179 403738 Sep 30, 2013
ef70_200_28_1_

One of the finest telephoto zoom lenses in the EF line, comparable to a single focal length lens. It has four UD-glass elements to correct chromatic aberrations. Its constant f/2.8 maximum aperture and superb image quality make it one of the most popular professional SLR lenses in the world. Compatible with Extender EF 1.4x II and 2x II.

3ABX03

Registered: Dec 26, 2004
Review Date: Jul 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp at 2.8. Very fast AF.
Cons:

This is wonderful lens. Will recommend in a hart bit.

Jul 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 3ABX03 to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Jul 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Canons FLAGSHIP lens,...what more can I say
Cons:

I have owned the 2.8 version several years ago, sold it and got the 2.8 IS, sold it (too heavy), got the F4L, sold it and came back to the original 2.8 again...seems to be the sharpest of the lot, and works best with the 1.4xII and 2xII converters.

Jul 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List
amcomis

Registered: Jun 16, 2005
Review Date: Jun 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $875.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp wide open, hand holdable, comes with case/hood, excellent, sexy build, versatile. Blazing focus and silent too
Cons:
a tad expensive. a tad heavy.

Literally the sharpest I have used (which I guess isn't saying much). But it is tack sharp wide open!!! DOF play is fun too with the 2.8

Some people recommend the ol 80-200 saying its still fast - I dont know how thats possible. THis is like a ferrari focusing.

Upgraded from 75-300IS and its like night and day!!!

THis thing gave me L fever. What a promiscious lens!

Jun 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add amcomis to your Buddy List
M-E-P

Registered: Jun 6, 2005
Review Date: Jun 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, sharp, great image quality & Bokeh. Also great for building arm stregnth. =)
Cons:

I love this Lens! I just upgraded this from the 70-200 f4, because the f4 wasn't cutting it in the low light of night baseball games. (I shoot a lot of kids sports)

I just took a walk in the wildlife reserve on my lunch hour and am so stoked about this lens. I'll be selling the 70-200 f4 on ebay shortly.

If you are doing action photos and don't need the IS. Save yourself the extra $700. and pick this up! The 70-200 f4L
is great also under bright conditions. If you plan on shooting in bright conditions you can save yourself another $600. and get the f4. (or look for mine on ebay in the next week or so)

Jun 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add M-E-P to your Buddy List
Ben Horne

Registered: Jan 9, 2002
Review Date: May 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent Range for sports, portraits. Sharp wide open, and the IS is great.
Cons:
It would be nice if Canon copied Nikon's QR tripod mount that was used on their 70-200mm 2.8 VR.

This is an excellent all around lens for sports and portrait photography. It's a real workhorse. This lens will work great with the 1.4x, but I would not recommend the 2x converter. I wish the paint was a bit tougher and would avoid chips, but you can't expect it not to chip when banged against cement or metal. Ooops. :-)

May 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Visit Homepage Add Ben Horne to your Buddy List
jetsfan799

Registered: Apr 5, 2005
Review Date: May 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $980.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: AWSOME!!!! super sharp, razor shape and lighting fast AF. Build like a tank
Cons:
price.... but you totally get what you paid for it.

most people say the problem with this lens is the wieght. what no body realizes is the tri-pod collar is removable!! you will be suprized, that thing weighs a ton! at lest a pound. when you remove it, the lens is not only more manuverable but also cuts the wieght by like a third.

May 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jetsfan799 to your Buddy List
PghKidd

Registered: Jul 2, 2004
Review Date: May 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: focusing speed to die for amazing bokeh quality contruction good color and contrast very sharp focus
Cons:
pictures so good you will want all your lens to be this quality...

I have had this lens for 2 years now, and I have to say, "I have found the Holy Grail of Canon Lens!"

I bought this as a beater lens, sent it to Strauss Photo in DC so they could do their magic, (dusting, cleaning and repair to filter ring), and $450 later, I have the most amazing photographic tool I have owned. I didn't truely understand what bokeh was until this lens!

I heard people talk up the quality of the IS version of this len, but I have to tell you, I can't see how that lens is any better than this version.

In reading reviews on FM and other places by users, this is the one lens no one complains about for having a bad copy. Canon, what ever you have done to make this lens, you should have the same quality control for all your "L" glass.

My only complaint is, this lens gave me "L" fever. All the sudden, I am trying to justify the purchase of my 24-70mm. For that matter, wondering why my non "L" lens would ever come out of the bag....and I'm just an average, amateur photographer.

My advise to anyone looking in this range of zoom, wait on FM buy and sell for one of these bad boys to come up for sale. Don't waste your time with other lenses that are cheaper up front. It will cost you more money, because eventually, you will want this lens!

May 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PghKidd to your Buddy List
schaloux

Registered: Mar 28, 2005
Review Date: May 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, sharp, USM
Cons:

Went from the f4 version of this lens to the 2.8 and im glad i did. Its bigger and heavier but its sharper wide open, where it really counts for me. I shoot mostly sports at night and indoor so this lens is just perfect range for that. It's the best hockey lens period. The size and color of this lens command instant respect. Most people are intimidate by this lens. I got in major sporting events without press pass just by holding my camera with this lens attached. I recommend this lens to anyone that dont need IS. The f4 is still a great lens but if you can afford it, go with the 2.8, you cant regret it!

May 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add schaloux to your Buddy List
canon20Dphoto

Registered: Apr 22, 2005
Review Date: May 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Read all the other reviews, they are all right.
Cons:
Dido

You know what they say about pictures and how they're worth a thousand words. Well here's the proof this thing lives up to the legend. Read all the other reviews and get an idea, then look at the pictures and get the proof. Canon L lenses are the sharpest there are avalible. Everything in the 70-200 2.8 folder on the webite is with a 20D (as if my member name didn't give that away) and hand held! Imagine how sharp they would be if I bothered with a trypod. Enjoy.

May 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add canon20Dphoto to your Buddy List
Fetor

Registered: Mar 21, 2005
Review Date: Mar 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Flippin fast auto focus (works great when on ai servo even in low light), Sharp photos, White, comes with lens hood, smooth zoom ring and focusing ring. Focus ring doesnt sound like you are tearing up the motor on the inside if you have it on AF and forget you are on AF.
Cons:
Price mostly. Tripod collar can bang your knuckles up a bit if you have big hands, but when on AF it becomes a nice brace for the palm of your hand. 1.5m minimum focal distance.

Ive had this lens for about 4 days now and Im loving it. I ordered a 20 D package and the store i ordered from sent me the sigma 70-200 2.8, but I sent it back because I didnt want it, im glad I paid a little more for the canon lens, not only is it an "L" series lens, but it also catches the attention of photographers that are just starting out, or are on a budget. I enjoy giving them tips and talking cameras with them. The lens has lighting fast auto focus and is perfect for sports where the subject is always moving. This is the best lens. Peroid.

Mar 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Fetor to your Buddy List
leewoolery

Registered: Feb 27, 2005
Review Date: Mar 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: This lens is razor sharp...even at 2.8...and the focusing is deadly accurate on a 1DMarkII...super lens for basketball and rodeos when used with strobes and Pocket Wizards.
Cons:
...none but I wish it wasn't finished in white...tends to attract too much attention.

I shoot mostly youth and high school sports, rodeos, horse shows and cutting horse competitions and had so much trouble with back-focusing on Nikon D2H's and D-70's this past year that I thought purchasing a 70-200 VR would solve the problems. When you do event photography, out-of-focus and back-focused shots kill your sales and make you look unprofessional since there is no time to edit.

Two weekends ago I shot a basketball tournament with the D2H, a brand-new 70-200 VR AFS, Alien Bees and Pocket Wizards and after deleting 1/3 of the images because of focus issues, decided there was something wrong and a brand change was coming in the near future.

The Nikon AFS zoom lens didn't improve the focusing problems so I switched to Canon the last week of February. I lost a few thousand dollars when I sold and traded in all my less-than-a-year-old Nikon stuff but I had to make the change.

The next weekend I shot the basketball tournament with the
Canon 70-200 and a Mark II, strobes and Pocket Wizards and the results were stunning...and my staff and clients could tell the difference.

The Canon 70-200 USM is much sharper and focuses faster and more accurately on a Mark II than the Nikon 70-200 AFS VR on the D2H. There really is no comparison when viewing images on the computer and the prints are really unbelievable with this combination.

My only regret is that I didn't make the switch sooner.

The Canon zoom is perfectly balanced on the Mark II and really not that bulky as opposed to the Nikon 70-200/D2H
combination which really seemed front-heavy and awkward.

I have numerous bull-riding and barrel racing events to cover for the rest of the year, many horse shows, a youth soccer league and a ton of baseball this summer, football in the fall and gymnastics and I'm looking forward to shooting much of this action with the 70-200 USM on the Mark II.

I am working with a design company on offering on-location printing of posters and other graphics this year during sporting events and horse shows. The versatility, sharpness and focusing accuracy of this zoom combined with the incredible image quality and performance of the Mark II
has completely changed the direction of my business.

Mar 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add leewoolery to your Buddy List
Persian-Rice

Registered: Jun 29, 2004
Review Date: Feb 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $880.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Well............Sharpness, FTM, contrast, lens speed, AF speed, build. everyhting
Cons:
Big n' Heavy, but I personally don't consider that bad.

If, you have been reading other reviews, by now you should know this is on of Canon's best lenses period.

Sharpness is awsome, colours and contrast are awsome. AF speed makes my 1D MKII instant focus, and it even makes my 10D really fast. I like how I can use it indoors unlike the F/4L.

But here is my one warning. Even for a guy who benches 320 lbs and can arm-curl a 150lb EZbar, my wrist(zooming/holding hand) becomes pretty sore after using it handheld constatly for three hours at sporting events.

If you can get a deal like I did, it becomes even sweeter. Enjoy it.

Feb 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Persian-Rice to your Buddy List
LukeH

Registered: Jan 11, 2005
Review Date: Jan 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Love the finish and construction of this lens. Sharp and Colourful pictures at most apertures.
Cons:
Slightly less sharp at f2.8 (still pretty good), but really good from f4 onwards.

I use this lens mostly for photographing birds and wildlife, its a good focal range for the "close" part of this type of photography, but even on a 20D (1.6x crop), 200mm is not long enough for most bird photography (getting 400mm prime).

I've found this lens great, definitely slightly softer wide open (clearly noticeable when shooting grid and test charts, and just about noticeable from photographs) but it's better than I ever thought a 70-200mm zoom would be. Image does degrade noticeably with the 2x converter (much less so if used at f10 or higher in good light).

I'm looking forward to using a 400mm prime lens (400mm f5.6L) and I'll post a comparison of the two soon.

Jan 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LukeH to your Buddy List
neliw

Registered: May 28, 2004
Review Date: Dec 15, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: f/2.8, sharp, fast (USM), well built - it's L
Cons:
None? Okay, perhaps weight and price

Amazing in many ways. The sharpest of the 70-200 Canon EF lenses. It doesn't have IS but makes up for it by being slightly sharper.

I've got used to the weight so working with this lens is just pure joy. Works well with many types of photography even tho it might be tricky to use freely indoors with the 1.5 meter near-limit in mind. Produces wonderful images with great sharpness, color and contrast.

Dec 15, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add neliw to your Buddy List
tinglilin

Registered: Oct 19, 2004
Review Date: Nov 6, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: beautiful color, amazing bokeh, fast focusing, f/2.8

Excellent lens!!

Nov 6, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tinglilin to your Buddy List
clonardo

Registered: Jan 19, 2004
Review Date: Oct 31, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,020.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, contrast, build quality
Cons:
Honestly, I can't complain. This is everything a 70-200/2.8 should be.

This is my second copy of this lens. I bought my first used, and the focus linkage eventually self-destructed. I got the second copy for $1020 after the Canon triple rebates.

It's the perfect short tele for sports. I didn't need IS, so why pay for it? It's sharp, contrasty, and works well with teleconvertors. It's also good for shooting lectures, concerts, anything with a stage.

There are no optical or ergonomic complaints that I have, after shooting thousands of shots on my copies. Everyone should have one, it's that good.

Oct 31, 2004