Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

353 742129 May 9, 2014
ef70-200_28lisu_1_

Incorporating Canonís second generation Image Stabilization technology, this telephoto zoom responds in as little at 0.5 seconds, while providing up to three stops of correction for camera shake. Its AF system has been refined for better response time and tracking speed. And even the new 8-blade circular aperture offers a more pleasing out-of-focus image. Constructed to pro standards, this fast zoom is also highly resistant to dust and moisture, too.

ooss

Registered: Jan 9, 2005
Location: Iceland
Review Date: May 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: You get what you paid for! A very good sharp lens with excellent build quality. Ultra fast focus. Tripod mount included. White color. Great bokeh.

May 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ooss to your Buddy List
BobBennett

Registered: May 20, 2004
Review Date: May 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Sharpness, Bokeh, AF performance
Cons:
Unreliable, Short Warranty

When it's working this lens is the best zoom I've used.

Unfortunately, it is very unreliable. It regularly locks up the camera with several different errors. This has happened in front of clients. It's sometimes necessary to remove the battery from the camera to clear the problem. This occurs on both my 1DMarkII and 10D and only when this lens is attached. A quick search of the forums at Rob Galbraith's sites reveals that MANY people are having similar problems.

Check here:

It has been to Canon service twice and is now out of warranty. I never use it for important 'only one chance' shots.

It seems the non-IS version does not suffer from the same problems. I would strongly recommend against purchasing any Canon lens equipped with IS.

Peace,
Bob Bennett
Gypsy Moon Photography

May 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add BobBennett to your Buddy List
nickmath

Registered: Apr 23, 2005
Review Date: May 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Built like a tank, image quality of a prime lens, IS works at least 3 f-stops, tripod mount included
Cons:
Price - but you get what you pay for

This is my new favorite lens. Amazingly sharp lens, fast focus and the IS enables me to photography what otherwise I wouldn't even think of trying. It is heavy but that doesn't bother me, I carried around on a hike and really didn't notice it more than another lens. I do find that I carry it more with my hands than with the neck strap alone due to its weight but I tend to take more pictures that way so I really don't mind it at all. I would recommend this lens for anyone who can afford it.

May 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nickmath to your Buddy List
tanglefoot47

Registered: Oct 12, 2004
Review Date: May 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,599.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, well built, great color one
Cons:
Cost

I love this lens, it is the best lens I have owned. I can now do soccer games in cloudy conditions and still get great shot's. Some say it's heavy I find it to be just right gives the camera a great feel. I would highly recommend this lens to anyone

May 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tanglefoot47 to your Buddy List
Spartan37

Registered: Dec 19, 2004
Review Date: Apr 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, IS, Solid Build, fast AF, L series Glass, Turned me into a photographer...LOL
Cons:
Heavy... however I knew that going in. I hate the placement of the buttons and the fact they dont snap into place.

I am a beginner compared to most in this forum; however I have to tell you if you shoot action sports you need this lens. I use this on my 20D and have shot basketball in gyms with "bad" lighting and still ended up with bright clear shots.

Auto Focus is fast, and shooting Hockey is a real treat because of this. Some times I only have 10 or 15 minutes to get a shot before moving on to the next event and I know with this lens I will get a keeper in that time if the play on the ice allows it.
I personally donít mind the colour of this lens, and as a matter of fact when I show up at sporting events they usually just wave me past the admission line guessing I must be a pro carrying this lens, it truly opens doors. (For the record I still pay if I am not there on a professional basis)

Lens is heavy and even though I was warned by reading several reviews, I wasnít ready for how heavy it really is.

The only thing I can truly say I dislike on this lens is the placement of the Lens buttons. Canon should really look at moving them because itís very easy to hit one and change it without knowing you have done so. I find I have to keep checking them after every burst I take. Short of moving them, they should have something to cover them.

I would say buying this can only help make you better no matter what level Photographer you are.

Apr 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Spartan37 to your Buddy List
jonbrach

Registered: Dec 22, 2004
Review Date: Apr 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,649.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness,focus speed,build...
Cons:
size,price

I owned the 70-200 4.0 and loved it but decided that I wanted the 2.8 and the IS...I also own the 24-70 2.8l and several primes....I am overwhelmed by this lens.I can literally shoot images that are excellent at 1/6 at times...sometimes im amazed when i look at them....in fact,i can shoot at slower shutter speeds with my 70-200 with IS than I can with my 24-70 2.8l....there is no question that the lens is big and heavy,but once you get used to it you take it for granted....it is expensive as well but so is a mercedes or a bmw......if you can afford it i recommend the lens as highly as i can.....

