Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF AF-S

43 146490 Jun 1, 2014
1961NAS_180

ED glass element reduces chromatic aberrations providing superior optical performance - even at maximum aperture
Ideal mid-range zoom lens for architecture and portraiture. Fast maximum aperture for shooting in low light.
M/A switch for fast transitions from AF to manual focus
No power drain when manually focusing

ghamden

Registered: Aug 10, 2005
Review Date: Sep 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: So far excellent IQ good bokeh
Cons:
Pricey

I have only had this lens a few days so far it shows to be a keeper only complaint it is pricey

Sep 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ghamden to your Buddy List
Rick Lewis

Registered: Nov 19, 2006
Review Date: May 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,434.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality is superb. Image quality is outstanding. Very sharp, great contrast.
Cons:
A little heavy so if you are sensitive to that this lens is not for you.

I use this lens on a D200. It is a good match for the resolving power of the camera. I use it for street and portrait photography and love it.

The weight is very noticable. It's not called "The Beast" for nothing!...LOL It may not ballance well on a D80 or D40x. A Tamron may be better suited for the smaller cameras.

Image quality is superb. I am actually stunned at the quality. I did not believe a zoom could achieve this level of IQ. I highly recommend this lens to any serious amature. The pros have known about it for years.

May 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rick Lewis to your Buddy List
waterflyboy22

Registered: Jul 10, 2006
Review Date: Mar 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great colors, bokeh, sharpness. Very sturdy construction.
Cons:
A tad heavy, and it is expensive...

This is the long awaited partner to my 12-24 and 70-200VR.

It was a protracted debate with myself whether to get this lens or Nikon's great 17-55. Talk about a win-win situation! I ultimately chose this lens for it's slightly longer reach. I shoot lots of indoor sports and felt this would be more beneficial to my shooting needs.

It feels great on both my D2H and my D200. Wonderful images.

If you get this lens, you will be happy!

Mar 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add waterflyboy22 to your Buddy List
tanglefoot47

Registered: Oct 12, 2004
Review Date: Mar 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast AF great colors built like a tank
Cons:
Non so far except maybe the price

Wow what a nice lens I love it. I don't know what it is but this lens seems to pop. When i bought it I was concerned because I have heard it's like the Canon version. But no way this lens is better than the Canon version I owned. I can highly recommend

Mar 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tanglefoot47 to your Buddy List
Peter Choi

Registered: Sep 16, 2006
Review Date: Feb 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great bokeh, sharpness, build quality
Cons:
Gets heavy when shooting long events.

Great Lens, was my first pro level lens. It stays on my camera more than any other lens, and focuses extremely fast.

Very sharp, good bokeh, a little heavy (but hey you already expected that on a f/2.8 lens)

Feb 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Choi to your Buddy List
Bullhead

Registered: Feb 19, 2006
Review Date: Jan 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: I've only had this lens a week but I have been blown away by it's quality in both images that it produces and it's build quality. I already owned the Tokina 28-80mm ATX Pro which has been a great lens for me but this Nikon is in another league in terms of image quality,especially at F2.8 which is unbelievable ! It's an expensive lens for sure but it produces stunning images time after time in all conditions, a truely iconic zoom thats deserves it's legendary status !
Cons:
Price and weight, but thats it and to be truthfull if it was light we'd all be complaining about build quality wouldn't we so I don't even think that it's even a fair criticism, as for the expense,well you only get what you pay for as they say ! and boy is that true in camera lens !

If you want a lens that produces superb quality images in all imaginable circumstances this is it ! Expensive but if you want top quality images I'm afraid there's no other lens quite like it !
I've recently had chance to compare it to a friends new Canon 24-70mm on his 5D and the Nikon kills it ! Well done Nikon, a legendary lens.

Jan 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Bullhead to your Buddy List
StephanieC

Registered: Mar 22, 2006
Review Date: Aug 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast, silent, contrasty
Cons:
big and heavy, expensive

I wanted one of these for a long time before finally deciding to shell out the cash for it... It hasn't disappointed me. It's given me nothing but super crisp images with fantastic colour rendition.

I also tried to save a few bucks by purchasing the Tamron 28-75 2.8, but it just wasn't delivering the performance I had expected after seeing the reviews. I should have bought the Nikon first...

Aug 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add StephanieC to your Buddy List
Grognard

Registered: Jun 11, 2005
Review Date: Jun 25, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,450.00

Pros: Sharp
Cons:
Heavy

I cannot see my other review. Big, heavy, sharp lens, but I think my 24-120mm is just about as good, with a more usable focal range for me.

