Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

354 754186 Jul 16, 2015
ef70-200_28lisu_1_

Incorporating Canonís second generation Image Stabilization technology, this telephoto zoom responds in as little at 0.5 seconds, while providing up to three stops of correction for camera shake. Its AF system has been refined for better response time and tracking speed. And even the new 8-blade circular aperture offers a more pleasing out-of-focus image. Constructed to pro standards, this fast zoom is also highly resistant to dust and moisture, too.

dave chilvers

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Jan 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: This lens can be spectacular.
Cons:
Weight is the big problem

This lens is very good, it doesn`t let you down in any way, good colour,good contrast,good AF, good IS (when on my 1dsmk2)however I have started to carry my 135 f2 and 1.4 ext in it`s place because it attracts so much attention and I`m getting past it a bit:-) put the hood in place and it really is head turner. Take it to the ball game or zoo and no one takes any notice but get the heat pads ready for your arm and elbow joints for next morning. I suppose at the end of the day it isn`t fair to complain about the size and weight because that is the nature of the beast but just be aware that for photography in general the cons might outweigh the pros.
I got around the extra reach problem by using the Canon 70-300IS on my 20D, you get 300mm but keep in the better section of the focal range and use the sweet spot of the glass with the 480mm in reserve if needed.

Jan 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dave chilvers to your Buddy List
Roy Pertchik

Registered: Dec 4, 2004
Review Date: Jan 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, sharp, sharp, sharp.
Cons:
Big, heavy, expensive

Simply superb. It's so sharp it makes me giddy. Many things in the Canon DSLR experienc had to be gotten used to, for me over the last few years. But with this lens, Canon is very much redeemed in my mind. No compromise performance wide open, stopped down, at 70 at 200, with a 1.4 TC. Just astounds at every turn. My favorite set up has become: 5D and 20D with 17-40 and this 70-200 IS, a 1.4 TC, plus my 24 f1.4 for wide low light... just these few pieces gives me 17 to nearly 500mm at excelent quality level. At first I was worried if I could pull off such a long looking lens. In a little bit, I got over myself. It's worht doing so, because this lens gives back to you in quality.

Jan 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Roy Pertchik to your Buddy List
ubaudi

Registered: Jan 13, 2006
Review Date: Jan 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: f/2.8, IS, L series, quality, color & contrast, amazingly sharp plus the overall looks of the lens
Cons:
Price, looks a bit ostentatious, gets you a lot of comments from the crowd

Amazing Lens. Very fast, very sharp, excellent color and contrast.

I spent a lot of time reading the posts in this forum to help me decide about this very expensive lens. The overwhelming majority of the posts were positive enough to help me with the decision. I also use the 24-70 f2.8 L series USM lens but this one is much better. Everyone comments on the weight but I knew in advance and did not have a problem with it even though I am really old. This is by far the most I have ever spent on a lens but I believe you get what you pay for.

If you can afford this lens, buy it.

Jan 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ubaudi to your Buddy List
Peter Dhaeze

Registered: Jan 10, 2006
Review Date: Jan 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and fast.
Cons:
Non. Who cares about weight and size at this level of quality.

This is the best ever on my 20D.
AF is superfast. It is sharp from f/2.8 and from 70 to 200mm. This full-frame lens on my APS-C sensor gives the best of everything and its superb quality is only really reveiled when using RAW.

Jan 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Dhaeze to your Buddy List
WThiry

Registered: Jul 26, 2005
Review Date: Jan 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,689.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, weather seals, L Glass
Cons:
None, weight isn't an issue IMO, carry a 400 f/2.8, now that's a load

I usually don't post reviews, but I look at them alot to help point me in a direction, so I thought I would return the favor.
I bought this lens after it first came out, then sold it to finance purchase of a 200 f/1.8. Never should have sold it, OH sure, I love my 200 f/1.8 but could have found other way's to raise the money instead of selling the 70-200 IS. Anyway, after having owned the non IS version and now owning the IS version again, this lens is GREAT. Hand holding for indoor basketball, HS or College this lens rocks. The images are SUPER, try a normal HS Gym "sorry" lighting. Took it for a ride the other night, at ISO 1250 in AV mode, so I ended up with 1/160 or 1/200, yea I got some blur from motion of the players, but stationary shots or frozen jump shots at the peak of the jump were great. Next time I'm going to Manual mode. Like everybody says, if you can afford the extra $$$ for the IS, DO IT.

Jan 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add WThiry to your Buddy List
uz2work

Registered: Mar 3, 2004
Review Date: Jan 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: outstanding image quality, 2.8 aperture, IS
Cons:
relatively large size and weight

The 70-200/2.8 is, to me, about as good as a zoom can get.
The image quality that I get from the lens is not that much different than what I get from my 200/2.8 prime. Having IS makes the lens, in many situations, more usable than the prime. The only drawback to the lens is that it is, for a lens of this length, large and heavy.

Jan 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add uz2work to your Buddy List
Califfoto

Registered: Dec 18, 2005
Review Date: Jan 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Sharp, Fast
Cons:
Heavy

I borrowed this lens from a friend of mine. Really love the f2.8.
Has all the qualities of a L zoom Lens
Here's an example: http://califoto.my-expressions.com/archives/2186_1665899495/114534

As usual, click on the Comments tab to get the exif

Jan 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Califfoto to your Buddy List
lotisb

Registered: Dec 27, 2005
Review Date: Dec 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: f/2.8; IS; build quality; color & contrast; sharp!
Cons:
None that won't fall in the category of nit picking... Well, the hood is a bit obtrusive. With the hood you are SEEN, without the hood you are not that visible.

