What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?
/forum/topic/982966/175

1       2       3              175      
       177              183       184       end

TMaG82
Total Posts: 443

Bubble is single handily keeping the camera business afloat with his purchases.

Latest for me is the a7 with the 28-70, the 35 and 55 primes. Also decided to splurge for the Zeiss filters this time as opposed to my standard B+W filters and at least the packaging is more impressive.

Bubble
Total Posts: 1991

TMaG82 wrote:
Bubble is single handily keeping the camera business afloat with his purchases.

Lol...someone got to do it .

Olympus 12-40 and Pana 35-100 arrived today.

molson
Total Posts: 10407

Bought and returned a Sony Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar FE 24-70mm f4 ZA OSS - a frighteningly bad lens.

I also picked up another Zeiss Distagon 21mm f2.8 ZE - if I can find a workable copy of the Metabones adapter, I want to do some side-by-side comparisons with my C/Y-mount Distagon.

jcolwell
Total Posts: 20252

molson wrote:
...I want to do some side-by-side comparisons with my C/Y-mount Distagon.

That'll be interesting to see.

molson
Total Posts: 10407

Trying to decide which one I like best... so far the results are much closer than I expected.

Sagar
Total Posts: 976

Latest for me M9 with Leica 50/f2.5 After dreaming about it for 10 years I finally got Leica

Gary Clennan
Total Posts: 4826

Deleted

Alpha_Geist
Total Posts: 314

Zeiss Touit 50mm f/2.8M Lens (Fujifilm X-Mount)
Fujinon XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8

Ready in time for my trip back to Japan!

Bubble

Alpha_Geist wrote:

how is the 50mm macro?

Bubble

my 2nd fleet of GoPro Hero 3 and 3+ Black Edition.

Alpha_Geist

Bubble wrote:
Alpha_Geist wrote:

how is the 50mm macro?

I just picked up the macro yesterday on my lunch break. I haven't had time to run it through its paces, but here's what I've noticed from the short time I've played with it:

- The build of the lens feels quite solid. Not quite comparable to the ZF/ZE line of lenses where the lens felt like a little tank in your hand, but more of a small, but dense and and tightly working unit. I really like the feel of it.

- The rubber grip kind of threw me off a bit since this is my first Touit lens. The rubber has a nice smoothness to it while maintaining a "catchy" grip. It's a nice texture, and doesn't feel cheap.

- I have it paired with my X-T1 and battery grip. With the grip, the lens feels well balanced and easy to support when holding in landscape and portrait orientations. I've yet to remove the grip, but my feeling is that it will feel front (lens) heavy without it (the grip).

- The lens hood is plastic, but rather thick. It doesn't feel cheap. I just wish the lettering on the hood (and lens too) faced upward as opposed to on the bottom when mounted. It definitely makes the lens look much larger with it on.

- The lens cap is a major step forward from their ZE/ZF lens caps. I've owned many ZE lenses, and this is the first time that I will be using the zeiss lens cap. For my Canon Zeiss I would replace the lens cap with a Nikon one (haha) as I felt Nikon's lens caps were better than even Canon's caps.

- Rear lens cap is simple, but I might replace it with a Fuji brand x-mount rear cap. The Zeiss cap sort of feels "loose".

- There isn't a distance scale on the lens. This might bother some people, but for my macro use I'd never miss it since I rarely use the distance scales on AF lenses. For manual focusing, what you see in the EVF is what you get and since the MF mechanism is electronic (fly by wire), you can't be hasty when manual focusing.

The auto focus isn't going to win any awards and even has a slight pause when the EVF is zoomed in when half pressing the shutter to focus. It feels like a second pause before focus snaps. Doesn't bother me as this won't be used for BIF or tiny toddlers running circle around kitchen tables (lol).

I was VERY impressed with the MFD of this lens. I was so close to my subject, that I felt as if I sneezed or had a light cough, the lens would touch as I was around an inch or two away. This is a great way of intimidating your subject!

I haven't uploaded any of my brief captures yet, so I don't have any comments on color, sharpness, OOF areas and the like. I've read that CA and distortion are VERY well controlled though.

crazeazn
Total Posts: 1710

found a fellow FMer! (I posted a WTB for a sonnar and he showed up with zeiss ikon)

Untitled by crazeazn, on Flickr

atwl77
Total Posts: 162

Got the Zeiss FE 35/2.8 lens......... and an A7R body to go with it

astrodave
Total Posts: 325

I just picked up a Canon fd 300 2.8 from KEH in BGN condition. Pretty worn on the exterior, but the glass looks good and focus is smooth.

At 2.8, one of the aperture blades doesn't completely retract, but all the blades close up correctly at each stop...I don't think this is going to be an issue.

There is some rotational play in the rear section (from the rotating tripod mount)...maybe a bit more than I'd like, but I can probably live with it...for others that have this lens, is this an issue on your copy?

Here's a couple of shots (posted in other threads here):

boat-DSC02232 by crosseyed-cricket, on Flickr

DSC02255 by crosseyed-cricket, on Flickr

One of the things I'm excited about with this lens is that there is enough flange-sensor backfocus distance that I can connect my monochrome astronomical CCD camera for astrophotography (QHY9-M)...as soon as I can figure out an fd to t-thread adapter. There's not enough distance for the filter wheel, but since the drop-in filter is a 48mm thread, it I can use the filters in the lens instead! :-)

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5556

astrodave wrote:
I just picked up a Canon fd 300 2.8 from KEH in BGN condition. Pretty worn on the exterior, but the glass looks good and focus is smooth.

At 2.8, one of the aperture blades doesn't completely retract, but all the blades close up correctly at each stop...I don't think this is going to be an issue.

There is some rotational play in the rear section (from the rotating tripod mount)...maybe a bit more than I'd like, but I can probably live with it...for others that have this lens, is this an issue on your copy?

I don't have any rotational play in mine at all Dave. It's very solid.

Can't wait to see the astro shots, though. What kind of tripod head do you use for long lenses and astro?

crazeazn
Total Posts: 1710

any of yall have the voigtlander close focus adapter? how do you like it?

Alpha_Geist

crazeazn wrote:

I have the VME Close Up Adapter. It's construction is solid without any play on my a7. The close focusing helicoid is smooth, but a bit stiff. What really seals the deal is the ability to lock the helicoid at infinity and when fully extended. If you're on the fence about it, I would definitely make the purchase.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/982966/168#12273293

joanlvh
Total Posts: 1280

Molson, you could throw the Voigt 28mm 2.8 into the mix, like to know how you think it compares!
We have been in Alberta for the last 8 days, first time, your province is beautiful

astrodave

freaklikeme wrote:
astrodave wrote:

I don't have any rotational play in mine at all Dave. It's very solid.

Can't wait to see the astro shots, though. What kind of tripod head do you use for long lenses and astro?

I removed the rear assembly last night and put a very thin coat of silicone grease on the barrel...that has removed the slop...there's still a small amount of play as I think the notches for the barrel lock have worn a bit...but problem solved I think!

For my astrophotography, I use an Orion Atlas German Equatorial Mount (GEM) with a guide scope. Here it is with one of my other alt-lens purchases..a very nice Pentax 6x7 150 f/2.8 connected to my QHY9 camera.

DSC01427 by crosseyed-cricket, on Flickr

DSC01429 by crosseyed-cricket, on Flickr

astrodave

Alpha_Geist wrote:
crazeazn wrote:

I have the VME Close Up Adapter. It's construction is solid without any play on my a7. The close focusing helicoid is smooth, but a bit stiff. What really seals the deal is the ability to lock the helicoid at infinity and when fully extended. If you're on the fence about it, I would definitely make the purchase.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/982966/168#12273293

+1 on the VME. Its expensive, but it allows me to get some unique close shots with my RF glass that would not have been possible otherwise. Very well made and easy to use.

1       2       3              175      
       177              183       184       end