Jun 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Grognard to your Buddy List
Grognard

Registered: Jun 11, 2005
Review Date: Jun 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,450.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, fast f/2.8
Cons:
Heavy, expensive for what you get

I am disappointed in this lens. I had expected much, much more from it. However, my 24-120mm seems to be just as good, and more commensurate with my meager talents. Cost too much, and returns too little for the price.

Jun 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Grognard to your Buddy List
Fstr.

Registered: Jan 17, 2003
Review Date: Apr 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Rock solid build quality, superb performance, jazzy, you must be a pro looks.
Cons:
none.

I bought this lens a year ago and shot a wedding with it that same afternoon, loved it and now use it as my primary lens. It is all I had hoped it would be.

Apr 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fstr. to your Buddy List
FishFoto

Registered: Dec 7, 2003
Review Date: Mar 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, focus speed, build quality
Cons:
Weight, Price

I bought a Tokina 28-80 2.8 thinking I was clever and saving about $800. The first job I shot with the Tokina was also the last, it was about as sharp as a marshmallow. As soon as I returned from the job I brought the Tokina right back to the store and uptraded to the Nikon.
A studio which I do some location shooting for called me after I submitted a job, shot largely with this lens, to them; not usually a good sign!! The boss wanted to know what lens I shot the job with because he had never seen 35mm images as sharp and bright from an "auto" SLR: this from a guy who spends his time behind Hassleblads and 8X10 Sinars, and owns a couple of Leicas for playing with.
Need I say more?

Mar 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FishFoto to your Buddy List
timartin

Registered: Nov 18, 2005
Review Date: Nov 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,280.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazing glass. DX format boosts 70mm to DX crop equivalent of 105mm.
Cons:
Weighty and bulky. 28mm suffers a bit with DX sensor format. Large-ish filter size (77mm) means more expensive filters.

If you have read this far, then you are probably very interested in this lens. My suggestion is that you should save yourself the trouble, stop reading and just get your hands on this lens. It is a remarkable tool that you will never want to surrender.

Nov 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add timartin to your Buddy List
Idor

Registered: Aug 29, 2005
Review Date: Oct 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent Optics, Great Build
Cons:
Heavy and sometimes, the zoom ring is a little difficult to reach.

This is a wonderful Lens with Great Optics. the only 2 problems.... actually it should not be called Problems.... its more of a matter of getting used to... is that the zoom ring is a little small and sometimes, its difficult to reach for it. and the second annoyance is the weight of the lens... Other than that, This lens works great and is wonderfully built. I would certainly recommend this lens to everyone.

Oct 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Idor to your Buddy List
LarryFRCGP

Registered: Oct 4, 2005
Review Date: Oct 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tank built. Professional crinkled finish. Impeccable sharpness except@ 28mm f/2.8. Almost inaudible and instant focsing on F5/D2X.
Cons:
A bit heavy, a bit expensive

One of the three non-DX AF-S "Zoom Kings" of Nikon (17-35mm, 28-70mm, 70-200mm VR G). I bought it shortly after my 17-35mm AF-S despite I already owned the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 LD Xi macro (which is a legend in itself).

This lens has superb colour rendition and best sharpness @70mm f/5.6. The lens hood is very sturdy and impressive. Only complaint is its weight for its focal length, oh well, I guess good things doesn't come light. So be it.

For three times I thought of selling it to fund the ultimate Zoom (the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR-G), since I already have the Tamron, but three times I kept it in my bag. Ended up forking anothr 1.5 grand for the 70-200mm VR-G!

A keeper lens that can lasts forever.

IMHO,

Larry

Oct 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LarryFRCGP to your Buddy List
Corcovado

Registered: Aug 3, 2005
Review Date: Aug 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightning-fast and very accurate AF, excellent color and contrast, tack sharp shot after shot, f/2.8
Cons:
Big, heavy, expensive

An exceptional lens. Love the awesome AF speed and how responsive it feels. Image sharpness, color and contrast are all top-notch. Built to last
a lifetime. Its only competition in my lens collection is the 85 f/1.4.

If only it didn't draw so much attention with the hood on . . .

Aug 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Corcovado to your Buddy List
Bonedaddy

Registered: May 14, 2005
Review Date: Jun 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, Build Quality is Great, Great Range on digital
Cons:
Big...Heavy

I have used this lens on film and digital and actualy like it better on digital. Very fast focus and built to last a lifetime. I much prefer this to the 17-55 I tried. The 28-70 was not as sharp wide open, but was the same at f4 and much better beyond that. It is a great event lens.

Jun 21, 2005