Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

180 527735 Dec 14, 2013
7.8
ef_28-135_35_1_

Standard zoom lens with an Image Stabilizer and high zoom ratio. With the Image Stabilizer turned on, you can obtain sharp, natural-looking pictures in dim lighting without using flash or a tripod. Very handy for places where flash is prohibited. Uses ring-type USM for swift, silent autofocus and full-time manual focus. Closest focusing distance is 20 in. (50 cm).

allanyue

Registered: Jan 29, 2006
Review Date: Feb 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Light weight, sharp pics, IS, price.
Cons:
slow lens

This is the first lens i bought when i started getting into photgraphy many years ago. Good walk-around camera when your out and about one afternoon. Takes great pics. Although i have upgraded to the 24-105 f4L lense, i find myself still putting this lens on my camera for outdoor family outings, the weight factor is a blessing.

Not that great for indoor shots, i find myself reaching for my 70-200 f2.8L, for those.

If your looking for a good, light weight, cost effective, all purpose lens then look no more, here it is. This one will be in my camera bag for many more years.

Cheers

Feb 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add allanyue to your Buddy List
coppertop

Registered: Jan 21, 2006
Review Date: Feb 16, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: $415.00

Pros: *This is a follow-up review.
Cons:

I tried another copy and it is tremendously sharper than the previous copy I tried and returned.

It's a nice lens. A couple of points I'd like to add.

As far as construction goes, I wish Canon used metal on the lens barrel. While the plastic is sturdy, it takes some getting used to but it does make this a light lens.

There is a slight wiggle to the barrel extensions, probably due to the dual tube extension. I was concerned about this but have learned it is typical of this lens. Personally, I don't like parts that wiggle and feel it may increase the normal wear and tear of this lens.

Focus is fast and quiet. The IS is significantly quieter than the IS on the 24-105.

I can learn to live with the 28mm and will be keeping my Sigma 18-125 just in case I need something wider. Compared to the Sigma, the Canon produces sharper images. Where the Sigma would be a 7.5, the Canon would be a 9. Sigma's main problem is consistency. Only time will tell if the Canon shares this problem.

Feb 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add coppertop to your Buddy List
Chris Fawkes

Registered: Feb 1, 2006
Review Date: Feb 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great range. Very sharp
Cons:

I originally had two of these for my eos 1's and they were both very sharp.
I have several friends also who have them and have been impressed with how sharp they are.
No doubt an occasional dog gets out but this has not been my experience. Great on weddings.
I did do several test between this and the 70-200 f/2.8 IS L
about 18months ago. The L gave visible better contrast, at 100% magnification however there was no noticable difference in sharpness.
All bar two of the childrens shots on my web site were taken with this lens

Feb 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chris Fawkes to your Buddy List
coppertop

Registered: Jan 21, 2006
Review Date: Feb 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $414.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IS
Cons:
Some copies are soft.

My first copy of this lens was soft throughout the zoom range. The second copy was worlds better. The image quality is very close to "L" quality.

My only complaint about the construction is that I wish this lens only had one extension tube. Better yet, internal zoom so the lens length was not altered while zooming. The lens has dual extension tubes which for the short length the lens has to extend, is unusual.

The IS is handy in low light situations where you need to slow the shutter speed down, to allow enough light in. My guess is that the IS allows you 2-3 stops.

If you get a good copy of this lens, you will be happy.

Feb 11, 2006
pj1974

Registered: Feb 10, 2006
Review Date: Feb 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: 5x Zoom range, accurate AF, sharp (esp stopped down a bit), USM, useful IS
Cons:
No f2.8 aperture (but then it would be bigger & more expensive!)

After reading various reviews, tests and most importantly seeing real life photos others had made with this lens, I bought it in November 2005. And have been VERY happy with this lens since then! After over 4 years with digital point and shoot cameras, this was my first lens for my first DSLR.

For me it has a very useful zoom range (with a 1.6x crop factor on my Rebel XT / 350D) - I know this is a personal thing, with many people saying the 28mm (=45mm) is not wide enough for them. However my style of photography tends to go for the medium wide to telephoto end of things more (it's reach gets the equivalent of 215mm in 35mm terms). Anyway I have the kit lens which does a satisfactory job for when I really need 18mm (=28mm) wide angle.

Sharpness is good, especially so in adequate light and stopped down one or two stops. The sharpness of my lens seems to match the test results that this website found - I get good sharpness at all focal ranges and even wide open apertures are very decent at all zoom levels.

Of course I would like it to have a constant f2.8, but then this wouldn't be a decently priced, medium weight consumer lens would it! I'm very happy with it: build quality seems ok (not brilliant, but acceptable by my standards). I've heard of people using it for years as their workhorse lens and I can see the same for me. For low light work I have the 50mm f1.8 mark II.

This 28-135mm lens is on my camera most of the time (about 95% of the time.) It focusses well, has a flexible zoom range, is sharp and has USM as well as IS for added useful convenience too.

