Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

181 531977 Jun 30, 2014
7.8
ef_28-135_35_1_

Standard zoom lens with an Image Stabilizer and high zoom ratio. With the Image Stabilizer turned on, you can obtain sharp, natural-looking pictures in dim lighting without using flash or a tripod. Very handy for places where flash is prohibited. Uses ring-type USM for swift, silent autofocus and full-time manual focus. Closest focusing distance is 20 in. (50 cm).

Page:  10 · 11 · 12

stan_g

Registered: Jan 8, 2002
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast AF, Image Stabilzer, Sharpest consumer Canon zoom
Cons:
inconsistant build, some great, some not

Best all-around lens built. IS works great and lens is very sharp. I've wore one out (4 years) and couldn't live without another. My first did have "zoom creep" and front barrel looseness but didn't affect quality of pics. Second didn't have creep and has tight barrel extention.

Mar 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add stan_g to your Buddy List
RobertM

Registered: Jan 14, 2003
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $399.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: image quality, zoom range, price
Cons:
zoom creep, 72mm filter size

This was intended to be my "starter/all purpose" lens on my entry into the DSLR area (10D). I am very happy with this lens so far.

The range suits my tastes perfectly. With the 1.6x effective magnification factor of the 10D, this lens becomes a 45-216, so if you are looking for wide angle, this is not the lens for you.

But for general purpose flexibility in shooting, I am quite pleased. The image stabilization has been very helpful, although it eats your battery a bit quicker.
I have been very pleased so far with the image quality I'm seeing. Obviously I'm new to the DSLR arena, but I find my image sharpness better than I expected, and the AF speed is very good.

The only two things that I would comment on negatively are the 72mm filter size (bigger equals more expensive), and the "zoom creep"...walking around with the camera around my neck will soon find the zoom fully extended. Note that I don't experience zoom creep when shooting...only when "jiggling" the camera. Not a big deal.

I believe I made the correct choice for a flexible starter lens.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RobertM to your Buddy List
mike kobal

Registered: Feb 12, 2003
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: excellent optical quality, IS works, light weight
Cons:
small mf ring, lens extends while zooming

got it first as a loaner while waiting for the 24-70L, kept it.

Mar 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mike kobal to your Buddy List
lionken07

Registered: Jun 10, 2002
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros:
Cons:

The goods:
-A very good carry around lens if you don't want to bring any other lenses.
-light enough for me to carry it for the entire shooting section.
-IS do work!

The bads:
-It underexpose a bit on my D60.
-The lens extend as I zoom in which can knock off the balance of my hand.
-It also zooms in by itself if I'm not on a level group. (loose zoom in and out element).

If your starting or don't want to carry too much, this lens is for you!

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lionken07 to your Buddy List
GrizzlyMike

Registered: Sep 23, 2002
Review Date: Mar 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $385.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Good general purpose lens
Cons:
Dust gets in lens housing

It is what it is - a great cary around lens for travel and general shooting. With the IS feature this lens is a good deal for the price. It is not the sharpest lens on the market but certainly not the worse either. Great for trips and hikes where space is limited. Fits easily in your coat pocket. Wih the IS this lens can be hand-held in relatvely low light.

Mar 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add GrizzlyMike to your Buddy List

Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM