178 410486 Jun 1, 2015
ef70_200_28_1_

One of the finest telephoto zoom lenses in the EF line, comparable to a single focal length lens. It has four UD-glass elements to correct chromatic aberrations. Its constant f/2.8 maximum aperture and superb image quality make it one of the most popular professional SLR lenses in the world. Compatible with Extender EF 1.4x II and 2x II.

dwill23

Registered: May 8, 2006
Review Date: May 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Build, f/2.8, zoom, sharpness, contrast
Cons:
AF speed... no really, read on.

I shoot NCAA field sports, (football soccer fieldhockey etc) professionaly and all my friend use this lens for short range work. I've owned two of the non IS versions in the past but didn't like the AF (auto focus) speed in tracking mode, (on a 10d, then on a 20d when i bought my 2nd one).

My 1st non IS version was old, and when it got cold out, the AF slowed way down. I was told it was because the grease was drying up, and gets slower when colder. That kinda made sense so i sold it, and held off a bit before buying a new one. My 2nd didn't slow down in terms for AF when it got cold out, but i was missing a lot of the sharpness from what i got out of my very cheap 75-300mm F4-5.6 III USM ($170). With the cheap lens I could see all the holes in the players jearseys, with either of the non-is versions, i had far less "keepers", and the holes in the jearseys were almost NEVER as sharp.

Sure the quality of a still shot from the 70-200 non IS was miles ahead of the cheap lens. I loved everything about it, except tracking AF speed. Even "one shot" AF seemed really fast, but not tracking.

Ahhh... but then the IS version came out. It claimed to have an updated AF CPU in the lens, which improved tracking speed, (canon knew about this problem?). I waited a few years before picking one up before last football season. Result? DISAPPOINTMENT! I saw no AF tracking performance increase!! Sad

Before you start telling me im crazy and that the 70-200 is the fastest AF lens of all time, let me ask you if you've used a 300mm f/2.8 or even the f/4.0 version. If you haven't, then you aren't experienced enough to pass judgement.

A fixed 300mm either the F/4 L IS USM or F/2.8 L IS USM version will blow it's doors off in terms of AF speed. The AF on the 70-200 is a joke! Nearly impossable to use for sports unless on a 1d body.

At first i have my 300mm f/2.8 on my 1d mark II body, and the 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM on the 30d. After my 1st game, i had to switch it, and put use the 1d as my short range camera mated with the 70-200. Why? Cause you can turn on the very center 5 AF points out of 45, which give you 5times the focus power with the 1d series cameras. Also, those 5 points are being used as a cross type AF sensor instead of just single line detection on a 30d.

My 30d is plenty able to focus my 300mm lighting fast. I thought maybe since i'm closer with my 300mm that the camera can focus better, but even on my 1d body i wasn't that happy with it's performance. I tried not zooming while shooting, and that didn't help either.

This is my 3rd 70-200, (1st IS version), and it's still not on par auto-focus wise with any prime telephoto.

Also it should be stated that this is NOT meant for a primary sports lens. I've read some review on this site for either the IS version or non IS version, where people say, "it can handle almost any sports event". HAHAHAHA umm not if you're a pro.

I must say however... I've shot 2 weddings so far with this lens, and it is awesome. New photojournalism type work, it is awesome. I truely believe there is nothing better. But 75% of my work is sports, so i do regret this lens just a tad. If the AF was as fast as my telephoto prime, it would get a 10 score.

If you are going to use this once in a while for sports, make sure you get a canon or sigma 1.4x converter. Make sure you don't get 5 player in your shot, get 1 or 2 max. (which is almost never possable at 200mm).

I'm sure most people think the AF is ultra fast, and it is fast, but it's not world-class like sports telephoto lenses out there. There really is faster, and if you are looking for a sports lens, this shouldn't be on your list as a primary.

The bad news is, you need to buy at least a 300mm F/4 which is a lens you'll only use for sports, whereas the 70-200 you'll use all the time. It's the lenses that are only made for 1 thing that get you the killer shots, and it's clear to see the 70-200 can be used for several different things, and it's farily well suited for a slew of tasks, but has the hardest time with sports, (altho that is the hardest thing for a lens to shoot anyway).

I really like this lens... i love this lens for everything except sports, and for sports is 'ok', not 'bad', so i might not sell it. altho i would like to try the 200mm f2.8 II USM prime.

cheers!