For the price I think this is a great lens: I get good edge and corner sharpness and very good centre sharpness. Maybe copy to copy quality does vary as I've read, so I think I definitely got a very decent copy and I'm thankful! Of course if I was a professional with a big budget I'd probably use an L lens, but as it is I find this lens does a great job in meeting the needs for nearly all of the landscape, nature, portrait / people and even some of the close up photography that I do.

Well done Canon with this one!

Feb 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pj1974 to your Buddy List
Andi Dietrich

Registered: Nov 12, 2005
Location: Bahamas
Review Date: Feb 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: None, maybe range and macro
Cons:
Hood not included, image quality on FF, this lens is not usable for serious photography. I would not get one again if I would be paid for!

This lens might be o.k. for familiy photos on a crop or a film camera. On a FF it's not worth a dime, sharpness was so poor that it seems to be useless to have an IS function.
It seems to me that Canon Quality Control had a hollyday when they shiped this lens. I sold it after 18 months for half the price I paid.

Feb 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Andi Dietrich to your Buddy List
f_o_t_o

Registered: Jan 30, 2006
Review Date: Jan 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $419.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: great images/great price
Cons:
lens barrels are a bit loose

I read many reviews before buying this lens for my 20D. Most claim its relatively soft but I have taken many sharp shots with it. I use this lens as a main walk-around lens, no studio grade setups, just pictures of trips, the family, etc. Some of the images on a sunny day show very clear details right down to facial hair at 10 feet (croping of course). It's not all that fast so you will need adequate light. in low light situations such as indoors with a flash, the clarity is still quite good.

I was a bit dissappointed with the build quality, you can feel (and hear) "slop" in lens barrels due to the telescoping design. You should not let that from stopping your purchase though.

Knowing what I know now, I definately would buy this lens again. For $419 (on-line), the image quality is very good--better than my 100mm prime. It's probably not as good as L-glass, but for the price, it's definatley worth a look.

Jan 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add f_o_t_o to your Buddy List
noelty

Registered: Nov 1, 2005
Review Date: Jan 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $390.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice sharp lens at an affordable price. Great walk around lens with good range.
Cons:
A bit on the heavy side but not that big of a deal.

I took advantage of the Canon Rebates and ended up getting this lens for $390 brand spanking new. It is an excellent walk around lens, although not wide enough for my landscape shots...Tokina 12-24 takes care of that issue.

It is a tad bit heavy, but not heavy enough to scare me away. I have noticed some low scores from other reviewers and scratch my head as to why? Maybe I got a good copy?

You can see examples shots of this lens in the following flickr group:

Jan 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add noelty to your Buddy List
tqli07981

Registered: Jan 10, 2006
Review Date: Jan 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality and solid construction, IS function is a big plus
Cons:

I do not know why other people post low score on this lense. For its price, you got Quality, IS, 28 - 135 zoom which is very good for a walk around lense. The picture quality out of my 20D with this lense is superb. I love this lense and it is very convenient. I had some many wonderful pictures taken with this baby. No complain what so ever. When there is a situation you feel you do not have enough light, use something called Flash. I mate my 20D with a Canon speedlite 580. Boy, the picture came out looks like I knew what I am doing. Go buy it, highly recommanded.

Jan 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tqli07981 to your Buddy List
dave chilvers

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Jan 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Not a bad price, fairly good focal range, not too heavy. IS helps a lot.
Cons:
Not the best image quality wise

This is a lens that can perform very well on the 1.6 crop cameras, I find on FF that it just can`t quite do justice to the chip. Looking back over my images from the D60 and 20D I`ve got to say that in the real world and when printed and viewed at the correct distance and taking into consideration that it is an old design zoom it would be a good choice as an initial lens to 300D, 350 and 20D. One thing that I have mentioned about other lenses is it`s consistency which is slightly more than I can say about my copy of the 24-105. It`s never as good as the 24-105 when the 24-105 gets it right but can be better when the 24-105 gets it wrong and at half the price that must make it worth considering. Mine is old (from my film days) so maybe it`s time to upgrade to a later copy.

Jan 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dave chilvers to your Buddy List
smac

Registered: Sep 28, 2004
Review Date: Dec 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $429.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: A value priced zoom with decent IS and decent optical quality. Versatile.
Cons:
Soft, slow and gravity induced extension.

It's surprisingly good for a moderate zoom lens. But it wasn't sharp enough or fast enough for me and I kept in only a short time. 10-15 years ago this quality wasn't even attainable in a zoom lens, so we've come a very long way.

Dec 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add smac to your Buddy List
LMCasey

Registered: Dec 2, 2005
Review Date: Dec 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 3

Pros: Reasonable price
Cons:
Poor optics and build quality

A couple of years ago, after all sorts of raving on Dpreview, I bought the 28-135 IS. The lens I received is not good optically. It's never really sharp at any focal length or aperture. The build quality is quite poor. The lens barrel has a great deal of play. The whole thing rattles. This lens is very disappointing optically. I know others swear by this lens; but my experience is different.

