Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF

70 200325 Jul 21, 2012
7.8
20_f1_8_1_

Sigma 20mm f1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF is one of several EX Series lenses. It is the first 20mm Super wide-angle lens in the world with a large aperture of F1.8 and angle of view 94.5. It has Macro focusing capability with a minimum focusing distance of 20cm/7.9inches (reproduction ratio 1:4). The iris diaphragm has 9 diaphragm blades to obtain beautiful out of focus image. It incorporates an aspherical lens element in the front as well as rear lens groups, to minimize distortion, spherical aberration and astigmatism. The lens has non-vignetting optical construction, in order to obtain adequate peripheral brightness with open aperture. This is especially desirable for digital cameras. The lens incorporates a rear focus system eliminating front lens rotation, thus allowing the use of a Perfect Hood and easy use of polarizing filters. The lens also incorporates dual-focus mechanism. It is easy to hold the lens, since the focusing ring does not rotate during auto-focus, yet it provides adequate focusing torque of the focusing ring during manual focusing of the lens. The lens materials used in this new lens are lead and arsenic free ecological glass.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5

dardman

Registered: Sep 8, 2003
Review Date: Jan 9, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $288.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp images, good color & contrast, wide aperture
Cons:
manual focus is a pain

I bought this lens because my wide angle zoom, Canon's 17-40 f/4, is not very usable for the kind of indoor, available light shots that I frequently take. Unlike the comments I read in some other forums, the autofocus is neither very noisy nor slow enough to notice.

I've mainly used it for indoor candids and it has served me well (so far only on my 10D where it has an effective length of 32mm). I've taken a number of pictures between f/2.0 and f/2.8 at 1/60 and ISO 800 - while the 2.0 shots are soft, they are shots I would never have gotten at all with the 17-40. The few outdoor shots I've taken were stopped down to f/8 and they were very nice.

I was originally concerned about Sigma quality (since all my other lenses are Canons) but I am quite happy with the lens.

Jan 9, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dardman to your Buddy List
Kevin M

Registered: Dec 17, 2002
Review Date: Dec 29, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast and sharp, reasonable price.
Cons:
Bulky, Dual focus mechanism.

Excellent landscape lens. Very little distortion and CA is well controlled.
Sharp at centre from 2.8 on - and across the frame from 6.3. (Canon 10D) Close focus is an added bonus (7")

The dual switches for manual/af are just plain daft and take a bit of getting used to. Despite this I am well pleased with my purchase and it is on my 10D most of the time.

Dec 29, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kevin M to your Buddy List
Lars Johnsson

Registered: Jun 29, 2003
Review Date: Jul 24, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $390.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast lens, sharp from f/2.8, minimum focus 20 cm, hood & case included
Cons:
Soft wide open, 82 mm filters

Soft wide open but from f/2.8 sharp. The minimum focus distance is only 20 cm so you can be very close. A nice case and hood included for a good price.

Jul 24, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lars Johnsson to your Buddy List
gtivr4

Registered: Jun 16, 2003
Review Date: Jun 16, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast, sharp, great price
Cons:
build quality, dual focus mechanism, AF Speed

A wonderful focal length, and a really fast aperture make this my favorite lens. Its by no means perfect though. The dual focus mechanism is annoying (why can't the clutch act as the AF switch as well?), as you can often have it in MF (on the clutch), and AF, and it will want to grind.

I did have to take it in to be repaired, as it stopped focusing or stopping down the lens (making it basically useless). Turned out to be some loose soldering.

Fortunately when the lens works, it works quite nicely, and produces some very nice images.

Jun 16, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gtivr4 to your Buddy List
Canonizer

Registered: May 21, 2003
Review Date: Jun 5, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $280.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast aperture, good sharpness and contrast by f/2.8, close focusing, good control of CA, barrel distortion and flare, nice lens case and hood included.
Cons:
82mm filters, soft at maximum aperture, rather large.

I have used this lens on both my Canon EOS 3 and my Canon EOS 10D. It has created some remarkable images in both the film and digital worlds. The close focusing is a bonus that allows for some expressive images. I find build quality to be very good, and manual focusing quite easy.

However, I have not had acceptably sharp results when used at maximum aperture. By f/2.8 sharpness is satisfactory in both film and digital.

I find the lens suitable for travel photography, nature and landscapes. I would recommend the lens.

Jun 5, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Canonizer to your Buddy List
Harold St

Registered: Sep 16, 2002
Review Date: Mar 31, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Excellent Image Quality Relatively Low Cost
Cons:
Subpar Build Quality

Produces very sharp pictures and little distortion on a 1.6x crop camera (the D60 I used it on). Extremely sharp from f2.8 onward. Colors are slightly cool. The lens has a very short minimum focusing distance. Using manual focus, I am able to obtain focus within 6" of the subject.

The overall build quality is subpar. The focusing ring on mine was a bit loose. Also, takes 82mm filters, which can be expensive. On the plus side however, when I did use filters, I found that I was able to use a 82-->77mm stepdown ring (again on the D60) without discernable image quality issues.

Mar 31, 2003