Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 EX Aspherical DF

28 169439 Jul 7, 2010
8.5
28_70df_1_

SIGMA 28-70mm f2.8 EX Aspherical DF is one of several EX-Series lenses. It combines a fast, constant f2.8 maximum aperture with a popular range of focal lengths from 28mm wide-angle to 70mm medium range telephoto with an upgraded design. It is the world's smallest 28-70mm f2.8 zoom lens. The lens also incorporates a dual focus mechanism. It is easy to hold the lens, since the focusing ring does not rotate during auto-focusing and yet provides adequate focusing torque of the focusing ring during manual focusing of the lens. Helical focus system of the lens eliminates front lens rotation, thus allowing the use of a Perfect Hood and easy to use polarizing filters. It incorporates 2 aspherical lenses in the front and rear lens groups, provides high performance and superior optical quality. Minimum focusing distance is 40cm/15.7inches at all focal lengths. Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 EX Aspherical DF is equipped with a Perfect Hood to prevent extraneous harmful light for image quality. The lens materials used in this new lens are lead and arsenic free ecological glass.

Page:  1 · 2

Sayeret18

Registered: Apr 1, 2005
Review Date: May 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $295.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent build, fast AF, sharp at 2.8, very sharp 4 and above, good contrast and nice, cool colors.

May 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sayeret18 to your Buddy List
fStopJojo

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Review Date: Apr 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $275.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good focal range, good sharpness wide open, good EX build, very good flare resistance, pleasing bokeh, good colors and contrast, very little CA and color fringing, acceptable to good edge performance, very good performance-to-cost ratio.
Cons:
1st copy had some AF problems at the 28mm end/wide open, AF a tad noisy.

[I have the new EX DG version] I've done many tests on standard zooms and compared them with one another. I like this lens a lot and it is very similar to the Tamron 28-75 but with better EX build. I would opt for this lens over the Tamron. It really is a good lens, especially for what I paid brand new ($275). Amateurs and pros alike can do well with it. See my results here:

fStopJojo@yahoo.com (emails welcome)

Apr 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fStopJojo to your Buddy List
jma24

Registered: Jun 27, 2004
Review Date: Jul 11, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, performance.
Cons:
Not as good as Nikon's AFS 28-70 esp in relation to autofocus.

I bought this lens after the horrible performance of the 18-50 DC lens that I bought first. I had a go with this and was impressed, so I upgraded.

I loved the lens at first thought but wanted to wait before reviewing it and also replaced my camera body soon after (Fuji S2 in place of S1) so I waited a while longer before my 2 cents. I have now shot some 2-3000 frames so I think I'm qualified to have something to say now.

First impressions of the lens are that it is very well built indeed. I like the EX finish - it glances off the odd knock and scratch nicely. Lens hood is nicely made. Manual focus ring has plenty of friction, which makes it very nice to use in MF mode. Zoom ring is a bit stiff, but it is loosening up and I expect it to continue to do so.

In general use this lens is fast and sharp. I'm not totally convinced that this lens is really a 2.8 through and through, because it can be a little soft when wide open. Sigma have a habit of trying to match Nikon's technical specs with only being able to get 95% of the optical quality (albeit at a MUCH lower price point). This seems to show itself where you'd expect it most, wide open at 70mm. But if you use it as a 2.8/4.0 you will get great shots every time.

Flare is excellent, CA negligable, there is relatively little distortion (and I take pictures of my girlfriend's paintings, so distortion is obvious). Colour is simply lovely, outside in bright lights or at night.

Autofocus is the usual Sigma weakness - it's a bit loud especially when compared to say Canon's L series but I don't think the noise is such a problem. On my S1/S2, it also searches periodically, and its performance in low light leaves something to be deserved. Again, I often shoot in MF mode anyhow, so no worries there.

So if you have the money, the $1600 Canon/Nikon lens will make a small difference. If you don't (like me Smile, be thankful Sigma make a lens as good as this, at this price point, because the Tokina/Tamron/cheap Nikon alternatives that I tried didn't do what the EX can do.

Jul 11, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jma24 to your Buddy List
boissez

Registered: Jan 27, 2004
Review Date: Jun 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp and bright. Probably one of the best buys you can make if you're looking for a transstandard zoom. Rather tough build.
Cons:
Large, heavy, loud, some CA, AF/MF switch is cumbersome.

The glass in this one is really good: sharp and bright. It is however not as sharp at full telephoto @2.8.
I was suprised with how durable the build is. EX-finish does not get easily scratched - I even dropped mine from the top of my car (with the hood on) - still works fine Smile

The handling is actually kindda good despite its design flaws.

This lens does look monstrous to regular people who are accustomed to P&S sized cameras - that combined with the noise it makes, makes this one no good for street photography. This combined with the lack of brightness (I've bought a set of f2 primes instead) is the reason I sold this lens.

Jun 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add boissez to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: Apr 4, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $328.98 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp at F2.8 across the focal range, light weight, good color and contrast, a good value for the price.
Cons:
No full time manual focus, noisy so-so auto focus.

The Sigma 28-70EX DF 2.8 is sharp at 2.8 from 28mm to 70mm has good color and contrast. I tested against the Tamron 28-75 Di and the Sigma 24-70EX and found it had better overall sharpness and image quality. The Canon 24-70L I tested was a better lens, but at the cost of 1/4 lb more weight and $1000usd.

The Sigma 28-70EX DF is better than it has any right to be at this price. You will have to buy the Canon 24-70L to get a better lens in my opinion.

Apr 4, 2004
Edit/Delete Message
Unregistered
Review Date: Jan 12, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $270.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: - Optics: good contrast and superb sharpness @f/3.5 and up. - f2.8 all the way - Build quality
Cons:
- Noisy&slow AF - Soft wide open @70mm - Zoom ring goes the opposite direction

I bought this lens to see if it's worth replacing my 24-85mm USM with it. While Canon zoom was slightly better for color balance and maybe contrast, this Sigma was much much sharper. The difference in sharpness was especially noticable in the corners. So I sold my 24-85mm

Sharpness
This lens (at least my copy) was very sharp on the wide end. At 28mm it was superb even wide open! at f3.5 it was no worse than my 50mm prime. Closer to the long end it gets worse: at 70mm it's quite usable wide open, but it's images sharpen nicely in PS and overall you can say that f2.8 is very usable across the entire zoom range (unlike Tokina 28-70mm AT-X Pro f2.8 I've also tried)

Color&Contrast
Very good performance here. I have Canon's excellent 35mm and 50mm primes and I was satisfied with Sigma color. Maybe a little of the warm side, but you need to have a trained eye to notice that. Tamron 28-75mm 2.8Di is much worse in this department.

Distoration
Honestly can't say anything. Never tested for it. Never noticed on the actual photos. This lens isn't for achitecture due to 1.6x crop factor of my 3D. So I didn't care for distorations.

Build&Handling
I don't understand why so many complain about focus switch used on the Sigma. In my opinion people just hate everything they're not used to. In my opinion Sigma's system (when you push/pull the entire focus ring to switch between AF/MF) is *much* better than Canon's flimsy tiny switch. Build quality is also excellent: Sigma uses really interesting finish on their EX-line of lenses. It's not metal, thus not as slippery, but rather a mix of sturdy plastic with rubber: feels nice in your hands and this material provides much better grip than metal.

Auto-Focus
AF is slow and noisy. I did not have any front(back)focus problems with it though. Anyway I miss USM of my Canon zoom big time.

Bottom line:
Optically probably the best thing after Canon's superb and expensive 24-70mm f2.8L. Somewhat better than Tamron 28-75 f2.8 Di. And at less than $300 - a superb value!

Jan 12, 2004
Edit/Delete Message
joe_E

Registered: Sep 27, 2003
Review Date: Nov 19, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: price, f2.8
Cons:
distortion @ 70mm, DF useless, tight zoom ring

Good lens overall, at least for this price it won`t get much better. Sharpness, AF speed, noise level and color rendition are all good but not stunning. The DF function is a pain because it`s just something more to fiddle with (why do they build that mechanism when it does not work in such an obvious way???). Generally, DF is a good idea, but, well, read above.... Pincussion distortion @ 70mm is another problem. If you`re shooting @ said focal length, make sure there are no straight lines near the frame borders or they`ll turn out heavily bent. Not so good.
Apart from that, everything`s fine. The lens feels good, everything is in the right place, just under the appropriate finger. It is fairly fast, not too loud, aperture ring is VERY comfortable and picture quality is solid (which is most important, innit?). Bit warm, bit soft sometimes, not bad really (i tend to really like the warmish color rendition). If you`re on a budget, buy this lens immediately, if you`re not, well, you might want to invest in both a sigma 28-70/2.8 EX DF AND a 100-300/2.8 IF HSM rather than going for only one 28-70 AF-S or L lens....

Nov 19, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add joe_E to your Buddy List
buttmiester

Registered: Sep 3, 2003
Review Date: Sep 4, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Feel, Sharpness, F2.8, internal AF
Cons:
Can be out of focus (hazy), manual/aAF ring - easy to slide from one to the other

I have a 10D so the range is perfect for portraits (45mm-105mm). The lense has a good fell and is sturdy. Can give blinding results when sharply focused but this can be a hit and miss affair - I'm not sure whether this is the 10D (reviews have showed focus issues) but when sharp I have printed out to A3 size and you would not know the difference between This and 35MM taken on a prime lense when sharp.

Certainly for price vs quality, unless you make a living from photo's this is the best overall lense.

Sep 4, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add buttmiester to your Buddy List
rombaft

Registered: Jun 19, 2003
Review Date: Jun 19, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: very sharp above f4.5, nice range, f2.8 all the way, comes with hood and a nice bag.
Cons:
bit to soft wide open, and chromatic aberation has been seen on pictures taken with it.

For the mony you can't beat this lens, it's soft wide open, has chromatic aberation, but over f4.5 this lens produces images that are very very sharp, focal range is ideal.
for the price, you get a lot, if you truly wan't the best in this range you have to get a canon L but you will pay triple the price

Jun 19, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rombaft to your Buddy List
gavin

Registered: Jun 7, 2003
Review Date: Jun 15, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, both AF and Aperture, Sharpness.
Cons:
flimsy lens hood (plastic)

Yet another Sigma I'm stoked with, it, like the 120-300 f2.8 is tack sharp and does what it's supposed to, take great pictures (at way less than Nikor glass).

Jun 15, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gavin to your Buddy List
Canonizer

Registered: May 21, 2003
Review Date: Jun 7, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $255.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast and sharp, images quite good even wide open. Stop down just a little and they'll be tack sharp. Good build quality. Lens hood and nice case included.
Cons:
AF a tad noisy and sluggish. Not a major issue.

I have used this lens on both my Canon EOS 3 in the film world, and my 10D in the digital. I am very satisfied with it on both those bodies, although the focal length range somewhat favors the film world. I am able to get very usable images when shooting at f/2.8. There is good control of flaring and CA. Bokeh is above average, to my tastes. As is typical of the Sigma EX lens family, build is quite good, but AF leaves room for improvement, in that it tends to be noisier and slower than the Canon counterparts. I do not find it to be an issue, those who for whatever reason demand instant and silent AF may be disappointed. In the field, the lens handles nicely, and it's easy to focus manually.

Jun 7, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Canonizer to your Buddy List
mskad

Registered: Sep 20, 2002
Review Date: Apr 6, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $296.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Excellent: color, sharpness. Good: construction, contrast. Fast zoom (constant f/2.8). Excellent price/performance ratio.
Cons:
Cumbersome dual-focus (DF) mechanism. You have to use the AF/MF switch AND the AF/MF ring in order to swap between auto and manual focus.

I am pretty happy with this lens. F/2.8 more than usable from 28mm up to 60mm. At 70mm, it needs to be stopped a bit (f/5.6 is enough).

Warmish color rendering, good contrast when you stop a bit and really nice focusing ring. AF motor is OK. HSM (Sigma version of Canon's USM) would have been nice but I never had to complain about AF performances.

It comes with a nice carrying case and an efficient lens hood.

I used it with my Canon EOS D60...

Added 5/13/2003: ...and now with my Canon 10D. Works fine with this camera body but slight front focusing at close-up distance.

Apr 6, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mskad to your Buddy List

Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 EX Aspherical DF