Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

357 764744 Jan 16, 2017
ef70-200_28lisu_1_

Incorporating Canon’s second generation Image Stabilization technology, this telephoto zoom responds in as little at 0.5 seconds, while providing up to three stops of correction for camera shake. Its AF system has been refined for better response time and tracking speed. And even the new 8-blade circular aperture offers a more pleasing out-of-focus image. Constructed to pro standards, this fast zoom is also highly resistant to dust and moisture, too.

norrislw

Registered: Aug 5, 2008
Review Date: Aug 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast AF, build quality, IS.
Cons:
Weight and Price

Got this lens in May, very happy with the sharpness and IQ of this telephoto. IS is a plus, and performs great for panning shots. A little heavy, but F2.8 is a plus for low lighting situation.

Aug 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add norrislw to your Buddy List
brad_n_texas

Registered: Jan 13, 2006
Review Date: Jul 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Well from what I have read here, Nothing but GREAT
Cons:

After reading several reviews and 100s of posting in FM, broke down this morning and called B and H and ordered one, Why wait 4 to 6 days for it to come in, had it sent next day..

Jul 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add brad_n_texas to your Buddy List
SebR

Registered: Jul 16, 2008
Review Date: Jul 16, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,963.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Insane fast and accurate autofocus, great build quality, weather sealing, very versatile in poor lightning conditions because of IS and the large aperture, lovely "bokeh". Perfect for portrait and sport photographing.
Cons:
Could be sharper wide open at 2.8. Knife sharp at F/3.5+. Pricey - But you get the "boss", and will never ever regret that you included both IS and F/2.8 - Trust me.

Paired with EF 400mm IS F/2.8 - There is no better combination for sport photographing in the whole wide world.

You need to decide if IS and F/2.8 really will be necessary for you. For indoor sport photographing, and possibly concerts with low lightning I say it's a "must". A bit heavy, but you'll get used to it. Especially when you see the image results later on. Wink

Jul 16, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add SebR to your Buddy List
factoryphoto

Registered: Jul 5, 2004
Review Date: Jul 15, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,400.00

Pros: Great colors,very fast focussing, great for sports and any kind of photography.
Cons:
zero I have no complaints best workhorse lens out there bar none.

This by far the best lens i've owned.. I just purchased a 300 F2.8 about 2 months ago and sold it 2 weeks ago to go back to this lens.. Dont get me wrong the 300 2.8 is absolutley unreal but I just can't justify the price between the two.. I shoot motocross exclusivley and the 70-200 is a work horse lens.. It does everything very well and i've got outstanding results from it for over 6 years I been using it. I just have nothing but great things to say about this lens, ive owned over 4 of these lenses and just ordered my fifth one.
Dont hesitate if your in the market for a lens of this caliber it is just that good.
Hoss

Jul 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add factoryphoto to your Buddy List
Conrad Tan

Registered: Dec 8, 2007
Review Date: Jul 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,769.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack Sharp! IS saves shots! f2.8 Stops action very well!
Cons:
Heavy... real heavy. Better hit the gym!

I agonized over this lens for almost a year. Now I don't know how I went so long without it! I loved my f4, but it pales in comparison to my copy of the f2.8. Go get one! You'll never look back!

Jul 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Conrad Tan to your Buddy List
Kevin Simpson

Registered: Nov 24, 2006
Review Date: Jun 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quality of the shots, colour, sharpness, speed of focussing and tracking in AI servo (even on 5D), sheer range of applications. nice zippy bag thing (although does anyone use that? if so, when?!?)
Cons:
heavy? White is a bit "phwoar, check out the length of my lens"

Tremendous value, great ability, beautiful shots. This is just a fantastic workhorse lens.

I am still consistently surprised by the sheer quality of the shots this produces (use on a 5D), even in less than favourable conditions (e.g. low light, windy, subjects moving about) so the IS clearly works and the glass is so good at producing faithful, wonderful representations of the scenes you try to capture.

I use it most frequently at 2.8 and I always think... sheesh, that is going to be tough to get good shots in this light at 2.8. And then, review the files and there they are again, cracking sharp shots.

