produces beautiful results. For some examples of what this lens is capable of please review these galleries, the majority where shot with this lens:

Nov 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tt81156 to your Buddy List
Drioannis

Registered: Nov 22, 2004
Location: Greece
Review Date: Oct 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Focus speed,sharp at even f4,lightweight,build quality
Cons:
Limited by f4(IS with extra 200$ would have been perfect)

Very good lens with great contrast and colors.Sharp even wide open.The weight is good and the build quality is excellent.Focus speed is WHOOO fast in good light.

Oct 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Drioannis to your Buddy List
randlej

Registered: Oct 10, 2005
Review Date: Oct 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Quality and sharpness you can count on. Great focus speed.
Cons:

I just spent the last month going through numerous lenses for my 20D. I'm a serious amateur (if there is such a thing) and I was trying to get one lens that would do it all- 18-200 and 24-200 as well as some 28-200's. The thought was I'd invest in the higher end lenses later. Well, I went through Sigma's, Tamrons, and even the highly rated Tokina 24-200 (which after 200 shots and tests against the kit lens showed it barely better) as well as some of the less expensive Canon lenses. I finally had enough and forked out the $ for the low end of the L series.

Wow- it blows away anything else I tried. I will say that I am using the Tamron 28-70 2.8 for the mid range zoom and am very happy with it too.

Oct 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add randlej to your Buddy List
Janika

Registered: Oct 17, 2005

Pros: Fast & quiet focusing, Sharp, Lightweight, Smaller size, Nice bag.
Cons:
Weird lens hood, No tripod mount included.

Got this lens back in March, 05 and have been using it ever since. This is one lens I will keep as long as I can. The image quality is up there with the most expensive primes. The lens focuses lightning fast and if it's mounted on a fast focusing camera like the Rebel-XT or 20D, it will amaze you. Resulting images need very little tweaking in PS as the photos created by this lens are sharp and show accurate colors with no distortion of fringing. Also this lens is the best value money can buy when quality is a concern. The only thing I wish canon shipped with this lens is the tripod mount which is not included with the purchase. The tripod mount is sold separately however.

Go for it!

Oct 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Janika to your Buddy List
dwolfbearer

Registered: Oct 4, 2004
Review Date: Oct 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast focus, constant f/4, size, build, price
Cons:
sharpness, slow (f/4), hood, included pouch

Great lens in this range for this price. I simply do not find this range as useful for a 1.6 crop camera, as it is too long or slow for many sport and too short for most wildlife. My copy was not tack sharp in all cases, but I did make some wonderfuly sharp captures with the lens. If it had IS and was only $200 more and no bigger or was a bit sharper or longer, I would keep it in a heartbeat.

Canon really needs to make a 100-300 f/4 (with or without IS) with the quality and about the same price as this lens. It would be a big seller.

Traded up to a 200 2.8 and the sharpness, speed and size won me over to primes.

Oct 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dwolfbearer to your Buddy List
Al_10D

Registered: Dec 7, 2004
Review Date: Oct 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $475.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The best zoom I ever used!
Cons:
I wish it had IS.

Oct 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Al_10D to your Buddy List
nick3d

Registered: Jun 23, 2005
Review Date: Oct 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: One of the sharpest zooms ever! Superb color & Contrast, smooth bokeh for a F/4 lens, awesome resolving power, ultra fast AF and smooth handling, great build quality, the value king of "L".
Cons:
Erm... Give me IS for the same price Canon :)

Don't take my words -- try it and see it yourself, I'm sure you will save your last cent for it.

Oct 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nick3d to your Buddy List
DonSnyder

Registered: Jun 16, 2005
Review Date: Oct 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $575.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great quality... don't settle for anything less in the 70-200 + range..
Cons:
none.. of any consequense

Oct 4, 2005