What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?
/forum/topic/982966/181

1       2       3              181      
       183              192       193       end

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5811

^^^ I haven't used them on the same body, but when I compare my Zuiko shots with a DsIII and C/Y Tessar 45 shots with the a7, the Zuiko has better extreme corners than the Zeiss.

However, the Summicron 40/2 beats them both for across the frame sharpness and prettier bokeh, but with over twice the MFD of the Zuiko.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10680

freaklikeme wrote:
^^^ I haven't used them on the same body, but when I compare my Zuiko shots with a DsIII and C/Y Tessar 45 shots with the a7, the Zuiko has better extreme corners than the Zeiss.

However, the Summicron 40/2 beats them both for across the frame sharpness and prettier bokeh, but with over twice the MFD of the Zuiko.

thank god for helicoid adapters!

freaklikeme

Amen.

Peire
Total Posts: 1344

Fred Bruche wrote:
Peire wrote:

Shall i take Oly Zuiko 40/2 pancake?Never tried one,but it's probably like other pancakes of it's time.

I did quick a head to head comparison with the Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, they are very close in terms of IQ. The Zuiko is of course one stop faster, and very good sharp wide open. I'd say go for it!

Thank you for the info.I decided to go for it.The EF 40/2.8 is a very good lens.

The guy who's reguralry bringing alt lenses to me from Germany says it is in pristine condition.The price is also quite attractive i.e. 100 Euro.So,I'll get this and another 24/2.8 OM Zuiko from him. .Both will arive next week.

buggz2k
Total Posts: 1685

Is the Canon pancake a focus via wire lens?
Meaning, power is required to focus even manually?

Fred Bruche wrote:
Peire wrote:

Shall i take Oly Zuiko 40/2 pancake?Never tried one,but it's probably like other pancakes of it's time.

I did quick a head to head comparison with the Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, they are very close in terms of IQ. The Zuiko is of course one stop faster, and very good sharp wide open. I'd say go for it!

tsdevine
Total Posts: 1149

My latest acquisition is a near mint Minolta Rokkor SI MC 28mm f/2.5 lens to use on my Sony a7R. Now I'm just in the process of trying to bleach out the yellow cast from one of the lens elements due to the rare earth elements used in that particular element.

It's a beautiful lens, not sure it will best my Nikon Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AI-s. But I decided it was worth trying.

-Tim

tsdevine

The EF 40mm STM is focus by wire.

buggz2k wrote:

Fred Bruche wrote:
Peire wrote:

buggz2k
Total Posts: 1685

Ahh, thanks, thought I read somewhere one was so.
I hate focus via wire lens, though, I have two of them that I really like.
I didn't know until after the fact.
They work great for native mounts, but not so, otherwise.

tsdevine wrote:

The EF 40mm STM is focus by wire.

buggz2k wrote:

Fred Bruche wrote:
Peire wrote:

Peire
Total Posts: 1344

tsdevine wrote:

My latest acquisition is a near mint Minolta Rokkor SI MC 28mm f/2.5 lens to use on my Sony a7R. Now I'm just in the process of trying to bleach out the yellow cast from one of the lens elements due to the rare earth elements used in that particular element.

It's a beautiful lens, not sure it will best my Nikon Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AI-s. But I decided it was worth trying.

-Tim

The Rokkor MC 28/2.5 is highly likely to best the Nikkor 28/2.8 in the overall crispness and oof blurr.I have not bleach out my two copies.I rather tend to use them,when the yellow cast is desirable.Those are great and still very cheap lenses for us to enjoy.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10680

tsdevine wrote:

-Tim

just an FYI. I'm told that yellow element on that lens is near the optical center of the lens, so you can bleach it much faster by separating the front and back optical cells (most rokkors this can be done by grabbing the rear one and unscrewing) and facing the interior of the yellow one towards the light.

tsdevine

Thanks, I did hear it was "buried" deep inside. I might give it a try....but 5 hours of treatment from a UV LED bulb made a pretty amazing difference. After about 17 hours it looked clear. But I tested it and I swore there was still a faint yellow disc in the center of the frame. I'll probably let it go for another day or so.....if I'm still seeing a little, I might give that a shot. It was interesting to see how the yellowing changed as I stopped down. It turned into a yellow ball in the center of the frame when stopped down all the way. Guess that's the thickest part of the element coming into play.

I was quite surprised how quickly I was able to make in impact. But I've also read that sometimes it's hard to get it all bleached out.

sebboh wrote:

tsdevine wrote:

-Tim

just an FYI. I'm told that yellow element on that lens is near the optical center of the lens, so you can bleach it much faster by separating the front and back optical cells (most rokkors this can be done by grabbing the rear one and unscrewing) and facing the interior of the yellow one towards the light.

tsdevine

I'm more of a stopped down landscape type shooter...and up to this point, my copy of the Nkkor is proving to be hard to beat. (At least for my shooting...it's sooo good stopped down over most of the frame, I'm willing to give up a little in the corners.) I haven't found anything that's sharper in the corners without sacrificing too much in the center. I'm guessing at some point I'll pick up the C/Y Distagon 2.8......but they seem to be somewhat scarce. Especially as most people say the MMJ version is best. Anyway, I digress.

The Rokkor only shows/showed a fairly even color cast at wider apertures. Stop down to f/8 and smaller you get a yellow ring in the center of the frame that eventually turns into a disk.

No problem with choosing to leave them yellowed. I'm just trying to see what it was capable of before the yellowing set in. Can't remember who, but there was someone on DPReview that praised it after being bleached.

Wait another 40 years and it will be yellow again I guess.

Peire wrote:
tsdevine wrote:

-Tim

The Rokkor MC 28/2.5 is highly likely to best the Nikkor 28/2.8 in the overall crispness and oof blurr.I have not bleach out my two copies.I rather tend to use them,when the yellow cast is desirable.Those are great and still very cheap lenses for us to enjoy.

LightShow
Total Posts: 5079

tsdevine wrote:

-Tim

I really like my 28/2.5,
I don't have any uploaded from my A7r yet.. Must fix that soon.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/tags/2825/

Massimo Foti
Total Posts: 459

Sorry for cross posting but since fellow forum members may get a good deal, I felt it was worth posting here too

Last week I was in Munich as a tourist, stopped at Foto Gregor just to enjoy their display and they had a whole series of second-hand, pristine looking ZE lenses: 21, 25, 35 f/2, 35 f/1.4, 50, 85 and 100. Totally unexpected!

As far as I understand, second-hand lenses are not listed on their website, but you may try contact them directly:
http://www.foto-gregor-gruppe.de/muenchen/shop/specials.asp

After pondering for a whole day about it, I went back and got the 21 mm for 1050 euro. It's my first manual focus lens ever. First shots are visible here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1307609

jcolwell
Total Posts: 21147

Massimo, your nickname should be "The Enabler".

LightShow
Total Posts: 5079

Just picked up a 28mm Elmarit-R 3cam ver-I

Kingfishphoto
Total Posts: 6849

Might it be possible to mount these lenses on a bellows or helicoid focusing mount ? Are they the standard enlarging thread mount ? They are at my sons home so i have not attempted to remove them yet.
Thanks
Harry Palmer

freaklikeme

Kingfishphoto wrote:
Might it be possible to mount these lenses on a bellows or helicoid focusing mount ? Are they the standard enlarging thread mount ? They are at my sons home so i have not attempted to remove them yet.
Thanks
Harry Palmer

They'd be fine on bellows, Harry. Most enlarging lenses that I've come across have a standard M39 thread, and it's easy to find M39 adapters for most of the popular bellows (C/Y may prove to be a bit tougher). Depending on the focal length, you might be able to find helicoids that will allow for infinity.

sceptic
Total Posts: 78

I use a M42 focusing helicoid/adapter (with Fuji X mount at one end and M42 at the other) and a M39-M42 "step-up ring" screwed onto my enlarger lens. Works great. However, the M42 adapter will not give infinity focus, since the M39 enlarger (EL-Nikkor) apparently has a shorter flange distance than M42 lenses.

deoredx
Total Posts: 49

Olympus 12-40 2.8 Pro

1       2       3              181      
       183              192       193       end