Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

354 745753 Nov 12, 2014
ef70-200_28lisu_1_

Incorporating Canonís second generation Image Stabilization technology, this telephoto zoom responds in as little at 0.5 seconds, while providing up to three stops of correction for camera shake. Its AF system has been refined for better response time and tracking speed. And even the new 8-blade circular aperture offers a more pleasing out-of-focus image. Constructed to pro standards, this fast zoom is also highly resistant to dust and moisture, too.

jimdavies

Registered: Apr 5, 2005
Review Date: Apr 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP SHARP SHARP from even wide open - Not as heavy as I thought and superbly built - SHARP - IS - SHARP
Cons:
Costs a whack but as said before you get what you pay for

It's all been said before but I just wanted to add my praise of such a wonderful lens. I have the f4L too and this lens is WAY better! Sure it's bigger and heavier but I expected that and it's nowhere near as heavy as I thought it would be. I walked around Melbourne Zoo (while on holiday) for a whole day with this lens and found it a pleasure to handle.

It is so sharp (even at f2.8) it cuts my eyes looking at the prints! The IS is wonderful and can create some interesting creative effects when used. The capabilities of IS is worth the money alone I have 2 lenses with IS and would now struggle to do without it! Sharp shots at 1/15th (and even lower sometimes) is amazing for a 200mm lens.

Did I say this lens is sharp?

As I said above the lens is certainly big - and is bigger than any of my other lenses - but it's still easily handholdable pretty much all day (and I'm a pretty scrawny chap). A lot seem to suggest the size/weight as a downside! Well I feel that it's a plus as you know you have a quality bit of gear in your hand and you can have the confidence to know you will get great results.

With all that said, I actually had to return my first one as the zoom ring was VERY VERY stiff to turn. Had no problems from my retailer (Kerso on ebay) who took the lens back - no questions asked - and replaced with a brand new one.

This lens is superb and now I'm happy I get super sharp shots. I compared a shot (at f2.8) to my Tamron 28-75. there is no competition. I will now an Lcaholic and will only buy L glass.

Apr 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jimdavies to your Buddy List
vgopalk

Registered: Mar 2, 2006
Review Date: Apr 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00

Pros: Good Solid Lens
Cons:
Interference Banding ??

Hello all. I have some queries on this lens. I did rent the lens over the past weekend and shot 4-rolls. While waiting for the slides and prints to be processed, I was reading about "interference banding". (on the EOS-30D)

When and Why does this happen? More importantly, does the 70-200 IS / USM 2.8 suffer from "interference banding"?

Does this Interference banding applying to FILM cameras (or) Only digital SLRs ?

If indeed, this lens does suffer from "interference banding", are there ways to get around it? (Do I need to use it only with FILM SLRs and not Digital, shoot at certain speeds etc)

Since there are many of you who have used this lens for a long time, I was hoping for some clarity on this issue.

If it helps avoid clutter on this site, you can reply directly to me at 'vgopalk@hotmail.com'.

Thank You all.

Apr 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vgopalk to your Buddy List
HomeBrew

Registered: Mar 23, 2006
Review Date: Mar 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: So awesome..haha.. This is the fastest lens I own. It kicks major booty in almost any setting. I rarely have to add USM or any other color changes in CS2. Awesome fresh out of the cam. I love the moveable tri ring, it really helps with some of the weight issues. Built like a tank... I have superman size arms now from lugging it around.
Cons:
Notta..... Well, maybe $ filters

Did I say this lens is awesome? Well, it is!http://www.pbase.com/shabookie/image/55947635

Mar 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add HomeBrew to your Buddy List
sarahsboy18

Registered: Feb 12, 2006
Review Date: Mar 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp... I mean... Really sharp, even wide open! AF is lightning quick. IS is a lifesaver.
Cons:
Heavy... But what would you expect... When under low light the AF tends to hunt a little worse than some of my other lenses. Cost... But as many have said before you definitely get what you pay for and then some.

