Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

353 743014 May 9, 2014
ef70-200_28lisu_1_

Incorporating Canonís second generation Image Stabilization technology, this telephoto zoom responds in as little at 0.5 seconds, while providing up to three stops of correction for camera shake. Its AF system has been refined for better response time and tracking speed. And even the new 8-blade circular aperture offers a more pleasing out-of-focus image. Constructed to pro standards, this fast zoom is also highly resistant to dust and moisture, too.

discreet

Registered: Aug 31, 2004
Review Date: Aug 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Define the 1/focal rule of physics in photography
Cons:
Big and Expensive

I think the other stuff has been mentioned to death but let me point out the most amazing thing about this lens.... it defines the law of physics of photography.

If you look at the prime lens in the 70-200 range, only the 85mm and 135 are one stop faster. With IS you can go up to 3 stops "faster" meaning that you have "faster" lens than any of the primes out there. And it comes with additional DOF so you get a photo that has more DOF.

Also, this is a brainless lens. Set it to 1/125 and just fire away. Do not need to think about anything else. Makes low light concert photography a blast. I pair it with a 85/1.8 and I am also ready for 90% of the low light shoots i encounter where i cannot use a flash..

One thing i hate is that the switched on the lens are too sensitive. In particular the IS on/off switch and the AF/MF switich.. other than that... this is one lens where you can have your cake n eat it

Aug 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add discreet to your Buddy List
mjsutherland

Registered: Jun 13, 2005
Review Date: Aug 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent results
Cons:
Nil

Overall a perfect lense. Being white it is very conspicuous but this is an advantage for some paying clients as it looks expensive, obviously a disadvantage if you are trying to be inconspicuous. Results are consistently outstanding. It is easier to make good telephotos like this and canon are particularly good at it ( unlike wider angles, I am not so full of praise for the 24-70 L 2.8 I have ) but still it is simply the best lense of this class I have ever used. I also have the 1.4 extender and it does not compromise results, making the lense more versatile.

Aug 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mjsutherland to your Buddy List
blaven

Registered: Jul 11, 2005
Review Date: Aug 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast, usable IS
Cons:
Sore wrists - until you get used to the weight

Lots of things have been written about this lens. Iíve had mine for a month now and can confirm that it is all true. Heavy? Yes. Costly? Yes. Inconspicuous? No. You instantly forget all three as soon as you drool over your first set of images. Razor sharp, creamy bokeh, great IS. Simply awesome.

Aug 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add blaven to your Buddy List
TheAmateur

Registered: Sep 16, 2004
Review Date: Aug 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, solid, crisp
Cons:

Solid build, ofcourse it is an L lens.
Get focus fast in low light situations.
The IS option allow some flexibility in shooting at longer exposure then without the IS.

A bit noisy when in action with the IS on and use up power.
Price is the only draw back but I guess the quality of the lens makes up for the price

Aug 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TheAmateur to your Buddy List
kevin_stone

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Review Date: Aug 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid, Crisp, Fast, IS
Cons:

Price is the only drawback for this lens, I picked mine up and haven't put it down, the lens just oozes quality, clarity and the images are crystal clear, the IS is exceptional, I have very shaky hands, and have never been below 1/250th without a tripod, I can now take shots down to 1/50th, absolutely awesome, hardly have to lug my tripod around anymore, if you have the cash, get it, if you dont, get the cash, then get it.

Aug 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kevin_stone to your Buddy List
Pell

Registered: Apr 26, 2005
Review Date: Jul 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Fast, Quality. Perfect!
Cons:

I bought this lens second hand, which worried me due to quality control issues some companies seem to be having. (Looking in your direction Tamron).

I was VERY impressed when I got this lens. The image quality was better than my 70-200 F4, and the weight was a lot less worse then people make it out to be. The IS has only ONE negative, leaving you wanting MORE lenses with it! I wished all my fast lenses were IS now.

Otherwise this lens is simply perfect for that range. WIth a 1.4x extender, it makes it that much better!

I recommend this to anyone. Unfortunatly, the price will keep it out of the hands of the average person.

Jul 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Pell to your Buddy List
The Image

Registered: Dec 3, 2004
Review Date: Jul 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

incredible lens. sharp great af and IS performance, balances great on a 1 series cam. highly recommended

Jul 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add The Image to your Buddy List
Scubashootah

Registered: Mar 18, 2005
Review Date: Jul 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,560.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp wide open from 70-185, USM AF is super fast, SUPER DUPER environmental sealing!!
Cons:
A little birefringence throughout the aperture range, 185-200 a little less sharp wide open

Had one for 1.5 years then it was stolen. The new replacement performs as well except wide open from 185-200. The birefringence is also new but that's with the 1DII, which apparently has problems with a few lenses and birefringence.

Jul 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Scubashootah to your Buddy List
DEvianT

Registered: Jan 2, 2005
Review Date: Jul 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extreme Sharpness, Great Colour, Fast Focus, Image Stabalization, Silent, Great Handling.
Cons:
Weight, Price (Just for something to put...)

A superb lens. As sharp as my 50mm f/1.4 prime. Fast, quiet great handling (which compensates for the weight) and superlative results. Am using with a x1.4 Tele II convertor also. Gives great images with this also.