It has also survided a few drops and knocks, with the lens hood popping off and the impact to the body having no effect at all.

For paid jobs (I mix hobby with some work for the family photography business), this and my 35L will be absolutely, 100% dependable and produce the results I need 95% of the time. (for that other 5%, I think I will ge the 85L).

I would like a black version, as I state above, it is not exactly stealthy so even during a paid gig it is a little 'bling'.

Love the zippy bag, but I have never used it, which seems a waste considering it is clearly a high value item. In what situations to others use it? I'd be delighted to hear so I can complete my praise for this delightful lens!

Jun 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kevin Simpson to your Buddy List
RobertLynn

Registered: Jan 5, 2008
Review Date: May 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very good focal length. IS. Fast Av. Fast, silent, accurate focusing. The IS is quiet (but you can hear it if you are in a quiet area TRYING to hear it). Build quality is top notch. Light paint reflects light, and keeps the lens cooler (feel the hood vs the lens outside in the sun, you'll see). Lens is reasonably sharp at 2.8, and cleans up very nicely at 4.
Cons:
The weight (I knew this getting into it, it's not an issue for me, but for others they may not want to go hiking with it). The cost (it's on rebate right now, but still it's a lot of money. Casual photographers will love the lens, but springing for it may hurt the bank. My suggestion? If you enjoy photography and will use the lens, then buy it. Put the cost out of your mind, and enjoy the images you get from it.

1st, let me say I'm just an aspiring hobbyist, looking to start doing paid gigs. Take my review as someone who hasn't been doing photography for too long, though I have had work published by a few bands.

First off, the price. It is a hefty tag. However, how often do you have to buy it? With this price, you get a zoom over a 70-200 range, with a fast Av (to my knowledge, I can't think of a zoom made by Canon that is faster than 2.8), and IS technology.

Secondly, the weight. Physics will show you how it is that this lens weighs so much. It's the constant Av over the focal range (the f/4 IS is nearly half the weight) adds tremendous weight to the lens. At 3.7 lbs with the tripod collar on, it is heavy. I do not mind the weight, however I can see having it slung over your neck all day would definitely be bothersom.

Third, performance. The AF is fast, accurate and silent. When you test it, there's reports of sharp and soft copies out there. I think obviously there are some however; I think a lot of it is unrealistic expectations, and user error. Simply put, a telephoto lens isn't as forgiving on bad technique. Neither is a narrow depth of field. As far as sharpness, I find my acceptably sharp. Knowing that a prime (say 135L or 85L) is going to be sharper than a zoom. How much sharper in print, I cannot say. I'll leave that to someone else. Colors and contrast on this lens are great. Shots have minimal CA, except I've got a few at higher ISO (1600-3200) in high contrast areas, at full zoom, and 150 feet away) that have it. I didn't notice this, and it was pointed out to me (again think of this when you consider this review, I'm not the most experienced photographer out there) that it was there. was told it was minimal and could be corrected in post.

Another thing is that the front element doesn't spin during focus. You could us CPF if you wanted to.

My bottom line is this, after countless hours of research, I decided the best lens for me was this one. I could benefit from the IS, (though I'm confused on how much it benefits me), I use 2.8, so the choice was there. If you're looking at this one, you're looking at any of the 4 7-2's that Canon offers.

My advice is simple.
If you need f4 and no IS, then the f4 non IS is for you
If you need f4 and IS, then the f4 IS is for you.
if you need f/2.8 and no IS, then the 2.8 non Is is for you,
and you guessed it...the f/2.8 IS is there if you need 2.8 and IS.

Not a single lens in that range will do you wrong. Don't worry so much about the weight, worry about what features you need.
Before I forget, the case that comes with the lens is nice, not like the bag you get with the 24-70. Also the hood is nice, and does a great job of reducing flare.

May 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add RobertLynn to your Buddy List
Ulan

Registered: May 14, 2008
Review Date: May 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp pictures,fast, accurate and silent AF, very well built, good IS
Cons:
expensive (but worth it), heavy,focal range is more suited for full format than APS-C (but it is according to your use)

Pictures are cristal clear, very sharp, excellent even at 2.8. Un piqué splendide ! as we say in French. Bokeh is nice, contrast and color are wonderful. Before buying it wouldn't believe the reviews and the hype about the lens, but I must I am deeply impressed. I don't use it as a walk-around lens as it is too heavy and on trips I rather use Sigma 50-150 which is lighter but with focusing not always accurate and without IS), yet good pictures quality. This 70-200 L IS is a jewel.

May 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ulan to your Buddy List
JanPhoto

Registered: Feb 27, 2006
Review Date: May 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Well build, quick focus, supper optics ... CANON CLASSIC ...
Cons:
Do not see any ....

This lens which I have purchased in addition to f4.0 IS, is truly awesome .... the F2.8 plays a big role here since I love shallow dept of field in images plus of course speed increase due to F2.8 ....

@ As far as color reproduction I say SUPER!
@ Sharpness PERFECT!
@ Focusing dam QUICK!
@ Image Stabilization FANTASTIC!

Over all the BEST 70-200mm lens I have ever owned ! Highly RECOMMENDED!

May 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JanPhoto to your Buddy List
stopper

Registered: May 1, 2008
Review Date: May 2, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, Image quality
Cons:

I had the F4 version. Good lens but I needed the F2.8 for hockey games.
I considered the non IS but the IS version gives me more flexibility.
It is up to you personally if you want to spend the extra money on the IS.

Great lens.
I highly recommend it.

May 2, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add stopper to your Buddy List
jj sach md

Registered: Jan 22, 2006
Review Date: Apr 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: All been said before: solid build, picture quality, f2.8, IS, focal range.
Cons:
Easy to criticise on price but once you start using it to earn money you are rewarded with quality photos and happy customers.

Apr 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jj sach md to your Buddy List
Murray Thompso

Registered: Nov 27, 2006

Pros: I have had this lens for a few months now, upgraded from 70-200 F4L. F4 was good but this goes way beyond. Colours jump out of image, and IS is a boon. Build quality is great. A bit conspicuous to carry around, but you get used to it.
Cons:
None, Quality costs, and this is worth every penny.

Apr 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Murray Thompso to your Buddy List
novadude

Registered: Apr 18, 2008
Review Date: Apr 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, crystal clear picture,
Cons:
heavy, pricy

Owned more than a year, Crystal clear picture, at zoom 200, I can see my running dog's hair, it works like a telescope without using your own eyes. Used with 1.4x as well, result still pretty ideal. This is the a lens you must have if you like sports photography. Wish had owned it earlier. Sometimes the auto focus doesn't always point to the subject I like to shoot, I'm not sure if setup problem or lens'. Anyway, its no big deal since I can always re-lock it before shoot.

Apr 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add novadude to your Buddy List
lextalionis

Registered: Jul 28, 2007
Review Date: Apr 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Probably the most useful lens in my bag!
Cons:
Feels like twice the mass as the f/4...but worth every ounce!

Great lens...but you do have to spend some $$ for it! This is one of Canon's 3 "Holy Grail" zooms. Here are some sample photos:

Sample Photos

-Roy

Apr 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lextalionis to your Buddy List
angel_d_saint

Registered: Apr 9, 2008
Review Date: Apr 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: BUILD, IS, f2.8, it's WHITE (",)
Cons:
none found yet

i think that weight and price should never be real issues here. if the competition can produce a lens of this caliber that is a leap in price and weight, then i might reconsider. if someone wants a lighter or less expensive zoom, then take a look at the 70-300 IS. hope you know where this is going...

f2.8 is acceptable, but i'd like to shoot @ f3.2 down to f4 w/ higher ISOs in low light whenever i can. so the IS helps here (no, i don't shoot sports).

Apr 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add angel_d_saint to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Mar 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,800.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: IS, 2.8
Cons:
Heavy , costly

I think the idea is good, however the resolving power is not as good as the original.
I am a little disappointed with the weight of this lens. As an all day carry lens it gets very tiresome.
Ever so slightly soft at 2.8, but overall 7 out of 10.

Mar 30, 2008