All I can say is WOW. I pulled it out of the box, slapped it onto my 350D, and instantly became a pro photographer! Smile OK, maybe not... But I will say it quickly became obvious to me why this is such a popular lens.

This thing is unbelievably sharp even at f/2.8 and it just gets better as you stop it down from there. I had actually been thinking about upgrading up to a better EOS camera instead of getting this lens because so many of my images seemed to be a little soft... But this lens quickly showed me the issue was the glass I was using and not my 350D. I'm glad I got it first!

The Image Stabilization does exactly what it is supposed to... I have personally been get clear pictures handheld with shutter speeds as low as 1/10th even at 200mm. The IS panning option is a great tool too. USM is nice but almost unnecessary due to the speed of the AF... It's extremely fast and accurate. As I mentioned above it does hunt some in low light.

Overall... This is one of the best Canon lens I have played with thus far and I highly recommend it.

Mar 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sarahsboy18 to your Buddy List
Danny Calhoun

Registered: Jul 7, 2005
Review Date: Mar 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Number of good shots(keepers) near 100%. Photos are sharp both on film and digital. Seams to work better in low light conditions than my 24/70 L 2.8
Cons:

This lens has been fun to use. performs exactly as canon said it would. The reviews on this site were right on the money.

I wish my other lenses were as sharp and clear as this one.

Mar 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Danny Calhoun to your Buddy List
jhunter91

Registered: May 25, 2005
Review Date: Mar 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast, very sharp, built like a tank.

Mar 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jhunter91 to your Buddy List
Rob_287

Registered: Oct 23, 2004
Review Date: Mar 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, build quality, handling, IS
Cons:

A true pro lens in every respect.

At f/2.8 it is very sharp, from f/4 onwards it is simply unbelieveable! The details that this lens can resolve when mounted on a decent tripod/head will take your breath away.

The IS is certainly very useful and very effective in a zoom of this focal length. It results in a lot more keepers than would normally be possible handheld.

Build quality is second to none, I have owned Nikon's 70-200 VR and both lenses are of equal build quality (and performance!). The Canon lens is certainly more attention grabbing though with its white colour.

The lens handles well with a nice zoom action, although you may need to rotate the tripod collar up to the top of the lens to hold it comfortably.

Overall this is a superb piece of kit that will repay the investment with lots of superb (sharp) images. Highly reccomended!

Mar 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rob_287 to your Buddy List
canonlight

Registered: Feb 26, 2006
Review Date: Feb 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent image quality, Sharp wide open (especially at 200mm), "IS" is a tremendous boon, USM/FTM makes AF fast and silent, Solid "L" build, Large focus ring, "Very Good" image quality with 1.4xTC when stopped down.
Cons:
Slight CA wide open, Pricy.
Feb 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add canonlight to your Buddy List
excelguru

Registered: Feb 20, 2006
Review Date: Feb 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: 1. Sharpness 2. Sharpness 3. Build quality 4. Image Stabilization 5. Did I mention it was sharp?
Cons:
...I'm thinking...

With 138 reviews (before mine) and an average rating of 9.6, what can I really add here that hasn't already been said?

Sharpness
No matter how many times I use this lens, I never cease to be amazed at how freaking sharp the results are. I'm tellin' ya... for a non-prime lens, this thing is freaking SHARP!

Image Stabilization (IS)
For me, IS is the most addictive feature of this lens. You'll soon find yourself wishing that all your lenses had IS. No joke, I have hand-held images taken at 1/15 that are tack sharp! I'm not even kidding. Talk about low-light capabilities!

Build Quality
When I bought mine, I was also lucky enough to acquire a "junked" one for free (it had been flooded and was beyond repair). So being the engineer that I am, I took the junked one apart. Completely. Upon doing so, I found out why these things cost what they do. The quality that goes into construction is beyond exceptional. It is truly an engineering marvel on the inside. I do not recommend disassembling one of these, by the way. No, I did not get it back together.

Feb 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add excelguru to your Buddy List
tqli07981

Registered: Jan 10, 2006
Review Date: Feb 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,925.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and Very sharp! IS works and build quality is impecable.
Cons:
Wish it could cost less!