I have no problem walking around with this lens. Many have complained that it is a bit heavy, but really now... One of the main things I like is that I can shoot at speeds as slow as 1/50 @ full zoom and still get SHARP pictures, the IS is that amazing. This is the only lens I own that does not need tweaking beyond USM in PS. There is a slight learning curve but once you spend enough time to learn this lens you will not be disappointed. Paired with the 1.4x Extender decent range can be achieved. A sturdy tripod is necessary if you want to use one. I do wish Canon would have made a smaller lens hood. The thing is just TOO big.

Dec 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lotisb to your Buddy List
stelin

Registered: Dec 22, 2005
Review Date: Dec 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed of lens, speed of focus, sharpness, IS
Cons:
Weight and price

One word -- Awesome.
Given the price in the UK I swallowed many times, walked round the block, gulped and then nervously handed over the plastic. I haven't regretted it for a second since.

Dec 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add stelin to your Buddy List
Vadim

Registered: Dec 13, 2005
Review Date: Dec 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp lens, Beautiful color, Fast and very accurate AF, IS
Cons:
a bit heavy, white lens and a bit expensive (but worth it in my opinion)...

This was my second lens and bought it last year. It's an amazing lens and you will be very pleased with the shots you get with it. the F2.8 is really great to have and the bokeh is really nice.

You really need very little PS as the lens is really sharp !!!
Excellent lens to have

Dec 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Vadim to your Buddy List
Michael-M

Registered: Apr 21, 2002
Review Date: Dec 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SUPER Sharp!!! beautiful build and AF performance! IS works perfect.
Cons:
yes, i know want another 24-70f/2.8L

i'd gladly have paid more for this lens.
i've used my f/4 version for some time and as always, found it to be quite a challenge in low light levels.
after having such a poor time with my long gone 24-70, i believed that f/2.8 was just a useless aperture on these high end zooms........how wrong i am. i am so anal when it comes to buying my glass that i have to test at least 2 copies of a lens before i'll buy. i decided to try this lens and was expecting results at f/2.8 to be similar to the 24-70 i once had. let me tell you, when i got home and began viewing the images from the two copies i tried, i was blown away at what i saw at all zoom settings wide open from the one i selected. this is the sharpest lens i have used yet..........made me believe in the 24-70 again, and have since tested 3 copies of that lens as well...............so far, 1 is equal to my 70-200.

buy this lens and forget about primes in this range.

Dec 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Michael-M to your Buddy List
jmraso

Registered: May 25, 2004
Review Date: Dec 13, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Extremely sharp lens not being a prime. excellent color rendition. Built, confidence.
Cons:
None, honestlly.

Just another Canon master piece.

Very happy clients when I sell my work.

Jaime
www.jmraso.com

Dec 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jmraso to your Buddy List
Leehman

Registered: Mar 29, 2005
Review Date: Dec 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,525.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, Sharp, IS that works, dust protection.
Cons:
Heavy(but we know that) Price

I have been using this lens for five months before posting any comments.
I am very pleased with the operation and photos produced using the lens.

I was very concerned about the weight. Found I could use it all day without getting tired. (I think this is better then lifting at the gym).

Leehman

Dec 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Leehman to your Buddy List
jmraso

Registered: May 25, 2004
Review Date: Dec 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IS, sharpness, touch and the wonderful color rendition.
Cons:
none at the moment, honsetly.

I do recomend this lens to any one who want certain reach and donīt want a boring prime.

Excellent prints, never a complain from my clients.

Go for it.

Jaime
www.jmraso.com

Dec 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jmraso to your Buddy List
smac

Registered: Sep 28, 2004
Review Date: Dec 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,575.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp, great IS.
Cons:
good things come in big packages

The optical performance of this lens is spectacular. Sharp, excellent contrast, rich true color. The IS works flawlessly. I'm not as steady as I may have been once, so I upgraded to this from the 70-200mm f4 and am glad I did. It's a very fast handling lens and works well w/ TC. Go ahead, you only live once.

Dec 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add smac to your Buddy List
chancellor

Registered: Nov 29, 2005
Review Date: Dec 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast, built like a tank.
Cons:

As I finally got myself into DSLR photography, I decided to purchase a decent glass. I contemplated for a while about purchasing 28-300L, 24-70L, 28-135 and this baby.

28-300 fell off my radar due to push-pull (some people love it on 100-400L, but it just didn't do it for me). Also lack of rebate on it perhaps added another 10% to the decision.

24-70L - excellent glass and I imagine that I'll get it at some point once I really feel that there is a gap using my 70-200L IS.

28-135 - wasn't "L" though for the price, reputation and all-around zoom makes it a very attactive walk-around lens.

After reading reviews and looking at all the options in B&H, I made a call to go with this glass and have on the body all the time for a while. Let me tell you, this lens worth every penny. I have taken pictures indoor and outdoor and all are extremely sharp. As a matter of a fact, friend of mine who has a lot of high-end Canon glass, decided to add this to his collection after taking a few shots with it.

The built is phenomenal. I enjoy taking it out of the bag ieven if I'm not shooting just to appreciate the art of it.

Hope you found this useful.

Dec 3, 2005