Apr 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jonbrach to your Buddy List
IraGraham

Registered: Oct 30, 2004
Review Date: Apr 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: This lens is solidly built. Lens quality is very good though not as sharp as a prime such as the Canon 135 2.0. Autofocus is fast. Focus accuracy is good though you need to be carefull when using it at 2.8.
Cons:
You will have to get used to the weight. Usually the camera contols the movement of the lens, with this lens the lens controls movement of the camera. It gives you an idea of how it feels to carry a heavy lens like you see on the sidelines at pro football games. I can't imagine what a 600mm lens feels like. That being said, I am a big strong man that doesn't have any problems dealing with a lens of this weight. This lens will also draw attention. People will assume you are a proffesional and will bombard you with silly questions and compliments on your nice equipment. This personally gets on my nerves when I am trying to be low key.

This lens is a great addition to my lens collection. It enables me to change lenses less as well as keep the image quality excellent. I try not to think about the cost. I realize many will not be able to justify $1600 for any lens. I really like to feel I have the best equipment when I am working, so this fits my needs as well as my customers.

Apr 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add IraGraham to your Buddy List
coachjohn

Registered: Oct 12, 2002
Review Date: Mar 31, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,765.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, optical quality, IS, build quality - darned close to the perfect short-to-medium focal length lens.
Cons:
Notice I said "close to perfect"....Canon, drop the price by about $300 and it would be.

It's been said time and time again...an incredibly sharp, incredibly well made, incredibly well-designed lens. The weight, at least for me, is truly not that big an issue; I shoot regularly with the 100-400 and if you're comfortable with that lens, you'll be comfortable with this one. The one caveat...the price. Too much more for the IS as opposed to the non-IS version. The one surprise...how much more noise the IS in the 70-200 makes compared to the IS in the 100-400. Something akin to a constant whirring sound when the shutter is half-depressed; not really annoying, just...different.

This is often mentioned as the most-used lens for many people. It's easy to see why.

Mar 31, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add coachjohn to your Buddy List
abargath

Registered: Jun 13, 2003
Location: Iceland
Review Date: Mar 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp at all apertures, good colours and contrast. Built like a tank and IS works like a charm after you learn how to use it.
Cons:
Doesnīt balance as well as the 24-70L on a 20D with a battery grip. Weight seems to be more to the front so if you plan on using this for hours you really need a monopod or tripod. Other than that, nothing.

Hardly the best lens value for $ but this thing is awesome... Everything you have heard about it is true. If you got this and the 24-70L you are pretty much set, there is really nothing I can imagine you canīt do with these in general photography.

Mar 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add abargath to your Buddy List
Tom_W

Registered: Jan 20, 2004
Review Date: Mar 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,645.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast AF, IS, sharp as a tack, well built
Cons:
expensive

This is a well-made, sharp, fast lens. It really hasn't exhibited any flaws in the months that I've owned it. Images are always sharp; contrast is excellent, focus is very fast, and the IS works wonderfully.

Not much else to say - the lens is excellent. Just wish it were less expensive.

Mar 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tom_W to your Buddy List
shotgun

Registered: Oct 16, 2003
Review Date: Mar 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp. Fast AF. IS. Constant f2.8
Cons:
Pricey, maybe a bit too heavy for some..(but hey, I'm combining photography and bodybuilding), IS button location.

Finally got this bad boy yesterday, and have been testing it the whole day today... and what an impression it gave me!!

Build quality is superb - typical to most Canon L, but this one feels more sturdy and great in your hand, focuses very fast and accurate. I would rate image sharpness as excellent for a zoom. At f8, I could hardy tell the diff at a glance between this and my 85mm f1.8 prime. The IS works great. To really test how far it could go I managed to shoot at 1/25 @ 200mm handheld with acceptable results! Outdoor portraits at f4.5/5.6 produced very sharp images with creamy-smooth bokeh in the background.

On the downside, yeah it's pricey but IMO it's worth every penny I paid for. This is some lens you would have for keeps. For some (or most) people it is heavy, but that's not a problem with me since I'm into bodybuilding as well. I have handled the 400mm and 600mm L's and this baby is small and light by comparisson! Balances right with the batt grip on a 20D. With the RRS (Really Right Stuff) flash-bracket installed, the whole package weighs like an anchor, but I can live with it Wink Oh and one more thing, the IS button is placed where it is easily switched ON/OFF by the thumb by accident. It could have been made stiffer or placed somewhere where it can't be accidentally operated. Well, it's no big deal anyway.

I would highly recommend this lens to anyone anytime. It is expensive but like I said, it's for keeps. I wish my 24-70 f2.8L had IS too Smile)

Cheers!

