179 405113 Sep 30, 2013
ef70_200_28_1_

One of the finest telephoto zoom lenses in the EF line, comparable to a single focal length lens. It has four UD-glass elements to correct chromatic aberrations. Its constant f/2.8 maximum aperture and superb image quality make it one of the most popular professional SLR lenses in the world. Compatible with Extender EF 1.4x II and 2x II.

parintele

Registered: Feb 9, 2005
Location: Romania
Review Date: Feb 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Built like a tank, sharpness, contrast and colours are just great
Cons:
none...

i had f4 version of the 70-200...great lens, incredible colours, sharpness, contast... for 600 usd just great.

i shoot model and canine shows, sport, all in natural or poor light... at sunset for model, indoor for sport or dog shows, low light is there...

so i took a 2.8 non IS for price reasons... well, i consider every dollar worth for this piece of glass...

the motor is fast and reliable, the colors and contrast are incredible, is sharp at 2.8 all range, except maybe a little at 200 but minor, at f4 and above is INCREDIBLE...

the built and confidence it offers when u hold it is just ANOTHER CLASS compared to f4....

what can be said more than i do not regret even a single cent i spent on it. u pay more compared to f4 but u get more in terms of construction and reliability for difficult lightning conditions...

cons: well, there are not really...i consider if a need something i pay the price and that is is...i do not afford that means i do not really need it, my work is not important enough so payed good enough , so...

still, some may complain about the weight for example..yes, is heavy...compared to f4 is seriously heavyer... BUT as i said, that is because construction is much more solid, more glass that need to be greatly hold in palce and protected....
some may say the price is high...as i said we all would love to pay half the price for everything...i consider i have reasons to complain only when i fo not get for what i payed...in this care, no complain from me...for me, it worth every penny.

finally, the only thing i regret i do not have is the IS...i miss it sometimes....usually i ned 1/200-1/500 or lower as i use it for action photo... but sometimes i ue it for model as i said in natural low light, that great sunset warm incredible light....IS would really be great...
but there is a 70-200 with IS...much more expensive is true... this is the only regret i have, that i do not have a IS version cheaper and keepng the great quality of this one...i tried few IS verson copies and i didn't find the sharpness of this one...

bottom line, rate this lens 10 considering the built and image quality...really nothing to complain about...i love it so much it stayed on my 20D 90 % of the time....with battery grip and hand strap is ok...is true i am involved in bodybuilding and i am 188 tall and 115 kilos :D
i shoot 4-5 hours dog shows, 6-700 pictures, moving from one ring to another...i do not consider it heavy but offering stability...kind of IS Wink

on my new 5D is better as i can use it in more situations and i can use a 1.4 TC for longer reach comparable to 20D reach...

GREAT LENS, one of the best out there...

Feb 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add parintele to your Buddy List
Simon Pope

Registered: Feb 1, 2007
Review Date: Feb 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharper than I thought possible for a zoom lens, Excellent value
Cons:
None as yet but it is early days

I could not make up my mind whether to go for the IS version or this one, in the end deciding on the cheaper! The IS version may be better but ths one is superb...the colour and contrast is truly breathtaking.

I have used it on a couple of shoots when I have needed the extra reach and have been really pleased with the results when processing the RAW files.

Thank God for Ebay!

Feb 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Simon Pope to your Buddy List
John Abbey

Registered: Jan 6, 2007
Review Date: Jan 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp even wide open at 2.8. The lens is built very well and feels like it will last forever. Good range
Cons:
Price, but you get what you pay for. It would be nice if it had weather sealing.

I have used a few L lenses and this is my favorite so far. My copy is sharp at 2.8 and is outstanding at f/4. The color it produces is also very pleasing. At 70mm it is more sharp wide open than my 24-70 L lens and has better color and contrast. The lens is kind of heavy but made extremely well. The lens is also sharper than my Canon EF 100-400mm L. I am very happy with this fantastic lens.

I have some examples on my website:

Most of the pictures on this page were taken with the 70-200.

Jan 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add John Abbey to your Buddy List
jfk03

Registered: Mar 20, 2006
Review Date: Dec 31, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,175.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 2.8 aperture, top notch optics, fast focus, build, price (IMO very reasonable for what you are getting)
Cons:
Heavy, but that's to be expected considering the speed & optics

I have drooled over this lens for several years. Bought one a few days ago and have not been disappointed. It is excellent for sports and fast-moving action. It is also very good for landscapes, events, weddings, you name it. Top quality and incredibly versatile. I do not feel guilty about the money I spent.

