Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

354 745813 Nov 12, 2014
ef70-200_28lisu_1_

Incorporating Canonís second generation Image Stabilization technology, this telephoto zoom responds in as little at 0.5 seconds, while providing up to three stops of correction for camera shake. Its AF system has been refined for better response time and tracking speed. And even the new 8-blade circular aperture offers a more pleasing out-of-focus image. Constructed to pro standards, this fast zoom is also highly resistant to dust and moisture, too.

websurfer

Registered: Feb 27, 2006
Review Date: Apr 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very, very sharp; Sharpness throughout range. IS is fantastic; Superb image quality and colour rendition. Built to last. Looks sexy as well.
Cons:
Expensive

From the very first you feel you have gotten a high quality product in your hands. During usage this impression is just confirmed. With this lens you feel you can handle almost every photographic situation..
I am very glad I got this 2.8 IS ver.. It is expensive, yes, but I donīt have to buy another lens to support this lens cos it is a very versatile lens covering a high number of photographic categories.
The more i use it the more i love it. The moment I press the shutter release button, i know I am going to get sharp pics.. every time...really an amazing lens! IS is fantastic, more useful than expected.
Before buying this lens I had been reading a lot about weight concerns from some users, and I had expected this might be a minor problem - but now afterwards I really donīt understand this. No problems at all. I am carying the lens in my Lowepro Toploader 75AW, when I am not shooting.This bag and the 2.8 IS is a good combo, cos the bag gives me quick access to the camera. I can carry this lens all day without any problem.
I really canīt find any CONS so far - only the price maybe, but it is worth it.!!

Highly recommended!

Apr 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add websurfer to your Buddy List
Joe Jargisa

Registered: Mar 29, 2005
Review Date: Apr 15, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp wide open throughout focal range, Built to last a long time, very responsive AF on the 1d Mk2, good firm feel adjustment with focus and zoom rings, share 77mm filters with other L's
Cons:
Quite heavy, expensive (rightly so). No real cons at all!!

Finally went for the 2.8 IS model after months of debating. Very pleased with this lens!
In fact trying to look at it objectivley there is nothing really I can say that is bad about this model. I keep it on the camera much of the time!

It was a very difficult choice as looking all over the web, many comparisons are made between the different 70-200 models. This has been complicated even more by the release of the F4 IS model. But the 2.8 really has great BOKEH. It really shines in all areas.

I would recommend it without letup to anyone!

Apr 15, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Joe Jargisa to your Buddy List
Mark Chambers

Registered: Mar 7, 2007
Review Date: Apr 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,669.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great for sports shooting and general photography (indoor and outdoor), even in lower light. Focus is very fast. Build quality is exceptional.
Cons:
It's pretty heavy.

I've used this lens for a couple of weeks now. I have used it in a variety of light. I have mainly been shooting little league baseball and basketball inside a gym. I have seen great results even with lower light in the evening (outside) and have had no issues with autofocus. I use al servo and the lens set to mode 2 and it has done a great job keeping things in perfect focus when tracking moving subjects. I was using a Canon 70-300 is usm lens prior to getting this 70-200 is usm lens and there is a big difference in the quality and capabilities of this lens. The lens is not light so I have been using a monopod and it helps. I've shot many photos zoomed to 200mm handheld and been amazed by the image stabilizer. I am very pleased with this lens. I have been able to get shots in lower light outside and inside that I would not have been able to get with my f4-5.6 lens. I am amazed at the photos that my 30d is now shooting with this lens. --- I highly recommend this lens.

Apr 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mark Chambers to your Buddy List
David John

Registered: Mar 11, 2007
Review Date: Apr 2, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,699.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Great for weddings...
Cons:
NOT for sports!!

I was disappointed in the speed of the auto focus. If you're a serious sports shooter...STICK WITH PRIMES!!

Apr 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add David John to your Buddy List
Jerren

Registered: Oct 24, 2005
Review Date: Mar 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,699.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS, 2.8, versatile focal range.
Cons:
People say price and weight, but its worth the price and weight is expected.

A man in a brown truck just dropped my copy of the 70-200 2.8L IS yesterday morning. So my reveiw is based on my thought right out of the box.

Before opening the box I did notice the weight of the package was comprable to the weight of my 5D and grip when delivered. I ripped open the box and snapped the lens on and raised it to a clock on the wall.

Click, Spool, Smile...

So far I'm impressed with this lens. Because of its size, I have to keep it on the body while stored away in my bag. It takes the place of my 135L. I can still see my self using the 135 for portrait sessions and work with models. But for now the 70-200 will be my work horse for wedding work. I'll be giving it a work out tomorrow at a event that I'm shooting.

Because of its size and color, It will probably intimidate people a bit and make me a bit more noticable. I experienced this when I had the 70-200 f4L and I would imagine that it would be a similar experience with this one.

I actually took my kids to the park and had this lens on the 5D as I shot them from afar. Another dad approached me and said, "now thats a camera, are you a photographer?" I said no and smiled. He then asked me to shoot a meeting he had that night. THAT NIGHT! I declined because of prior engagements but I basically got hired for a job based off this lens alone. lol.

This is a great lens, the time it took me to save for it was well worth it. I'd purchase this thing again in a heart beat.

Mar 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jerren to your Buddy List
Chris Walker

Registered: Mar 29, 2007
Review Date: Mar 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp lens at all apertures, fast autofocus
Cons:
Price (Switzerland US $ 2700)

After reading almost all posts on this lens at this forum, I decided to buy this lens. It's my first prime lens and I really must confirm that I donít regret my decision.

Itís a great lens. I use it on my 20D and at all distances and apertures the pictures are crystal clear, very sharp, excellent color and contrast.
If you ever think to buy a lens in this range (70-200) itís definitely this one. If you canít afford it, save your money still you are able buy it. Although this lens in Switzerland is very expensive (compared to the price, US customers must paid for) itís worth every penny. The fast AF is amazing for every kind of racing like horses, cars, ski and so on. The IS and the 2,8 a real advantage in low light conditions when you better donít use a flashlight.

I can confirm all about, what others wrote concerning the quality of this prime.
Go and get it!!!

Mar 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chris Walker to your Buddy List
Jake Holt

Registered: Oct 7, 2006
Review Date: Mar 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,800.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: AF speed, I.S., color, bokeh, zoom range, build quality
Cons:
Fairly soft at 200mm at 2.8, especially compared to 200 2.8L prime.

I've been using this lens for a month now, so I figure I've used it enough to give my 2 cents.

First, overall, it's a very good lens. The zoom range is very useful, I.S. works as advertised (I've gotten acceptably sharp results at 200mm and 1/15th of a second), and the color and bokeh are great. It's sharp at f4 and very sharp at 5.6.

However, my disappointment comes when shooting at f2.8, particularly at 200mm. I use this focal length primarily for weddings, and up until now I've been using the 200 2.8L prime. While I love the quality and the size of the prime, I decided that it was worth the weight and cost to have the I.S. and zoom capability. While I've loved using the 70-200, I've noticed that that amazing look that the 200 prime had at 2.8 is not there with this zoom. Maybe I've been spoiled by the prime - I use both primes and zooms, and I know that primes are generally sharper at a given aperture - but given the rave reviews this lens always receives, I just expected more. The 200 2.8 is amazingly sharp even at 2.8 - it gives me the absolute best results of any lens in my kit - so I know I'm holding the 70-200 to a very high standard. Still, given the price tag I expected more.

So, once I noticed these results, I began checking around more and lo and behold, I'm not the only one who feels the same - check out the findings here:

As you'll notice, the MTF numbers are rather pedestrian at 2.8, 200mm. Now, I'm not a pixel peeper by any means - this is a difference that's noticeable in 5x7 prints. Look at some other popular lenses on that site, and you'll see that much better numbers are to be found with the 200 2.8 prime and the 70-200 2.8 non-IS. Zooms are always a compromise in some way, but it would seem that a telephoto zoom lens would be engineered to perform best at it's longest setting.