May 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dwill23 to your Buddy List
Collins

Registered: Feb 25, 2005
Review Date: May 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Absolutely stunning contrast and color. Legendary bokeh mentioned in reviews is as good as advertised. Wonderfully sharp.
Cons:
I don't own it yet, weight.

I have a confession. Prior to using this lens I could never really fathom the prices of Canon's L lenses. I had been getting buy with solid primes and a boost in saturation and color balance with photoshop.

Now I know why they are priced they way they are.

I was able to use the lens for an extended period last month at a few jobs (a sometime employer lent it to me for use) and I am simply stunned! For the first time, nailing the exposure was all the work I had to do. The sharpness, contrast, color, bokeh all combined for absolutely wonderful images. I had to do absolutely no work to my images once they made it into Bridge. Couldn't believe the difference.

It really shines for portraits and at F/2.8 it pulls your subject off the background at the longer focal lengths.

Needless to say I will be ordering one with due speed.

May 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Collins to your Buddy List
ovarzoli

Registered: Jan 7, 2006
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Apr 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast AF, Build quality,
Cons:
Heavy

This is the best objektive I have ever used. A bit expensive but the all objektive is a great miracle.
Very good build quality, excellent image quality, and very confortable using with 1D series.

Apr 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ovarzoli to your Buddy List
sohet

Registered: Feb 22, 2006
Review Date: Apr 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Way cheaper than IS version in my case. Very sharp wide open with a lot of contrast. Fast focussing and slightly lighter than the IS one. I save almost US$620 compared to if I had the IS.
Cons:
No-IS. Cannot shoot below 1/focal length in shutter speed. Heavier than the f4 version.

Very fast focussing. As sharp as the 135 f2L if I do not pixel-peep.Very versatile range. However, I would certainly need to bring along my monopod whenever I use this lens. It's heavy and can be prone to shake after a prolonged shoot, when my arms get tired. It's value for money as I save about US$620 compared to getting the IS one.

Apr 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sohet to your Buddy List
Mike Mahoney

Registered: Mar 8, 2004
Review Date: Mar 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, quick AF, solid build, smooth controls.
Cons:
none really, but if forced to say something I would mention the color (would prefer black)

a magic lens as others have said .. very sharp wide open with a tank like build.

great value, and a bread & butter PJ or sports lens.
cheers,
Mike

Mar 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mike Mahoney to your Buddy List
EvilZardoz

Registered: Mar 16, 2005
Review Date: Mar 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Big, white, a conversation starter. Definitely a pro lens. Sharp wide open. Lightning fast AF. Maximum aperture is plenty fast for low light work or for action, build quality.
Cons:
Heavy, non-discrete, hard to hand-hold for lengths of time, cost.

This lens is big and heavy. I consider this a plus when using it on the 1Ds Mark II - but a con when using it on a 300D or 350D - it feels like the lens mount will be ripped off. It's not easy to hand-held and as such, I prefer the IS version which I have had a higher keeper rate.

Wide open, this thing should be tack sharp. Vignetting is very apparent on a full frame camera when wide open but minimal on a 1.6x crop. AF is lightning fast and is well suited to AI SERVO tracking.

Build quality is faultless. Zoom ring feels a bit weird if you're used to smaller lenses. This lens isn't weather sealed unlike the IS version, though. I've dropped one of these a few years ago and it survived without a scratch, although the lens hood (which I use all the time) took a lot of the impact. Bokeh is wonderful. Contrast is all there. Colours are great. If you can't afford the IS, then this lens is the one for you.

Mar 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add EvilZardoz to your Buddy List
eric_krumm

Registered: Aug 9, 2005
Review Date: Mar 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,140.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very well balanced, well placed rings, instant and precise focus.
Cons:

I've only used the lens on a couple shoots so far but it has worked perfectly! The weight is perfectly distributed and it is totally balanced on my 5D w/ grip. Anyone crying about the weight needs to pay attention to what this lens is made of and get over it!

Since I might have to shoot in low light I did get a monopod just in case. The extra $500 didn't make sense for IS when I know it would rarely be needed and especially with the noticable softness that seems to come with it (extra elements).

This is my first L glass and I am really happy with it so far, highly recommended.

Mar 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add eric_krumm to your Buddy List
TheAmateur

Registered: Sep 16, 2004
Review Date: Mar 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

Mar 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TheAmateur to your Buddy List
Wirelezzz

Registered: Feb 23, 2006
Review Date: Mar 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp Excellent Color Super Fast !

