Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 EX Aspherical DF

28 170213 Jul 7, 2010
8.5
28_70df_1_

SIGMA 28-70mm f2.8 EX Aspherical DF is one of several EX-Series lenses. It combines a fast, constant f2.8 maximum aperture with a popular range of focal lengths from 28mm wide-angle to 70mm medium range telephoto with an upgraded design. It is the world's smallest 28-70mm f2.8 zoom lens. The lens also incorporates a dual focus mechanism. It is easy to hold the lens, since the focusing ring does not rotate during auto-focusing and yet provides adequate focusing torque of the focusing ring during manual focusing of the lens. Helical focus system of the lens eliminates front lens rotation, thus allowing the use of a Perfect Hood and easy to use polarizing filters. It incorporates 2 aspherical lenses in the front and rear lens groups, provides high performance and superior optical quality. Minimum focusing distance is 40cm/15.7inches at all focal lengths. Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 EX Aspherical DF is equipped with a Perfect Hood to prevent extraneous harmful light for image quality. The lens materials used in this new lens are lead and arsenic free ecological glass.

Page:  1 · 2  next

Sheriar

Registered: Jul 7, 2010
Location: India
Review Date: Jul 7, 2010 Recommend? no | Price paid: $450.00

Pros:
Cons:

Hi all.

I am actually looking for some guidance on this lens. I bought it a few weeks ago as an upgrade for my kits lens (AF-S 18-135mm Nikkor f/3.5-5.6G ED DX) on my Nikon D80. While the overall results are better, I'm facing the following problems that I'm unable to understand or overcome.

Problem 1: Exposure

A. Most of my shots are underexposed by an average of 1/2 to 1 spot. And this becomes worse with higher-contrast shots. To correct it I have to use a +ve EV (of usually 0.3 to 0.7, but often even 1.0), which means I lose about a spot in speed. I use the TTL matrix exposure reading setting in my camera (Nikon D80).
B. This underexposure is also prevalent while using flash (Nikon SB-600). Again trial and error has led me to have to set the flash's EV at +1.3 to +1.7 to get the correct exposure. Again I use the TTL matrix exposure reading setting in my camera.

I have not faced this problem with my NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR2 lens which I have been using for over a year now. Thus, I'm wondering if there is a software compatibility issue btwn my Sigma lens and D80 body? Or am I just using it wrong?

BTW, I did get significantly better images by using manual settings of aperature and shutter; but this is NOT what I want to be doing for every shot all the time.

Problem 2: Strong chromatic aberation (CA) in the over-exposed areas of the shot.

Is this how this lens is? Or am I doing somethg wrong here? Is it linked to my "Problem 1: Exposure" above?

I've had limited experience of abt 3 yrs in using SLRs, so any guidance wd be appreciated. Thks in advance.

Jul 7, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sheriar to your Buddy List
nb_ken

Registered: Feb 11, 2010
Review Date: Apr 30, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Fast, Cheap, Crisp
Cons:
Weighs more than a Martini (with olive)

I traded an 'L' lens in a similar focal length for a 300 f/4 and I wanted something cheap to backfill this range. Found this Sigma on Craigslist.

Reviews said it was loud and heavy and the AF was slow. Made sure I pointed that out to the seller. He knocked $50 off an already-fair price.

Got it home and started using it. Loud, heavy, slow? Compared to what?

If USM is silent, the Sigma AF is all but silent. I'm no doctor (I just play one on the internet), but if you find this objectionable, you might consider medical attention. The sound of a shutter firing may trigger an aneurysm.

It weighs about the same as a Bud Tallboy -- which is always welcome and comfortable in my hand.

With AF speed, faster is always better. But unless you're a Paparazzo after that quick, sharp glimpse of JLo's underthings, the AF here, on a lens of this FL, should be more than adequate.

I've yet to shoot any test charts or parts of $5 bills with this lens so I can't comment on that. But I do own some lenses that, when I pass prints around, I have to watch the kids so they don't poke their eyes with the sharp images. This isn't one of those lenses.

I have found, though, that I've used it more than I thought I would for shooting actual things -- like you'd find in the wild. For that kind of work, considering the price, it's a pretty nice lens. I'd recommend it.

Apr 30, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nb_ken to your Buddy List
palamudin

Registered: Feb 4, 2008
Location: Croatia
Review Date: Feb 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: overall quality
Cons:
nothing i can point at

I can't understand ppl comparing this lens with L grade or nikkor top of the line products.... and when u do u say Image Quality is near BUT quality of build, softnes in corners (compared to 1,5k lenses) and stuf like that....
Yes it is heavy and yes it is noisy.. I DONT MIND i have perfeclty usable images in low light conditions AND it is superb for potrets stoped at f8....
Please consider when comparing lenses payed PRICE and IQ..
If u do not have 1k euros dollars or pounds lying around consider buing this lens.. i do fotojournalism with it and never got a bad comment for a published pic....

Sry if there were errors in my english but it's not my spoken language...

Have a nice day

Feb 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add palamudin to your Buddy List
marty01_uk

Registered: Aug 15, 2006
Review Date: Jan 16, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: cheap image quality
Cons:
build noisy af

This is a decent enough lens. Build and image quality not as good as the canon 28-70L but neither is the price. Image quality is not too far behind the the canon and the build feels quite solid.

The problem is its not as good as some of the other 3rd party lenses in this price bracket and zoom range, notably the Tokina at-x 287 pro sv which is a 28-70 with a constant f2.8. The tokina has better build quality whisper quite focusing and image quality is about the same but maybe a little more contrast.

Jan 16, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add marty01_uk to your Buddy List
a123

Registered: Jan 18, 2006
Review Date: Jul 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $185.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent build, great color and very sharp! Love the focus ring!
Cons:
A bit heavy, LARGE filter size.

I absolutely LOVE this lens, great colors, great contrast, very sharp and focuses fine. Image quality is comparable to my 50mm 1.8 and was better than my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8.

I think the focus ring is genius! You pull it up to use MF, down to use AF. When it's int he AF, the ring turns free without affecting the focus, so if you tend (as I do..) to turn the focus ring by mistake, you aren't turning against the AF motor.

The lens looks and feels VERY solid, it's a bit big and heavy. The lens element only comes out a very small amount when you zoom. It's build is similar to Canon's L lenses in looks and feel.

Great image quality. For the price these are going for, you can't beat it! HIGHLY recommended!

Jul 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add a123 to your Buddy List
Andrew Cooper

Registered: May 2, 2007
Review Date: May 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $240.00 | Rating: 8

Pros:
Cons:

I love this lens. However, today i took it out to take some photos, and the focus ring binds up around 2 feet. It will not focus on anything closer than 2 feet. It feels like something is causing it to bind, but it worked last weekend, sat in my bag with all my other gear that works fine, and now it sticks. Anyone else experience something like this? Any help would be appreciated.

May 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Andrew Cooper to your Buddy List
freddyb

Registered: Apr 9, 2005
Review Date: Apr 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $265.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: fast for the money
Cons:
AF motor can go out.....and its noisey..contrast is low

I purchased this lense from KEH and oddly enough since it was out of warranty I had them fix the autofocus motor. Since then its been a pretty good lens. I have gotten some pretty sharp images

Apr 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add freddyb to your Buddy List
jamesdodd

Registered: Aug 15, 2006
Review Date: Feb 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, F2.8, nice zoom range, build quality, 77mm filter thread instead of 82mm :D
Cons:
slightly noisy AF, a little soft wide open, slight vignetting on a full frame 28-35mm, manual focus switch

I paid 150 for this lens, well 129 if you discount the postage and packaging and the UV filter I got with it.
Which is just amazingly good value, it was second hand but came with a 6 month warranty.

Its great, I use it for when switching between primes is a hassle.
it is a little on the soft side when wide open, but it isn't hugely soft, just not L quality, but this is something I didn't expect (tho I did expect the worse).

The only problem is the autofocus.
Its slightly noise (since its not HSM, this was expected), its about 70% accurate IMO, but its no let down. Not great in low light, but better than most.
The switch is a little annoying, but no biggie. I got used to it withing a minute or so!

It extends to its widest point so at 28mm its at the longest measurements, shortest at about 60mm and slightly extends towards 70.

It extends while focusing (doesn't rotate), but doesn't extend much (around 1CM).

The 77mm filter thread is a nice touch, since its the standard for quite a few L series lenses Wink

Definitally worth getting if you can get it cheap enough :D and don't have the wonga to stretch to a 1K L series of equivalent spec

Feb 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jamesdodd to your Buddy List
SidewinderX

Registered: Jan 17, 2005
Review Date: Jul 23, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: $320.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Inexpensive, constant f2.8
Cons:
slow, innacurate AF

I bought this lens from KEH because I liked the idea of a 28-70/2.8 and the price was right. While I do like the speed of the lens, I find it to be fairly soft at f2.8, and that problem is compounded by the fact that it's autofocus is not the most accurate I've ever used. I guess I've been spoiled by USM/HSM, but I reccomend spending the extra money to get the newer 24-70/2.8 or the 24-60/2.8.

Jul 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add SidewinderX to your Buddy List
Emre

Registered: Sep 9, 2005
Location: Turkey
Review Date: Apr 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast as well as film quality
Cons:

if you are serious about photography this lens is one of the lenses that you must have.

it producueses images as well as film quality on the digital rebel XT.

I think this equimpment will be my most important which I have ever had.

You dont need to an other lenses if you have this because 28-70 is a very common used area in the photograpghy.

Apr 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Emre to your Buddy List
Brian Prince

Registered: Jan 7, 2006
Review Date: Mar 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $440.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very good build. Sharp. Good contrast and color.Very smooth. F2.8.Hood included.
Cons:
None, for the cost.

Excellent lens.Good range.Wish it was a bit wider for a 1.6 crop camera, but 70 is nice to have. I've had this lens about 8 months and it's on my camera about 95% of the time,except if I need something wider.Sharp wide open and very sharp stopped down a stop or two. Excellent lens,Excellent value.

Mar 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Brian Prince to your Buddy List
canonlight

Registered: Feb 26, 2006
Review Date: Mar 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great focal range on FF (okay on crop body), Very good sharpness wide open, Great EX build, Very good flare resistance, Pleasing bokeh, Good colors and contrast, Little CA, Fairly good edge performance, Excellent price-point.
Cons:
Some copies have front-focus issues.

This is a very good lens. Comparable to the Sigma 24-60 f2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, and Tamron 28-75 f2.8 in IQ. Price is the lowest of them all; has better build as an EX lens than the Di. See my site for more www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/lenstests

Mar 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add canonlight to your Buddy List
NEXC

Registered: Dec 7, 2005
Review Date: Jan 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $385.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Good lens for the money.
Cons:
Loud AF, not L class image quality

I was hoping that this lens would be able to produce L class image quality but at las no. It's a good lens, certainly above the average consumer class lens but not in L class territory.

PS Under certain lighting conditions it comes very close but once you look at a wide range of images you begin to see the differences.

Jan 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add NEXC to your Buddy List
jpegram

Registered: Mar 11, 2005
Review Date: Dec 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Light, fairly quick focus, decent sharpness
Cons:
Contrast is weak in bright light, build, hunts in anything but perfect light, low light pictures are worthless

Its not bad and its not great. I got it to explore further lower distance ranges and start prepping to move up to L glass on the Canon end. I got this for a song from a dealer I knew. I think if you need a decent portrait lens, this will do you well. I have used it quite a lot and the results are really good for a lens of this build quality. Its worth a look if you cannot spring for a Canon 28-135 USM IS.

Here is one photo I took with it:
careful its a full JPG pic, broadband only.

Dec 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jpegram to your Buddy List
incdigital

Registered: Aug 2, 2005
Review Date: Nov 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $199.99 | Rating: 9

Pros: Value, 2.8 is sharp, very sharp from F4 and up, tight zoom ring, smooth manual focus, nice color and contrast, common 77mm filter thread
Cons:
Noisy AF...but i hardly ever use AF so its not a neg for me

Nov 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add incdigital to your Buddy List
burnt toast

Registered: Jul 10, 2005
Review Date: Aug 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $299.99 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp at all Ap., great build, unbelievable price, zoom tight and smooth, zoom lock is nice.
Cons:
Kinda loud, my fat fingers keep getting in the way of the focus ring.

Im stoked about this lens, I realy wanted to get the tamron based on its rave reviews here and almost every where else. but its back ordered till 2099. so i figured id give this lens a shot and hot damn! worth every penny and then some. my copy is sharp at 2.8 from 28-70mm. its constant, i would easly say its as sharp as my 50mm 1.8.

I have not had a chance to get my hands on the tamron 28-75, but i dont possibly know how it can beat this lens.

Aug 5, 2005