What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?
/forum/topic/982966/187

1       2       3              187      
       189       end

New guy
Total Posts: 1

A newbie Just going back into photography after a long 25 year break. Just recently bought a couple Zeiss lenses - 21mm, 100mm mp and 55mm 1.4 Otus in the last couple of months to go with the 5D3.

molson
Total Posts: 10661

Picked up an M.Zuiko 12-40mm f2.8 - I'm very (pleasantly) surprised at how good it is.

briantho
Total Posts: 1099

I bought the Sony Zeiss 24/1.8, a lens I always wanted when I had the NEX-7, but couldn't justify paying $1000 for.

Now I found it for a very good price, and plan on using it with my NEX-5r as my "always with me" camera/lens combo. Perhaps I'll upgrade to an A6000 later.

molson
Total Posts: 10661

After using the Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 PRO lens for a couple of days, I splurged and bought an M.Zuiko ED 75mm 1.8 and ordered an M.Zuiko 12mm f2 - apparently Olympus is now selling this lens in the black version for the same price as the rather tacky-looking silver version.

mountain_drew
Total Posts: 113

Got a pentax PZ-10,
SMC Pentax-FA 70-200mm F4-5.6
SMC Pentax-f 28mm f/2.8
Tamron adaptall 90mm f/2.5 macro
Pentak 28-80 without further detail

All for 140$. I actually just wanted the Tamron lens, and the rest is just bonus.

jcolwell
Total Posts: 20893

mountain_drew wrote:
Got a pentax PZ-10,
SMC Pentax-FA 70-200mm F4-5.6
SMC Pentax-f 28mm f/2.8
Tamron adaptall 90mm f/2.5 macro
Pentak 28-80 without further detail

All for 140$. I actually just wanted the Tamron lens, and the rest is just bonus.

That's a decent price for a SP 90/2.5 in neat mint condition.

The SMCP-F 28/2.8 is regarded as an OK lens (not 'good' or better), and the SMCP-FA 70-200/4.5-6 is less than OK,

SMC Pentax and other stuff database, SPLOSdb (old), http://tinyurl.com/7wpn24n

arstein
Total Posts: 105

Canon 135mm 3.5 LTM with M mount adapter. Condition, as though it just came from the manufacturer.

arduluth
Total Posts: 184

I just bought a Contax G 90mm, though I haven't received it yet. If it's better than the Canon FDn 100/2.8 I've been using as a tele, my main kit will be Contax G.

sceptic
Total Posts: 75

Saw an ad for a Leitz enlarger and persuaded the owner to sell me just the lens (to save a fortune on shipping). It's a Leitz Focotar 40/2.8, and it's literally the size of a ping pong ball (here with a Fuji 35/1.4 for reference):
David and Goliath by scepticswe, on Flickr

LightShow
Total Posts: 5035

That Leitz should be quite good, I have the 50/4.5(I think that's right).

helimat
Total Posts: 3736

Bought a Fuji X-A1 kit for $399... Then found out about the Fuji free 18mm program so quickly returned the X-A1 and picked up a X-E2! Obligatory cat pic:

pdmphoto
Total Posts: 3308

Hmmm.. could be an adapter issue, A7 reflection problem, or a copy of the lens that is no longer in spec? I have a OM 24/2 and it is on par with my excellent OM 24/2.8.

freaklikeme wrote:
pdmphoto wrote:
Or maybe the OM 24/2?

My favorite OM lens and one I picked up again a couple of days after I got my a7. That was a big disappointment. Flare in scenarios where it never flared on Canon, stronger fringing, and softer corners.

sceptic
Total Posts: 75

LightShow wrote:
That Leitz should be quite good, I have the 50/4.5(I think that's right).

You're quite right. I've only just briefly tested it but it is definitely sharp. Also, compared to my EL-Nikkor 50/2.8N (certainly no slouch), the contrast seems to be a bit higher with the Leitz. All in all, it's a keeper.

mcbroomf
Total Posts: 2378

I've been pretty "good" lately but saw a v.good price on a 200/2.8 Mamiya APO + converter and couldn't resist.

Mike

woodrim
Total Posts: 96

Reading posts from a page back, I find it interesting that folks might compare or consider a Jupiter-9 in the same breath as Leica or Rokkor lenses. They provide much different experiences; the Leica and Rokkor much closer to perfection, while the J-9 has a significantly different IQ. Often times with these old er designs, the IQ is a result of not being perfect optically, and there lies the interest. I have several lenses in that approximate focal length, all with different characteristics. If I want sharpness I turn to my Series 1 2.5/90, but more interesting IQ comes with the J-9 or Primotar. The three should not be compared except for defining differences in characteristics.

My most recent purchase is a Soligor 2.8/200. I'm not expecting it to compare well against my Series 1 3/200, but I was curious enough to want to try it.

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5714

woodrim wrote:
Reading posts from a page back, I find it interesting that folks might compare or consider a Jupiter-9 in the same breath as Leica or Rokkor lenses. They provide much different experiences; the Leica and Rokkor much closer to perfection, while the J-9 has a significantly different IQ. Often times with these old er designs, the IQ is a result of not being perfect optically, and there lies the interest. I have several lenses in that approximate focal length, all with different characteristics. If I want sharpness I turn to my Series 1 2.5/90, but more interesting IQ comes with the J-9 or Primotar. The three should not be compared except for defining differences in characteristics.

But the question wasn't "which lens is better?" The question was which lens would go better in a walk-around kit with a Pre-A Summilux 35 and a Jupiter 3.

freaklikeme

Latest purchase: Hasselblad CF Distagon 40/4 FLE with caps, spacer, and hood.

Now that the job I purchased the a7r for is complete, it can go, and I think I'm ready to part with the bulk of the Canon FD kit (the super-teles and the 80-200L stay, the 85L is a maybe, everything else will go), so the next adventure will be MF digital. I think I'm going to go Mamiya. It won't take advantage of Hassy lens' centrals shutters, but I wouldn't use them with strobes, so the chief advantage of the CS would be lost on me anyway. And I'd be able to use it on the bellows natively.

A tidbit of possible interest I learned in researching backs: Some older MF sensors (P25, for example) are prone to "sensor cast", the same kind of color vignetting mirrorless shooters get with RF wides.

freaklikeme

helimat wrote:
Bought a Fuji X-A1 kit for $399... Then found out about the Fuji free 18mm program so quickly returned the X-A1 and picked up a X-E2! Obligatory cat pic:

Congrats, Mat. And that shots is an awesome juxtaposition of elegant and goofy.

freaklikeme

pdmphoto wrote:
Hmmm.. could be an adapter issue, A7 reflection problem, or a copy of the lens that is no longer in spec? I have a OM 24/2 and it is on par with my excellent OM 24/2.8.

freaklikeme wrote:
pdmphoto wrote:
Or maybe the OM 24/2?

My favorite OM lens and one I picked up again a couple of days after I got my a7. That was a big disappointment. Flare in scenarios where it never flared on Canon, stronger fringing, and softer corners.

It's certainly possible there was an adapter issue (though three different adapters should've eliminated that). But it still looked worse than it did on my buddy's 5DIII.

carstenw
Total Posts: 15695

freaklikeme wrote:
A tidbit of possible interest I learned in researching backs: Some older MF sensors (P25, for example) are prone to "sensor cast", the same kind of color vignetting mirrorless shooters get with RF wides.

Yes, but the MF software and general process take that into account with sensor shadings, white shadings, and whatever they all call it. Phase One has a special way to integrate those files which is I suppose where the motivation for Adobe's Flat Field Plugin came from. I have a Sinar diffuse white filter from my MF days, which I still use sometimes. Just today it came in handy for producing a shading file for my Voigtländer 12mm f/5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar on the A7.

1       2       3              187      
       189       end