What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?
/forum/topic/982966/186

1       2       3              186      
       188              266       267       end

naturephoto1
Total Posts: 3738

wiseguy010 wrote:
naturephoto1 wrote:
molson wrote:
naturephoto1 wrote:
molson wrote:
Well, it turns out my Zeiss C/Y 18mm f4 Distagon wasn't worth the wait - it's in pretty rough shape (not "EX++" as claimed, and there are sizeable amounts of coating removed from the rear element... and they guy now says he doesn't accept returns. Grrr....

Sorry to hear that. Was this an ebay purchase and payment through Paypal? If so, you should contact either/both and complain that the item was not as described. You should be able to get your money back. Also, if it is such a purchase, I would complain about the seller to ebay and Paypal and quite probably leave negative feedback.

Rich

Yes, it was eBay and PayPal, but as I've learned from personal experience, you don't get anything from PayPal in a case like this unless the seller cooperates, and the cost to return the item from Canada to the seller in Japan is quite steep (and not refundable). I may be better off just re-selling it "as is" and saving a lot of hassle.

Is this the listing?:

http://tinyurl.com/nvtfns5

According to the seller:

Returns are accepted ONLY if the item was not the item described.

The item is not as described. I would definitely contact ebay and or Paypal. They should at least be made aware of the seller not living up to his description and his return policy which you say has not been met. Also, I would ask ebay and Paypal about leaving negative feedback for the seller and to try to use this as leverage to get the shipping and sale price returned.

Rich

Hmm, I can clearly see the marks on the rear-element on one of the pictures. But it doesn't match the description.

Looking at the photos provided, I would also say that the rating is somewhat optimistic. I would at best say that the lens is E to E+ in condition. But, everyone has their own rating system. An E++ rating to me would be close to M or M- condition. The lens is definitely not close to a M- condition to me at all. There are definite indications of loss of paint in places and I too can see some marks on the rear lens element. But, you can not tell what the marks really are from the photos.

But, the lens description to me is not what is shown in the photos.

Rich

sritri
Total Posts: 4022

Tamron's: 24-70 VC and 150-600 VC for Nikon

molson
Total Posts: 13048

naturephoto1 wrote:

The item is not as described. I would definitely contact ebay and or Paypal. They should at least be made aware of the seller not living up to his description and his return policy which you say has not been met. Also, I would ask ebay and Paypal about leaving negative feedback for the seller and to try to use this as leverage to get the shipping and sale price returned.

Rich

Threatening to leave negative feedback is pointless - if a seller complains about negative feedback, eBay will remove it with no questions asked.

prashant
Total Posts: 645

FD 20-35L, FD35TS, FD20mm, FD35-105/3.5, FD100mm

carstenw
Total Posts: 16163

molson wrote:
naturephoto1 wrote:

Rich

Threatening to leave negative feedback is pointless - if a seller complains about negative feedback, eBay will remove it with no questions asked.

It seems that it may not work in Japan, the seller has another, similar sounding negative rating in the last 12 months.

armendzh
Total Posts: 42

I recently bought Canon FD 400mm f/4.5.

Been enjoying shooting birds and such with it, but not sure if I should take it to my next trip to Portugal. Need to figure out how to carry it with me.

LightShow
Total Posts: 5886

IMO the moment the optics have issues it will drop below E, so there is no way that can be an E++ with coating damage.
My first steps would be to contact the seller, if that fails, lodge a dispute with eBay, if that fails give bad feedback, if that gets removed, plaster their eBay name all over the net with warnings, if you pay through Paypal with a credit card you may have other options.

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 7216

Added a Hassy CF 100/3.5. I am very much looking forward to shooting that lens on the 645D.

wayne seltzer
Total Posts: 4782

Congrats Brad!

simonw
Total Posts: 64

molson wrote:
Well, it turns out my Zeiss C/Y 18mm f4 Distagon wasn't worth the wait - it's in pretty rough shape (not "EX++" as claimed, and there are sizeable amounts of coating removed from the rear element... and they guy now says he doesn't accept returns. Grrr....

if you compare that to other examples of the 18mm MM it looks very much like this has been 'adapted' really badly to try and fit it on an ALT body. there is a slightly raised fin that looks shaved off and the coating damage to the rear element sounds like mirror strike (checking pebbleplace the 18mm gets an 'iffy' rating in the 5D).

cheers, simon w.

molson
Total Posts: 13048

Moving on from the Zeiss 18mm fiasco, I picked up a couple of Zeiss Tuoits (12mm and 32mm) for my X-T1 from another forum member.

buggz2k
Total Posts: 1938

Picked up my modified Meopta Meostigmat 70/1.4 and VNEX Uni kit today.
Can't wait to try this out.
Supposedly, the modification has made the lens closer to f1.2 now, with rear lens mount change.

musingclouds
Total Posts: 447

Not sure if totally counts as a lens...but I just bought an RX1R...

freaklikeme

wayne seltzer wrote:
Congrats Brad!

Thanks, Wayne!

freaklikeme

musingclouds wrote:
Not sure if totally counts as a lens...but I just bought an RX1R...

It counts. You bought the lens- the camera just came wrapped around it.

musingclouds
Total Posts: 447

Here's hoping I don't regret it. After seeing the beautiful images posted and missing my x100s, I figured this would be a step up.

Besides the fact that it cost more than my arm and leg and kidney and the autofocusing is reputedly slow.

LightShow
Total Posts: 5886

buggz2k wrote:
Picked up my modified Meopta Meostigmat 70/1.4 and VNEX Uni kit today.
Can't wait to try this out.
Supposedly, the modification has made the lens closer to f1.2 now, with rear lens mount change.

I'm sure you will enjoy it, it's real fun for portraits.

CamOp
Total Posts: 33

Olympus OM Zuiko macro 50mm f/2.0

yurihuta
Total Posts: 377

just unpacked a Pentax M* 67 400mm f4 ED (IF)... what a beautifully made lens.

I'm planning on using it with my 645N and seeing if it will work well on my Nikon D7000 and even autofocus with a modified TC-16A converter.

freaklikeme

^^^ That's quite a hunk of glass, yurihuta. I've seen some stunning images taken with it. Can you explain how you'll get AF with the converter?

1       2       3              186      
       188              266       267       end