Sigma 300mm f2.8 EX APO HSM

22 198930 Nov 13, 2010
300f2_8EX_lg_1_

Sigma APO 300mm f2.8 EX is one of the EX Series lenses. It is an ultra compact Apochromatic telephoto lens with a fast F2.8 maximum aperture, and incorporates two Extraordinary Low Dispersion glass elements (Abbe number 90.3), to reduce chromatic aberration to a minimum. It incorporates internal focusing which enables responsive and fast auto focus speed. The AF drive for Sigma SA, Canon and Nikon S.L.R. cameras feature Sigma's ultra-quiet Hyper Sonic Motor (H.S.M.). Sigma's dedicated APO EX Tele Converter 1.4x and 2x lenses work easily with this lens without sacrificing the AF speed of the Sigma APO 300mm F2.8 EX. A detachable tripod socket and rotatable drop in filter holder are provided. The lens materials used in this new lens are lead and arsenic free ecological glass.

Page:  1 · 2

papa85

Registered: Jun 2, 2004
Review Date: Jun 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Made well, Nice & impressive looking. Photo quality up there with Nikon and Canon. New w/warrentee and I grabed it for $1300.00
Cons:
Won't auto focus w/Kenko 2x extender.

I have all Nikon Lens this is my first non Nikon Lens. Very impressed with the quality. Needed a fast 300 and at this price I could not let it go. I won the bidding on Ebay 1300.00 brand new w/all extras and warrentee. The filter system is a wonderful plus. I use the Lens on my Wimberly Sidekick and my RRS Ballhead, Gitzo 1325 with a 2x extender and get very exceptable photos.

Jun 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add papa85 to your Buddy List
Buxheimer

Registered: Mar 17, 2005
Review Date: Mar 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent quality, good sharpness, works good with the Canon 2x ExtenderII
Cons:
Missing the IS from the Canons

This Sigma was the only way to let my dream come true, to own a 2,8/300, because the Canon is too expensive for me.

I am really impressed by the good quality of the images. Compared with the images taken with the Canon 2,8/70-200 L IS the Sigma shots seem to be a bit warmer.

AF speed is quite ok.

The lens works fine with my Canon 2x Extender II, so I can highly recommend it.

Mar 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Buxheimer to your Buddy List
cdatcs

Registered: Jan 28, 2004
Review Date: Jun 18, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Excellent glass; from what I can tell, the glass on this lens is just as good as the canon 300mm 2.8.
Cons:
Motor drive noisy and construction flimsy.

I used this lens for shooting professional golf tournaments and the image quality was excellent. The problem with this lens is that there are only 3 or 4 tiny screws holding the mount to the lens and when attached to a camera and monopod, they pulled out and the mount nearly came completely of the lens.
I sold the lens and replaced it with a Canon.
No problems since, and I will never purchase an off brand lens again.

Jun 18, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cdatcs to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: Apr 11, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact 300 F2.8,fast focusing,little or no loss of quality with my x1.4 & x2 convertors
Cons:
May not be as fast focusing as the Canon but very close

I purchased this lens to cover floodlit football events as I needed a couple of stops faster than my 100-400 L IS and had no plans to do much else with it but now find it to be my lens of choice.
I have taken test shots with my mate's canon equivalent and am hard pressed to tell the difference

Apr 11, 2004
Edit/Delete Message
spartan123

Registered: Nov 9, 2003
Review Date: Feb 19, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,875.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price and build. Great wide open. This lens is a bargain for the money... Easier carrying lens then the Canon 300L f/2.8
Cons:

The pictures and the build are pretty close to my "L" lenses. The price is great. I love the filter system, any 46mm X 5mm filter can be used. and the lens hood system is the best I have seen as far as attaching. Very sturdy tripod mount and well balanced on a monopod. Incredible shots from a tripod and Kirk king Cobra setup.

It is a heavy lens of course... But it is an f/2.8. It works great with TC's also.

The more I use this lens the better I like it. I swear using a 1.4TC with it does nothing to the photo's. If not make them better.

Feb 19, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add spartan123 to your Buddy List
Nigel Andrews

Registered: Sep 12, 2002
Review Date: Oct 17, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, construction, handling, bright image, speed of focus, sharpness and contrast (remember this is not 'L' glass)
Cons:
It's not L glass LOL

I could not possibly afford the Canon equivalent but, at the price, I have access to a fast telephoto which, with matched extenders gets me a 600mm f5.6 - fantastic! Sharpness and contrast cannot match the Canon equivalent but I am delighted with the images it helps me produce and would recommend anyone on a budget has a serious look.

Oct 17, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nigel Andrews to your Buddy List

Sigma 300mm f2.8 EX APO HSM