Well, what can I say. It is very very good, that is for sure. It is very heavy, but I am getting used to it after a few days of use / practice. The lens itself looks beautiful as well thanks to the nice build quality. But I guess at this price point, it is a given. It is definately built to last. Now I understand why these lense can keep their value so well over the years.

Feb 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tqli07981 to your Buddy List
parks1510

Registered: Feb 10, 2006
Review Date: Feb 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,699.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding sharpness, better than many primes. IS, handhold to 1/10th of a second. Build. Almost all shots are keepers. Great Bokeh, too.
Cons:

Outstanding lens. Can handhold lens in many circumstances that would have required a tripod, before. I love it.

Feb 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add parks1510 to your Buddy List
elmac

Registered: Feb 4, 2006
Review Date: Feb 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IS, Color, Sharp
Cons:
Price :(

I was really hesitant when I was buying the beast, but after taking the first shot with it, it was worth every penny. This is my first L series lens, and will not be the last one.

Feb 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add elmac to your Buddy List
Mucho Betis

Registered: Dec 23, 2005
Review Date: Jan 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, colour, IS
Cons:
Weight but is not a problem for me

Recently "upgraded" my 70-200 2,8 to the IS version. My copy is extremely sharp even compared to my old one. Now I can take pictures that I never could have taken with my other lens.

The IS works great and the weight is not a problem when you check the results.

Highly recommend this lens, you really have what you pay for.

Jan 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mucho Betis to your Buddy List
dave chilvers

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Jan 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: This lens can be spectacular.
Cons:
Weight is the big problem

This lens is very good, it doesn`t let you down in any way, good colour,good contrast,good AF, good IS (when on my 1dsmk2)however I have started to carry my 135 f2 and 1.4 ext in it`s place because it attracts so much attention and I`m getting past it a bit:-) put the hood in place and it really is head turner. Take it to the ball game or zoo and no one takes any notice but get the heat pads ready for your arm and elbow joints for next morning. I suppose at the end of the day it isn`t fair to complain about the size and weight because that is the nature of the beast but just be aware that for photography in general the cons might outweigh the pros.
I got around the extra reach problem by using the Canon 70-300IS on my 20D, you get 300mm but keep in the better section of the focal range and use the sweet spot of the glass with the 480mm in reserve if needed.

Jan 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dave chilvers to your Buddy List
Roy Pertchik

Registered: Dec 4, 2004
Review Date: Jan 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, sharp, sharp, sharp.
Cons:
Big, heavy, expensive

Simply superb. It's so sharp it makes me giddy. Many things in the Canon DSLR experienc had to be gotten used to, for me over the last few years. But with this lens, Canon is very much redeemed in my mind. No compromise performance wide open, stopped down, at 70 at 200, with a 1.4 TC. Just astounds at every turn. My favorite set up has become: 5D and 20D with 17-40 and this 70-200 IS, a 1.4 TC, plus my 24 f1.4 for wide low light... just these few pieces gives me 17 to nearly 500mm at excelent quality level. At first I was worried if I could pull off such a long looking lens. In a little bit, I got over myself. It's worht doing so, because this lens gives back to you in quality.

Jan 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Roy Pertchik to your Buddy List
ubaudi

Registered: Jan 13, 2006
Review Date: Jan 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: f/2.8, IS, L series, quality, color & contrast, amazingly sharp plus the overall looks of the lens
Cons:
Price, looks a bit ostentatious, gets you a lot of comments from the crowd

Amazing Lens. Very fast, very sharp, excellent color and contrast.

I spent a lot of time reading the posts in this forum to help me decide about this very expensive lens. The overwhelming majority of the posts were positive enough to help me with the decision. I also use the 24-70 f2.8 L series USM lens but this one is much better. Everyone comments on the weight but I knew in advance and did not have a problem with it even though I am really old. This is by far the most I have ever spent on a lens but I believe you get what you pay for.

If you can afford this lens, buy it.

Jan 13, 2006