With all that out of the way, I still like the lens, and I would buy it again, although I think for the price it should be better wide-open. It's an incredibly useful tool, and although 2.8 isn't great, it's there if you need it - although I find I tend to bump the ISO before I switch from f4 to f2.8. Maybe the moral of the story is that L series primes will spoil you!

Mar 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jake Holt to your Buddy List
Bjorn Beheydt

Registered: Mar 22, 2007
Review Date: Mar 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, IS, f2.8, built like a bazooka, colors, bokeh, the looks, ...
Cons:
Maybe the price, depends on your needs, looks like a bazooka :-)

Before buying this lens, I first rented the non-IS version a few times. While that is already a great lens, this one is even better. the question is not, is the IS worth the extra money, the question is: do you have the extra money to spend. If you do, don't doubt, buy!
The built of this lens is superb. With this thing mounted to my 5D, I am not afraid of being robbed. Like said before, this thing looks like a bazooka, and if you hit someone with it, they will know that it can feel like a bazooka too :-)
Another point is indeed the looks. This thing looks great, and impressive. this has both positive and negative points. People always come up to you when they see you shooting. This can result in new customers, but can be annoying at times too.
the sharpness of this lens is incredible, same for the colors. the IS is really a great help too, keeping pictures sharp at slower speeds (low light) that would otherwise be lost. This lens makes the difference between a good wedding reportage and a bad one.
Whenever I want to be sure of a good shot, I take out this lens.

Mar 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Bjorn Beheydt to your Buddy List
coolest

Registered: May 26, 2003
Review Date: Mar 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,659.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid, fast, great focusing speed, good looking :) etc etc
Cons:
weight.... pricy....

All the pros said them all. There's nothing I can add.

Oh, I'll just say, while the new "Baby White IS" (F4 version) is light & easy to carry around, this "Little White IS" has greater fire power...

So if you are tough, if you are strong, if you are built to carry weights... there's no reason why you should not just aim for this Little White IS. Smile

Mar 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add coolest to your Buddy List
Phast1

Registered: Jul 14, 2005
Posts: 2082
Review Date: Mar 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IS works wonders, f/2.8, rotating collar.
Cons:
maybe price...naw, it's worth it.

I've owned several copies of this lens (I'm a gearhead yes) and all of them were fabulous. Never seen a bad copy. I've used the 70-200 2.8IS on 30D, 1DMkII-N, 20D. This lens produces superb bokeh, has very fast focus. This lens and the 35L are my two most used and altime favorite lenses. I prefer using the zoom over 85L/135L combo because of the flexibility and prime quality this zoom offers. The 85L admittedly is in a class by itself though and comparing it here is somewhat inapropriate.

I love that the tripod collar can be loosened to rotate camera into portrait position but really would've liked an alignment mark for vertical position like it has for horizontal. This lens is sharp wide open. 2 IS modes, and yes an off switch makes 3, make this lens highly versatile for all kinds of shooting. I've used it extensively for sports, candids, portraits and stitched panos @ 70mm. I couldn't see the f/4 version as being an alternitive purchase because of subject movement.

I highly recommend this lens. I buy and sell alot of lenses but this and the 35L tops on the seller's remorse list. Wink

Mar 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Phast1 to your Buddy List
shiato storm

Registered: Jan 15, 2006
Review Date: Mar 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Built like a tank, IS, f/2.8, weather seals, constant length in focal range. Image results and clarity top notch. great low light performer.
Cons:
built like a tank also carries it's weight like a tank...not such a negative though when you consider the positives. Expensive. It's almost worth it but virtually exclusive to the well-off or pro's.

