Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

181 530968 Jun 30, 2014
7.8
ef_28-135_35_1_

Standard zoom lens with an Image Stabilizer and high zoom ratio. With the Image Stabilizer turned on, you can obtain sharp, natural-looking pictures in dim lighting without using flash or a tripod. Very handy for places where flash is prohibited. Uses ring-type USM for swift, silent autofocus and full-time manual focus. Closest focusing distance is 20 in. (50 cm).

Pavel

Registered: Jun 10, 2003
Review Date: Jan 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $420.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: versatile, fair construction quality, good optical quality
Cons:
front extension of lens results in some woble, still faily large, variable apperture is frustrating with use of manual exposure.

The lens has all the right things ... on paper. I find for the type of shooting that I do, namely people oriented - that the IS is of little value because the problem becomes people moving rather than shake from hand holding. In hindsight I would have been much better to spend the same amount of money or a bit more in two or three fast primes. the 35 f2 with the 85 f.18 or 100 f2 is what I am thinking would be a good alternative for not much more. The lens is big enough to be a bit of an attention getter and forget low light candids because of that and the f 5.6. The lens is quite good but not for certain kinds of shooting that all, and since it doesn't fit my stile it mainly sits at home.

Jan 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Pavel to your Buddy List
CurtPick

Registered: Nov 21, 2004
Review Date: Jan 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Built well, Decent image quality, Good range for everyday shooting, Can produce some very sharp images
Cons:
The one I had had terrible zoom creep and many others who have used say the same. A tad slow but not too bad

Overall good walk around , shoot everyday lens. Produces some very good images when stopped down a bit. IS is wonderful on this lens. Its not very fast but fast enough for most well lit subjects. Lens zoom has horrible creep. Its also a dust sucker so watch for that if you buy it used. If you want a lens to stay on your body for walking around this would be my first pick. Just don't look for L quality photos. Not to bad of a price point for this quality.

Jan 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add CurtPick to your Buddy List
fozzybear1969

Registered: Oct 27, 2004
Review Date: Jan 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: IS, light weight, reasonable sharpness, nice colour and contrast. Good walk around lens. Good range.
Cons:
Not an L lens, front of lens wobbles a bit, soft at the short and long end. A bit pricey for this lens, I paid $650 CAD.

Campared to my 70-200mm f4.0 L lens this lens does not have the same sharpness and contrast. I find it sharp at f 8-11 and very soft at 3.5-5.6. So far there is not zoom creep. I like the range but I will sell this lens and get a 28-70 L.

Jan 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fozzybear1969 to your Buddy List
Pitiusos

Registered: Sep 4, 2004
Review Date: Jan 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great range, lightweight, image stabilisation, compliments the 100 400is lens to make a great basic setup.
Cons:
rather flimsy feeling construction compared to some third party lenses in the same price-range,

I have had this lens twice and have found it to be a great allround lens, the Image stabiliser can really make a difference especially if like me you dont like hauling a tripod around.

I often found though that with this lens being quite slow I would often have to bump up the iso setting on my D30 which really is not ideal, probably with the newer bodies like the 20d it would make a better match, however in good light stopped down to F8 this lens can really perform,

A good allrounder I would not hesitate to reccomend it and will probably find one back on my camera again!.

Jan 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Pitiusos to your Buddy List
bander

Registered: May 29, 2004
Review Date: Dec 22, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $399.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp images - IS - No zoom creap so far
Cons:
No wide angle with 1.6X crop cameras

This lens has been a pleasant surprise and my copy is sharp! I'm wondering if Canon has quietly upgraded it. Possibly, improvements in lens technology are being passed along. I noticed the same sharp performance in a 24-85mm Canon lens that I tested a few months back. This lens is very close in sharpness to my 50mm f/1.8 and it is also very close to my Tamron 28-75. At the wide end it blows away the Tamron and a similar Sigma 24-70mm. It is sharp wide open, something I have only seen in various L zooms. I don't understand the negative reviews that I read here, and possibly there is a good deal of sample variation.