Mar 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Wirelezzz to your Buddy List
Aberdeen Photo

Registered: Mar 9, 2006
Review Date: Mar 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent performer, quick autofocus and solid image quality.
Cons:
Hood quality, can I get it sealed; it is an L lens?

Very solid performer and good price perfomance ratio make this my favorite zoom telephoto. Better image quality tham IS version, 2 less elements in this version. It also gives very good results with 1.4 tele. I really enjoy using this lens and while my 200 2.8 gives ever so slightly better results, it cannot become a 70 with the flip of the wrist. Just wish it were sealed and would love a more solid hood. Overall a champ.

Mar 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Aberdeen Photo to your Buddy List
Andrei T

Registered: Jan 19, 2006
Review Date: Mar 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP – right out of the camera! Outstanding build quality! Lightning fast AF. F/2.8!
Cons:
NOT dust/moisture sealed? Cannon – Hello!!???

Yes – all I thought this lens would be is actually true. I won’t go over the things said here in the reviews again – I am simply agreeing that the lens is outstanding!

My only nugget is lack of dust/moisture protection. Canon? This obviously can’t be a reason to give this excellent piece of glass a ‘9’. I love it.

Mar 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Andrei T to your Buddy List
seanmclennan

Registered: Feb 16, 2006
Review Date: Feb 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast AF, Sharp, Completely silent, did I mention fast AF?
Cons:
Hate the hood. No dust sealing. I guess I could call it heavy...but that's nitpicking.

My first L lens. It rocks. It is sooooo fast at focusing it's incredible.

I am boggled to why Canon does not have a dust seal on this $1600 lens! The 17-40 has one and it's almost half the price.

I have shot 3 soccer tournaments, 3 hockey tournaments, and everything else from ballet to superbike races. This lens is a professional lens that works to perfection.

I don't know what else to say. If you shoot fast sports...and/or your income depends on your shots...you need a professional lens that performs. This is it. Period.

I do hate the hood though. Took 6 months to *wear* it in so it would mount easily. Before that it was a 5 minute struggle to get it on everytime.

It is heavy. Relatively speaking of course...what do you want for a tack sharp 70-200 constant 2.8 in a metal body?

Feb 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add seanmclennan to your Buddy List
Rick Denham

Registered: Nov 24, 2005
Review Date: Feb 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything, it's fast, tack sharp and handles like a dream. I love white lense's
Cons:
notta, nuttin, zero zilch

i love this lens, i hate taking it off my camera.

Feb 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rick Denham to your Buddy List
Memphis

Registered: Mar 15, 2004
Review Date: Feb 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Stunning, sharp corner to corner on my 5D. Built like a tank and the focus is nice and fast.
Cons:
None as of yet

When I was looking at this lens I had to ask myself, is IS worth the extra cost? After some thought my answer was no, I've been shooting all of this time without IS and my images have been just fine.

This lens is stunning and I'm glad I went with it. So far all of my images have been tac sharp corner to corner on my 5D. If I ever get into a spot where I need IS I use the tri-pod that I carry with me, I would rather use a longer exposure with a smaller f-stop than IS wide open.

Feb 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Memphis to your Buddy List
allanyue

Registered: Jan 29, 2006
Review Date: Jan 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Crisp pictures, solid build, Super fast AF.
Cons:
A bit heavy.

Great overall lens, crisp pictures, great color, i could go on and on but everyone has said it all. I would recommend this non-IS version rather than the IS version. IMHO IS is over-rated. Save yourself $800 (cdn) and get a mono-pod, better yet learn how to hold your camera.

Cheers!

Jan 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add allanyue to your Buddy List
Cookies

Registered: Feb 5, 2005
Review Date: Jan 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,125.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp, built like a tank, very fast USM focusing.
Cons:

This is an amazing lens, wow! My copy is equally sharp through the range, f/2.8 up to f/11. It is my sharpest lens. Beating out my 24-70 L. AF is ultra fast with the USM. Color redition is excellent as well. Images taken with this lens just have that certain "pop" to them. Once you see that look, you'll be hooked.

The build quality is awesome. As one review said, this lens is everything they say it is. The price is high but you get your $$$$ worth.

Jan 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Cookies to your Buddy List

178 410486 Jun 1, 2015