What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?
/forum/topic/982966/186

1       2       3              186      
       188              199       200       end

woodrim
Total Posts: 96

It happened again. Just picked up a Optische Werke Göttingen GmbH Westar 2.8/45. It seems a very tiny lens with M39 mount. I only bought it because it seems very rare.

LightShow
Total Posts: 5139

I just recieved my VNEX 2.0 http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=67487
Now I can mount some of my odd mount enlarger lenses.

LightShow

sebboh wrote:

jcolwell wrote:
SMC Pentax 85mm f/2.2 Soft.

I have never heard of that how is it "soft"?

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-85mm-F2.2-Soft-Lens.html

Slightly different than the Fuji 85/4 SF

jcolwell
Total Posts: 21546

sebboh
Total Posts: 10703

cool! thanks

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5849

sebboh wrote:
[the jupiter-9 doesn't have as funky a bokeh and is sharper wide open than the j-3, but still has the lovely glow.

I see what you mean about this. It's a little disappointing, because the 9 pairs up with 8 really well, but neither brings anything all that different from the Summicrons 50 and 90 (though I do prefer the stopless aperture control- something especially useful when it has enough blades to maintain a near perfect circle). I'm thinking I might pop the head off the 9 and turn it into a macro head for the bellows. It and the TE 135 will be "good bokeh" macros.

I have the feeling the Biotar 75/1.5 or the Helios 40-2 (or either the 75 or 80 Summilux) would be a better match, but since it's down to massive lenses anyway, it may as well be the Rokkor 85/1.7. It's smaller than those four and has better color than two. It's not quite as prone to swirl as the Biotar/Helios, but that'll keep it more in line with the 35 and 50.

So I'm thinking the FD 24L, Lux 35, Jup 3, and Rokkor 85. That should make a nice walk-around kit.

LightShow

They should work out just fine.

sebboh

freaklikeme wrote:
sebboh wrote:
[the jupiter-9 doesn't have as funky a bokeh and is sharper wide open than the j-3, but still has the lovely glow.

I see what you mean about this. It's a little disappointing, because the 9 pairs up with 8 really well, but neither brings anything all that different from the Summicrons 50 and 90 (though I do prefer the stopless aperture control- something especially useful when it has enough blades to maintain a near perfect circle). I'm thinking I might pop the head off the 9 and turn it into a macro head for the bellows. It and the TE 135 will be "good bokeh" macros.

I have the feeling the Biotar 75/1.5 or the Helios 40-2 (or either the 75 or 80 Summilux) would be a better match, but since it's down to massive lenses anyway, it may as well be the Rokkor 85/1.7. It's smaller than those four and has better color than two. It's not quite as prone to swirl as the Biotar/Helios, but that'll keep it more in line with the 35 and 50.

So I'm thinking the FD 24L, Lux 35, Jup 3, and Rokkor 85. That should make a nice walk-around kit.

yeah, the j-9 isn't so attractive if you already have a 90 cron pre-asph (i figured the j-9 and g90 combined were a lot cheaper than the cron). bokeh is more sonnarish though with the j-9, like the zm 85/2 only much lower contrast.

i've always been curious about the j-8, would it make a nice tiny budget normal for the a7? is it decently sharp stopped down towards the edges?

also, does the FD 24L really fit in with that lineup?

freaklikeme

sebboh wrote:
freaklikeme wrote:
sebboh wrote:

yeah, the j-9 isn't so attractive if you already have a 90 cron pre-asph (i figured the j-9 and g90 combined were a lot cheaper than the cron). bokeh is more sonnarish though with the j-9, like the zm 85/2 only much lower contrast.

i've always been curious about the j-8, would it make a nice tiny budget normal for the a7? is it decently sharp stopped down towards the edges?

Cheaper, yes, and once you're done with them, I'm sure they both be a pleasure to use. And it's not that I don't like the 9, it just wasn't what I was looking for in this little game I'm playing to shake up my complacency with the Leicas.

It's probably easier to send you the 8 than try to describe it. It's a deceptive little lens capable of some good surprises. A buddy of mine has it with him in Yellowstone right now, but when it gets back, I'll send it.

Yes and no on the 24L. It's the hardest of the four to color match, but in mono, it's surprisingly close to the Lux in many ways, though it has its own brand of bad bokeh.

BrendanSeabroo
Total Posts: 27

Just picked up a second hand Voigtlander 20mm. I had been holding out on getting this one as I have a Zeiss 18mm which is optically much better but 3 times the size of the Voigtlander pancake.

No more Voigtlander purchases for a while now, as there are none left:
EF - 20, 28, 40, 90 (for use with 5D)
NF - 40 (Permanently stays on film body)
Pk - 58 (Permanently stays on film body)

LightShow

BrendanSeabroo wrote:
Just picked up a second hand Voigtlander 20mm. I had been holding out on getting this one as I have a Zeiss 18mm which is optically much better but 3 times the size of the Voigtlander pancake.

I don't see the 125mm

freaklikeme

LightShow wrote:
BrendanSeabroo wrote:

I don't see the 125mm

Or the APO-Lanthar 180.

BrendanSeabroo
Total Posts: 27

:P
Yes you are both quite right. I think would will be a little wasted on me though as I don't normally use lenses that long (or pricy).

I am keeping an eye out for a nice SL series 1 75mm f2.5, but even they are going for about 20-30% more than I would be comfortable paying for one. One day maybe.

taemo
Total Posts: 433

it's finally here, huge thanks to Steve Huff!

can't wait to get some test shots while in the mountains this weekend

jcolwell
Total Posts: 21546

taemo wrote:
it's finally here, huge thanks to Steve Huff!...

Did you miss putting a period between "huge" and "thanks"?

taemo
Total Posts: 433

jcolwell wrote:
taemo wrote:
it's finally here, huge thanks to Steve Huff!...

Did you miss putting a period between "huge" and "thanks"?

haha, it is huge indeed, at least compared to M lenses, it is longer, wider and heavier than my Nokton ASPH but still smaller than the Leica Noctilux for 1/10th of the price

sebboh

freaklikeme wrote:
sebboh wrote:
freaklikeme wrote:
sebboh wrote:

Cheaper, yes, and once you're done with them, I'm sure they both be a pleasure to use. And it's not that I don't like the 9, it just wasn't what I was looking for in this little game I'm playing to shake up my complacency with the Leicas.

It's probably easier to send you the 8 than try to describe it. It's a deceptive little lens capable of some good surprises. A buddy of mine has it with him in Yellowstone right now, but when it gets back, I'll send it.

Yes and no on the 24L. It's the hardest of the four to color match, but in mono, it's surprisingly close to the Lux in many ways, though it has its own brand of bad bokeh.

oh well, i wouldn't worry too much about leica complacency, seems like a good place to be. with the rokkor 85/1.7 and the 90 cron pre-asph you seem to have things pretty nicely covered. maybe the 75 lux or biotar could be interesting. did you sell the FD 85L?

have you looked at the OM 21/2? that might another smaller wide option to go that line up instead of the 24L.

pdmphoto
Total Posts: 3427

Or maybe the OM 24/2?

freaklikeme

sebboh wrote:
oh well, i wouldn't worry too much about leica complacency, seems like a good place to be. with the rokkor 85/1.7 and the 90 cron pre-asph you seem to have things pretty nicely covered. maybe the 75 lux or biotar could be interesting. did you sell the FD 85L?

I'm not worried about it. I think it's fun. But I'm not looking to have 3k worth of fun, so both the 75's are out.

I haven't sold any of the FDs, though I will likely sell the T/S 35 if the Hassy Distagon 40 works out like I think it will.

sebboh wrote:
have you looked at the OM 21/2? that might another smaller wide option to go that line up instead of the 24L.

I had one when I had Canon cameras (DsIII/5D at the time), and I liked the lens, but not well enough to keep it (sold it to Michelle, who I think has since sold it). And I prefer OM lenses on Canon. I don't think they look as good on Sony.

freaklikeme

pdmphoto wrote:
Or maybe the OM 24/2?

My favorite OM lens and one I picked up again a couple of days after I got my a7. That was a big disappointment. Flare in scenarios where it never flared on Canon, stronger fringing, and softer corners.

1       2       3              186      
       188              199       200       end