Dec 22, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bander to your Buddy List
Javier Rey

Registered: Jan 21, 2002
Review Date: Dec 16, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid, reliable, IS.
Cons:
A bit of distortion in the extreme focals. Not really important.

If Canon can feel proud of two absolutely "round" products these they are the Canon D30 and this excellent, reliable and solid lens. An all land with great quality optic and splendid colors for its price. The lens more loved of my gear.

Dec 16, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Javier Rey to your Buddy List
CrissX

Registered: Sep 29, 2004
Location: Romania
Review Date: Dec 11, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $320.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp 80 %, fast 70%, range 90%. Is a lens for everything. If u want to pose portraits, is OK, if u want to pose landscape..is OK, if u want to catch Sport is handle-it
Cons:
Maybe more speed ?

Almost sharp, almost fast.. but silent ! I'm returned to this lens for third time.. after i try in 2 years two copy.In time i try many lenses.. and i return to 28-135 IS USM... for a third time.
This lense is like a lover dog... she'll do every
thing for u.

Dec 11, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CrissX to your Buddy List
jimnms

Registered: Mar 27, 2004
Review Date: Dec 9, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $410.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Good Price, IS, quiet, fast focus, size and weight
Cons:
28mm not wide enough on a 1.6 crop DSLR

This was the first lens I bought when I got my 10D. If I can only take one lens with me, this is the one that I take.

Dec 9, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jimnms to your Buddy List
John Daniel

Registered: Jun 6, 2004
Review Date: Dec 3, 2004 Recommend? no | Price paid: $409.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: Cheap nice range
Cons:
Cheap, distortion, not great quality image

Very poor product for the price paid. You pay for the name but there is no quality in this lens.

Dec 3, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add John Daniel to your Buddy List
avalon2864

Registered: Nov 22, 2004
Review Date: Dec 3, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $420.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good image quality and IS
Cons:
Barrel does wobble a bit

Great image quality. Did some comparative shots at f5.6 and f8 with a 50mm 1.8 prime on a map (with tiny text). I could read the text from both lens. The 28-135 lagged a tiny bit behind the 50mm...but the difference was not very big at all. Maybe I'll upload a few shots in the forum. (i posted a few shots of them on the forum)

Dec 3, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add avalon2864 to your Buddy List
go4it

Registered: Sep 2, 2004
Review Date: Nov 28, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $375.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic lens for the money! Very sharp, beautiful colors, great "bokeh". Superb contrast. Makes images leap off a laptop screen. Focus response better than I expected (with EOS 10D / 20D) after reading some of previous reviews. USM is silent and incredibly fast. Mine will "snap focus" instantly! Virtually a perfect "walk-around" lens on vacation. Image-stabilization is amazing. However, try one before you believe ANY reviews - even mine.
Cons:
Doesn't feel quite AS "robust" as an "L" lens. Again - Canon needs to "get the message" that lens hoods should come with a new lens purchase!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They used to! The extra 30-45 bucks is just plain insulting.

Just simply a stunning lens - even wide open for some shots - as long as you stay away from strong back-lighting. Always better stopped down a notch or two - but what lens isn't? Minor CA on the edges when used with a film camera but with the 1.6 crop on a 10/20D, this disappears. No "fringing" that I have observed.

My EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens has been MORE than I expected. IMO, some of these negative reviews have to be considered as "HIGHLY SUSPECT!!!". The lens performs better - MUCH BETTER - than I expected, better than the first lens of it's type I fit to the camera body. It produces STUNNING images! I'll grant that it's not a "L" model, but for the money, it's impossible to argue with the results.

Lens feels "invisible" on a 10D / 20D digi-cam with a battery grip because of its "somewhat" light weight - but it is a well-built lens, no question.

If you had to leave the house with just ONE lens for the day, this might be it. Perhaps the 28-300 but it's B-I-G and W-H-I-T-E and VERY h-e-a-v-y compared to this model - - - and at 8-9 times the price ... it quickly fell out of favor. (Plus, I just don't trust 10-11X zoom lenses to perform well at the extremes, "L" series optics or not.)

This is a "fill" lens for my 17-40mm f/4 USM "L" and my 70-200f/4 USM "L" lenses and it had performed admirably! AND flawlessly! On some shots - with a polarizer in place - I can't tell the difference between my "L's" and this lens.

Actually, for the money and the range of usefullness, it's the best lens I own.

Nov 28, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add go4it to your Buddy List
everydavid

Registered: Nov 23, 2004
Location: Korea, South
Review Date: Nov 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact, great zoom range for the size of the lens. Light enough to lug around even when hicking. IS is works wonders in low light.
Cons:
The lens does creap out when around the neck, plastic build

I traded in my 28105 lens and bought this lens used. It has worked for me well.
Its zoom range is good for many situations.
I would reccomend it to anyone who is on a moderate budget.

Nov 27, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add everydavid to your Buddy List
andrewma

Registered: Nov 17, 2004
Review Date: Nov 25, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: IS, relatively light, very useable zoom range.
Cons:
not as sharp as i'd like.

For a good walkabout lens that's useable both indoors and outdoors, this is a good lens to have. i use my tamron 28-105 f/2.8 more but this one had it's use for quite a while. The IS helps immensely indoors when shooting without strobes or a flash.

sharpness was decent if you could stop down to f/8+ but it's definitely useable even when it's at it's max. it's not an L lens and don't let others trash talk this one too much. it's less than half the cost of the 24-70 and it covers a more useable range with the digital rebel and 20D that i used it with. i still like it with my A2 (film) but i sold my film and now have sold this lens too as i've moved to the tamron lens.

Nov 25, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add andrewma to your Buddy List
optician

Registered: Oct 16, 2004
Review Date: Nov 14, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Decent zoom range, excellent walkabout lens, my copy is extremely sharp
Cons:
Zoom ring and focus ring close together

I have 17-40L and 70-200L so bought this to fill the gap between the two. Also for the image stabilisation as I love to shoot with available light, but don't always want to carry a tripod.

The thing that surprised me the most about this lens is that (my copy anyway) is extremely sharp. It is as good as my L lenses for sharpness - but not as good for colour and contrast which is only to be expected given the price.

I love the focus range too which combined with the Image Stabilisation allows for hand-held macros, try adding a small extension tube.

Nov 14, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add optician to your Buddy List
dacop

Registered: Jun 23, 2004
Review Date: Nov 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Colors, Sharpness, Contrast, Light Weight, Great Range
Cons:

I gave this lens a try after selling my 28-105mm and I couldn't be happier. It offers a great range and most of all, I liked the overall colors and sharpness this lens produces. I find myself doing very little (or none at all) color adjusting on photos right from the camera. Sharpness and contrast output was much more then I expected and better then the 28-105mm.

I highly recommend this lens.

Nov 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dacop to your Buddy List
Rob Ernsting

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Review Date: Nov 3, 2004 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 2

Pros: None what so ever.
Cons:
A dog of a lens for the price to pay. Soft never real sharp only if you shoot well lit daylight objects at f 11 or smaller aperture, f16. A waist of money.

Focusing is slow, the tube is always extending when carrying the camera. Have troubled with this lens so much while not being able to afford a better lens. Making endless tests on tripod and blaming myself until I was convinced that it is poor manufacture that causes this poor result. The IS is expensive and not really a benefit.

Until I got a 17-40mm L USM I have made poor soft pictures. I finally got rid of it and bought a 70-200mm L USM in addition.

Canon lenses are poor performers unless one pays through the nose for an L type lens. It is a shame that Canon still brings out low quality prosumer lenses for a lot of money.

Nov 3, 2004