What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?
/forum/topic/982966/172

1       2       3              172      
       174              199       200       end

LightShow
Total Posts: 5142

Peire wrote:
LightShow wrote:
Just bought a replacement Rokkor HH 35/1.8

Good move.I did the same last year.They are very special.I like their crispness most of all.

I barely got to shoot with the last one before it jumped out of my pocket to freedom.

The aperture on my 85/1.7 is sticking, so it will be getting a clean and relube, it will soon be as smooth and easy to focus as my 58/1.2 is.

lenticular11
Total Posts: 698

Bought this and received it today.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/m7o2jf9

Industar 61 LTM (52/53/55 f2.8 lens - focal length varies in the description and on the lens markings)
My best ever lens purchase - certainly as far as VFM is concerned...it cost me just shy of Australian$39 including postage.

I tried it on my A7R this afternoon and I had trouble distinguishing its performance at f5.6, from that of my immaculate Summicron Dual Range 50!

Peire
Total Posts: 1374

LightShow wrote:
Peire wrote:
LightShow wrote:
Just bought a replacement Rokkor HH 35/1.8

Good move.I did the same last year.They are very special.I like their crispness most of all.

I barely got to shoot with the last one before it jumped out of my pocket to freedom.

The aperture on my 85/1.7 is sticking, so it will be getting a clean and relube, it will soon be as smooth and easy to focus as my 58/1.2 is.

My 85/1.7 MC PF acquired 2 weeks ago is also being relubed and I get it this wednesday Focusing it is a joy by itself.Those heavy old Rokkors ,like Zeisses Z ,are prone to jump out for freedom,so I'm always very careful with them.

molson
Total Posts: 10871

I need to stop hanging out in the Buy & Sell forum... I just gave in to temptation and acquired a Contax Zeiss Planar 100mm f2 MMJ.

buggz2k
Total Posts: 1718

Cool, I just received mine from eBay purchase.
Always wanted one, now I have.
I will use mine on my Canon EOS3 film camera, Canon 5DMkII, and FujiFilm X-E1.
Oh, I keep forgetting my Kodak SLR/C, man, I need to use it more.
Been getting into film stuffz lately, 35mm and 120mm.
What bodies are you going to use with yours? Just curious...

molson wrote:
I need to stop hanging out in the Buy & Sell forum... I just gave in to temptation and acquired a Contax Zeiss Planar 100mm f2 MMJ.

briantho
Total Posts: 1103

molson wrote:

There are worse lenses to spend money on...

mtuquero
Total Posts: 6

Busy couple of months. Purchased a used Canon 135L from POTN, then took advantage of the Canon's 20% off refurbished 6D.

molson

buggz2k wrote:
What bodies are you going to use with yours? Just curious...

Primarily the Sony A7r, but also the Fuji X-T1.

I've been thinking about picking up another DSLR body but nothing really appeals to me at the moment. Maybe if I stumble across a mint-condition EOS 1Ds Mark III at a good price...

molson

I stumbled across a Zuiko 90mm f2 Macro at a very tempting price this morning, so I had to snap it up... hopefully the condition is a good as advertised.

Now, if I could only find an adapter that would work with my ZE lenses and A7R, I could compare the Zuiko to the Zeiss 100mm f2.

Phillip Reeve
Total Posts: 1555

Canon FD 4/300 L. I had forgotten, that I placed a bid for one a week ago, so now I own two copies

sebboh
Total Posts: 10712

Phillip Reeve wrote:
Canon FD 4/300 L. I had forgotten, that I placed a bid for one a week ago, so now I own two copies

oops, how do you feel about color and CA control with that lens on the a7 btw?

Phillip Reeve

sebboh wrote:
Phillip Reeve wrote:

oops, how do you feel about color and CA control with that lens on the a7 btw?

I think I am much less sensitive about color than you are, but so far I couldn'f find any fault with it in that regard.

CA control is good, but not as good as I had hoped, I think it is inferior to the nFD 2.8/300. The lens improves significantly at f/5.6 but f/4 is good enough for me.

I totally enjoyed the lens in the last few days.

here are some full resolution images:
Canon nFD 300mm 1:4 L by reevedata, on Flickr

LightShow
Total Posts: 5142

Lol, I can think of worse lenses to have 2 copies of.

I'm the proud new owner of an SMC Pentax K 28/2 which is similar to the Contax Hollywood.
http://forum.mflenses.com/asahi-smc-28-2-0-k-mount-t39064.html

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5850

Phillip Reeve wrote:
CA control is good, but not as good as I had hoped, I think it is inferior to the nFD 2.8/300. The lens improves significantly at f/5.6 but f/4 is good enough for me.

The 300/2.8L is a bit better at f/4, but that difference evaporates pretty quickly the more you stop down. And the 2.8 is certainly not spectacular wide open. It takes quite a bit of massaging in post to get the best out of it at f/2.8, but from f/4 on, it's effortless. To me, the biggest advantage of lugging around the faster lens is its performance wide open with the 1.4x, which tames the bokeh and gives the contrast an effective push in the right direction. It's an excellent 420/4.

Phillip Reeve

freaklikeme wrote:
Phillip Reeve wrote:

The 300/2.8L is a bit better at f/4, but that difference evaporates pretty quickly the more you stop down. And the 2.8 is certainly not spectacular wide open. It takes quite a bit of massaging in post to get the best out of it at f/2.8, but from f/4 on, it's effortless. To me, the biggest advantage of lugging around the faster lens is its performance wide open with the 1.4x, which tames the bokeh and gives the contrast an effective push in the right direction. It's an excellent 420/4.

Would you mind sharing some full resolution shots in combination with the 1.4TC? Thanks

W.T. Jones
Total Posts: 153

freaklikeme wrote:
To me, the biggest advantage of lugging around the faster lens is its performance wide open with the 1.4x, which tames the bokeh and gives the contrast an effective push in the right direction. It's an excellent 420/4.

This is encouraging, I just scored one on ebay that is nearby my home, It should be here in a few days.

One of the drawbacks of the FD 500 I have is minimum focus distance of 5 meters.(Yeah I know use an extension tube. Not always handy when you need to get to infinity quickly) The 300 has a MFD of 3m which when used with a 1.4x should work out just about right for my backyard bird shooting. I also plan on using it bare when the light gets low.

I hope the New FD 300-2.8L it is not too terrible at 2.8. What does it suffer from at 2.8? odd bokeh? astigmatism? soft corners?

I figure with the FD 300 and 500 along with what ever Fuji comes up with for a AF super tele zoom, I should be in good shape for the wildlife I like to shoot.

freaklikeme

Phillip Reeve wrote:
freaklikeme wrote:
Phillip Reeve wrote:

Would you mind sharing some full resolution shots in combination with the 1.4TC? Thanks

Here's a couple from today. Let me know if you want to see something else.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/102985582@N02/sets/72157644693700344/

freaklikeme

W.T. Jones wrote:
freaklikeme wrote:
To me, the biggest advantage of lugging around the faster lens is its performance wide open with the 1.4x, which tames the bokeh and gives the contrast an effective push in the right direction. It's an excellent 420/4.

This is encouraging, I just scored one on ebay that is nearby my home, It should be here in a few days.

One of the drawbacks of the FD 500 I have is minimum focus distance of 5 meters.(Yeah I know use an extension tube. Not always handy when you need to get to infinity quickly) The 300 has a MFD of 3m which when used with a 1.4x should work out just about right for my backyard bird shooting. I also plan on using it bare when the light gets low.

I hope the New FD 300-2.8L it is not too terrible at 2.8. What does it suffer from at 2.8? odd bokeh? astigmatism? soft corners?

I figure with the FD 300 and 500 along with what ever Fuji comes up with for a AF super tele zoom, I should be in good shape for the wildlife I like to shoot.

I think you'll like it. It's not horrible. It's actually pretty comparable to the 500 wide open versus f/5.6. I don't know about the corners, though. I've never tried to use it for anything where the corners matter.

Phillip Reeve

freaklikeme wrote:
Phillip Reeve wrote:
freaklikeme wrote:
Phillip Reeve wrote:

Here's a couple from today. Let me know if you want to see something else.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/102985582@N02/sets/72157644693700344/

thanks! For clarification: Is it the last nFD version?

W.T. Jones
Total Posts: 153

freaklikeme wrote:
I think you'll like it. It's not horrible. It's actually pretty comparable to the 500 wide open versus f/5.6.

in that case it should be wonderful
(edit) I had a look at your comparison, it should be good indeed

I don't know about the corners, though. I've never tried to use it for anything where the corners matter.

Very little of what I shoot do the comers matter, that is what macro lenses are for IMHO, as long as the subjects eyes or the bits I want to be sharp are sharp everything else can fade off to obscurity for all I care.

Thanks for the answers Freak, I should see the lens on Monday they tell me.

1       2       3              172      
       174              199       200       end