Mar 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add shotgun to your Buddy List
jbregar

Registered: Mar 17, 2004
Review Date: Mar 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp as a tack, fast AF, IS, excellent build quality
Cons:
It's not f/1.4 :), it's somewhat pricey, the lens hood scares small children and the elderly

Okay, first off... to all those who complain about how "large and heavy" this lens is... come ON. The 300/2.8 or 400/2.8 are large and heavy. This lens is EASILY hand-holdable by anyone who has even reasonable muscle tone in their upper body. You'd think this thing was a boat anchor for all the crying I hear about size/weight. I hike with this lens routinely and it's not a problem.

Now that that's said... this lens is gorgeous. The build and image quality are just simply stunning. I replaced a 70-200/4 with a Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM and then replaced the Sigma with this beauty. I have never regretted the purchase one bit. It feels weighty and solid in your hands, but not overly so. The AF is fast and definite (an improvement over the Sigma, which hunted badly). The images that come out of this lens are amazing at all apertures.

I shoot sports, some outdoors stuff, street photojournalism, weddings and concerts with this lens and it consistently impresses both myself and my clients with its color and sharpness.

I wish I could recommend it higher than just "yes"!

Mar 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jbregar to your Buddy List
Justanick

Registered: Jan 30, 2005
Review Date: Feb 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharpness and speed
Cons:
Weight

It is a real good lense with an amazing image quality.
The IS does itīs job and the AF ist fast enough for any kind of shooting.
On the other side it is really heavy and big.

For me, its just a begining of a long partnership. Wink

Feb 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Justanick to your Buddy List
J.D.

Registered: Nov 30, 2003
Review Date: Feb 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,595.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, very fast and accurate AF, IS, build quality and finish, depth of field effects, fast constant F2.8 aperture.
Cons:
Weight(!), cost.

Top quality lens at a rather high cost, especially given that the non-IS version is disproportionately cheaper. Very fast autofocussing and excellent IS make it an ideal medium-to-long telephoto for DSLR's. Constant F2.8 is a real standout and images look very good when wide open. This is a lens which must be handled carefully. Because it is so heavy, I would recommend that the lens alway be supported as the torque forces on the mount would be very significant if the whole package is handled only by the camera body. Even though I see this lens virtually every day of my working life, it still took me some time to get used to its size and weight.

For what it's worth, I have considerable experience shooting with stabilised lenses from helicopters; mainly the Schwem gyro-stabilised television lens but I have also shot with the Canon stabilised television lens. The stabiliser is not as effective as the Schwem but the picture quality is vastly superior; to the point where there is no comparison worth making. Compared to the Canon television lens, the 70-200mm's stabiliser has about the same level of effectiveness. This method of stabilisation is probably better suited to still photography than television pictures.

For anyone seriously considering this lens there is one thing which I think needs to be considered very carefully. This is, as I have said, a large and very heavy lens. There are plenty of other lenses on the market, including Canon's own 70-200 F4L, which are a lot lighter and more convenient to use. If portability is an issue then you should think very carefully about whether or not you need the features it offers. If you do then this one is the bomb.

Feb 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add J.D. to your Buddy List
doctordoom16

Registered: Dec 13, 2004
Review Date: Jan 31, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality superb, AF speed is quite and quick, balances well on 20D with battery grip, Sharp pictutes, IS.
Cons:
Takes some practice to get the sharp pictures that it is capable of getting, Very heavy (even more so than my 300f4), lense hood just does not seem like a good fit (I have had 2 copies and both needed a little effort). Some quality control issues.

I had problems with the first one I bought (IS stopped working and AF was slower than it should be) I exchanged it and no problems since. I will say that I have used almost all lenses at this focal length (Tokina 80-200, sigma, 70-200, canon 70-200 f2.8&f4, Nikon 80-200, nikon 70-200VR-before i swithced to canon). I really like this lense. I mostly use primes (135, 85, 50, 300) and i really like the convenience of fast glass with all these focal lengths. I will say that this lense will produce ultra sharp pictures (printed a 20x24 portrait), especially with freds sharpening plugin. It is built very well (Idid like the feel of the nikon 70-200VR better and the black finish). It balances well with the vertical grip on the 20D (too big without the grip). AF is fast and VR is fast to kick in (faster than the nikon). On a tripod, I can't tell the difference between this and the 70-200 f4 or the 70-200 canon w/o IS (It is sharper than the sigma to the naked eye). Off the tripod at shutter speeds below 250, this lense is sharper than non IS. The IS does make a difference (I have shot at 200mm at 1/60s with very good results). Below this i found softness, but still acceptable. Price is a bit high.

Jan 31, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add doctordoom16 to your Buddy List
pizznal

Registered: Dec 21, 2004
Review Date: Jan 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,749.99 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp wide open. Even shizzarper when stopped down one. Image Stabilization is the bizzomb...I wish my 24-70 L had IS.
Cons:

I just got this bad boy yesterday and I'm loving it. This is the bizzomb.....that's it and that's all.

Jan 29, 2005