What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?
/forum/topic/982966/184

1       2       3              184      
       186              267       268       end

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 7223

sebboh wrote:
oh well, i wouldn't worry too much about leica complacency, seems like a good place to be. with the rokkor 85/1.7 and the 90 cron pre-asph you seem to have things pretty nicely covered. maybe the 75 lux or biotar could be interesting. did you sell the FD 85L?

I'm not worried about it. I think it's fun. But I'm not looking to have 3k worth of fun, so both the 75's are out.

I haven't sold any of the FDs, though I will likely sell the T/S 35 if the Hassy Distagon 40 works out like I think it will.

sebboh wrote:
have you looked at the OM 21/2? that might another smaller wide option to go that line up instead of the 24L.

I had one when I had Canon cameras (DsIII/5D at the time), and I liked the lens, but not well enough to keep it (sold it to Michelle, who I think has since sold it). And I prefer OM lenses on Canon. I don't think they look as good on Sony.

freaklikeme

pdmphoto wrote:
Or maybe the OM 24/2?

My favorite OM lens and one I picked up again a couple of days after I got my a7. That was a big disappointment. Flare in scenarios where it never flared on Canon, stronger fringing, and softer corners.

New guy
Total Posts: 27

A newbie Just going back into photography after a long 25 year break. Just recently bought a couple Zeiss lenses - 21mm, 100mm mp and 55mm 1.4 Otus in the last couple of months to go with the 5D3.

molson
Total Posts: 13055

Picked up an M.Zuiko 12-40mm f2.8 - I'm very (pleasantly) surprised at how good it is.

briantho
Total Posts: 1122

I bought the Sony Zeiss 24/1.8, a lens I always wanted when I had the NEX-7, but couldn't justify paying $1000 for.

Now I found it for a very good price, and plan on using it with my NEX-5r as my "always with me" camera/lens combo. Perhaps I'll upgrade to an A6000 later.

molson
Total Posts: 13055

After using the Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 PRO lens for a couple of days, I splurged and bought an M.Zuiko ED 75mm 1.8 and ordered an M.Zuiko 12mm f2 - apparently Olympus is now selling this lens in the black version for the same price as the rather tacky-looking silver version.

mountain_drew
Total Posts: 147

Got a pentax PZ-10,
SMC Pentax-FA 70-200mm F4-5.6
SMC Pentax-f 28mm f/2.8
Tamron adaptall 90mm f/2.5 macro
Pentak 28-80 without further detail

All for 140$. I actually just wanted the Tamron lens, and the rest is just bonus.

jcolwell
Total Posts: 28230

mountain_drew wrote:
Got a pentax PZ-10,
SMC Pentax-FA 70-200mm F4-5.6
SMC Pentax-f 28mm f/2.8
Tamron adaptall 90mm f/2.5 macro
Pentak 28-80 without further detail

All for 140$. I actually just wanted the Tamron lens, and the rest is just bonus.

That's a decent price for a SP 90/2.5 in neat mint condition.

The SMCP-F 28/2.8 is regarded as an OK lens (not 'good' or better), and the SMCP-FA 70-200/4.5-6 is less than OK,

SMC Pentax and other stuff database, SPLOSdb (old), http://tinyurl.com/7wpn24n

arstein
Total Posts: 116

Canon 135mm 3.5 LTM with M mount adapter. Condition, as though it just came from the manufacturer.

arduluth
Total Posts: 1402

I just bought a Contax G 90mm, though I haven't received it yet. If it's better than the Canon FDn 100/2.8 I've been using as a tele, my main kit will be Contax G.

sceptic
Total Posts: 205

Saw an ad for a Leitz enlarger and persuaded the owner to sell me just the lens (to save a fortune on shipping). It's a Leitz Focotar 40/2.8, and it's literally the size of a ping pong ball (here with a Fuji 35/1.4 for reference):
David and Goliath by scepticswe, on Flickr

LightShow
Total Posts: 5889

That Leitz should be quite good, I have the 50/4.5(I think that's right).

helimat
Total Posts: 3991

Bought a Fuji X-A1 kit for $399... Then found out about the Fuji free 18mm program so quickly returned the X-A1 and picked up a X-E2! Obligatory cat pic:

pdmphoto
Total Posts: 3938

Hmmm.. could be an adapter issue, A7 reflection problem, or a copy of the lens that is no longer in spec? I have a OM 24/2 and it is on par with my excellent OM 24/2.8.

freaklikeme wrote:
pdmphoto wrote:
Or maybe the OM 24/2?

My favorite OM lens and one I picked up again a couple of days after I got my a7. That was a big disappointment. Flare in scenarios where it never flared on Canon, stronger fringing, and softer corners.

sceptic
Total Posts: 205

LightShow wrote:
That Leitz should be quite good, I have the 50/4.5(I think that's right).

You're quite right. I've only just briefly tested it but it is definitely sharp. Also, compared to my EL-Nikkor 50/2.8N (certainly no slouch), the contrast seems to be a bit higher with the Leitz. All in all, it's a keeper.

mcbroomf
Total Posts: 3575

I've been pretty "good" lately but saw a v.good price on a 200/2.8 Mamiya APO + converter and couldn't resist.

Mike

woodrim
Total Posts: 96

Reading posts from a page back, I find it interesting that folks might compare or consider a Jupiter-9 in the same breath as Leica or Rokkor lenses. They provide much different experiences; the Leica and Rokkor much closer to perfection, while the J-9 has a significantly different IQ. Often times with these old er designs, the IQ is a result of not being perfect optically, and there lies the interest. I have several lenses in that approximate focal length, all with different characteristics. If I want sharpness I turn to my Series 1 2.5/90, but more interesting IQ comes with the J-9 or Primotar. The three should not be compared except for defining differences in characteristics.

My most recent purchase is a Soligor 2.8/200. I'm not expecting it to compare well against my Series 1 3/200, but I was curious enough to want to try it.

freaklikeme

woodrim wrote:
Reading posts from a page back, I find it interesting that folks might compare or consider a Jupiter-9 in the same breath as Leica or Rokkor lenses. They provide much different experiences; the Leica and Rokkor much closer to perfection, while the J-9 has a significantly different IQ. Often times with these old er designs, the IQ is a result of not being perfect optically, and there lies the interest. I have several lenses in that approximate focal length, all with different characteristics. If I want sharpness I turn to my Series 1 2.5/90, but more interesting IQ comes with the J-9 or Primotar. The three should not be compared except for defining differences in characteristics.

But the question wasn't "which lens is better?" The question was which lens would go better in a walk-around kit with a Pre-A Summilux 35 and a Jupiter 3.

freaklikeme

Latest purchase: Hasselblad CF Distagon 40/4 FLE with caps, spacer, and hood.

Now that the job I purchased the a7r for is complete, it can go, and I think I'm ready to part with the bulk of the Canon FD kit (the super-teles and the 80-200L stay, the 85L is a maybe, everything else will go), so the next adventure will be MF digital. I think I'm going to go Mamiya. It won't take advantage of Hassy lens' centrals shutters, but I wouldn't use them with strobes, so the chief advantage of the CS would be lost on me anyway. And I'd be able to use it on the bellows natively.

A tidbit of possible interest I learned in researching backs: Some older MF sensors (P25, for example) are prone to "sensor cast", the same kind of color vignetting mirrorless shooters get with RF wides.

freaklikeme

helimat wrote:
Bought a Fuji X-A1 kit for $399... Then found out about the Fuji free 18mm program so quickly returned the X-A1 and picked up a X-E2! Obligatory cat pic:

Congrats, Mat. And that shots is an awesome juxtaposition of elegant and goofy.

1       2       3              184      
       186              267       268       end