As anyone on here probably knows this is one of those lenses that carries itself extremely well and comes highly regarded. The range is a very good portrait or 'not too far away' sports lens, indoors and outdoors.
Plus points for me is the weather sealing due to the shooting I do (on/by a river following rowing) and the IS. I had to use this at its full working aperture in low-light and bouncing around on a rubber dingey and results are very impressive wide open. I even used this at beyond -20C and it didn't complain one iota. Yes the IQ is meant to be better in the non-IS version but for usability this is the lens to have. Attached to the 1DmkII the combination is one of the most effective I've shot with.
the obvious downside to this - and not just the physical weight - is the amount of money this will cost you. You might be lucky and find an exceptional 2nd hand copy which may be the best route for you, if you are quite well-off or a pro then the expenditure perhaps wont matter so much thanks to your wealth or that you know it'll work well for you and pay itself back immeasurably.
I highly recommend this lens but you must think carefully about your needs prior to spending a great deal of your earnings on it. I'd suggest you try the other 70-200 (f/4's) and then go from there if this proves to be more suitable to your shooting.

Mar 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add shiato storm to your Buddy List
HaydnMclean

Registered: Feb 22, 2007
Review Date: Feb 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: its big.... and white it also feels like your doing something right. The salesman hit my sucker buttons and I couldnt argue with him cos hes right, I wanted to shoot motorsport and maybe this is a good lense...The portraits of my girlfriend are just a side affect. Love this lense. Already chased a 1.4 down and on a 30d the moon becomes big. think i need a 300 2.8 next but at the same time i want a 10-22 efs...
Cons:
credit card now about to self combust..... I'd do it again though.

Bought this at the same time as a 30d and 17-85 is... yeah I know.. I got caught up in the moment but I DONT REGRET IT...

Feb 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add HaydnMclean to your Buddy List
Xenedis

Registered: Feb 11, 2006
Review Date: Feb 2, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,845.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast (for a zoom), very sharp, IS, good focal range, compatible with the teleconverters, built like a tank, feels great, and has 77mm filter size (consistent with most other L zoom filter sizes).
Cons:
Vignettes wide open, and is expensive, but it's worth the money, and delivers.

I have owned my 70-200/2.8L IS since October, 2006, but have shot with one before, and achieved very pleasing results.

I previously owned the 70-200/4L, which was a very sharp lens, albeit a stop slower and with no IS. It was my first L.

I decided to upgrade, and not long after, sold my 70-200/4L.

I've used mine on my 20D and 5D, again with pleasing results.

I've found that the 70-200/2.8L IS is one of my most frequently used lenses. I absolutely love working with it. It's large, long and heavy, but feels great, and performs very well indeed.

When using one, the size, weight, construction and feel of the zoom and focus rings make it clear that you're using serious gear. This lens is a staple in photojournalism and sport photography circles, but is also used by many amateurs.

The extra speed and the IS are desirable and beneficial. I mostly shoot wide open with this lens, and its focal range is quite useful to a shooter like myself who prefers longer focal lengths. The wide (for a zoom) f/2.8 aperture is also useful for shooters who like narrow depth of field.

It seems to be universally accepted that the 70-200/2.8L IS is a very sharp lens. Mine certainly is. There's a lot of glass in it, and it is a zoom (a great zoom), but its sharpness is up there with my L primes (35/1.4L, 135/2L and 300/4L IS). All of these are known for being sharp, and the 35/1.4L and 135/2L have what I call "wow effect". I've not done any testing to compare the sharpness of the zoom vs. these primes, but my own experience and results tell me that the 70-200/2.8L IS is right up there with these excellent L primes. I expect the difference in sharpness (if any) to be very negligible.

This lens is able to resolve a high level of detail, produce crisp edges and really isolate a subject from the background. Just what the doctor ordered.

The 70-200/2.8L IS is a very expensive lens, and if money is no object, then for some people, size and weight certainly may be. I don't mind heavy lenses (and this is my heaviest), but if compactness, lightness and discretion are important, this lens won't deliver in that regard. If sharpness, speed and quality are priorities, then it absolutely delivers.

