Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX APO IF HSM

153 554574 Jan 21, 2012
05_03_1_

Sigma's new Hyper Sonic Motors (H.S.M.) provide silent, responsive autofocus action with Canon, Sigma, and now Nikon AF cameras.
H.S.M. also permits manual adjustment of focus without the necessity of switching off the autofocus function.
Focus Free mechanism keeps the manual focus ring from spinning when the camera is autofocusing.
This new lens features apochromatic optical design and four elements composed of Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass for high image contrast, resolution and color saturation.
The front barrel does not rotate during focusing, due to internal focusing system.
Internal zooming mechanism allows the lens length to remain constant during zooming.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10  next

sivrajbm

Registered: Mar 15, 2005
Review Date: Dec 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $713.15 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, Sharp focus, excellent color, sturdy construction, tracks well on my 20D. Did I mention FAST....
Cons:

This is my first Sigma lense.
It is everything some said and more.
I rented the Canon & Sigma to test. Guess which one I kept.
I love the speed and sharpness of this lense.
My copy is a match for the Canon I rented recently.
If you are in the market and don't have or don't want to spend more this lense is the bomb. The 120-300/2.8 is excellent also. I'll look at more Sigma's in addition to the Tamron's in the Future.

Happy New Year to all....

Dec 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sivrajbm to your Buddy List
jpegram

Registered: Mar 11, 2005
Review Date: Dec 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $749.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: DG version: Clear, excellent bokeh, color is stunning all across the board, no vignetting on any shots, contrast is really good, fast focus, indoor/outdoor use makes it a real incredible lens
Cons:
Weight, once in a while it may hunt if you are panning, but it lasts only a split second.

I had been working toward getting a Canon 70-200L nonIS. So everything I read was based on that lens. Then at the last sec, this lens grabbed my attention and was within my $$$ range. So I got it. Boy was I in for a treat. After getting used to the weight, and it is heavy, I attached my mono, and started to find some shots. I have now run off 500 shots in the last 6 days. Indoors or out, the lens performs incredibly.

I shot a boys basketball game. No flash. 500/2.8 almost all the way thru. Buttuh! I had only one shot go bad and that was due to OE. I moved. Got some great shots of the action, steals, ball shots...you name it. Did a kids christmas party. Close ups were great. I could sit on a chair and just let the kids be themselves. Magic.

Went outside at the horse barn and shot some horses. You want clarity, you want color, you want quickness? This is it.

I may look harder at a Sigma prime after this experience. I was looking into the 300L...I might change my mind.

Dec 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jpegram to your Buddy List
recordproducti

Registered: Jul 11, 2005
Review Date: Dec 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast focus, great build, tripod mount included, superb bokeh, great contrast and colours.
Cons:
It's a bit heavy.

I'd wanted one of these for ages and am so pleased that I eventually got one. I was a bit surprised at the weight and size compared with the Canon F4 70-200 and started to have doubts about having made the right choice at first but after taking it out and about a few times I know that it will not be up for sale. I got the Sima used for about the price I could have got a new f4 Canon.

My copy gives superb results even at f/2.8, it focuses fast and find that image quality blows away my Canon 50mm f/1.4. I'd say that if you compared the difference with say the Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 and the 50 f/1.4, the Sigma is as good again. Maybe I have been lucky but this Sigma is stunning. I compared it with a Canon f4 70-200L and couldn't really find any fault with the Sigma, it seems to have a smoother image.

Downsides? The Canon f4 lets you focus closer and the Canon is smaller and lighter.

The 2.8 is great in lowish light work and is a great lens, well worth the money and a great addition to the camera bag!

Dec 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add recordproducti to your Buddy List
eric_j_h

Registered: Dec 4, 2005
Review Date: Dec 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $690.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp wide open, fast auto focus, well built
Cons:
none really

Much better than the Canon 70-200 F4 L I tried. Latest model is extremely well made, with an easily removeable tripod collar (clever design). Fast, quiet autofocus, but not quite silent focusing like my 24-70 F2.8 USM lens. Good contrast and colour. I highly recommend this lens unless an IS lens is important to you (at about 2-3 times the cost). Sigma have improved considerably since I bought one of their lenses a few years ago.

Dec 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add eric_j_h to your Buddy List
mal233

Registered: Aug 15, 2004
Review Date: Nov 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp. excellent build quality. quick focus. very smooth working.
Cons:
not

I tried it against my primes on a tripod. I keep a lens database of all my lenses and shoot them in nearly the same setting in front of my house against bushes with color and pattern. This lens is as good across the board as my 50, 85 or 200L, but all in one package. Real live photos have been great. For $750 less I could not justify the Canon 2.8 version with IS. Both are heavy and for me usually end up on a tripod.

Nov 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mal233 to your Buddy List
mshill

Registered: Oct 27, 2005
Review Date: Nov 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $670.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp optical performance throughout the focal range, Fast F2.8, Price. I love the look and feel of the EX finish on this product.
Cons:
Just a bit soft at 70mm/F2.8 but you have to look real close to see it. The (free) tripod mount foot is right under the zoom ring (just an inconvenience).

Just got it today and shot about 100 frames with it. I actually setup a test shot and took about 50 frames with my Canon 50/1.8, Canon 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS USM, and this Sigma APO 70-200/2.8 EX at numerous aperatures. I framed the test shot the same for all focal lengths (50mm, 70mm, 100mm, 135mm, and 200mm) so the image on the 350D sensor would all be nearly the same.