Dec 31, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jfk03 to your Buddy List
ollram

Registered: Oct 20, 2004
Location: Estonia
Review Date: Dec 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: deadly sharp, Canon,
Cons:
heavy (for long use)

a great lense for mid range reach
worth every dollar you spent on it

Dec 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ollram to your Buddy List
J Winkleman

Registered: Dec 25, 2006
Review Date: Dec 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: It is remarkably sharp and the the AF is very fast.
Cons:
It's white. Can draw unwanted attention to your gear. The mounting ring cannot be removed with the lens connected to the camera body.

Have had this lens for about 3 weeks now. Have over 500 shots, mostly at sporting events. I think I will never take this lens off of my camera body. It is remarkably sharp and the the AF is very fast. I opted for this lens over the F4 because most venue lighting is poor. The F/2.8 also provides that hard to get bokeh. I have steady hands and about 75% of my shots are done on a monopod so I never opted for the IS lens. I paid $1,100 with the instant rebates and mail in rebates. Overall I give this lens a 9.8.

Dec 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add J Winkleman to your Buddy List
deriscal

Registered: Dec 5, 2005
Location: Poland
Review Date: Dec 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Incradable sharpness,fantastic colours,very bright,super fast and silent.
Cons:

I was lucky to buy this lens as used in Japan, so it was not that expensive.However after using it for a while I would buy it again, even new.Its worth it!!!
Of course it is heavy but when you do not have to take pictures straight for a longer while, leting your hand to rest from time to time its not that heavy. You will survive,plus I guarantee that you won`t feel any pain after seeing Your pictures taken with this spectacular lens!

Dec 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add deriscal to your Buddy List
Zamboni Dan

Registered: Apr 7, 2006
Review Date: Nov 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,139.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast AF, excellent in most conditions, works great with 1.4x
Cons:

I began shooting sports with a Canon 75-300 4-5.6 ... finally acquired this lens from B&H in May and it's hard to put down (I have not used the 75-300 since)...realized what I'd been missing. It's like going from your old TV to HD

I've never used a tripod or monopod with this lens; it can feel a bit heavy with the 1.4x attached but doesn't bother me.

Focuses very fast and is extremely sharp at f/2.8

I personally have not noticed any quality or sharpness loss with the 1.4x attached

I'm very happy with the non-IS version. The IS was considerably more expensive; I shot minor league baseball in a badly-lit stadium all summer and still got nice results without IS

Really glad I got the 2.8 -- it becomes roughly a 300mm f/4 with the extender -- pretty nice versatility for most situations. It comes highly rated for a reason.

Nov 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Zamboni Dan to your Buddy List
tsaraleksi

Registered: Sep 15, 2005
Review Date: Nov 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp even wide open, fast focus, useful range, f/2.8, tank-like build
Cons:
my copy rattles a little bit on my 20D, but it hasn't affected anything. It's heavy but not like some reviews would make you think. I don't use a tripod/monopod with it.

I use this lens for indoor and outdoor sports, performances, speakers, portraiture, some landscape, pretty much everything that doesn't call for super lowlight (the 2.8 is excellent but somtimes you just have to have faster), and anything that doens't require a wider approach. This is an excellent thing to thave in my kit, though I don't know that I'd recommend it as an only lens. The only real problem I have is that 200 isn't often long enough for sports, but I'd much rather use this lens and crop than a 70-300 at 5.6, and I'm still saving my coins for a 300/2.8. I really really like this lens.

Nov 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tsaraleksi to your Buddy List
Christopher-J

Registered: Jun 9, 2006
Review Date: Nov 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: S-U-P-E-R S-H-A-R-P!!! Great build!!! Fantastic Quality!!!
Cons:
It is white. Yeah I know get over it, but I would pay an extra $100 for a black finnish! Weight if you have small hands/arms it could be a problem.

This is simply one of the best lenses I have ever owned in my life and it will be hard to top it!

Coming from the 70-200mm f4L version to this one I was already used to not needing Image Stabilization (IS) so the transition from the two lenses was simple. The only difference between the two was the f4 could focus just a wee bit closer then this f2.8 lens.

I bought it used from a great guy who kept it in mint condition and it was a wonderful bargain for me. In Canada this lens can cost as much as $1700 CAD which is just too much but even at that, if there was no USA to buy from cheap it would be worth it as it is such a useful lens.

My only quarrel with this lens is that it is white, not a big deal as I own a few white lenses but I am a big fan of black lenses. Seeing though that I am not a Paparazzi trying to sneak up on celeberties it is not that big of a deal, but like my car, I like black.

So do yourself a favour if you are considering this lens. Buy it. Only buy the IS version if you have small hands, are weak or jittery because it really doesn't need it as far as I am concerned. The weight is heavy but it should be for a lens of this calibure. I don't have any problems with it but I am the size of a Pro Athlete like a football player or wrestler.

Do I recommend? YES!!! Best $1000+ you can spend on photo gear. IMO.

