Sigma 100-300mm f4 EX IF HSM APO

98 362280 Aug 26, 2012
9.2
100-300if_1_

Sigma 100-300mm f4 EX APO IF HSM is one of several EX-Series lenses. This telephoto zoom lens provides a large constant F4 maximum aperture at all focal lengths. The use of Apochromatic design and 4 SLD (The Special Low Dispersion) glass elements (two SLD glass elements are utilized in the front lens group and two in the rear group) for full correction of chromatic aberration and providing a high level of optical performance. The AF drive for Sigma SA, Canon and Nikon cameras is equipped with silent, responsive and high speed HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) as well as fulltime manual focus. A removable tripod mount is provided with the lens. This lens incorporates an internal focusing system, which eliminates front lens rotation, allowing the use of a Perfect Hood and easy to use circular polarizing filter. Since focusing and zooming do not change its overall length, this lens is easy to hold and use. It is also possible to use this lens with Sigma 1.4x EX and 2x EX Apo Tele Converters to make ultra tele-zoom lens. The lens materials used in this new lens are lead and arsenic free ecological glass.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7  next

jeskata

Registered: Jul 10, 2006
Review Date: May 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, bright, fast and silent AF. Good feeling of quality, perfectly stiff zoom and focus rings.
Cons:
Heavy, long (especially with the bucket-sized hood on). Tripod ring is in a strange position for hand-holding.

Bought second (third->) hand, upgrading from Canon EF 100-300/4.5-5.6 USM, mostly for nature and wildlife use on 1.6x crop.
When unpacking the lens, the length and weight kind of shocked me.

I have no complaints so far about the image quality. Focus is slightly faster than the ring USM on the Canon lens I am used to.

May 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jeskata to your Buddy List
Juan55

Registered: Sep 20, 2005
Review Date: Apr 24, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

The actual price for a brand new lens is around $1000-1100.

One guy did introduce $90.000 and the average price is overpriced as result.

Apr 24, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Juan55 to your Buddy List
BlueDemon

Registered: Mar 28, 2007
Review Date: Apr 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, EXcellent build quality, Supply's me with wonderful images.
Cons:
A wee touch soft at 300 wide open. Wnot fit in my lowpro slingshot.

I couldnt wait to get this lens and when it came i was very pleased with its performance and feel. I spent 6 months saving my pennys and researching Tele lens's before i commited to buy and i am glad i did.

The build quality is very good and the zoom ring and focus feel nice and firm yet easy to move, although zooming with the tripod collar on was a bit of a no no. I especially like the EX finish.

I only obtained mine 4 weeks ago and have used it at brands hatch at the opening seasonal race of touring cars and a day at whipsnade animal zoo. It didnt let me down. The only thing that let me down was me. The shots i grabbed that day where of mag quality and for this aspect of photography with my D200 the 100-300mm was fantastic. It didn't let me down at at all. But i do have to say that at the 300 end wide open the sharpness drops ever ever so slightly but for 400-500 pounds for this build and quality you have to be happy. I am.

Apr 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add BlueDemon to your Buddy List
Brian Huffman

Registered: Mar 2, 2007
Review Date: Apr 8, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp - High Quality Build
Cons:
Too Heavy

As the previous poster pointed out, big lens. Borrowed from a friend for a day. Got great shots but it was too big for me to carry around.

I thought the build quality was better than Canon L, I have the 17-40 and wife has 70-200, and this seems better build. Also like the fact that it was black. Come on Canon enough with the UGLY white lenses.

Image wise though, and that is what counts, this lens will deliver.

Apr 8, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Brian Huffman to your Buddy List
nickminers

Registered: May 17, 2005
Review Date: Apr 2, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: f/4, speed, image sharpness
Cons:
Heavy but I can live with that!

Much much bigger than I was expecting but then if I'd done basic maths (300mm / 4 = 75mm) I'd have expected something bigger! Very pleased with the purchase, amazingly sharp images and the AF is so quick and quiet. Quick release on the tripod holder is a real help.

Apr 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nickminers to your Buddy List
krpatel55

Registered: Dec 16, 2004
Review Date: Mar 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $799.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, Fast Focusing (HSM), Good Tripod Collar, Very Sharp open at F4, Constant F4 100-300.
Cons:
Hard to hand held

I was looking lens for my African Safari and consider Nikon 80-400, but first it does not have AF-S also it is variable aperture.

So I start looking in lenses 100-300 range and read very good review here at FM and other sites.

This lens is very sharp Open at F4. Please see the images below

Above two images taken hand held.

Also Focusing is very fast, comparable to my Nikon AF-S lenses.