Too all potential buyers, just beware there are quite a few bad copies of this lens floating out there.

Good luck.

Dec 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LMCasey to your Buddy List
Doc_Brown

Registered: Apr 5, 2005
Review Date: Dec 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IS, build quality, range, did I mention IS?
Cons:
Softness on the right side of some shots, f/5.6 kicks in at 100mm

I've been using this lens for about 8 mo. now. It's extremely versatile and a great all around consumer level lens. Please don't compare it to "L" glass, because it's not. That would be like comparing a Mercedes to a Toyota. It's simply not a fair comparison. If you want the quality of "L" glass, save your pennies and wait it out. I have yet to see any of the widely reported CA or zoom creep with my copy. However it is occasionally soft on the right side of some shots. I haven't taken the time to check out what the settings are when it's happening, but I suspect it is a defect in the lens itself. Yea, it's a bit on the heavy side, but I've walked around with mine 4hrs at a crack and it's never bothered me. Some have recommended not to use it on a 20D. I'm not really sure why that is and no one has taken the time to explain themselves. I've found it to be a great walk around lens for my 20D.

The IS works great, though there is a bit of a learning curve. I wish I had realized that when I bought it. I blew a lot of good shots because I didn't understand what the effect of the IS would be. I would not recommend this lens for sports, at least not with the IS on. I fins that it also focuses a little slow for dealing with action shots. It will do OK in a pinch, but there are certainly better sports lenses. And DON'T use the IS when it's mounted to a tripod. I found that out the hard way. I was getting very soft pictures even when stopped down. This was very disappointing and I was getting ready to dump the lens. I didn't realize that it was the IS that was causing the issue. For much of the photography I do, the IS has been a real asset though. I've been able to shoot reasonably sharp photos at f/5.6 1/30sec. Also, keep in mind that IS is no substitute for a good tripod.

Much of what I use this lens for is stationary work. Landscapes, architecture, that sort of thing. This is where the lens does it's best. I might eventually replace it with something better, but this one will be in my camera bag for a long time.

Dec 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Doc_Brown to your Buddy List
EFM-7

Registered: Dec 3, 2005
Review Date: Dec 4, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: $516.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: IS helps in in handheld operation, good range, USM, Very Sharp
Cons:
HORRIBLE light fall-off at wide and tele ends, second gen IS, heavy, bad build quality, moderate chromatic abberations

At first I got the 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 USM II and I loved it, and I thought that if I got the 28-135 with IS I would love it even more since it has an extea 30mm of reach and has IS, so I exchanged the 28-105 for the 28-135, took it home, did some typical test shots I do with all my lenses. Took it out for the weekend, took a few hundred shots, big dissappointment.

It's just as sharp as the 28-105 but a lot more light falloff at the wide end and and even more at the the long end. (worse than my 18-55 kit lens!). There are noticable chromatic abbertations. Mild at the wide end, severe at the long end, even when stopped down to f/9.

IS was nice, although it had a slight learning curve (technique) compared to a 3rd generation IS lens, I found it worked best at 1/15s and faster.

Overall most of the shots were low contrast due to the light falloff. This lens made me miserable.

I think canon failed to understand that a physically bigger lens would require a little bit more structural integrity in its design. The built quality of this lens is sloppy. The barrel was loose and the zoom ring warped if I held it tight. When zooming it would make a squeaking sound. and the zoom would creep between 100mm and 50mm. And the lens hood was a little loose.

I ended up taking it back to the store and getting my 28-105 back, now im happy

Perhaps I had a bad copy, because I did buy it used and I noticed a huge scratch in one of the IS elements, meaning the guy who had it before me must have opened it up, maybe to clean it, and slipped with whatever tool he/she was using. Either way i'm glad it's gone.

Dec 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EFM-7 to your Buddy List
JohnR84740

Registered: Dec 30, 2004
Review Date: Nov 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: IS, zoom range, value, light weight
Cons:
soft focus, slow

Overall, this is a good lens, and a great value for the price tag. It is an excellent walk-around lens for the non-professional, and will give very good pictures if you do not attempt to enlarge very much or shoot in bright light and can stop down a little.

It is not pro quality in any respect, but for this price, it is about the best consumer grade lens you will find, and is full-featured with IS. Although not fast focus, it is adequate for shooting youth sports, and because of its zoom range is quite flexible.

I'll keep this one around until I can afford the 24 - 105 L

Nov 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JohnR84740 to your Buddy List
ukcolin

Registered: Nov 12, 2005
Review Date: Nov 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Good zoom range and reasonable image quality. The IS heps in low light.
Cons:
I found I was increasingly dissatisfied with the image quality. The build quality is OK but does not inspire confidence.

Stopped down this lens works well. It is also a neat package for the zoom range offered. I found that the sharpness is reasonable at smaller apertures but soft wide open. I eventually sold it. But I would recommend it on the basis that while it is not the sharpest of lenses it might suit as a convenient walk round lens.

Nov 19, 2005