I bought the 1.4x teleconverter at the same time, but tend to use it more with my 300mm L prime for extra reach.

One other point worth mentioning is the 77mm filter size. All current L zooms (excluding the two 70-200mm f/4 lenses) use 77mm filters. Apart from the 14/2.8L and the super-teles (300/2.8 IS and above), only three L primes use 77mm filters (24/1.4L, 300/4L IS and 400/5.6L), with the remaining primes using 72mm filters.

If you happen to own several lenses (L or otherwise) which use 77mm filters (I own three), the common size is both handy and a cost-saver when it comes to more expensive filters, such as circular polarisers.

The only negative comment I can make about the 70-200/2.8L IS is that there is noticeable vignetting on full-frame cameras when shot wide open, especially if there is a lot of sky in the corners.

Otherwise I cannot fault it.

Recommended.

J.

Feb 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Xenedis to your Buddy List
rebelxtnewbie

Registered: Jun 19, 2006
Review Date: Feb 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build, Sharpness & Contrast, IS, Zoom
Cons:
CA, loud autofocus

I made a progression from 70-200 f/4 to the f/2.8 and finally the 2.8 IS. I don't regret it one bit. Build quality is superb. Auto focus is dead on and fast realative to most lenses in this range.

The sharpness & contrast is excellent. Some people say that the non IS is sharper maybe it is, but it's not noticable unless you put them side by side and pixil peep. Also when I had the Non-IS my arms got tired after long hours of shooting and was more prone to camera shake. IS works like advertise! All my lenses now have IS and love it. Sure it wont help to freeze action but I'm not a sport shooter and most of my subjects are stationary anyways.

The only things I didn't like about this lens is the loud autofocus, but that is common with all the teles I've used by canon. The USM on this lens, the non-IS, the f/4 and even my 300mm f/4 is noticably louder than my shorter lenses and even my old Sigma 100-300 HSM!

The other thing is CA. Maybe I have a bad copy but it is noticable compared to the other versions I had. The CA is the only thing that kept me from giving it a 10.

All in all, it is a superb lens and definately worth the premium over the non IS version if you can afford it.

Feb 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rebelxtnewbie to your Buddy List
Mike Pearson

Registered: Jan 26, 2007
Review Date: Jan 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Build Quality, IS
Cons:
None but the weight - and that is to be expected

I agonized over this purchase. Previously I have only used primes and I was concerned about how sharp this lens would be. I considered the 70-200 f4 IS because from what I could find it seems to be rated as sharper. The problem was I do a lot of low light photography. This much money for versatility but lower IQ would have hurt!

Well, I pulled the trigger on the 70-200 f2.8 IS, and put it to a simple test as soon as it arrived. I compared it, at 200mm f2.8, with my prime Canon 200mm f2.8. I took identical photos of the label on a dishwashing soap bottle by my sink. At 100%, side-by-side in Photoshop, the two lenses are equal in my judgment. I would not say identical - there seems to be some kind of minor trade-off between factors, with one stronger where the other is weaker and vice versa. (Though I don't have a clue what those factors are.) But, to my eye they appear identically sharp even though I know there is something subtle that is different between them. If anything, I actually like the 70-200 image a tiny bit more!

I'm happy to pay the high price for this lens to get its versatility without giving up quality.

BTW - search on "psjan" at B&H to save a hundred

Jan 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mike Pearson to your Buddy List
Familyandchild

Registered: Jan 26, 2007
Review Date: Jan 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp
Cons:

Really nice performance, i love it.
it is so sharp even wide open, i mainly use it at F2.8 to take out my object from background.
this is my favorite lens, especially when i shoot Family and child photos.

Most of the Family and child pp in my homepage(http://iikeshuwan.spaces.live.com/) were taken by this lens.

Jan 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Familyandchild to your Buddy List

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM