What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?
/forum/topic/982966/183

1       2       3              183      
       185              205       206       end

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5887

I picked up a Nikkor 50/2.8 and 75/2.8 in Bronica S2 mount to be adapted to my Mamiya bellows. The 50 was sourced from the US, so it's here, and the 75 is coming from Germany. Unfortunately, the 75 includes the piece I need to make the adapter, so I'm going to have to figure out a way to play with the 50 in the meantime (drilled out body cap and tape?).

I also picked up an MR-Telyt-R 500/8, or, as my buddy calls it, V8-can lens. I love my FD 500/4.5L enough to plan entire days just to use it, but it's too much of a beast to drag around with me when it "might be useful", so I'll see if this is an acceptable alternate for those days. I was just going to get a cheaper Rokkor CAT, since they're both apparently manufactured by Minolta, but I couldn't see a comfortable way to hand-hold the Rokkor. It looks like it's 90% focusing grip. The Leica actually has a place to put your hand.

Peire
Total Posts: 1403

Recently I had a bad luck and came across a few lemon copies of lenses well known for their very good/excellent IQ (OM Zuiko MC 24/2.8,C/Y Distagon 35/2.8 MM,Canon FDn 24/2,Hexanon AR 135/2.5).All of them looked unused,so I warn fellow FMers to be suspicious when old alt lens looks too good.

Not to repeat the same mistake this time,I've just bought a little used copy of the Canon FD 135/2 from it's previous owner instead of a mint copy offered by some internet shop.

sceptic
Total Posts: 89

In what way were they lemons? Damaged in some way or just having poor IQ despite looking fine?

LightShow
Total Posts: 5197

sebboh wrote:
finally got the smaller late version of the rokkor 28/2, fits much nicer on the a7. will have to see how it compares to my older MD W version:

i also got my first non alt lens in forever:

What's this world coming to, sebboh buys an AF lens......

Bluffer
Total Posts: 251

Most recent . . .

Meyer Optik Gorlitz Orestor 135/2.8 in M42 mount - mint, optically perfect

Tair-11A 135/2.8 in M42 mount - mint, optically sublime

Revuenon MC 55mm f/1.2 in Pentax K-mount - very good copy of this stonkingly fast sharp beast

Sony Zeiss FE 55/1.8 - new

Pentax-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited (to complete my set of the Three Amigos) - used, Made in Japan copy

sebboh
Total Posts: 10763

LightShow wrote:
sebboh wrote:
finally got the smaller late version of the rokkor 28/2, fits much nicer on the a7. will have to see how it compares to my older MD W version:

i won't use the AF at least.

Bluffer
Total Posts: 251

Add to the above . . .

Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED IF UMC in Sony E mount.

Downloaded the Adobe lens profile to get rid of mustache distortion. Fingers crossed.

LightShow

sebboh wrote:
LightShow wrote:
sebboh wrote:

i won't use the AF at least.

We'll let it go for now, but we'll be keeping an eye on you....

Manual Only Focusing Organization
MOFO

Hope it works out for ya.

kosmoskatten
Total Posts: 3046

Hahaha MOFO (OMG, ROFL)

Well this MOFO acts in accordande with the Uplift Party Plan:
Just picked up a Leica R80-200/4 in excellent condition. Sure looks like a great performer based on first shots down town. I haven't owned a zoom lens the past... ...fifteen years?

Also picked up a Summarit 50/2.5 and there is a Contax 60/2.8 C version en route from Japan, possibly replacing the S-Planar 1:1 as I seldom churn the helicoid past 1:2.

The Summarit has surprised me with the quality of the lens and nice drawing style.

That A7 has had me rotating my lens line up and rethinking it. For better and worse, we'll see.

W.T. Jones
Total Posts: 153

MOFO...very good!

I just bought a Fujinon XF56mm 1.2. to use on a Fuji camera. But somehow that does not seem to be Alt to me even though they say it is.

Peire
Total Posts: 1403

sceptic wrote:
In what way were they lemons? Damaged in some way or just having poor IQ despite looking fine?

They were just bad optically (still soft stopped down 2 f stops or deceneterd or showing huge amount of ghosting/flare for no reason).No wonder no one wanted to use them,which accounts for their nearly mint status years after production.

atwl77
Total Posts: 165

lol...

Alternatively... Manual Only Focusing Optics.

e.g "I just bought this MOFO today..."

sebboh

for fear of losing my MOFO status i got rollei zeiss 50/1.4 with the metal focus ring:

both the focus ring and aperture ring feel much smoother and more nicely damped than the copies of the c/y version i've tried.

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5887

sebboh wrote:
for fear of losing my MOFO status i got rollei zeiss 50/1.4 with the metal focus ring:

both the focus ring and aperture ring feel much smoother and more nicely damped than the copies of the c/y version i've tried.

Nice. I was going to make fun of you for buying a lens with only three aperture blades, but I guess it's just the Rollei Distagon 35/1.4 that got saddled with triangle bokeh.

Tariq Gibran
Total Posts: 10904

The 50/1.4 Rollei Zeiss Made in Germany is a fairly sought after lens and is reputed to be very sharp.

I compared the Rollei 35/2.8 (Zeiss Made in W. Germany) to the CY Zeiss 35/2.8 recently and found the Rollei actually sharper into the corners on FF.

The Rollei's are really nice to use - just don't go trying to take one apart. What a nightmare!

Tariq Gibran

I posted these pics elsewhere though I guess they belong here as I just received this a few days back. I also received a late Minolta MC 35/2.8 with 5 element optical design (same or similar to the later MD versions - and tests the same as those as I have all of them at the moment).

Minolta MD 100/2.5

With built-in hood extended:

Front of lens:

LightShow

sebboh wrote:

Ooh shiny!

sebboh

freaklikeme wrote:
sebboh wrote:

Nice. I was going to make fun of you for buying a lens with only three aperture blades, but I guess it's just the Rollei Distagon 35/1.4 that got saddled with triangle bokeh.

i think the 85/1.4 has three as well. too bad because i really like the body design of both those.

tariq - any idea how that minolta stands up to the nikkor?

Tariq Gibran

sebboh wrote:

tariq - any idea how that minolta stands up to the nikkor?

I can's say for sure as It's been about a decade since I owned the Nikkor 105/2.5.

dswiger
Total Posts: 6572

Latest alt glass is a Canon FD 35mm f2.8 Tilt Shift. Adapted to Sony A7r

1       2       3              183      
       185              205       206       end