Mar 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add krpatel55 to your Buddy List
sqjaw

Registered: Jan 20, 2006
Review Date: Mar 31, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $800.00

Pros: Lives up to its reputation, and thats based on what has been writen about it by others, Not sigma !
Cons:
The darn Tripod Mount to small to hand hold the lens

I've used this lens now for about two months and I am glad I bought , Being a canon user It sure beats paying canon Prices for their L' lens and I think a lot canon user's should consider use-ing other brand lens because they have come a long way since they began make-ing canon mount lens, More so with Sigma and Tamron! If you do your home work on this lens And check out the MTF charts on it and on the 100-400mm canon L-lens you find they are very close in output:
Sure It would be nice that if it had [ OS ] optical stabalizing
but then that would add to the price and then maybe Not?
Yes I am Happy with this purchase:

Mar 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sqjaw to your Buddy List
sqjaw

Registered: Jan 20, 2006
Review Date: Mar 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $799.99 | Rating: 9

Pros: A constant F4 lens thru 100-300mm Sigma ex/hsm/if/apo/dg
Cons:
getting use to it , not as heavy as the 80-400mm sigma lens about one pound lighter?

I had the 80-400mm os/ex/hsm/etc found I did not use it was a little to heavy for me and to me the OS was not what I expected , I guess it was just me: But this 100-300mm sigma if/dg/ex/hsm/apo is great for me and it noce with a 1x4 lens converter I find the sharpness hold real good on what I have shot with it: will be getting the 2x converter for it so I can shot bird's and wild life with it!

Mar 14, 2007
Nezza

Registered: Nov 24, 2005
Review Date: Mar 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality. F4 aperture.
Cons:
Weight. No IS.

Excellent quality zoom lens with a constant F4 aperture throughout the range. Images are sharp at all apertures. On the minus side the lens lacks IS and is a bit heavy, but it handles well.

Mar 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nezza to your Buddy List
postcardcv

Registered: Feb 27, 2007
Review Date: Mar 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: fast AF, constant f4, good MF, easy to handhold
Cons:
AF slows noticeably when using a 1.4x tc

I got this lens about a year ago to use along side my 500mm, as I wanted a good lens with a good close focus.

The lens feels great in the hand, zoom ring is easy to use while panning as is the large focus ring. The AF is fast and true, I often use this lens for shooting birds in flight and find it tracks very well. The lens takes a 1.4x tc well (becoming a 140-420 f5.6) though the AF is noticably slower. The lens delivers useably sharp shots wide open, though is better at f8 (which is what I tend to use it at).

This is a great short telephoto zoom and offers great value for money, it makes a good biridng lens, expecially if you also carry a 1.4x tc. Defintely better than the 170-500 that I used to use, though a bit more money too.

Mar 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add postcardcv to your Buddy List
rebelxtnewbie

Registered: Jun 19, 2006
Review Date: Jan 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $625.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: build, image quality, included accessories (hood, tripod mount, solid padded case), tripod collar removable without take off the lens!!
Cons:
contrast drops when paired with a sigma 1.4x tc, heavy

That was one of my favorite lens and the only reason I got ride of it was because I wanted to have IS.

It was very sharp and had good contrast. The HSM motor was fast and silent, it was even quieter than my 70-200 f2.8!! Build quality was excellent. No problems with paint chipping. I like how you can remove the tripod collar without detaching the lens. The included padded case (like in all the sigmas I've purchased to this point) was awesome.

The only downside to it was when I used a Sigma 1.4 TC the contrast suffered some loss. Still good enough and a quick fix in PS helps. It's a bit heavy and long (size wise not focal length) for me so I had trouble with camera shake hence the change to IS. Great lens for a bargin price!

Jan 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rebelxtnewbie to your Buddy List

Review Date: Dec 14, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

To hitek79, I am typing real slow so you can understand.
As I stated in the other post, I don't know what happened.
I did not post $90,000. I posted $900.00. Maybe the managers, can fix it. And do something about you, while they are at it.

Dec 14, 2006
hitek79

Registered: Dec 8, 2005
Review Date: Dec 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: not a review
Cons:
not a review

to the dumbass below me. you writing 90,000 dollars for your price has messed up the average price for the people that put real prices and aren't trying to be jackasses.

Dec 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hitek79 to your Buddy List

Review Date: Dec 9, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

The price I paid was, $900.00. Not $90,000.00.
I don't know waht happened there, lol

Dec 9, 2006

Review Date: Dec 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $90,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: speed, sharpness, color, contrast
Cons:
lens cap

I bought this lens in October of this year. The only complaint I have is the front lens cap, it just does not fit tight enough. But with the hood on, it's almost impossible to get it on. So I bought a "hood hat" from b&h. Problem solved.

This lens is not soft, it is very sharp all thru the focal lenght. It handles a 1.4 converter great.

The weight doesn't bother me, I can hand hold up to 300m and get great results. But a monopod or a tripod is a plus.

Compared to a Canon 70-200 f/4L, that i used. Build of the Sigma is equal or better, AF speed is too close call. IQ of the Sigma is beter. Really both are great lens. But the Sigma comes with tripod mount, lens hood, and a very nice case.
The extra 100m is great for wildlife !

This is a great lens. I highly recommend it !

Dec 1, 2006
EveningSky

Registered: Feb 6, 2006
Review Date: Nov 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: High quality, well built lens, at an excellent price.
Cons:
Heavy, large.

I cannot compare to a Canon or other lens.
I do recognize quality optics.
I find this a very well built quality lens at a very competitive price point.
For me, perhaps time to invest in more massive tripod system.
Especially at higher mm, this is not a lens to handhold.

Nov 23, 2006