I was surprised at how well the big zoom held up in optical quality to the 50mm prime in all cases except at 70mm/2.8. Even at 200mm the Sigma was just as sharp or sharper than the 50mm prime at 2.8, 3.5, 4.0, and 5.6 aperature settings.

I am shooting a family portrait in two days. I will again be using all three lenses in the shoot so I will hopefully be able to get some more shots with this lens.

Nov 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mshill to your Buddy List
thebeephaha

Registered: Oct 28, 2004
Review Date: Nov 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast 2.8 aperature and sharp wide open, good bokeh and dof, not to bulky in size, fast and quiet focusing on a pro body cam.
Cons:
Stiff zoom ring, heavy, cheapish feeling hood and front cap, focus not very good on my d70 but acceptable.

I like this lens alot, I got it used for $600 in mint cond. I am very happy with it. I like it much better than my schools Nikkor 80-200 2.8 (two touch non af-s), but the Nikkor AF-S version is better, for the money though the Sigma is very hard to beat.

Nov 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add thebeephaha to your Buddy List
wino

Registered: Oct 26, 2005
Review Date: Oct 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

I dont have a review but I do have a question. Most of these reviews are from digital slr shooters. Anyone have a review an this lens that still shoots film. Thanks

Oct 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wino to your Buddy List
PaulRobin

Registered: Oct 20, 2005
Review Date: Oct 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: I adore it, generous, fast piqué, handy, a superb zoom 2.8 which does not have great a deal to envy the models Canon or Nikon...
Cons:

Oct 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PaulRobin to your Buddy List
Thang

Registered: Jan 25, 2004
Review Date: Oct 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp at f/3.2 and "up". AF is quiet and smooth. Built quality is superb. The black finish is just awesome. It matches well with my 1DII.
Cons:
Future compatibility with Canon DSLRs?

I am not a big fan of Sigma. But I just picked up this lens recently over at the Buy and Used forum due to the price. It's a DG version so the built quality and the finish are just superb. The images from this lens are tack sharp. For the price I paid, I am a happy shooter. I haven't tried this with the TCs yet. I am hoping it will be as good with the 1.4x TC. It balances well with my 1DII.

I also have the Canon 70-200 f/4L and they are both equally sharp. I am having a hard time in deciding which to keep. I also have the 120-300 2.8 on order and hopefully, that lens will help me in making a decision.

Oct 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Thang to your Buddy List
gtivr4

Registered: Jun 16, 2003
Review Date: Oct 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: fast, cheap, quick focusing
Cons:

Can't think of anything wrong with it. An excellent overall lens, sharp, fast, cheap. Was a bit stiff when new, but soon grew out of that.

Oct 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gtivr4 to your Buddy List
amarko5

Registered: Oct 3, 2005
Review Date: Oct 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed of hsm on action shots, nice feel, f2.8
Cons:
none that i can think of

having used this lens for over a year now.

it has never given me any cause for concern, shots are pin sharp and contrasty throughout the entire range.

the speed of focus on fast moving subjects (mainly motorcycles in my case) is astounding resulting in 90% keepers.

I shoot mainly at 1/250th iso 100 f stops range from 2.8 to 8 or so, to keep the appearance of speed and motion blur of the background mainly paning shots at 90 degrees or 30 degrees.

have a peek at my website http://www.hartsidepics.com

Oct 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add amarko5 to your Buddy List
Eiko

Registered: Aug 16, 2005
Review Date: Sep 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $739.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build, Image Quality, Price
Cons:
As expected, heavy

I bought this lens due to the reccomendations here and of a friend (Hey Chili!). I didn't rate it a 10; I'll assume there is something out there that's better, but I'm sure a lot more $.

BLOWN AWAY. Plain and simple, this thing is fast and TACK sharp! There is no way I could justify spending double for a white lens. Bokeh is silky smooth. (first test shot here: http://dirtrider.net/images/flower1a.jpg ). I can't wait to get some motoX with this thing.

Get one.

Sep 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Eiko to your Buddy List
Andrew Villa

Registered: Jun 20, 2004
Review Date: Sep 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $739.99 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great Bokeh f2.8
Cons:
none considering the price

Good lens, fast AF, beautiful Bokeh.

I bought this because i didnt have the funds for a 70-200 f2.8L and im glad i made the choice to buy this one.

its a fantastic lens for the price and would reccomend it to anyone especially if you are a student, you cant go wrong with this.

Sep 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Andrew Villa to your Buddy List
strausshouse

Registered: Jul 11, 2005
Review Date: Sep 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $738.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quick AF, Price, Handholdable
Cons:

Great Lens, Quick AF. Never compared it to the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 but would guess it would hold it's own. Great lens for the price. Would definately reccomend it.

Sep 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add strausshouse to your Buddy List
ghamden

Registered: Aug 10, 2005
Review Date: Aug 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $739.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent lens good quality great picture quality
Cons:
Mounting ring in way of zoom control but esy fix just reverse mount problem solved

I just recieved this lens in my humble opinion excellent all the way around. Focus is very good and quite. Hopefully sigma will make other lens of this grade at their great pricing.

Aug 25, 2005