Nov 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Christopher-J to your Buddy List
Henko Gardebro

Registered: Nov 15, 2006
Review Date: Nov 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This is the best lens I ever saw. Superfast in focusing. This is a ideal lens for sport and portrait photography.
Cons:
Heavy, always a tripod needed.

Nov 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Henko Gardebro to your Buddy List
guillaumebegin

Registered: Nov 12, 2006
Review Date: Nov 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Constrution impecable, Qualité Optique à couper le souffle, Rapide (f2.8), autofocus silencieux et rapide (merci USM)
Cons:
Cher (sur le coup, mais on se rend vite compte qu'on obtient ce qu'on paie pour), Voyant (les gens se tasse losuqu'ils voient arriver), Requiers un trépied dans les conditions plus ou moins lumineuses

J'ai dabord voulu me procurer un Sigma APO 70-200mm f2.8 HSM EX. Cependant j'ai trouvé le Canon en vente sur Vistek.ca et après plusieurs calcul, l'objectif ne me coutait pas plus que 50$ de plsu que le Sigma. J'ai donc acheté le Canon.

La constrution "L" bat définitivement la construction EX de Sigma. Les bague de zoom du Canon sont "smooth" mais ne "spin" pas comme le Sigma.

Sinon quoi dire de plus, f2.8 est vraiment pratique lorsque la lumière se fait plus rare ou pour obtenir de magnifiques flous d'arrière-plan

Un bijou pour le portrait...il va s'en dire
Un bijou pour le sport....il va s'e ndire aussi !!!

Un no brainer...je le recommande

Nov 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add guillaumebegin to your Buddy List
davmc2000

Registered: Nov 27, 2005
Review Date: Nov 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: What's not to like?...fast 2.8 glass...sharp even with the 1.4x extender...great bokeh...
Cons:

Just bought this lens after using the 300L f/4 for about a year. This lens is sharp and fast even with the 1.4x extender. The bokeh is incredible.

Nov 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add davmc2000 to your Buddy List
Ross T.

Registered: Dec 14, 2005
Review Date: Oct 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Just a Fantastic Lens...Super Sharp...BEAUTIFUL Bokeh....Perfect Portrait Lens....I've had mine for 10 yrs...GREAT Lens!!!
Cons:

My Best Portrait Lens...Super Sharp...Gorgeous Bokeh....Very Quick Autofocus....Have had mine for 10 yrs....An Amazing Lens!!! :^)

Oct 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ross T. to your Buddy List
Pollux

Registered: Jan 22, 2006
Review Date: Aug 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness - USM
Cons:
Quite heavy

I use this lens with the Canon EOS 5D mainly for music shows.
And the sharpness of this zoom is quite amazing even wide open and at 200mm.

I'm always stunned when I see my pictures on my computer or on prints..

Aug 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Pollux to your Buddy List
Spearin

Registered: Nov 27, 2005
Review Date: Aug 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, great contrast - all expected elements with L glass. Combines VERY well with the 1.4x II extender. Very nice focal range.
Cons:
Nil. Most peoples' negative comments are completely subjective such as price and weight. Those are not issues with me, as the price is suited for what you get.

100 reviews. The one-hundredth is also positive.

Not much can be said about this lens that hasn't already. For me, weight is not an issue. Combined with a 20D and grip, it seems to be well balanced. Weight is completely subjective. I happen to have been working construction for the summer in order to afford this lens... plus I'm in the Army reserves, so I guess I can say that I'm built enough to handle it.
(example: http://www.sportsshooter.com/funpix_view.html?id=5598 )

For some people though, weight can be an issue - but don't take it as a reason to NOT buy this lens. You won't be able to find a lighter alternative to what this lens can do.

I opted not to get the IS version for two reasons. First, cost - I'm a university student. Second, the necessity for IS to me seemed low. I am a student photojournalist, and much of my work is geared towards sports. However, there are definitely situations where IS can be needed. BUT, just two nights ago I shot a dimly lit concert at the campus pub... I managed to get sharp shots at 200mm with a shutter speed of 1/40 - example:

With your own personal development of handling technique, you can get by without IS. It depends on what you will be shooting.

Since I do shoot a lot of university sports, I also purchased the Canon 1.4x II extender. As mentioned in the previous review, this brings it to greater length at the loss of only one stop. It's great for shooting field sports (such as football, soccer, rugby, etc) as you can have a versatile zoom and still maintain sharp image quality. I haven't experienced the 2x extender, but haven't heard too many positives. The 1.4x would be fine for most subjects.

I am very happy with this lens. It truly does as expected. To some people, it may seem expensive, but if you are going to be making money from your images... it is a worthy investment. If you have the extra money to spend, you should get the IS version, however with the right technique you can get by without. I plan on getting the IS version down the road when I can afford to... but will definitely get by with this for now!

Aug 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Spearin to your Buddy List

179 405113 Sep 30, 2013