Have also managed to shoot sharp images handheld at 1/30th of a second with IS engaged. A ludicrously slow speed for a 200mm lens.

I'd recomend this wihout hesitation.

Jul 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add DEvianT to your Buddy List
20Dshooter

Registered: May 24, 2005
Location: Israel
Review Date: Jun 20, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,600.00

Pros: Everything it is touted to be!
Cons:
Huge and heavy, and of couurse, very expensive. The IS in my lens caused the infamous lock-up problems after 1/2 year usage.

Up until recently, I was a delighted owner of a superb lens. Everything positive you read about this lens was true. But then, the dreaded lock-up problems began. It is where, with the IS function engaged, the aperture reads "00," and then the camera locks up. I would need to remove then, replace the lens in order for the camera to resume working - but only without IS.

I now have a wonderful 70-200 2.8L non-IS, that I paid $1600 for. Had I wanted the non-IS version, I would have gotten the Sigma. I am really bummed. And because I need this lens, I can't afford the time it will be away at a repair center for.

Trouble with this lens is, that you can't test it for this problem after purchase like you'd test any other lens for it's own rumored problems. Anyone this has happened to, it has occured only a while after purchase.

So, should you decide you need IS, then good luck! The odds are quite likely low, but you never know, unfortunately. One would think that at this price, Canon could actually get it right...

Jun 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add 20Dshooter to your Buddy List
Hrow

Registered: Oct 18, 2004
Review Date: Jun 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: An absolutely incredible lens.
Cons:
Wish I didn't have to sell one of my kids to get it. Oh, well - saved on college tution!

Let's deal with the common complaints about this lens first...

1. It is heavy. It may be but it doesn' feel that way in use. Very well balanced.

2. It is white. I have no sympthy here, people knew it was white before they bought it.

3. It is expensive. It is but again people knew that before they bought it.

4. The IS switch is poorly located. It is. Reading the reviews I didn't understand why this would be a problem but after accidently turning my IS off without even noticing I now know.

On to the good stuff...

The sharpness of this lens is beyond outstanding. It is simply amazing and hard to believe this is a zoom.
The images have that wonderful "L" look to them; very lush and alive.
It is an easy lens to use, balances well and the IS is a dream.

This lens is going to be with me until I depart this earth and even then I may have it dropped in the box with me as you never know what photographic opportunities exist on the other side.

Jun 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Hrow to your Buddy List
20Dshooter

Registered: May 24, 2005
Location: Israel
Review Date: Jun 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 1

Pros:
Cons:

Jun 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add 20Dshooter to your Buddy List
milesd

Registered: Jun 9, 2005
Review Date: Jun 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: excellent sharpness, excellent colors, IS, fast and silent focusing
Cons:

I got this lens few days ago and I am still wondering about the amazing image quality. I can recommend this lens to everyone. It's worth every penny!

Jun 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add milesd to your Buddy List
GEvo

Registered: Jan 13, 2005
Review Date: Jun 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast focusing even with the 300D, Sharp, Great IS
Cons:
Long and Heavy

The 70-200 IS is about the best telephoto zoom you can ever get. Its sharp wide open, critical focus, excellent and efficient IS (1/30s consistent), and its a F2.8! It is definitely a great jump from my bundled 75-300 non-USM. Colour fringing is kept to a minimum, and contrast is just about the best I have seen. Another point is the bokeh. With its 8 blade circular aperture, the bokeh is smooth and creamy, although I have seen better on those fast telephoto primes, namely the 135L and 200/1.8L.

Although I think that this lens is quite costly (I am a Singaporean), it does serve the purpose well, during concerts and other stage work. This is my second L so far, the first being the 17-40. With these two lenses, its about every thing that you will need for general work.

Jun 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GEvo to your Buddy List
Buxheimer

Registered: Mar 17, 2005
Review Date: Jun 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: excellent build quality, excellent sharpness, fast focussing, great IS
Cons:

The best lens I ever owned. With IS it is inredible. Highly recommended to everybody who has to work with available light.

Jun 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Buxheimer to your Buddy List
evopanop

Registered: Apr 22, 2005
Review Date: May 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: WOW WOW WOW did I mention WOW it's fast, razor sharp and the IS is a life saver.
Cons:
A bit heavy until you get used to it.

I'm a real newbie to any photography. My 350D is the second camera I have ever owned, and I'll be 59 this year.

Ok on to this lens. When the package came I was excited to get it out of the box and try it out. Well I FREAKED OUT after taking 10 shots or so and loading them into my PC. They were blurry and the dof was almost nonexsitent. I thought OMG I just got it and broke it getting it out of the box. (I said I was a newbie didn't I?) Ok so a cocktail and some reading of the manual helped a lot. If you turn on the IS it actually works and taking pix of flowers at 200mm f2.8 from 3 feet tends to limit the dof a bit. Round 2 of pix were considerably better and the 2nd cocktail reduced my hand shudder too. Yes it took me a while to get used to this lens but when I did it's performance is breath taking. After a while I didn't even need the cocktails (kinda sad really).

I would recomend this lens to anyone. It's fast, crystal clear and just a lot of fun to shoot with.

Don T.

May 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add evopanop to your Buddy List

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM